Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Notices

Old 27-03-2006, 09:04   #21
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

Other threads of relevance:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6881000
http://p098.ezboard.com/fscarletstre...041&stop=10060

Some earlier posts (from haineshisway and others!) on that ez thread around the 400 page mark.

Any kind of comment/criticism on MHVF.net is notable by itís total absence
Guest 1764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:56   #22
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

Lucas too busy for a more recent update so the May one is the last communique from on high: http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/

The headline "a day early" will cause impromptu titters, guffaws or cries of anguish depending upon how "invested" in this saga you are.

Iíve seen 2010 mentioned now as the publication date on another forum. I donít think that poster had any more definitive knowledge than anyone else (letís face it Lucas himself has no idea if/when itíll be completed) but the fact that he/she mentioned this casually, without outrage, does have me shaking my head in disbelief at the hypnotic effect Lucasí excuses seem to have on his fans.

I note also that Troy Howarthís Bava book (which IIRC Lucas was dismissive of before publication) has not only been published long, long ago in both soft and hardback but has also gone out of print since then! The publishers should get him to expand it, reprint and offer $5 off to anyone able to produce one of Lucasí wretched bookmarks as evidence of their finally eroded patience.

Last edited by jonathan.e; 06-06-2006 at 07:58.
Old 13-06-2006, 22:57   #23
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

A fresh crock available to view:

http://www.bavabook.blogspot.com/

Apparently Donna is a massive 250 pages into the layout! Whatís that you say? They said it was ready to be given to the printer last year and blamed him for the delay? Surely that canít be right......

Never mind. Tim promises a December delivery and he always keeps his promises and never ever misses his deadlines.
Old 14-06-2006, 07:35   #24
anephric
Kidney Thief

Ah, but Tim has added fresh content, which means the whole thing has to be set out again "properly".

I hadn't got around for asking for my refund yet, but I will now. I could spend that money on candy bars and loose women.
anephric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 17:38   #25
Guest 53019
Trusted User

His latest non-update from a couple of weeks ago says Donna is now at the half-way point into the layout which was supposedly done last year when the excuse was that the printer pulling out was the cause of the delay. As those who've been following this sorry saga know, Tim has now promised that the book will be ready for shipping in December of January. His acolytes are positive that this time he will deliver. Let's do the math:

He states that there is a three-month turnaround for printing this massive 1200 page tome - that, of course, is folly, but let's say it's true. It's now coming up on August next week. Donna is HALFWAY through the layout and Tim is once again reading his tome (he LOVES it, BTW) and presumably will be making more corrections and additions knowing his anal/compulsive personality. If Donna is HALFWAY through, and Tim is STILL proofing I would seriously doubt that they'll be finished by September, which is when they'd have to turn the book over to the printers in order to get it back some time in December so that they could ship it to even arrive in January. I think that it's fairly obvious we'll be getting another update sometime in August or September saying that despite all their Herculean efforts, January simply will not be possible. And the Followers of Tim will say - "Great, we're not in a hurry, take as much time as you need." He will announce a new date and the followers will be REAL certain that that date will be met.

And the world goes 'round and 'round and 'round and 'round...
Guest 53019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 17:40   #26
anephric
Kidney Thief

Scarily enough, I put in for my refund just this week. Time goes slow in my world.
Old 28-07-2006, 17:43   #27
SIMON ADEBISI

6 yrs and waiting. Ye are patient chaps.
SIMON ADEBISI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 17:48   #28
anephric
Kidney Thief

Not any more.
Old 28-07-2006, 17:57   #29
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by haineshisway
... this massive 1200 page tome...
Dear god, the size!
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 00:29   #30
Guest 53019
Trusted User

http://www.videowatchdog.com/home/home.html

Well, there you have it. He JUST received a signature from Mr. Scorsese - I guess we weren't going to have a signature last September when the book was definitely shipping. In principal the book is finished. In PRINCIPAL! Now it's between Donna and the Hong Kong printer, and they're in a holding pattern over color.

Well, his three-month turnaround just went to hell in terms of his promise of a December shipping. Now it will be next March or April, only there'll be a problem with the printer and they're working on it folks just be patient and then it will be next December and any minute now folks and it will run on longer than this very run on sentence. Basically, Mr. Lucas has completely lost his sanity.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:10   #31
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

I must find out which make of monitor Donna has been using. Iíve had 3 in the last 8 years and would love to know where I can find one of these super-duper long-lasting models. Donnaís monitor should already be "calibrated" on a daily basis. For anyone working with print it is essential that their monitor matches accepted colour tables as without that itís like NTSC - Never The Same Colour Twice.

Nicely irritated tone on Lucasí reply to the legitimate question from a patient punter. He clearly sees them as a bothersome intrusion now, something to be brushed away so that he can get on with re-writing chapter 1 for the nth time.

Hope Scorsese wonít mind too much when heís asked to re-do his signature a dozen times or submit a range of pictures so the most Bava-esque one can be identified lest it upset the delicate balance of the meisterwerk.

Itís quite sickening to still see talk of layouts and proofing at this stage, itís sixth year of "production". The man clearly has no shame.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:30   #32
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,141 Posts
Seems he's fightened to let it go. Only hope he doesn't do a George Lucas over this.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 09:06   #33
Guest 9853

George Lucas? Can he do that? Replace real pages with CGI ones? Maybe Tim is actually CGI too and this is all a dream.

Makes me glad I never pre-ordered this book. I'd be pretty annoyed by now if I had. When I pay for something I reasonably expect that payment to be rewarded with the product I have paid for. Surely this concept isn't too difficult to grasp..?

I hate to be uncharitable towards Tim, but this really isn't a good way to conduct business.

Then again, he and George do share the same surname, so maybe a CGI book isn't far from the truth...
Guest 9853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 10:11   #34
Lik Mearse
Trusted User

Fellow Readers,

Leaving aside anyone's funding of Lucas' lavish lifestyle, I must be the only one who keeps looking at the book samples and thinks it has an ugly four column layout and either ridiculously large text or very small pages. From the page count (715!) it looks the latter - maybe it's "Video Watchdog" size!

Maybe he's realised the same.

Yours Proofingly,
Lik

Last edited by Lik Mearse; 10-09-2006 at 10:15.
Lik Mearse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 15:51   #35
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Yes, he was irritated because someone asked him a question about a book promised for six years. Brilliant customer relations. And the page count is over eleven hundred pages (in a previous update he brags that sanity has prevailed and that he's reformatted some storyboards and the book is thirty pages shorter because of it). One of Mr. Lucas's "fans" keeps writing me and actually offered to bet me money that this time Tim would deliver as promised in December. I wouldn't take the money bet (not with someone I don't know via the Internet), but I did say that whoever was wrong had to make a public apology on the Scarlet Street message board. I don't think he will, but it is already abundently clear that I have won this bet.
Old 10-09-2006, 16:36   #36
anephric
Kidney Thief

I cancelled my preorder late last month and spent the refund on chocolate and ice cream. It was the sweetest confectionary I had ever tasted.
Old 10-09-2006, 16:58   #37
Guest 53019
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric
I cancelled my preorder late last month and spent the refund on chocolate and ice cream. It was the sweetest confectionary I had ever tasted.

Old 10-09-2006, 17:02   #38
Guest 53019
Trusted User

I've started a thread at Scarlet Street specifically devoted to The Neverending Story. Feel free to join in. We know Tim and his followers read the Scarlet Street boards daily.

http://p219.ezboard.com/fscarletstre...icID=198.topic
Old 10-09-2006, 17:03   #39
Guest 1764
Dry hairís for squids

Whappen to the loose women?
Old 10-09-2006, 17:10   #40
anephric
Kidney Thief

Forget about the loose women. They were conditional.