Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 22-05-2006, 19:59   #61
Dave h-j
Suitable for vegetarians

So how many of these are you thinking of writing? Is it a case of doing it until you are rich/famous/bored or do you see a natural end when they all get too old for the campus..
Dave h-j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 15:55   #62
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
Glad he liked them. I think of my books as 10 or 11+ and I'm often surprised by how young some of the kids who read them are. It basically goes to show how pointless it is to try putting reading ages on books. Some kids are just way ahead of others.
He'll be 10 next week . He's not read The Killing yet, but will start it on Saturday.

He commented that there are some naughty words in Divine Madness, but it wasn't a complaint, and no worse than he hears on the school bus every day. I guess that would be the only downside of encouraging children to read books aimed for older children.
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 20:01   #63
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave h-j
So how many of these are you thinking of writing? Is it a case of doing it until you are rich/famous/bored or do you see a natural end when they all get too old for the campus..
I've just signed a contract for 9&10.

On the one hand the books are really selling (Not in the JK Rowling or Jacqueline Wilson league but probably one of the 20 biggest selling children's authors at the moment. Divine Madness peaked at number 5 on the official children's bestseller list) on the other it gets harder to come up with fresh ideas so I'll probably do something else after number ten.
Old 23-05-2006, 20:18   #64
Floop
Medium Sized Member

9 and 10 - that's great news!

I still think there should be a movie, but I suppose the market is crowded with the 'other' British-adolescent-as-spy movie on the way through.

On the other hand, Horowitz seems to have slowed down the pace of his books so maybe you can step in and steal his thunder.

Have you two ever met? Would you have a fistfight if you did?!
Floop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2006, 20:51   #65
Guest 25704
xboxlive : see jay dee

If you do get stuck for ideas, can I suggest evil twins? Just add a 'tache and it's all good.
Guest 25704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2006, 11:00   #66
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floop
9 and 10 - that's great news!

I still think there should be a movie, but I suppose the market is crowded with the 'other' British-adolescent-as-spy movie on the way through.

On the other hand, Horowitz seems to have slowed down the pace of his books so maybe you can step in and steal his thunder.

Have you two ever met? Would you have a fistfight if you did?!
Never met Horowitz, although I live in Tufnell Park and he lives in Highgate which is only ten minutes walk up a hill. He doesn't mix much, I've been to awards and stuff where he's been nominated and not turned up.

Movie negotiations with a British production company are ongoing, I've even heard a rumour that there will be a bit of paper to sign within 2/3 months but I'm not holding my breath...
Old 30-06-2006, 08:45   #67
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler
I was worried that it might be a bit old for him, but apparently not. Just off on holiday this week, so bought him The Killing which should keep him happy for a while.
My son finally got round to starting this last week and then couldn't put it down, so finished it earlier this week. He wanted me to say how much he liked it.

Gives the thread a bump for the new forumites who don't know about our forum's resident celebrity too!
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 08:50   #68
Guest 18363
Trusted User

Can you make a living writing books? A friend/collegue of mine wrote a book once and said it was good but time consuming.
Guest 18363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 08:53   #69
Guest 8997
Half Monkey, Half Man

Well done........from a none book reader.
Guest 8997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 10:31   #70
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal792
Can you make a living writing books? A friend/collegue of mine wrote a book once and said it was good but time consuming.
Well it's RIP to the book forum, I guess and this thread is now back where it started!

Can you make a living as a writer?

Even if you get through the difficult phase of getting your novel accepted by a publisher (About 1 in 200 makes it) you can expect an advance of £3-5000. Sales of an average first novel are less than 2000 copies so you won't see any royalties on top of that.

About 100,000 books are published each year in the UK. Less than 1,000 of these will sell more than 10,000 copies. On an average 45p per copy starter royalty, that means 99% of authors never earn out their advance and make less than £5000 from their book.

I'm one of the lucky minority. I've sold over 250,000 books since The Recruit was published in April 2004 and sales are acclerating. All the big chains are now supporting my CHERUB series and the latest even got to No4 on the children's bestseller lists.

Combined with foreign sales (just signed a nice juicy deal for French rights after a bidding war), film rights, appearene fees etc my income is now into low six figure terratory.

And much as I like to think that my current success is down to the quality of my writing, I've got to admit that I've also been UNBELIEVABLY lucky to have got this far and ended up earning a good living doing what I've always wanted to do.
Old 30-06-2006, 11:05   #71
Guest 37924
Hull City - Grrr Tigers!

I hate you, you talented ****.

Guest 37924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 15:37   #72
tizza
cranial deficient

Thats great, its good to hear a real success story. Enjoy you time here as in another few years you wont even spit on us

But serious, congrats, can I ask how long you had been writing before you got picked up?
tizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 15:45   #73
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza
Thats great, its good to hear a real success story. Enjoy you time here as in another few years you wont even spit on us

Congrats bollecks, must get around to giving one of your books a go sometime soon.

Anyone else pointed out the CHERUB books in Smiths to someone and said "Bloke who wrote that posts on the same internet forum as I do!".

Me neither
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 15:47   #74
Remains
trust nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal792
Certainly can!

A friend of mine, Chris Wooding, started writing books when he was about 20 and he's doing very well for himself now. He got picked up by a publisher when he was still young, so was very fortunate like that, and has basically always made a career from it - and a very good one too, or so I'm led to believe!

Have you ever crossed paths by the way bollecks? I think he writes in the same ballpark as you and towards the same target audience...
Remains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 18:04   #75
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizza

But serious, congrats, can I ask how long you had been writing before you got picked up?
It took me about 4 months to get an agent, then I spend a couple of months reworking the book with her before we submitted it to publishers. Getting a publisher took anoter 9 months.

People don't realise that getting the agent is the tricky bit.

Jackl972 - I've never met Chris Wooding but I recognised the covers when I popped his name into Amazon. Most of his books are SF/Fantasy, which means he probably moves in slightly different circles; conventions and stuff like that.
Old 30-06-2006, 19:40   #76
stevejm
Senior Moment

Congratulations - don't have kids yet - but give it another 40 days or so ...

Any chance of a cameo part for the DVD Forums in your next book

Last edited by stevejm; 30-06-2006 at 19:41.
stevejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 20:13   #77
ajw000
Trusted User

noticed your name on the edinburgh book festival guide(or website, can't remember). Doing anything fun up here bollecks? Childrens workshop? Reading?
ajw000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2006, 20:16   #78
bollecks
Friend to Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw000
noticed your name on the edinburgh book festival guide(or website, can't remember). Doing anything fun up here bollecks? Childrens workshop? Reading?
Just my standard event, reading talking about my life Q&A etc.

I was quite pleased that my event sold out before Eoin Colfer (thought to be fair he is in a bigger venue!)
Old 27-07-2006, 08:21   #79
GK
43rd Longest Serving

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollecks
It took me about 4 months to get an agent, then I spend a couple of months reworking the book with her before we submitted it to publishers. Getting a publisher took anoter 9 months.

People don't realise that getting the agent is the tricky bit.
My 9 year old daughter just read 'The Recruit' - I bought it for her based on this thread, I guess. She loved it. I quickly read it before giving it to her and I can see why.

Anyway, some questions if you don't mind. What did you go to agents with - a completed manuscript ? Or just outline and sample chapter(s) or what ? How many did you approach and did you contact them in advance asking if they'd see your work or did you just send it on spec anyway ? What were the major changes that came as a result of the agent's suggestions ? Cheers.
GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 08:58   #80
Guest 47887
New Clear Fizzy Cyst

Forgot about this thread, but i picked up all 5 of these a while ago and thought they were excellent

Defineately going to buy the rest of them and i was very impressed by the believability that he was a normal 10 yr old, and not the unrealistic kids from *cough* other books

Good luck in the future with these.

Last edited by mattbrat; 27-07-2006 at 08:59.
Guest 47887 is offline   Reply With Quote