Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 21-12-2017, 08:18   #21
Flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Premiere date announced as February 15th.
Great news.
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2018, 10:48   #22
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

First three episodes are now available, each one is around 12 minutes long. My thoughts (with some mild spoilers)...

Episode 1
Okay. Not entirely sure what to make of this right now. I'm excited to have Stargate back in some official form, I'm less enthused that a subscription-based web series is the route that was taken. This new show clearly has a VERY low budget, but I think they've done well with the resources they have. It looks decent enough, but so far the writing is cheap and cliche-ridden. Exposition is front and centre, but that can be somewhat forgiven as it needs to move fast given we only have around 10 minutes to work with.

More problematic is that this doesn't seem to be adhering to established canon - so, rather than being a prequel to the TV shows maybe this is more related to the original film, and a new continuity is being established? Or maybe I'll just wait and see how it develops.

The acting is mixed. The German stereotypes are quite terrible. It feels like Connor Trinneer is the only one who knows what he's doing. I'm happy to keep watching and see how things go, but part of me is surprised that this has fallen back on such a dated style of storytelling. It's like a Saturday morning cartoon so far (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, I enjoy some Saturday morning cartoons).

I admit, the only reason I'm supporting this show is in the hope that MGM greenlight a new proper Stargate show... okay, and maybe also I'm super nostalgic for SG-1 and Atlantis - and even Universe.

What was with that weird camera spin at the end?

Episode 2
I thought this was a bit better. Maybe because it was more about things happening rather than stilted explanations. I admit, I got a little tingle at seeing the stargate KAWOOSH! again. Ellie Gall shows that she's a better actress than the first episode suggested.

An attempt at humour indicates to me that this is leaning more towards the direction of the TV shows rather than the film. It just wasn't particularly good humour :/

So, I guess we're ending every episode with the weird camera spin?

Episode 3
Yeah, I kind of like this. It's just a fun, silly adventure and the characters are growing on me. The humour was better here. The visuals of the trip through the gate, along with the music, reminded me why I enjoyed this franchise so much. A shame that the budget is so low here.
We're definitely in the realm of the TV shows with the dial-home-device being present.

Go in with tempered expectations and I think this is fairly easy to enjoy.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2018, 13:27   #23
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Joseph Malozzi (a main writer across the Stargate franchise) has begun a huge campaign on Twitter to bring Stargate back as a full TV show, with the original production team in charge. You can join up @stargatenow
Old 23-02-2018, 21:02   #24
tomos
XBL - virgo22

fantastic. i hope we get another sg-1/atlantis style show. stargate deserves to run for ages like trek has
tomos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2018, 10:04   #25
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Here's more details. Sounds like he's also pushing a Dark Matter continuation.
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...nd-scifi-fans/
Old 26-02-2018, 16:46   #26
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The first part of the plan...
https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com...s-stargatenow/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Mallozzi
With the release of Stargate: Origins on the Stargate Command platform, MGM has taken the first steps towards exploring fan interest in further Stargate adventures. However, as the first couple of SG:O episodes rolled out, I wondered if there was another way to gauge fan support for a potential new series. There are many, MANY international fans who aren’t able to access Stargate Command to show their love. There are also a lot of North American fans who may not be able to afford a subscription or are simply wary of shelling out this early in the process. I get it. And, for these reasons, I looked for an alternate means of letting MGM know how much support Stargate still enjoys, not only in North America but internationally as well, not simply among paid subscribers but possible viewers who, for whatever reasons, cannot or choose not to subscribe at the moment. Some way to bring together Stargate fans scattered across the globe and throughout the internet in a focused campaign that gives them a unified voice on a dedicated platform at an appointed time.

A unified voice speaks loudest of all while a dedicated platform and time allows fandom to make the most noise in a concentrated and quantifiable burst. Social media has become a crucial component of a show’s success, offering studios accessible and immediate statistics on fan engagement. Letter writing campaigns are a thing of the past. Today’s fan campaigns are fought online. NBC’s Timeless is a good, recent example of online fandom making noise and getting results for their favorite show. Perhaps the greatest precedent though is what was achieved by fans of Longmire who took to twitter, made plenty of NOISE, got noticed, and secured an additional three seasons of their favorite show. Longmire fans were smart, disciplined, and spoke in a unified voice on a dedicated platform at dedicated times. We are going to take a page from their successful campaign (Thanks, Longmire fans, for showing us how it’s done).

Two weeks from now, we will gather on twitter at an appointed time, tag MGM, and get Stargate trending. Big-time. We’ll have two major events – one for North American fans, another for international fans. We’re splitting them up in order to maximize participation and ensure we get the largest turnout for both. All you have to do is show up on twitter at the appointed time, on the appointed day, and interact with us for an hour or so. Tell us what Stargate means to you, maybe what you’d like to see in a new Brad Wright/Robert Cooper series. Share your favorite characters, episodes, moments. @StargateNow, the official voice for the #DriveToRevive, will be posting concept art from all three shows: SG-1, Atlantis, and Universe. I’ll be offering up behind the scene photos and videos from my time on the franchise. And who knows what familiar faces may be dropping by to say hi. It’ll be little effort but a whole lot of fun.

If this all sounds familiar – yes, it’s very similar to the campaign we waged in support of Dark Matter. Alas, while the tweetstorms in support of DM were statistically huge (I still have people in the industry remark on our impressive showing), they, unfortunately, failed to convince Syfy. But there’s a key difference between that campaign and the one we’re about to launch: MGM really does care.

They care about their shows and the people who produce them.

They care about science fiction.

And, most importantly, they care about their fans.

MGM WANTS to give you a new Stargate series. They WANT Stargate to succeed. They just need to know you’re out there and willing to support them when the time comes.

Let’s do this!
Old 28-02-2018, 15:37   #27
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Mallozzi
In less than two weeks, we’ll be blowing up the internet with a good old-fashioned tweet-storm. Actually, two.

Friday, March 9th at 6:00 p.m. PST/9:00 p.m. EST – for North American fans

Saturday, March 10th at 7:00 p.m. GMT – for International fans.

Of course (and preferably), you can show up for both events – but I don’t want to impose.

All we need is an hour of your time…but if you want to stick around and make a night of it, let’s do it!

A few rules that will help maximize our message:

#1: FOLLOW – Make sure you’re following @StargateNow

#2: CHECK IN – Approximately 15 minutes before the appointed time, @StargateNow will be revealing that night’s unique hashtag. This hashtag should appear in all of your tweets. In the case of Dark Matter, for instance, one of the hashtag we used was #RockTheRaza.

#3: BE PROMPT – Start tweeting at the appointed time, but not before as it diminishes our efforts at trending.

#4: USE THE DEDICATED HASHTAG – Make sure your tweet includes that night’s dedicated hashtag.

#5: ONLY USE THAT ONE HASHTAG – For some reason, tweets with more than one hashtag don’t count toward trending so be sure to only use the hashtag of the night.

Okay, got it?
Old 01-03-2018, 01:55   #28
tomos
XBL - virgo22

sweet. i hope he pulls it off
Old 04-03-2018, 14:27   #29
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

For those that are interested, Stargate Origins is going to be cut together as a feature length movie and (presumably) be available for purchase.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:40   #30
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Origins managed to wrap up in a fairly pleasing manner. It closed all of the continuity issues between it and the film/series quite nicely. Low budget but somehow charming, and very much in the spirit of Stargate. I'm pretty sure they even managed to include the time-travelling Captain Mitchell (from Stargate: Continuum) in the background at the end.

Don't forget, the European @StargateNow Tweet-storm is scheduled for this evening, so join in if you want Stargate back on TV!
Old 10-03-2018, 18:51   #31
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

10 minutes to go - don't waste this opportunity!
Old 10-03-2018, 22:56   #32
tomos
XBL - virgo22

so S1 is done? if so i'll binge now
Old 15-06-2018, 18:08   #33
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Feature length cut coming next week.

Quote:
Following on from the successful rollout of Stargate Origins earlier this year, Stargate Command is delighted to announce the release of a brand new cut of Catherine Langford’s adventures.

On June 19, 2018, Stargate Origins: Catherine (Feature Cut) will be available for download on digital platforms worldwide. This all-new version of the Stargate Origins story brings ten action-packed episodes together in one feature-length cut, adding a whole host of new features including:

An updated sound mix
A new, extended title sequence that teases the mystery and tone of the feature
Seamless transitions merging the episodic format into an uninterrupted singular viewing experience
Enhanced VFX shots
Subtitles in 12 languages for our global community of Stargate fans

What’s more, this new feature-cut will be available in stunning 4K, making it the first release ever to bring the visual richness of that format to the Stargate franchise.