Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 30-10-2018, 22:40   #1
Masanevre
Welcome

Question I stopped watching it because

Welcome

I stopped watching the Simpson in about 2000 regularly because I thought the stories weren't as strong, seemed to focus more on having songs & celebrity cameos .

Stopped watching Red Dwaft after series a couple of episodes into series 7 I thought it just thought the writing wasn't as strong remember I use to be laughing a lot and still do at older series.

Use to watch the X Files but cannot specifically remember why I stopped watching it though.

Was there something you use to watch but stopped watching for one reason or another. Cast changes, writing, Stories etc?

Thinking of you

Mas
Masanevre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 01:02   #2
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

The Simpsons definitely; it was decent quality for a good few seasons. Can’t remember precisely when it started to go downhill but I think it could have been around season 9.

Homeland when Brody died and it was obvious that it was just the Claire Danes show. However he was apparently supposed to die at the end of season 1, not 3.

This season of Doctor Who. I missed an episode last Sunday by accident and realised I really wasn’t bothered and then deliberately missed this week’s episode.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 01:53   #3
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMac View Post

Homeland when Brody died and it was obvious that it was just the Claire Danes show. However, he was apparently supposed to die at the end of season 1, not 3.
Seasons 4-6 of Homeland were really good as they got rid of him. He was a great character for the first series, but they should have killed him off in it. Instead, he and his bloody awful family hung around for 2 more seasons.

I also gave up on the X-Files, quite a bit before Mulder and Scully left.

Dexter, I quit after a couple of episodes of the final season. Life was too short and from what I can gather the ending was awful, so I didn't miss anything.

Prison Break, a reasonably smart one season show that just kept dragging on. Dumped a few episodes into season 2.

Heroes. What the hell happened there?

True Blood. Vamps and Werewolves were interesting but when the faeries came out, I switched off.

Weeds, I really hated Nancy by the end.

The Killing (US Version) - As a one season show it was interesting. Hung around and stunk too long.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 05:46   #4
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Arrow - After season 5 as they kept on doing Flash crossovers which I'd never bothered watching so I didn't know who the people were. Also it was getting repetitive.

House of Cards - Never bothered with Season 4, not sure why exactly but probably part of the Kevin Spacey blowback.

Narcos - Midway through season 2. Prefer watching TV shows as opposed to reading them.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 07:03   #5
Taq
Evil Scientist

Walking Dead - after season 4, after it repeated the same gameplay loop for the third time.

X Files - after season 7. Only so many 'everything you've learned up until now is a lie' reveals I can take. I tried the new series, and that happened again!

Black Sails - I forgot it was on, to be honest, and missed loads of it. Might try and get back into it now it's on Amazon Prime!
Old 31-10-2018, 11:34   #6
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Lost - stopped at the point they found the hatch

X-Files - must have been around season 5, tried to watch the new ones but it has become too naff

Red Dwarf - The new stuff is not as funny as the old stuff.

Heroes - Never got beyond Season 1
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 11:56   #7
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Thanked 1,169 Times in 827 Posts
Red Dwarf nowhere near what it was, I just want to like it and laugh, so I give it a fairly easy ride. But if it didn't have the history of S1-6, I'd have certainly turned off in the first episode of S7 (although the rimmer song was great).

Gotham - Can't even remember why, I got backed up by about ten episodes and then just couldn't be bothered to catch up

Simpsons, the same. I'd much rather watch an old episode of which there are hundreds, that are great than watch a new one, which i think I haven't seen, but probably have and just not remembered as it wasn't worth remembering.

Glee - It was actually pretty funny and charming to start with, into S3 and they just seem to be whingeing and singing for no reason.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to watch telly or binge watch the West Wing like I used to, I'm far more likely to wait for a run to finish and then watch it all (or give up very early).
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:01   #8
Masanevre
Welcome

I never finished The Pacific. I thought it was incredibly inferior to Band Of Brothers. Never felt as involving , characters were weaker.

Gave up towards the end of season two on House of Cards . It just got too silly
Masanevre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 14:28   #9
cliff homewood
Trusted User

There are hundreds!

Dr Who gave up when Ken Dodd was driving a bus through space but came back for its 25th anniversary stories, which turned out to be the next year!

Moving house is a big one, lost track of Deadwood (season 1), AHS (hotel) & 24 (Season 3) for this reason

Walknig Dead may give up after Rick leaves, lets see, I generally try to finish a season so I know where I was if i ever want to pick up again, where word of mouth tells me it got good again or nothing on (doesn't ever seem to be the case these days)

Westworld S2 and Handmaiden's Tale S2 both giving up on for same reason they are just delivering more of the same other than breaking out and risking doing something different - Humans is a good example of the latter.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 17:43   #10
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Simpsons - not sure what season but its been ages since I've seen a new episode. its been dying for years but just will not die like some zombie

Lost: think it was season 5 I gave up when it was new on tv. the writers were just making it up each season with no real direction.

Dr who: this series. Last season was badly written despite the skill of capaldi but this series is unsubtle and written in crayon

Walking dead: Season 7 was where I gave up, tried to get back into each season but its poorly written dumpster fire of a show.
Old 31-10-2018, 18:49   #11
JohnMac
XBL: JohnMacUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Lost: think it was season 5 I gave up when it was new on tv. the writers were just making it up each season with no real direction.
I have read this criticism of Lost a few times before. A lot of TV is written this way like The X-Files, 24, Battlestar Galactica etc. That isn’t to say none of these TV series have an idea where they are going with some key points. Lost is the one that seems to get a lot of stick for it. I think the fans guessed the ending and they changed direction. I also think some trivial issues that were picked up by fans online were attempted to be addressed in the show like Hurley putting on weight, the solutions to which in turn only created more questions.

Love Lost though, groundbreaking and unique even with some flaws.

Last edited by JohnMac; 31-10-2018 at 18:51.
JohnMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 18:56   #12
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

I guess it is hard for TV shows like Lost. Could get cancelled after 13 episodes, so you need an ending for that eventuality. Then they get popular and you have to come up with something for an extra two seasons or something.

As for the Simpsons, I'd say season 10 it started going downhill, went from being loving every episode to "oh it's this one", think they're about season 29 now.
Old 31-10-2018, 19:46   #13
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I forgot Lost on my list, but I too didn't watch past the end of S2. What got me was that it had been trumped as a complex mystery which we'd be taken through. But what I started seeing was a padded show similar to those ITV shows which have 20 minutes of actual content and just pad the rest of the hour with flash-backs and forwards. It got irritating.

I've also not bothered with Westworld S2 so far either, although will probably see that eventually.
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2018, 23:53   #14
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

The Flash.

It occurred to me whilst watching it last year that I actually hated everyone in it.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:31   #15
ASH
Slave to my dogs :)

the flash - drivel
supergirl - grays anatomy in space
boring dead
the good doctor - unbelievable drivel

Last edited by ASH; 01-11-2018 at 07:51. Reason: added
ASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:25   #16
jockosjungle
formerly rbullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatbloke View Post
I forgot Lost on my list, but I too didn't watch past the end of S2. What got me was that it had been trumped as a complex mystery which we'd be taken through. But what I started seeing was a padded show similar to those ITV shows which have 20 minutes of actual content and just pad the rest of the hour with flash-backs and forwards. It got irritating.

I've also not bothered with Westworld S2 so far either, although will probably see that eventually.
never bothered with WW2 either, however like you, I'll get round to it eventually. Some shows just take more effort to watch, and thats a sit and pay attention show.

I recall Lost was part of the SKY/Virgin Media thing for a while, meaning the lost Sky1 stopping watching shows in the middle of it
Old 01-11-2018, 09:11   #17
LV426
Trusted User

Game Of Thrones. I borrowed the first two seasons on DVD. Tried very hard to get involved, but it was a struggle. It was a couple of episodes before I reached the end of season two that I happened to go away on holiday for five weeks. When I returned home, far from being desperate to resume, in fact I forgot they were there to watch until the Mrs reminded me. Watched the last two of S2, never did get invested in the players, and never bothered with S3 on.
LV426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 13:38   #18
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I give up a lot of series because they were too slow:

Alias - good time travel story going on with DaVinci but too slowly developed
Lost - gave up after first ep as too slow, having learnt from Alias
Battlestar Galactica - gave up midway through season 1
Haunting of Hill House - think I'm going to give up now after ep 2, far too much padding, the film was far better being tight and just concentrating on Hill house. Am jsut dragging my way to the end of Picnic at Hanging Rock (on e5 out of 6) which again was well reviewed, don't want to drag myself through another padfest that everyone seems to love.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 22:17   #19
dunkle
Trusted User

Pretty much everything that’s currently airing

Just about to give up of flash and league having dropped the rest of them. All for the same reason. I think if you where to show me any random episode of any show and I’d be hard pushed to tell you what season it was from and what the overall arc was over than big bad turns up, beats them, thinks look bad, things work out good in end

I’ve dumped 911 and the rookie. In fact with exception of walking dead I don’t think I’m watching any show that’s currently airing. I’ve had it with the villian / disaster of the week stories.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 22:32   #20
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Sons of Anarchy - stopped watching about half way through season 4 or 5 (I forget which), it just descended into utter dross and nonsense, my brother and father both stopped about the same point.

Simpsons - about 2005 or so, partly because the quality was dropping, partly because I could never seem to reliably find out when the new episodes were on Sky (the listings never seemed to say), and the final straw was the Sky/VM spat where Sky pulled it's channels.

Weeds - about season 4, although I may go back to it.

The Pacific - I think we stopped after about 3 or 4 episodes, it seemed more Aussie American WW2 soap than Band of Brothers and we just gave up.

Stargate Atlantis - IIRC the Sky spat with VM happened about halfway through it and I simply never caught up.

There are a whole bunch more where I either gave up on broadcast, or completely on borderline series simply because of the adverts at a time when i didn't have a PVR.
The Crazy frog era made watching live TV almost unbearable for a while, as it seemed every single ad break would have at least one if not more of the frog noise variants*, which invariably were both far louder than anything else (great if you happened to be watching with headphones), and utterly frustrating in terms of putting me off.
I seem to remember retreating into DVD's for quite a long time.

*I remember channel hopping to try and avoid it, and about the only channels that didn't seem to have it at the same time/within about 2 minutes of each other were the BBC ones.

Last edited by werewolf; 01-11-2018 at 22:34.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote