Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2019, 11:57   #41
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I was hoping that would get picked up by a UK broadcaster, but nothing yet.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:11   #42
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH View Post
just started Weird City - new anthology show from Jordan Peele

Each of the episodes is set in the same city but with different story/cast

They're all a bit like a 'nice' Black Mirror episode - not brill, but perfectly OK
got round to watching these last night and enjoyed them for what they are. Nothing major, a fun bit of fluff I thought. Not sure why the reviews on IMDB are so bad, but that's the internet I guess.
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 18:24   #43
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
A couple more new shows for the pile:

Warrior is worth a look if you like your martial arts. Based on the writings of Bruce Lee (I'm told it was his initial pitch for Kung Fu before Warners went with David Carradine back in the 70s), it's about Chinese immigrants in San Francisco in the late 1800s & being a Cinemax show, it's full of swearing, blood & gratuitous nudity. Plus you get a fight every ten minutes, so there's no time to get bored. Hope they can keep the pace up...

Fans of Super Troopers might want to check out Tacoma FD, about a small-town fire department & their idiotic shenanigans. It's created by Kevin Heffernan & Steve Lemme from Broken Lizard & the humour is much the same as ST.

The pilot episode of Canadian cop drama Hudson & Rex about a cop & his canine partner was quite terrible. I can only assume the lead guy was a model before he was hired for this, as he (& the rest of the cast) is easily out-acted by the dog in every single scene. People who grew up in the early 80s might look at this as The Littlest Hobo Joins The Police. Skip it.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 11:12   #44
aprout
worn to perfection

Well, the new TV season started in the US this week:

Bluff City Law is the first of this season's new law shows, about a big city lawyer who joins her estranged father's small Memphis firm. Jimmy Smits adds a bit of class to the proceedings, but the pilot was very generic & a bit blah.

All Rise is the next new law show, this time about a newly appointed black female judge in Los Angeles. The likeable leads are all unknowns to me, but the supporting cast includes Marg Helgenberger & Paul McCrane & a slightly lighter tone makes for a decent watch. It feels like a Shonda Rhimes production, but I didn't spot her name anywhere in the credits. Not bad at all.

Prodigal Son is about an ex-FBI criminal profiler helping the NYPD. The twist? His dad happens to be one of America's most notorious serial killers. The lead guy is a creepy weirdo with bad hair, but Lou Diamond Philips lends some nice support, Halston Sage (from The Orville) pops up occasionally & the always watchable Michael Sheen looks like he's having great fun playing Hannibal Lecter. Could be a winner if Fox don't mess with it.

The Unicorn stars Walton Goggins as a widowed father encouraged by his daughters & friends to get back 'out there' into the dating pool. The pilot wasn't especially funny, but it's very well made, nicely written & has a decent supporting cast (including at least 2 members of the Ballers cast, so I'm guessing that's coming to an end?). It's a little odd seeing Goggins in a sitcom, but I'll watch him in anything & he doesn't disappoint here. Hopefully US audiences will give it a chance as it looks like it has promise.

Bob Hearts Abishola is Chuck Lorre's horribly titled new sitcom starring Billy Gardell (Mike from Mike & Molly) as a sock manufacturer who falls for a Nigerian nurse after he has a heart attack. The pilot was absolutely terrible, felt weirdly racist, & seemed like it was made 20 years ago. I'm guessing the only reason it made it to air was Lorre's previously successful track record. It'll probably run for years.
Old 26-09-2019, 08:39   #45
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

Saw lots of previews in the us last month for prodigal son and think it will be my sort of thing.
A new Kevin bacon cop drama also started. City on a hill? Have recorded off sky atlantic, not watched yet
So want new 90210 to show here, caught 2 episodes in the us and loved it. Very self aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2019, 13:50   #46
aprout
worn to perfection

A couple more newbies:

Emergence starts with a power outage, a plane crash, and the appearance of a mysterious child with no memory. She's taken in by the local police chief & naturally, shady government people want her & weird stuff starts to happen. The cast includes a lot of 'Oh, it's him/her from that thing' types & the legend that is Clancy Brown. It's well done, but none of it feels particularly original. I'll give it another couple of episodes to see if it goes anywhere interesting.

Stumptown is based on the comic book series by Greg Rucka & features Cobie Smulders as an Army veteran with mild PTSD who becomes a private investigator in Portland. The script is good, Smulders is excellent as ever & she's ably supported by Jake Johnson, Michael Ealy & Camryn Manheim. Fun soundtrack too (she has a mixtape jammed in her car stereo which kicks in at opportune moments). Liked it a lot.
Old 27-09-2019, 23:51   #47
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanks for the Stumptown recommendation. Definitely going to give this a few more episodes.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 10:35   #48
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Enjoyed the first two episodes of Jordan Peele's reboot of The Twilight Zone.

The first stars Kumail Nanjiani as a comedian doing whatever it takes to succeed. At just under an hour it's probably a bit too long for the story they're telling, but pilot episodes always seem to do that.

The second is a new twist on the classic episode Nightmare at 20,000 Feet, starring Adam Scott as the paranoid plane passenger. Very nicely done.

From the trailer at the end, they've got a fair number of big names involved. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Saw the plane episode last night. Really enjoyed it but it missed not having William Shatner-esque "There's something on the wing ... some ... thing"
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 12:56   #49
aprout
worn to perfection

Some more from the new season:

Carol's Second Act features Patricia Heaton as a 50 year old divorcee embarking on a new career in medicine with 'hilarious' consequences. Pretty much every joke is signposted & the studio audience whoops hysterically for 22 minutes like their lives depend on it. I like the cast & it raised the occasional smile, but not a great start.

Perfect Harmony stars Bradley Whitford as a suicidal music teacher mourning the loss of his wife who finds solace in directing a struggling church choir. Whitford's excellent as ever, the supporting cast's not bad & it's pretty funny in places. Liked it.

Sunnyside finds disgraced politician Kal Penn helping a group of wacky cliche'd immigrants study for their citizenship tests. It's quite low on laughs & a bit preachy about US immigration policy, but Penn is just about likeable enough to carry it off. I imagine it'll be cancelled soon.

Evil sees Mike Colter (aka Luke Cage) as a priest in training who teams up with forensic psychologist Katja Herbers to investigate &/or debunk demonic possessions & miracles. Meanwhile, smug prick Michael Emmerson is intent on spreading… Evil. Colter seems woefully miscast, but Herbers is very good, there's a couple of extremely creepy dream sequences, & Aasif Mandvi adds some much needed lightness to the overall grim tone. Not too shabby.

Creepshow is a new take on the horror anthology series. The animated opening credits take great delight in telling us there are about 97 executive producers & not much else, but frankly the only name that matters (or that you'll recognise) is Greg Nicotero, who also directs the first story & does all the gloopy stuff with his chums from KNB Effects. Big fan of the first two movies & portmanteau horrors in general, so was looking forward to this. It's not bad & at 45 minutes for 2 stories it doesn't outstay its welcome, but there's definite room for improvement.
Old 28-09-2019, 13:09   #50
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

I’ve watched all the new drama shows & the best of the bunch for me was “Evil”. On paper it sounded cliched & the trailer was dull but once again, the Kings have created a fresh, clever take on a tired subject.

“Stumptown” runs a close second, with a watchable cast & very good dialogue & soundtrack.

Also enjoyed “Prodigal Son” & “Emergence” but those are two shows that will take a few episodes to see if they develop into something different from the norm.

The two new lawyer based shows were just ok but didn’t do enough to make me want to watch anymore....
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2019, 14:23   #51
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,131 Posts

Last edited by Boink!; 28-09-2019 at 14:24. Reason: not a new show
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 19:51   #52
dvds2000
Trusted User

Anyone watching On Becoming a God in Central Florida? I think its quite good, not brilliant, but certainly watchable

Grand Hotel's been cancelled
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:42   #53
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,043 Posts
I watched the first 2 and half of On Becoming A God...

I thought the idea of a show based on pyramid schemes of that era was interesting and the cast were all good but it was all a bit depressing and aimless so I had no real desire to continue. It was good, just not for me.

I'm massively jaded these days with US Network TV so here are my negative takes

Emergence - Crap. Dull characters, the smallest morsel of plot and character development that you just know will be spread thin and dragged out to no real conclusion.

Prodigal Son - I watched this for Michael Sheen who was pretty good when he was on screen. The rest of it was your standard slick police procedural / odd couple partnership that is everywhere these days. I thought it was quite watchable overall but now there's a second episode out I'm already not sure if I can be bothered to spend another 45mins on it.

Stumptown - I thought this looked like the best of the new shows starting and I did enjoy Cobie Smulders in the role but it was much safer than I expected and outside of her character it was very bland. I'll give the second episode a watch as the first didn't fully setup the formula.

Outside of the network stuff I've been watching The Righteous Gemstones which is fairly good fun but not a patch on Vice Principals from the same team. It's a bit of a missed opportunity tbh - it feels like it needs some tightening up as it just isn't firing on all cylinders.

Last edited by kanedaa; 02-10-2019 at 12:43.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 21:01   #54
kanedaa
XBL: kanedaa

Thanked 1,558 Times in 1,043 Posts
Like TonyG I thought Evil looked pretty bad in the trailer but having watched the first two it's the best by far of the 4 new shows I've checked out. It has a very different feel to it which is appealing.
kanedaa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 15:12   #55
son of thunder
Trusted User

Quote:
A couple more new shows for the pile:

Warrior is worth a look if you like your martial arts. Based on the writings of Bruce Lee (I'm told it was his initial pitch for Kung Fu before Warners went with David Carradine back in the 70s), it's about Chinese immigrants in San Francisco in the late 1800s & being a Cinemax show, it's full of swearing, blood & gratuitous nudity. Plus you get a fight every ten minutes, so there's no time to get bored. Hope they can keep the pace up...

Fans of Super Troopers might want to check out Tacoma FD, about a small-town fire department & their idiotic shenanigans. It's created by Kevin Heffernan & Steve Lemme from Broken Lizard & the humour is much the same as ST.

The pilot episode of Canadian cop drama Hudson & Rex about a cop & his canine partner was quite terrible. I can only assume the lead guy was a model before he was hired for this, as he (& the rest of the cast) is easily out-acted by the dog in every single scene. People who grew up in the early 80s might look at this as The Littlest Hobo Joins The Police. Skip it.

Thanks for the warrior recommendation, really enjoying it.

Its from the same Team that Made Banshee, so I knew I would like it. Also been renewed for another season.
Old 17-10-2019, 09:10   #56
aprout
worn to perfection

Jason Bourne spin-off/prequel/sequel/sidequel (?) Treadstone feels quite convoluted & it's a little odd seeing Kerry Godliman trying an American accent in a glossy US show, but the action stuff is very impressive indeed. Intrigued to see where it's going.

Genndy Tartakovsky's new animation, Primal is well worth a look if you want some dialogue-free dinosaur/caveman action adventure. It's bloody, brutal & occasionally quite touching, & the whole thing looks & feels like a 1970s comic book. Loving it so far.

Almost Family is about a fertility doctor who decided to use his own, erm, 'genetic material' to conceive children for the patients in his clinic & may well have fathered over 100 rugrats in his lengthy career. Oops! How will the (now adult) offspring cope when the scandal breaks? Slushy, contrived & just terrible on pretty much every level. Even the usually reliable Timothy Hutton couldn't make me watch a second episode.

The CW's reboot of Nancy Drew is a weird one. I've never read the books, but my vague recollection of the 70s TV show & the more recent movie versions certainly didn't feature our heroine shagging in the opening scenes or all the characters being such a bunch of unlikeable asshats. The voice-over just made me think of Veronica Mars (irony!) & bizarrely, it also features actual ghosts - I guess with Supernatural coming to an end, the CW felt they needed to port them over to another series? I'll give it another couple of episode, but they really need to pick a tone & decide what genre this is going to be.
Old 19-10-2019, 09:40   #57
aprout
worn to perfection

The first casualties of the new season?

Production halted on Bluff City Law after 10 episodes. Not fully cancelled yet, but not looking good.

Sunnyside dropped by NBC on TV, but will continue streaming on Hulu.

Can't say I'll miss either.

Gave up on Evil after episode 3. I like the investigation stuff, Katja Herbers & Aasif Mandvii, but I don't buy Colter as a priest in any way & the Michael Emmerson sideplot irritates me too much - he feels like a character that should have been brought in much later on, once the series had been established.
Old 19-10-2019, 14:38   #58
grounded_dreams
I am Jack's movie cliche.

Quote:
Gave up on Evil after episode 3. I like the investigation stuff, Katja Herbers & Aasif Mandvii, but I don't buy Colter as a priest in any way & the Michael Emmerson side plot irritates me too much - he feels like a character that should have been brought in much later on, once the series had been established.
I almost did the same, mainly due to the Michael Emmerson character being too much on the nose.
Glad I didn't though, he wasn't in the latest episode (four) and thought the Story of the Week was fantastic and in general, it was a very dark and quite scary episode.
Think I'll keep with it, cause due to I trust Robert and Michelle King (creators) to keep the quality high.