Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 08-01-2004, 21:29   #1
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Radiohead

Keep hearing good things about these guys, I know of should of heard some of their stuff.... but I haven't.

So, where to start then please kids? And what should I be expecting? (From what I hear, they're not happy go lucky chaps)
Matt KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 21:36   #2
Jimmyboy
^__^

They're over rated by several small planets so don't get your hopes up to much. They're still a very good band though and I'd start with The Bends followed by OK Computer and if you like both of those go on to Kid A.
Jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 21:40   #3
DM
Self Abuser

From the beginning mate.

Pablo Honey (Not really worth much time)
The Bends
OK Computer (Best album despite what all the Indie kids say about The Bends)
Kid A
Amnesiac
I Might Be Wrong Live
Hail to the Thief

In that order..
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 21:46   #4
Mozza
Devil's Advocate

Try the suggestions in THIS thread and be converted!

Mozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 21:54   #5
Radiohead
Vanderlyle Crybaby Geek

They're a fantastic band, and have more ideas and imagination in their little toes than 1000 Oasis wannabes.
Radiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:32   #6
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

i agree with dave, OK Computer ownz The Bends.

been disappointed with their later efforts though - Amnesiac and Hail.
KeyserSoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:41   #7
DM
Self Abuser

I think you're going to have to much of a good thing Matt...

Apart from the first album, I think they're all fantastic.. Dedicate a few listens to each, that's what I'd adivise.
DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 23:42   #8
Guest 1626
A Man With A Mission

I used to love them but have gone off them a little. The Bends and Ok Computer are must-have albums - they're great and I never tire listening to them, but I haven't bothered with adding the other albums to my collection, apart from Pablo Honey which showed the band in their infancy and has their great breakthrough hit 'Creep' on it.

Last edited by Just Call Me Wanda; 08-01-2004 at 23:43.
Guest 1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:30   #9
Guest 25984

Yeah have to agree The Bends and OK Computer are the ones to go for.
Guest 25984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:42   #10
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Cheers dudes gone for:

1 of: The Bends
1 of: O.K Computer
1 of: Pablo Honey

Matt KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:47   #11
mjb1975
Blandiblub

I've really tried to get into Kid A and Amnesiac, but I just can't do it.

I'll stick to The Bends and OK Computer. Great LP's, although I've probably overplayed them a bit now...
Old 09-01-2004, 10:41   #12

Pablo Honey has good stuff produced badly. The version of 'You' on the Itch EP is formiddable.

You also want to buy the following:

Itch EP
My Iron Lung EP
Airbag EP
Planet Telex/High & Dry (CD1 & 2)
Just (CD1 & 2)
Street Spirit [Fade Out] (CD1 & 2)
Fake Plastic Trees (CD1 & 2)

Between them that covers almost every great b-side from that era and the b-sides are VERY good. There are three versions of Killer Cars and two of Banana Co in there, plus Maquilladora which has the greatest guitar solo ever committed to shiny disc on it.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:26   #13
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

yeah i kinda gone off Radiohead too. But can always listen to OK Computer.

I would check out Kid A as well Matt, i think its amazing, really spaced out, best listened in the dark .
Old 09-01-2004, 11:28   #14
KeyserSoze
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally posted by TheoGB
Pablo Honey has good stuff produced badly. The version of 'You' on the Itch EP is formiddable.

You also want to buy the following:

Itch EP
My Iron Lung EP
Airbag EP
Planet Telex/High & Dry (CD1 & 2)
Just (CD1 & 2)
Street Spirit [Fade Out] (CD1 & 2)
Fake Plastic Trees (CD1 & 2)

Between them that covers almost every great b-side from that era and the b-sides are VERY good. There are three versions of Killer Cars and two of Banana Co in there, plus Maquilladora which has the greatest guitar solo ever committed to shiny disc on it.
where can i get the EPs cheap ?

i have a CD with all b sides from the net but quality is all variable. Might have to start the collection.
Old 09-01-2004, 13:10   #15
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Personally have never been able to listen to Kid A or Amnesiac all the way through, though I have tried many times. They still have some real stand out tracks on though such as 'How To Disappear' and 'Pyramid Song', so I own them for those tracks alone.

I'm a Bends-lover personally. Hail To The Thief is also very good with only a few bad points.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 13:11   #16

Quote:
Originally posted by KeyserSoze
where can i get the EPs cheap ?

i have a CD with all b sides from the net but quality is all variable. Might have to start the collection.
To be honst I'm not sure.

I bought all mine before the internet was a viable option for shopping, using HMV and/or Virgin.

Itch comes in two forms: The expensive (~£27) Japanese version and the cheaper (~£15) New Zealand version, though this doesn't have the (Japanese) booklet which has a long discussion of the band circa Pablo Honey era. I have a translation of that booklet on my Hard Drive somewhere so was happy enough to have the cheap NZ version of Itch.

My Iron Lung should be available for about £9 in HMV in an Aussie import version, but equally you could buy Parts 1 and 2 of the single. The EP has Creep Acoustic but that's on Itch and others so it's really only the convenience of a single CD you get.

Airbag was a limited U.S. E.P. - after all, it's just a collection of b-sides from OK Computer that the UK market already had, but with a very cool little booklet. When first released they also put versions out on UK shelves at £6.99 and I bought one then (being the completist that I was ).

I would think you should be able to get imports of all three. Check out the Aussie, Japanese and U.S. branches of Amazon maybe if you're not seeing them on the sites here. I'm sure one of the music sponsors on the drop down above must have them. :confused:

Failing that, big HMVs and Virgins will probably have them in with the albums or singles...
Old 09-01-2004, 13:18   #17

Quote:
Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
Personally have never been able to listen to Kid A or Amnesiac all the way through, though I have tried many times. They still have some real stand out tracks on though such as 'How To Disappear' and 'Pyramid Song', so I own them for those tracks alone.

I'm a Bends-lover personally. Hail To The Thief is also very good with only a few bad points.
Not really much of a HTTT fan. There's some nice stuff on there but it's all a bit 'woolly' for me, and too long and unfocussed.

I like National Anthem off Kid A, plus How To Disappear and Optimistic. Unfortunately I had a bootleg of the acoustic 'original' (with extra verse) version of Motion Picture Soundtrack around the time of OK Computer, so I can never like the Kid A version.

Amnesiac is much stronger for me but is just a collection of tracks and I don't like that (I like a flow to an album in the way OKC does). Barring Push/Pulk and Like Spinning Plates (I'll come to that) I like the album. So much in fact that I did a reordered version taking those three Kid A tracks and putting the Flying Bears track straight before I Might Be Wrong so they faded together and creating a single album of the stuff I liked off the two.

The thing that really annoys me is how much better Kid A/Amnesiac stuff can sound live. The key 'offenders' being Like Spinning Plates on piano and Phil's extra drums on top of the dull electronic beat of Idiotech. For me, both those tracks (as heard on the 'I Might Be Wrong' live album) are head and shoulders above the studio versions.

Possibly Kid A suffers from too much studio work and not enough time being played live before they recorded it, not something that was true of RH's other albums for sure. :confused:
Old 09-01-2004, 16:54   #18
LouBarlow
Retired Member

No offence matt, but when I first read the first line of your first post I thought you were being sarcastic!

My favourite will always be The Bends. It's obvious that Radiohead have no pop music left in them and their more experimental stuff leaves me cold frankly.

Last edited by LouBarlow; 09-01-2004 at 16:54.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 17:13   #19
Guest 12720
WOT U TALKING BOUT WILLIS

:norty: :norty:
Don't forget that not only was creep on Pablo Honey but also High & Dry which is v.good.

Ok computer is probably the best in my own small universe, but having said that "Just" is on the Bends and that kicks royal ass..

Guest 12720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 18:03   #20

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Alpha
:norty: :norty:
Don't forget that not only was creep on Pablo Honey but also High & Dry which is v.good.
No it's not. High & Dry is on The Bends!