Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Books and Comics Discussion

Notices

Old 05-02-2005, 19:06   #21
ji
Just another member

Partly as a result of this thread I moved this series up my purchasing list, and I can say that the whole thing is excellent. I echo the previous comment about killing prime characters - the part where (WARNING - major spoiler relates to 2nd half of book 3 and will totally ruin your enjoyment of the series if you have not read it yet)

I'm not joking - go away if you haven't read this far

My only other comment might be that for those that found the rape scene in the Thomas Covenant series too strong, this series is very gritty, and ful of strong language and sexual content. Whilst it is not gratuitous or out of place, it might offend some.

For those who are waiting on book 4, there are a couple of short stories of his in the Legends and Legends II short story collections. These are actually pretty good intros to a range of good fantaasy authors.
Old 08-02-2005, 16:10   #22
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

I have a proof copy of the first one of these from when I worked in W'stones. Never took it seriously because I didn't want to get caught waiting for the next volume. Is it seriously worth it then?

One I am caught waiting for is Greg Keyes new sequence. Those of you who like fantasy sagas should love this. Start with "The Briar King" - out now in paperback. Book 2 is out in hardback and I'm waiting for 3 and 4, sigh...

That's why I was trying to save Martin until all the books were out there.

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 14:51   #23
Guest 35149
Trusted User

It's a good series, but you will be stuck waiting for next book.
Guest 35149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2005, 15:38   #24
Guest 11760
Cowboy From Hell

Be a shame if anything happened to the author prior to the final book being written.
Guest 11760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2005, 14:25   #25
Guest 35149
Trusted User

Every time I remember that I'm waiting for the next one, I keep wondering what the odds are of George being flattened by a squadron of stampeding moose, or whatever
Guest 35149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 17:04   #26
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Holy mackerel, I just finished the second book, A Clash Of Kings and I can honestly say that these books are utterly incredible. Shame books are all so damn expensive these days, I really can't wait to continue reading.

I was looknig at some websites devoted to this series and several have a part on who would be perfect to play each part if a movie/tv series was made. Strangely enough, many people mentioned actors who I had in my head as I read through.

Tyrion: Warwick Davis
King Robert: John Rhys Davies
Queen Cersei: Miranda Richardson
Jaime Lannister: Val Kilmer/Brad Pitt??
Littlefinger: Kevin Spacey
Theon Greyjoy: James Callis (from Battlestar Galactica)
Eddard Stark: Viggo Mortensen (but of course!)
The Hound: Ron Perlman
Khal Drago: The Rock
Renly: Hugh Jackman
Stannis: Robert Patrick
Daeneryn: Olivia d'Abo
Viserys: Brad Dourif
Hodor: Arnold Schwarzenegger!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 30-04-2005 at 10:39.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 16:46   #27
Ghost Dog
Xbox Live: Spacescape

I love this series and it is the only fantasy series i really care about anymore. I have been waiting almost FIVE years for the latest book ( A Storm Of Swords came out in Aug 2000 and i read it in a few days) and the wait for A Feast For Crows is getting ever more painful . Still no word on if it is finished or when it is likely to be released, probably not this year alas!
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 16:49   #28
Ghost Dog
Xbox Live: Spacescape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMid1098
The third book was in two parts, I guess the fourth "book" will be a trilogy of its own.
Actually the original hardcover and oversized paperback releases were one volume and ran to about 900 pages or so. The later mass market paperback was split into two volumes though.
Ghost Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 20:44   #29
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Do we have a projected number of volumes for this series?

J
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 16:05   #30
Guest 10207
Trusted User

I believe he originally planned to write 3 books, however this has been extended to 6.

I ordered the next book as soon as I finished the last book, which I finished about 2 days after I read the last book. Its been friggin ages but hopefully worth thw wait.

He also published a chapter of the forthcoming book in a sci fi mag Dragon I think its called and had a few chapters on his website.
Guest 10207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 09:50   #31
roddy
Trusted User

Just finished the third after picking up the series on the recommendations above, and even though I'm not usually a swords and dragons fan, I've seriously enjoyed these and would love to go round to Mr Martin's house to force him to write quicker, at greatsword point if needs be, ser.

What I loved about them, and as is mentioned above, is that you just don't know what is going to happen next. You pretty soon realise that nobody is sacred, and the whole thing reads more like a dramatization of history, where the good guys a) don't always win and b) ain't always actually that good, than any conventional narrative. And we're not talking pretty little 'I am your father' twists either. The part mentioned above (also in spoilers), where

completely changed the direction of the tale.

I think the quality of the writing is top-notch too - both action and character-development are riveting, and some of the dialogue is fantastic. Thankfully, it also remembers not to take itself too seriously - which is one of the problems I often have with this genre.

Going to stop now, or I'll talk myself into re-reading the first three to fill the gap till the next
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 11:38   #32
Brood
Trusted User

Agree with the above.

I am about to read them all again in anticipation of the next novel.

I would heartily recommend them to anyone whether they are a fan of fantasy or not.

Gripping, gritty and totally engrossing.
Brood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 11:47   #33
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Aaaaarrgghh!! .. Every time I see this thread updated, I think it's someone announcing a release-date for the next novel ....... Come on George!!!!
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 11:48   #34
Brood
Trusted User

hehe that's what I thought when I saw it ...
Brood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 16:18   #35
Guest 10207
Trusted User

lol thats what I thought too. damn
Guest 10207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 18:03   #36
riz1
Trusted User

the only problem is that the writing is so damned involved [a good thing] that by the time he finally gets round to releasing the next one you've lost the thread and have go back.

i bloody bought a storm of swords twice [hardback and paperback] because i had forgotten i had read it and thought it was the next one!

2 years extra delay...sigh...
riz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 10:44   #37
Guest 23494
Trusted User

HE'S DONE!!!!!!!

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/

for those too lazy to click

-----------------------------------------

No, I haven't finished writing everything I wanted to include in A FEAST FOR CROWS. I have wrapped up a whole bunch of characters and storylines since the last update in January, but "a whole bunch" does not equate to "all."

And I was facing another problem as well: the sheer size of the book.

All of the books in this series have been big, mind you. A GAME OF THRONES weighed in at 1088 pages in manuscript, not counting the appendices. A CLASH OF KINGS was even longer at 1184 pages, not counting the appendices. And A STORM OF SWORDS measured a gargantuan 1521 pages in manuscript, not counting the (etc).

Any publisher will tell you that a book as big as A STORM OF SWORDS is a production nightmare, and STORM did indeed cause problems for many of my publishers around the world. In some languages it was divided into two, three, or even four volumes. Bantam published STORM in a single volume in the United States, but not without difficulty. Pretty much everyone agreed that it would be a really good thing if the fourth volume in the series came in somewhat shorter than STORM, so I set out with the idea of delivering a FEAST closer in length to A CLASH OF KINGS.

Alas for good intentions. In hindsight, I should have known better. The story makes its own demands, as Tolkien once said, and my story kept demanding to get bigger and more complicated.

I passed A CLASH OF KINGS last year, and still had plenty more to write. By January, I had more than 1300 pages, and still had storylines unfinished. About three weeks ago I hit 1527 pages of final draft, surpassing A STORM OF SWORDS... but I also had another hundred or so pages of roughs and incomplete chapters, as well as other chapters sketched out but entirely unwritten. That was when I realized that the light I'd seen at the end of the tunnel was actually the headlight of an onrushing locomotive.

And that's why my publishers and I, after much discussion and weighing of alternatives, have decided to split the narrative into two books (printing in microtype on onion skin paper and giving each reader a magnifying glass was not considered feasible, and I was reluctant to make the sort of deep cuts that would have been necessary to get the book down to a more publishable length, which I felt would have compromised the story).

The first plan was simply to lop the text in half. In that scenario, I would finish the last few chapters in as short a length (and time) as possible. That would have produced a story of maybe 1650 to 1700 pages in manuscript, which we would simply have broken into two chunks of roughly equal length and published as A FEAST FOR CROWS, Part One and A FEAST FOR CROWS, Part Two.

We decided not to do that. It was my feeling -- and I pushed hard for this, so if you don't like the solution, blame me, not my publishers -- that we were better off telling all the story for half the characters, rather than half the story for all the characters. Cutting the novel in half would have produced two half-novels; our approach will produce two novels taking place simultaneously, but set hundreds or even thousands of miles apart, and involving different casts of characters (with some overlap).

The division has been done, and it think it works quite well. The upshot is, A FEAST FOR CROWS is now moving into production. It is still a long book, but not too long; about the same size as A GAME OF THRONES. The focus in FEAST will be on Westeros, King's Landing, the riverlands, Dorne, and the Iron Islands. More than that I won't say.

Meanwhile, all the characters and stories removed from FEAST are moving right into A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, which will focus on events in the east and north. All the chapters I have not yet finished and/or begun are moving into DANCE. I think this is very good, if truth be told, since it will give me the room to complete those arcs as I had originally intended, rather than trying to tie them up quickly in a chapter or two so I could deliver the massively late Big FEAST.

So there it is. I know some of you may be disappointed, especially when you buy A FEAST FOR CROWS and discover that your favorite character does not appear, but given the realities I think this was the best solution... and the more I look at it, the more convinced I am that these two parallel novels, when taken together, will actually tell the story better than one big book.

And if there are those who don't agree, and still want their Big FEAST with all the trimmings set out on one huge table... well, there's an easy fix. Get both books, razor the pages out with an Exacto knife, interleave the chapters as you think best, and bring the towering stack of text that results to your favorite bookbinder... and presto, chango the Big FEAST will live again.

As for me, I am getting back to work. There's good news on that front too -- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS is half-done!!!

(And before anyone asks, yes indeed, this development means that Parris was right all along. It will now probably require seven books to complete the story).

—George R.R. Martin, May 29, 2005
Guest 23494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 11:00   #38
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Perfect! I'm just about to start A Storm Of Swords so that will lead nicely into this without too long a wait. Interesting tactic he's taking by making two seperate books out of it, hopefully it will work out well.

That's assuming I don't have to wait an extra year for a paperback edition to come out.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 11:36   #39
roddy
Trusted User

Thanks for posting that

In the meantime I've been reading a bit of his early science fiction - quite fun stuff.

Roddy
roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2005, 11:33   #40
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Great News! ... A shame i've forgotten everything about the previous novels though. Has anyone tried the audiobooks? ... Maybe they will be a quicker option to catch up?
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote