Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Notices

Old 14-01-2011, 10:35   #1
avid fan
Trusted User

Angry Blatter and the Qatar World Cup

I've just read the following story on the independant, and I'm surprised it's not been picked up more by other news outlets.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...a-2184072.html

I'm an unapologetic Blatter hater, but the slippery old git always seems to come out smelling of roses - this seems to be the possible start of some potential major ructions in FIFA.

Oh, and while I'm on it, I STILL cannot believe how Blatter and Platini are suggesting such major changes to the venue and dates of the world cup - what was the point of spending years on some carefully developed bid process just for them to make widespread changes as soon as we have a winner???
avid fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:23   #2
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
I've just read the following story on the independant, and I'm surprised it's not been picked up more by other news outlets.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...a-2184072.html

I'm an unapologetic Blatter hater, but the slippery old git always seems to come out smelling of roses - this seems to be the possible start of some potential major ructions in FIFA.

Oh, and while I'm on it, I STILL cannot believe how Blatter and Platini are suggesting such major changes to the venue and dates of the world cup - what was the point of spending years on some carefully developed bid process just for them to make widespread changes as soon as we have a winner???
We can only hope that this will lead to the end of Blatter. Intresting to note that the Mohammed Bin Hammam, the Qatari representative plans to run against Blatter in April.

How Platini, don't know if Blatter suggested it as well, could suggest that Qatar share the hosting around the Gulf. No other host nation would be asked or expected to share the hosting of the World Cup if they had won it as a single host bid.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:28   #3
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Unfortunately Blatter is only reflecting the corruptedness (actual word) of the organisation he represents.

The entire organisation is corrupt, as is the process for selecting the WC hosts.

Still, a World Cup in January will be interesting. I can't see the big European clubs (or any clubs for that matter) being too happy about it so hopefully we'll get to see a big willy-waving fight which might bring Fifa down.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:53   #4
Snoopy
PSN: Nevyn1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Unfortunately Blatter is only reflecting the corruptedness (actual word) of the organisation he represents.

The entire organisation is corrupt, as is the process for selecting the WC hosts.

Still, a World Cup in January will be interesting. I can't see the big European clubs (or any clubs for that matter) being too happy about it so hopefully we'll get to see a big willy-waving fight which might bring Fifa down.
But from what the report says FIFA can't make Qatar move the World Cup to January. If FIFA don't want it played in the summer their only option is to take the hosting away from Qatar, which would leave them with even more egg on the face for Blatter and co. I'm not sure the big European clubs would support a winter World Cup even if UEFA try and push for it, if they do I'm sure they won't be doing it just for the good of the game but to see what they can get out of it.

Of course this could be nothing more than posturing on Qatar's part to raise their profile ready for the FIFA presidency elections.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:54   #5
Tob
Trusted User

A few bungs here and there and it will all be sorted.

I doubt Blatter will care anyway, he'll be long gone from FIFA by 2022.
Tob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 12:58   #6
Guest 24104
Malvinas son Argentinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tob View Post
A few bungs here and there and it will all be sorted.
I doubt it. The big powers in European club football are dead against it. And many of them have been sparring for a fight with FIFA for awhile in the club vs. country debate. This has the potential to get very messy indeed.
Guest 24104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 13:21   #7
Alan George
Trusted User

Quatar, such a weird choice, & now they're going to have to move the football season around. The bungs involved in getting the World Cup there must have been eyewatering!
Alan George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 14:23   #8
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by j to tha l-o View Post
I doubt it. The big powers in European club football are dead against it. And many of them have been sparring for a fight with FIFA for awhile in the club vs. country debate. This has the potential to get very messy indeed.
Put some money on it and the outcome
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 14:51   #9
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

Old 14-01-2011, 16:50   #10
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid fan View Post
Oh, and while I'm on it, I STILL cannot believe how Blatter and Platini are suggesting such major changes to the venue and dates of the world cup
I am not surprised that Blatter wants to change the timing of the tournament but Platini should have more sense that to go along with the idea.

I am more than happy that Qatar have refused to change it to our winter as this could finally spell a clear out of people at FIFA starting with that idiot Blatter and Platini can go as well.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2011, 22:42   #11
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
Of course this could be nothing more than posturing on Qatar's part to raise their profile ready for the FIFA presidency elections.
Given that the majority of us believe Qatar won a corrupt process I'm not sure we should believe the Qatar official when he says he wants a more "open & transparent FIFA". As you say, he's possibly played out the whole Qatar bid as a step towards actually undermining Blatter. Maybe Sepp thought by awarding Qatar the tournament, they'd end the push for the presidency. If it's a choice between the two, what if we were actually better with the devil we know!!!
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 10:37   #12
Guest 10877
Bink Bink

Blatter is an egotistical **** and the sooner he's out of football the better.

Read a few articles a while back about Blatter having notions on winning himself a Nobel Peace Prize

There's accusations that trying to win the prize is the reason he announced the 2 World Cups together and is why they went to Russia and Qatar.
After South Africa, the idea of bringing the tournament to 'new lands' he thinks will improve his chances

There were some weird quotes about using football to unite the countries or highlight problems they were having, had a quick Google but couldn't see them again.

The blokes a mental.
Guest 10877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:35   #13
splobber
Administrator

Just think of how grand the public stonings will be at these stadiums afterwards though.
splobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:47   #14
blazeuk
XBL: lowey21 PSN: blazeuk

Quote:
He said: "It would be unfair to the players to play in summer when there is a possibility to play in winter."
How the guy can just now come out with this stuff is a joke in itself and it clearly shows they didn't actually look at the proposals, since they would have been well aware of the situation. If anyone is to blame for it being unfair to the players its FIFA, not Qatar.

It definitely shouldn't be moved to the winter, FIFA made the decision, so they can now live with it - they cant all of a sudden decide to alter the bid because its not workable, they've already agreed to it, this is supposedly what the bidding process is for!
blazeuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 11:56   #15
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post

There were some weird quotes about using football to unite the countries or highlight problems they were having, had a quick Google but couldn't see them again.

The blokes a mental.
The Observer have a said and did quote section and Blatter appears every week.

I particularly remember one about him saying the South Africa world cup would make millions for their Hotel and leisure industry. Then a week later he gave the official hotel booking rights to his son.
Mr Majestik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:01   #16
MICON
Trusted User

Just change it to the UK & all will be back on track.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:35   #17
jab1990
Trusted User

On the football weekly podcast, they said fifa already knew the dangers of playing in the summer and that is why the asian cup is being held now in the winter.
Also blatter gave an interview saying that there was over a 50% chance of it being held in the winter and fifa have the final say.
jab1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 13:43   #18
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

I think the knock on effect of holding it in the winter would be immense.

Even ignoring the massive implications it would have for the domestic leagues, from a fans POV it wouldn't be great.

For me the WC / Euros = Summertime.

Jan/Feb is a typically belt-tightening time of year so are fans going to be as willing to spend a fortune travelling?

Are fans going to be out in force in the pubs and supermarkets spending money on extra beer and food when it's freezing cold / wet etc.

The economic boom countries experience during a WC would be lost or reduced.

The whole concept of a WC in Qatar is a monumentally expensive shambles.

Last edited by rustybin; 15-01-2011 at 13:44.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:38   #19
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
Quote:
Originally Posted by splobber View Post
Just think of how grand the public stonings will be at these stadiums afterwards though.
Thank you for this well thought out contribution to the topic, you prick!
Guest 24656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2011, 14:44   #20
Guest 24656
Banned

Location: Back Home In God's Own County Of Yorkshire, so the yokels tell me any way
As has been said before unless it comes from the Qatar delegation Blatter can spout out anything he likes, I don't see it happening myself as the Qatar bid focused on these potential issues so its not like they are being made aware of something they didn't already know about.
Guest 24656 is offline   Reply With Quote