Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2008, 15:20   #81
Roberto
OMG! it's full of stars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
That's what I thought about reading books on PDA at first, but you do get used to it pretty quickly. If I've been doing a lot of ebook reading and then pick up a paper book I'm likely to get confused when I can't just tap the page to make it turn over, or when I try to copy and paste something off the page.
Hello Computer!?!?!
Old 10-09-2008, 15:54   #82
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
I would normally have more than pockets available for storage though, on a trip, to be fair. I carry two or three paperbacks around with me normally, and I don't ever need more than that at once.
2001 wants its arguments against owning an iPod back... Well I'm not entirely serious but certainly I remember similar discussions to these being had about hard-drive MP3 players when they first came out. Why would you ever NEED access to that many albums? Where's the romance of the tape deck gone? The quality is too bad... yadayadayada.

Right now it's definitely a luxury item and too pricey but give it 5 years and maybe they'll be as ubiquitous as MP3 players.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 16:05   #83
Dodgy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoGB View Post
2001 wants its arguments against owning an iPod back...
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=500

Dave.

Last edited by Dodgy; 10-09-2008 at 16:05.
Dodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 16:13   #84
yaffle
Grammar Nazi

Quote:
Right now it's definitely a luxury item and too pricey but give it 5 years and maybe they'll be as ubiquitous as MP3 players.
I don't think it's that simple. The key difference here is that it's relatively straightfoward to rip your existing CDs onto an iPod - that's what helped the format take off. You can't rip your existing books to the ebook reader.

If you hadn't been able to rip CDs onto iPods, but instead had only been able to download albums and tracks from iTunes (at equivalent cost to buying a CD, or even higher cost), and had there not been a healthy supply of P2P Mp3s (as there isn't currently for eBooks) then would the iPod or MP3 players generally have taken off as they did? I doubt it.

I think eBooks need to become much, much cheaper to overcome this initial takeup barrier.
yaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 16:15   #85
Dodgy
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaffle View Post
I don't think it's that simple. The key difference here is that it's relatively straightfoward to rip your existing CDs onto an iPod - that's what helped the format take off. You can't rip your existing books to the ebook reader.

If you hadn't been able to rip CDs onto iPods, but instead had only been able to download albums and tracks from iTunes (at equivalent cost to buying a CD, or even higher cost), and had there not been a healthy supply of P2P Mp3s (as there isn't currently for eBooks) then would the iPod or MP3 players generally have taken off as they did? I doubt it.
Very good point well made.
Old 10-09-2008, 16:22   #86
Guest 58450
Poke Us White Face

Quote:

I think eBooks need to become much, much cheaper to overcome this initial takeup barrier.
Well yeah, it needs to be way cheaper for takeup, but while you can't rip your existing books there could be advantages for the reader:
- I hate the whole hardback release, paperback release 12-18th months later thing as I can't be bothered lugging a hardback, so instant ownership of a book without that bulk could be good.
- Possibly some sort of exchange of a paper version of a book to a recycling station in return for the ebook might happen.

They've definitely got some uphill work ahead of them, more so than MP3 players but I do get a vague sense in this thread of two sets of justifications going on: Those who want to feel good about spending too much and those who want to convince themselves that they don't secretly want to spend too much on it.
Guest 58450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 16:24   #87
allan175
Trusted User

Quote:

I think you'd be surprised if you tried to pirate some ebooks, there are loads available! The quality isn't always fantastic (dodgy OCRing I guess) but they are certainly readable.

However I don't think readers will catch on in the same way because I'd say a lot less people read books than listen to music.
Old 14-09-2008, 08:21   #88
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,102 Times in 896 Posts
edited pcpro review
Quote:
The PRS-505 marries style and purpose to stunning effect. If you can bear the price tag and do without the ability to annotate text, this eBook reader could make you the envy of everyone on the bus. ... Indeed, it would take a soul devoid of any sort of joy not to completely fall in love with the PRS-505 at first sight. Clad in silver and wrapped in a magnetised tan leatherette cover which clings to the device when closed, Sony's eBook reader exudes an elegance that bewitches before it's even turned on.

A shade smaller than a DVD case, the PRS-505 weighs in at a reassuring 0.25kg; just heavy enough to give you the confidence to sling it in a bag, but not so cumbersome that it becomes uncomfortable to use for long periods. ... can be used one-handed ...

... 6in E Ink screen which delivers a page in eight shades of grey, mimicking the look of words on paper so that even a protracted period with War and Peace won't send you away rubbing red eyes. ... only consuming power when changing page, and this means the rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts a long time - around 6,800 page turns.

... one major flaw ... It is painfully slow. And while a two-second delay turning pages can be accommodated, that leniency does not extend to the menus which can be four pages deep before you get anywhere near the eBook you're after.

The accompanying software is equally uninspiring, though anybody familiar with iTunes circa 2005 will be instantly at home. ... you do receive 100 "classics" on an accompanying CD, which to our astonishment actually includes plenty of stuff worth reading, with Dickens, Bronte and Dostoyevsky.

If wireless and annotation are high on your agenda, the Rex Iliad is probably the better bet - it offers both and a touchscreen for double the price - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/125302. But if it's style and a magnificent reading experience you're after, we simply can't fault the PRS-505.

SPECIFICATIONS: eBook reader, 200MB integrated flash memory, supports EPUB eBook, BBeB Book, Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, and txt formats, mp3, aac, jpeg, gif, png, and bmp picture and audio formats, MS Duo and SD card memory slots, 3.5mm audio output, 122 x 175 x 8mm (WHD), 260g.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/22423...er-prs505.html
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 09:04   #89
Dodgy
Trusted User

Good review here - http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09...rs_505_reader/

Dave.
Old 14-09-2008, 12:27   #90
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
2001 wants its arguments against owning an iPod back... Well I'm not entirely serious but certainly I remember similar discussions to these being had about hard-drive MP3 players when they first came out. Why would you ever NEED access to that many albums? Where's the romance of the tape deck gone? The quality is too bad... yadayadayada.

But the big difference between books and music, and huge hurdle, these things have to get over is, I can't ever remember thinking, 'I'm a bit bored of chapter 9 of this, I fancy reading chapter 4 of that instead and then switching to chapter 11 of something else' which happens all the time when listening to music.

I like the stretchy plastic version, but can't help thinking that by the time they do become affordable, there'll be something even better just around the corner (actual paper ones with built in liquid crystal etc etc).
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 13:55   #91
Guest 10192
Trusted User

Can you read comic scans in jpeg format on this?
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 15:46   #92
Captain_Howdy666
Made of 100% pure awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
Yes, but they won't be in colour. You could also create a PDF file from those JPEGs and then read that.
Old 14-09-2008, 16:45   #93
Guest 10192
Trusted User

No point really if they're not in colour.
Guest 10192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 19:22   #94
Niceguygeoff
I Do Deny Them My Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenza View Post
I tried it with a few pages of Watchmen (PDF format). I can accept the images not being in colour, but the text is usually so small it can only be easily read when zoomed in, which is too much like hard work TBH.
Niceguygeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2008, 19:32   #95
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

I wouldn't mind one of these. But I wouldn't pay more than £50 for one. Hopefully in the next few years.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:22   #96
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Sony's PRS-700

Sony's PRS-700 Digital Book Reader has just been announced (02 Oct) -

some of the improvements over its predecessor include a touch screen 6" display and built-in LED reading light - available Nov08 @ ~$400 -

- http://gizmodo.com/5058380/sonys-prs...een-frontlight
- http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665562069
- http://news.sel.sony.com/en/press_ro...ase/37586.html
Old 04-10-2008, 09:04   #97
Guest 15453
Trusted User

Isn't the point that most people find it difficult/not enjoyable to read for long periods of time on computer monitors. I've heard reading on the ebook readers is more like reading paper...
Guest 15453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 05:50   #98
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Amazon's US-only Kindle replacement gets a revamp, ingeniously called the Kindle-2, pics leaked - http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...ts-way-to-bgr/

EDIT

PCPro's review of the BeBook (£229, Oct08) - http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/229170/bebook.html

Last edited by driver8; 10-10-2008 at 07:25.
Old 11-10-2008, 14:46   #99
Guest 22039
Trusted User

Gotta say I have just bought one of these and feel no remorse whatsoever. Fantastic piece of kit and definitely the nicest of all the ebook readers out there... also the cheapest. Yeah its a relatively new market so early adopters are paying for it a little. It is really damn good though, reading on the screen and having access to all that literature. If you like reading I'm sure you'll love it. The screen refreshes incredibly quickly and I don't find the change discomforting at all. It's not like the refresh of a computer screen that is actively illuminated. I don't know how keen Waterstones would be about this but I would recommend picking one up even if you return it in 14 days as per your legal rights.
Guest 22039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 15:34   #100
driver8
eviscerate your memory

so which ebook reader did you get, monki2k2, and why'd you choose that model ?