Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 17-03-2017, 23:43   #1
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

[Netflix] Iron Fist

2 eps in and think it's pretty good.

The Meachums are a bit soap opera, but apart from that I'm enjoying it so far.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 09:20   #2
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

I've looked forward to every one of Netflix's Marvel shows and after the mostly bad early reviews, this is the first one I haven't bothered watching as soon as it dropped. I decided to watch the first episode last night as there was nothing else on and ended up watching the first three back to back. I don't think it's as bad as some of the reviewers are making out, but it's easily the least engaging so far. I will probably end up binge watching the rest of the series once I've finished my Mass Effect Andromeda trial and even if the show doesn't get any better it is still at least watchable.
dannywonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:33   #3
cjay
Trusted User

What are people's thoughts on the casting of Finn? It seems questionable to me from all the trailers I've seen.
cjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2017, 12:53   #4
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjay View Post
What are people's thoughts on the casting of Finn? It seems questionable to me from all the trailers I've seen.
Incredibly bland, although it's hard to tell if that's due to the casting, or the material.
Old 18-03-2017, 13:05   #5
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

At the moment I'm thinking it's the material - will see how it goes
Old 18-03-2017, 14:36   #6
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Its more watchable than Luke Cage series (which I found painful to get through a couple of episodes) but Danny is quite bland and posted this in the netflix thread about how he can't say something that would of helped him to prove his identity:

I do think its the writing rather than the actor. Jesccia Jones had some problems toward the end of season 1 but Daredevil was so much better (although that suffered a little in s2 trying to set so much up for The defenders tv show)
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 08:10   #7
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

By the end of ep 4 and watching ep 5, I find it gets a lot better, "not as bad as the reviewers are making out" I hate that internet phrase. It could be better but the reviewers are more interested moaning about "white saviour" and white washing etc
Old 19-03-2017, 10:31   #8
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

I just find Daredevil, cage and this a little dull and all the same.

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:32   #9
dannywonderful
Bon Viveur

I don't know that it gets better so much as your expectations are so low after the way it begins that you end up being a bit more forgiving towards it that you normally would be.

I've watched them all now and I'm venturing towards the opinion that Finn Jones was a poor choice for Danny Rand. The script and direction is lacking more often than not throughout the series, but even so Jones doesn't do a lot with the material available to him. I fully accept that with better material he might have done better himself, but some of the other cast members managed to make even the corniest of lines come alive to the best of their ability. Jessica Henwick in particular made Colleen Wing very likeable despite what she was given to work with and even the two Meachum siblings had two good actors put some good work into their poor scripts.

It's so frustrating as they had such a rich vein of source material in the comic books to work with. Throughout the show Danny Rand would display some incredible skills and abilities and then seemingly forget them entirely just minutes later if what passed for a script required him to. Even if they had decided that the comic book Danny Rand was just too fantastical to work in the Netflix Marvel universe then the previous series they have released over the last few years should have given them enough of a mythology to come up with a better story line than they managed to cobble together here.

I hope that for season two they just move straight into Heroes For Hire with Luke Cage and that way they can team up Colleen and Misty Knight like in the comic books too. They can even bring in the Steel Serpent and he'd fit right in as the big bad throughout a Heroes For Hire season.
Old 20-03-2017, 09:30   #10
Slender
Trusted User

I'm a huge fan of the Marvel cinematic universe but this might be the worst thing they've delivered so far. The main character is in no way convincing as a martial arts expert. He's supposed to be the best of the best but seems to barely scraping by when fighting simple henchmen. The plot completely lacks direction and spends way too much time with soap opera stuff.
It's watchable but not in the same league as Daredevil or Jessica Jones.
Slender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 10:52   #11
oldskool
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by john white View Post
And just how do you keep your ipod charged in the middle of a mystical kingdom presumably off the grid and keep the original earphones intact as well for 15 years
Long lasting audio playback devices which for some reason can be charged or fed aa batteries in the most distant of places have been established in the marvel universe ever since GoTG.

So far I'm finding this infinitely more watchable than Luke Cage
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:06   #12
Boink!
Politics, eh?

Thanked 3,391 Times in 1,131 Posts
Just finished ep 1 and I liked it. Certainly better than ep 1 of Luke Cage (that took a couple of episodes to find its feet).
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 11:16   #13
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Only watched the first two so far & it's been watchable but instantly forgettable. Everything from acting, writing & direction has been vanilla & offers nothing new or exciting. You know it's not good when the most excitement I had was seeing my new TV indicate that it was showing in 4K Dolby Vision ... then the disappointment returned when I noticed they've added artificial film-grain to make it look all gritty & "film-like". No! it makes it look like ****!
TonyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 17:57   #14
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Shame Danny bland isn't better, he is not right for the role. But at least I can through the season unlike Luke cage.

I read the laughable Polygon review someone get some sauce for that chip on his shoulder
Old 22-03-2017, 18:17   #15
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
... when I noticed they've added artificial film-grain to make it look all gritty & "film-like". No! it makes it look like ****!
Thank God it's not just me. I'm all for a bit of subtle film grain to add a unique stylised look but this has just been caked on for the sake of it.

Just finished the last episode and although I managed to binge it all without a stop gap, as I did Luke Cage, it's by far the worst Netflix/Marvel output to date.

Everyone has mentioned the flaws: wrong casting, nonsensical plot points, dull fight scenes and direction. Its biggest crime is just how serious it takes itself - there's only so much zen-like re-balancing of his Chi i can take before I start stifling giggles.

David Wenham was a woeful villain and the completely random use of split screens for the fight scenes when they hadn't established it for anything else just goes to prove that they didn't really have the expertise in the fight choreography department and are relying on cheap editorial tricks to mask what should be the show's crowning glory.
Old 26-03-2017, 16:14   #16
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Finished it now and while it could be of better in parts, its still mostly good. I don't it deserved all the hate it got from critics especially the mad rambling form the **** at polygon. Also it was a bit hard to get past Ward looked like Patrick Bateman (at first)

Luke cage still remains the worst of the marvel/netflix shows
Old 26-03-2017, 16:41   #17
alsemail
Bibble....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post

Luke cage still remains the worst of the marvel/netflix shows
I'd agree with that. It's not good however that 2 or their main showcases have such bland characters.

Too much superhero stuff on now and at the movies. It's going to fizzle out eventually.

I will admit I'm looking forward to The Punisher series though. Seasons 2/3 of Daredevil, JJ, Luke Cage and Iron Fist less so.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 17:26   #18
Robby
XBL- iRobz PSN - PSiRobz

Location: ‎"Wearing out more picks than Hendrix on a Caffeine drip"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Also it was a bit hard to get past Ward looked like Patrick Bateman (at first)
He reminded me more of Donald Trump JR. which added to his unlikability at first. He was one of the better actors on it though. I'd like to see his character, as well as Misty Knight's from Luke Cage, in future series.

Last edited by Robby; 26-03-2017 at 17:27.
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 23:38   #19
stampax
Trusted User

Finisehed the whole season now and really enjoyed it, a shame its got so much negativity. I thought casting was great, but again, I seem to be in the minority. Roll on the next marvel show!
Old 29-03-2017, 08:33   #20
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

It was ok. I think it suffered from being 13 episodes, as it didn't have enough to fill them. The corporate stuff shouldn't have been the main focus for so long, and Harold has been the worst villain so far out of all the Marvel/Netflix show.

Hopefully The Defenders will be better.