Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 04-08-2004, 20:43   #21
Guest 33835
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanWilde1966
Lest we forget, Apocalypse Now was a project mooted as early as the late 60s... by George Lucas..
Jeez. Imagine the prequels.
Guest 33835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 21:44   #22
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

John Boorman's "The Chymical Wedding" could have been marvellous. I'd also quite like to have seen what Cronenberg made of "The Singing Detective" (with Pacino), "Basic Instinct 2" and "Total Recall". De Palma's film about the Yablonski murders would have been interesting too.

My great might-have-been is Peckinpah's film of "Play It As It Lays" which he was desperate to do. Considering the almighty mess that Frank Perry made of the film, it couldn't have been any worse, especially since Peckinpah was on fire at the time, following "Wild Bunch", "Ballad of Cable Hogue", "Junior Bonner" and "Straw Dogs". My great never-was-but-I-wish is his film of Cormac McCarthy's great Gothic Western "Blood Meridian". Another one is the information that recently came my way
that Vincente Minnelli wanted to make "The Magus" with Laurence Olivier and Alan Bates.

I also think it's a great shame that John Milius didn't direct "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean", given how much more passionate he was about the project than John Huston.

Some interesting might-have-been casts too. James Mason and Bette Davis in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" always piques my interest, as does Jeremy Irons, Michelle Pfeiffer and Gene Hackman in "Silence of the Lambs".
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 22:04   #23
Guest 12088
Banned

Two John Wayne's for me -

Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove script (that later became the Novel that was turned into the mini series) written for John Wayne, Henry Fonda and James Stewart.

John Carpenter's Blood River. Wayne didn't make it because he'd just done the mostly river set Rooster Cogburn. It was later made for TV with Wilford Brimley in the Wayne part.

Plus James Cameron's Spider-Man. Although I don't think he would have captured the spirit of the comic as well as Raimi has.

I'd also like to see Jerry Lewis The Day the Clown Cried.

Last edited by izombie; 04-08-2004 at 22:09.
Guest 12088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 22:14   #24
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Some interesting might-have-been casts too. James Mason and Bette Davis in "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf" always piques my interest, as does Jeremy Irons, Michelle Pfeiffer and Gene Hackman in "Silence of the Lambs".
How about Robert De Niro as Willard in Apocalypse Now?
DanWilde1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 22:30   #25
cliff homewood
Trusted User

yep another vote for camerons spider-man, I loved his scriptment, and Cronenbergs Total recall. Then there's Gilliams Don Quixote.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 22:54   #26
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
And finally, Top Gun as directed by David Cronenberg would have been fascinating!
I think Cronenberg was offered quite a lot of stuff during this silly season, like Beverley Hills Cop 2 as well.

His Total Recall would have been interesting (there're obvious Cronenberg hangovers in the script): I don't think it would have been anywhere near as much fun (I *love* Verhoeven: " I like violensch! Pleash let me direct Starship Troopersh!"). Wasn't Bruce Bereford also going to do this with Patrick Swayze? Now there's an eclectic mix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Couzens
And while we're on Roeg, how about Bad Timing with Sissy Spacek in the Theresa Russell role? Considering the difference to Roeg's future career (not to mention personal life) if that had gone ahead. However, Spacek decided to do Coal Miner's Daughter instead.
Yuck. I can't imagine that. She's as sexual as a pencil.

I'm quite a large fan of Bad Timing, and I probably wouldn't have as high a regard for it if this were the case.

Freckles. Yuck. Actually, Art Garfunkel - yuck.
Old 04-08-2004, 22:56   #27
anephric
Kidney Thief

David Lynch's Ronny Rocket: always wanted to see this actually get made. Sounded excellent (the alt. title says it all: "The Absurd Mystery of the Strange Forces of Existence.")

Last edited by anephric; 04-08-2004 at 22:57.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 08:38   #28
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

How about Robert De Niro as Willard in Apocalypse Now?

Or indeed, as was nearly the case, Harvey Keitel. And Hackman as Kilgore. Can't quite see it myself, much as I love the Genemeister.

Speaking of Coppola, Laurence Olivier was this close to playing Don Corleone.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:06   #29
James45
Trusted User

I'd love to see Orson Welles' Don Quixote, a film shot over a period of 30 years and still not complete?? It's sounds like an even more extreme version of that fan version of Raiders of the Lost Arc with actors jumping in age from one scene to the next.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 09:40   #30
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45
I'd love to see Orson Welles' Don Quixote, a film shot over a period of 30 years and still not complete?? It's sounds like an even more extreme version of that fan version of Raiders of the Lost Arc with actors jumping in age from one scene to the next.
Yep. Welles took so long over it that both his leading actors died of old age. "But I still plan to finish it," said Welles, a few years before he died too. I seem to recall that he was going to mould it into an F for Fake-style documentary, this time on the "Spanish virtues" - but obviously, this was not to be...
Old 05-08-2004, 13:25   #31
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Or indeed, as was nearly the case, Harvey Keitel.
Keitel shot for a couple of weeks, didn't he? That footage must be banging around the Zoetrope archives somewhere...
Old 05-08-2004, 18:20   #32
Guest 31382
Banned

Any John Carpenter western - preferably directed about 20 years ago. Would've been nice to see what he would have done with the real thing...

Edit: Just noticed the Ronnie Rocket mention. I waited for decades to see this but from what I've read it will never be...

Last edited by andrewcalderuk; 05-08-2004 at 18:23.
Guest 31382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 19:28   #33
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
Keitel shot for a couple of weeks, didn't he? That footage must be banging around the Zoetrope archives somewhere...
Similar state of play with Herzog's Fitzcarraldo - which starred Mick Jagger for a few weeks, before he was replaced...
Old 05-08-2004, 20:08   #34
Guest 155
Trusted User

Some of the Fitzcarraldo footage with Jagger and Jason Robards appears in the documentary Burden of Dreams.

Talking of casts that might have been, can you imagine Dirty Harry with Frank Sinatra in the lead? It's not as bizarre as that may have sounded: Sinatra was a bigger star than Eastwood at the time. As far as I know, studio head John Calley decided to go with a younger, cheaper and edgier star...and the rest is history.

Returning to both Sissy Spacek and David Cronenberg, she was his first choice for Rabid, but the producers didn't think she was well enough known - Badlands hadn't come out yet. I also remember seeing a Variety announcement that she and William Hurt would co-star in a thriller called The Plastic Nightmare, which ended up being made with a different cast for a different company with the same director (Wolfgang Petersen) under a different title - Shattered.
Guest 155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 21:12   #35
DanWilde1966
I no longer post here.

I suppose we could extend this thread to titles that never were too. Off the top of my head is the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi. The original title was going to be Revenge of the Jedi, but Lucas modified it because he did not want the Jedi knights to be associated with an emotion as visceral and basic as revenge. Of course, lots of t-shirts and baseball caps were manufactured with the original title on them - which can now be bought for small fortunes each, I should imagine.

As for Jagger and Robards, I have that Burden of Dreams doc on video, somewhere. Herzog looks especially sociopathic in it - not least, in the famous passage where he recalls threatening to shoot Kinski if he upped and walked off the picture...

Last edited by DanWilde1966; 05-08-2004 at 21:14.
Old 05-08-2004, 21:13   #36
GarethH
Idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfung
Sergio Leone's version of 'The Godfather'.

Think he was offered the script before Coppola.
Don't even go there! I don't even want to think how Godfather would have been if somebody else directed it. It's a masterpiece and thats all that matters

Last edited by GarethH; 05-08-2004 at 21:14.
GarethH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 21:23   #37
TheDot
Space Monkey

Rocky 6

or is it still in the pipeline??
Old 05-08-2004, 21:42   #38
CLH
La Bender

Red Storm Rising.........it would cost a billion to put that on the screen with the detail required.
CLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 23:20   #39
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Herzog looks especially sociopathic in it - not least, in the famous passage where he recalls threatening to shoot Kinski if he upped and walked off the picture...
The antipathy between Herzog and Kinski is the stuff of filmic legends and I savour it so...

The My Best Fiend doc is great viewing also.
Old 05-08-2004, 23:23   #40
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
I Off the top of my head is the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi. The original title was going to be Revenge of the Jedi, but Lucas modified it because he did not want the Jedi knights to be associated with an emotion as visceral and basic as revenge. Of course, lots of t-shirts and baseball caps were manufactured with the original title on them - which can now be bought for small fortunes each, I should imagine.
Lucasfilm actually had the gall to claim that the Revenge title was put out to counter merchandising ripoffs and in a horribly patronising press release stated that, of course, true Star Wars fans would know a Jedi doesn't use his powers for revenge.

It was actually fan consternation that caused Lucas to change the title. Nice to see he's dragged it out of the cupboard for Part III.