Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 19-01-2017, 21:37   #41
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

I've decided to stick with it but its a hard slog, 5 Episodes in and not much is happening. We have had a hero villain face to face and instead of giving him a right old slap Mr Cage just walks off. .

At least in JJ there was a reason why she could just not take out the Purple Man and had to be a little more creative.

Cottonmouth so far has no powers or resistance to a good slap and has to be one of the weakest villains in the TV MCU so far.
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 00:20   #42
dunkle
Trusted User

I struggled with it and left it mid season. Have no real desire to go back.
dunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:23   #43
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

I just finished it last night, and while I did enjoy it, there were a lot of dull moments. It could have been condensed into 6 episodes and some of it is intensely cheesy. Some fine totty on show though.
Old 20-01-2017, 10:54   #44
GAmbrose
Trusted User

It's certainly the weakest of the three so far IMO.

I see what the show-runner was going for, obviously proud of having a mostly black/ethnic cast in a big budget TV show, but it was far too 'on the nose' and I think some of the plot suffered as a result

Daredevil is the pinnacle
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 13:03   #45
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmbrose View Post
It's certainly the weakest of the three so far IMO.

If we're going purely by the first season of each show, I agree. Daredevil season two is easily the weakest of any of them so far.
ourmatetone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 14:07   #46
clarkyboy100
Very busy drinking

Yep only based on series 1 Daredevil would win, but I had to give up on series 2, it was awful in every way.
Old 20-01-2017, 15:17   #47
MaxNutter

Jessica Jones > Daredevil, for me. Although DD was great.
Old 20-01-2017, 17:21   #48
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Luke Cage was a bit of a missed opportunity and they did stretch it waaaayyyy to much. I loved Daredevil 1 but Punisher aside season 2 was boring. It really suffered from a lack of decent baddie and from way too many faceless ninjas in corridors.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 22:21   #49
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Well Marvel's TV luck was not going to last forever, finished this and what a chore to watch is was.

Pathetic and underdeveloped villains, Cottonmouth such a disappointment Barbara Windsor during chucking out time at the Queen Vic was more threatening.

All white people portrayed as nasty or slimy not a nice one among them.

Too much of a blaxploitation feel for its own good, those films had their time and that was 70s leave them there.

The final fight was a joke, where DD had that hall fight in season 1 there was nothing like that here and there should have been. Could have took the hallway fight to a new level punching each other though walls and stuff, not Man of Steel levels of destruction but something better than the handbags at dawn we got.

Had to fast forward many times especially during those scenes with the cop and the evaluation guy, the whole thing felt like it stalled at that point nd was totally unnecessary.

13 episode season way to long for this guy, who has no screen charisma, should of saved some money not hiring all those music acts they did and get Idris Elba or Henry Simmons to play Luke. In the case of the latter could of tied in the AOS and have Mack leave the team after getting superpowers some how in a shield episode.

Only Rosario Dawson was any good but even with her presence did not elevate this miess to anything more than mediocre.

Summary - Worse than DD season 2 2nd half

We should have got the Punisher early instead of this

Punisher should learn from this give some of his villains a short SIX episode run each to let them develop then have a 10 part Punisher run where they square off with the Punisher, but sort of Tag team style couple episodes with one guy who backs off and another steps in and back an forth then whomever is left meet up for the finale
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 02:06   #50
Shingster
Trusted User

Henry Simmons would have been fantastic as Luke Cage imo, but you gotta say that Mike Colter really does look like he was born to play the role (at least the most recent comic iterations of the character). He does suffer from a lack of emotion/character.

I also found the series a bit of a slog, started fine and captured the vibe of an african american community with history really well imo with lots of subtle touches in the dialogue (references to Mike Tyson's street fight with Mitch Green and the likes), but it ran out of steam badly once the Cottonmouth chapter was done (because he was the only character with any real charisma). Saying that though I like the neo-blaxploitation vibe, thought it was far better realised than the absolutely laughable neo-noir vibe of Jessica Jones (ooh look, she's a hard drinking gumshoe!), of course Jessica Jones had a better plot, characters and cast to gloss over its numerous ***** points. Now that the Kilgore storyline from the comics is played out I expect s2 of JJ to be just as tedious as Luke Cage if it clocks in at 13eps tbh.

I don't understand why Marvel didn't just do mini-seasons of 6 one-hour episodes, not only would it cost them less per project it would've got things moving and enabled them to juggle the various seasons much more efficientlly with regards to The Defenders and whatnot. They could have covered JJ, Luke Cage, Iron Fist and even an Inhumans series by now!

Last edited by Shingster; 22-01-2017 at 02:30.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 08:59   #51
GAmbrose
Trusted User

As for Daredevil, season 2 wasn't as consistent, but the Punisher stuff was about ⅓ of the season and that was as good as season 1 IMO.

Elektra I didn't mind, but yes the faceless Ninjas did get a bit old and it did suffer because of that.

I'd still argue that Daredevil is a very good show though.

Last edited by GAmbrose; 22-01-2017 at 09:00.
GAmbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 21:35   #52
Eastlander
Trusted User

Can I skip this without ruining what comes next? Really doesn't appeal to me, but will force myself if it serves a purpose...
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 21:51   #53
Shingster
Trusted User

It's mostly about introducing Luke Cage and developing his backstory Eastlander and not much happens in it that affects the "bigger picture" of the Marvel television universe, so it shouldn't be a problem ignoring it going forward.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:31   #54
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I finally finished this, and while it had quite a few good parts it was an overall "meh". Luke Cage himself is just bland and uninteresting, and they compounded that fact by having a bland and uninteresting villain with Cottonmouth.

The second half did go in a better, unexpected direction, but it built up to a pretty crappy conclusion. I enjoyed the prison flashback episode. Nice to see Claire getting more screen time. Alfre Woodard as Mariah was probably the best thing in it.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 23:32   #55
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Binged Season 2.

First 2 eps were a bit messy but it picked up with Ep 3.

Needed to be 8 eps not 13.

Misty is still the best thing about this.

mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:57   #56
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I haven't felt the need to watch S2 of Jessica Jones or Luke Cage. Think the Defenders was so bad that it's just removed my interest in them, at least for now.
Old 04-07-2018, 11:06   #57
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Only watched the first episode of S2 so far & it was a solid, mildly-entertaining 40 minutes with unfortunately 15+ minutes of dull singing/jazz/pointless scenes, padding it out to almost an hour.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 18:54   #58
nobbyal
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnementh View Post
Binged Season 2.

First 2 eps were a bit messy but it picked up with Ep 3.

Needed to be 8 eps not 13.

Misty is still the best thing about this.

Last episode of season 2 to go for me and Sweet Xmas it's a hard loooong slog, 8 episode season would have been much better.
nobbyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:25   #59
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I didn't like Season 1 (Started good with all the black cultural references, but then they stopped and it got boring, found cottonmouth a cliche bad guy), so the question is will I like season 2. DO many of the other heroes make appearances eg. Jessica? This is what might make me watch it if there's much cross-fertilisation going on.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 15:12   #60
mnementh
Cheese is Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff homewood View Post
I didn't like Season 1 (Started good with all the black cultural references, but then they stopped and it got boring, found cottonmouth a cliche bad guy), so the question is will I like season 2. DO many of the other heroes make appearances eg. Jessica? This is what might make me watch it if there's much cross-fertilisation going on.
mnementh is offline   Reply With Quote