Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 28-01-2013, 12:33   #101
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedalia View Post
I never stuck with it to the end though, so not sure how it finished.
"How will this end?"
"In fire"
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 12:42   #102
Gedalia
Space Monkey

A long while back I started watching a late episode of B5. I was really confused.

It had none of the main cast in it, and the commanding officer was that slut from Louis & Clark. I couldn't stomach more than a few minutes.

Was that the final series or a failed spin off?
Gedalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 12:53   #103
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

That was series 5, most of the original cast are there, with Tracy Scoggins taking over from Ivanova.
Old 28-01-2013, 14:37   #104
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedalia View Post
I never stuck with it to the end though, so not sure how it finished.
If you mean the main Shadow War storyline then with this 3 minute scene ending with a line which never fails to make me cringe.........

Old 28-01-2013, 15:45   #105
Andy
Logomotive

I always preferred B5, odd bit of dodgy writing and acting aside, it had a real epic feel and like a previous poster said, the Londo/G'Kar bits the best characters of the series.

I don't see them as that similar really, but then I always preferred TNG to DS9 :-)
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:46   #106
Shingster
Trusted User

Here's a hint GPR: If you've got an axe to grind against a series and you want to post clips from the series out of context to make that show look bad, then choose scenes that actually are bad! (Frankly, I'm astonished that any Star Trek fan could have a problem with that scene, it's pure Trek!)

Also if you want to post clips from comedy shows that satirically take the **** out of a show, make sure it's a good comedy show, eh? The Big Bang Theory, **** me, if that says B5 is bad it must be true!

Last edited by Shingster; 28-01-2013 at 15:49.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 15:55   #107
Littc
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
I was speaking in generalisations. I don't think they were tuning in every week, but I think they took some cues from B5 that worked very well for them. The things most often cited as to why DS9 was so good are (1) They made the characters more complex; the Starfleet characters weren't all goody two shoes (and neither was Starfleet itself). (2) They focussed more on politics and religion. (3) They incorporated arc stories. These are all things very evident in B5 from the start.
Here's the thing though. Deep Space Nine premiered first. The pilot of DS9 aired on the 3rd Jan 1993 whilst the pilot of B5 aired 22 Feb 1993. Furthermore, regular B5 episodes didn't start showing until 26 Jan 1994 by which time approximate 30 DS9 episodes had already been aired.

I don't know what happened behind the scenes, if the series shared similarities it could be fairly said that B5 was 'borrowing' from DS9. Who really knows which show took inspiration from which.

It certainly can't have been the case that Paramount saw how well B5 worked and created such similar since DS9 came first and aired at least 30 episodes before the first regular episode of B5 appeared.
Littc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 16:01   #108
Andy
Logomotive

I've never understood why B5 is not more highly regarded, whenever it's mentioned people always mention the Spaced rant about it (never seen Big Bang Theory so can't comment). I've started watching it again and am enjoying it. That's all that matters I guess.
Old 28-01-2013, 16:10   #109
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littc View Post
Here's the thing though. Deep Space Nine premiered first. The pilot of DS9 aired on the 3rd Jan 1993 whilst the pilot of B5 aired 22 Feb 1993. Furthermore, regular B5 episodes didn't start showing until 26 Jan 1994 by which time approximate 30 DS9 episodes had already been aired.
The B5 pilot was filmed before the DS9 one, you can read a detailed history here
Old 28-01-2013, 16:25   #110
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

"We're not some Deep Space franchise – this place is about something!"

That line always made me
Old 28-01-2013, 16:59   #111
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Here's a hint GPR: If you've got an axe to grind against a series and you want to post clips from the series out of context to make that show look bad, then choose scenes that actually are bad! (Frankly, I'm astonished that any Star Trek fan could have a problem with that scene, it's pure Trek!)

Also if you want to post clips from comedy shows that satirically take the **** out of a show, make sure it's a good comedy show, eh? The Big Bang Theory, **** me, if that says B5 is bad it must be true!

Here's a hint Shingster: it's a DS9 appreciation thread! You're obviously a rabid B5 fanboy that is going to take offence to anybody even slightly badmouthing that show then I'd grow a thicker skin if I were you and find a B5 appreciation thread to frequent.

"Get Out Of Our Galaxy!" is a howlingly bad line of dialogue made all the worse by it's being spouted at such a pivotal point in the show.

I've said before I'm a fan of B5 - that doesn't mean I can't criticise it or prefer DS9 - which by the way has it's own fair share of howlingly bad dialogue and scenes, one of which I've already posted a youtube clip of, but you probably ignored that one as it wasn't B5 related
Old 28-01-2013, 17:14   #112
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I've never understood why B5 is not more highly regarded
I think the fact that it looked so cheap and nasty worked against it. It put me off watching it for years. Also, while I would not criticise the actual stories, the writing was not particularly good. Heavy unnatural exposition in the dialogue, and often performed in a very cheesy manner.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 17:18   #113
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

I *love* Babylon 5, but it's the arc that carries it - the direction on a lot of episodes is dreadful, and the acting often bad too - despite that it also has some of the *best* acting i've ever seen as well.

We also shouldn't forget that it was done on about 10% of the budget of DS9. looking at it, it's obvious that sometimes they couldn't afford multiple takes
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 17:20   #114
Andy
Logomotive

Just goes to show how subjective what people like/dislike is I guess.

I find B5 more watchable than Star Trek, that's not to say I don't like Trek, just a matter of preference.
Old 28-01-2013, 17:25   #115
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
Here's a hint Shingster: it's a DS9 appreciation thread! You're obviously a rabid B5 fanboy that is going to take offence to anybody even slightly badmouthing that show then I'd grow a thicker skin if I were you and find a B5 appreciation thread to frequent.
I don't have a problem with people bad mouthing B5, I have a problem with morons attempting to troll a perfectly intelligent and reasonable discussion with flame-bait posts. The only one looking bad here is you. Sure I made of made a dig at DS9 in my original post, but I tempered that statement with plenty of praise since.

Oh and just so this thread doesn't descend into yet another fanboy willy-waving debate, I'm going to ignore your very existence from here on out!

Last edited by Shingster; 28-01-2013 at 17:28.
Old 28-01-2013, 17:55   #116
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I don't have a problem with people bad mouthing B5, I have a problem with morons attempting to troll a perfectly intelligent and reasonable discussion with flame-bait posts. The only one looking bad here is you. Sure I made of made a dig at DS9 in my original post, but I tempered that statement with plenty of praise since.

Oh and just so this thread doesn't descend into yet another fanboy willy-waving debate, I'm going to ignore your very existence from here on out!
Is that the "talk to the hand" argument is it?

Brilliant - first time in a decade on these forums that I've been accused of "trolling" and "flame-baiting". I just had a quick look back at my posts in this thread and it's plain to see that I am neither. I posted a few youtube clips that took the **** out of both B5 and DS9 (two shows I am a fan of) and you have chosen to interpret them as you will and have a little ****-fit.

Each of my posts mentioning B5 have been in direct response to....well I wouldn't be so bold as to call them " morons attempting to troll a perfectly intelligent and reasonable discussion with flame-bait posts " but I didn't bring up B5 in this thread out of thin air mate

Ignore away
Old 28-01-2013, 18:35   #117
hookbeak
Poor, poor you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
I think the fact that it looked so cheap and nasty worked against it. It put me off watching it for years. Also, while I would not criticise the actual stories, the writing was not particularly good. Heavy unnatural exposition in the dialogue, and often performed in a very cheesy manner.
Modern tech has been very unkind to b5. It looked great on my 14" portable when it was on originally - a lot of visual shortcomings passed me by. On my 46" HDTV - not so much...
hookbeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 18:38   #118
Hernster
Toon Army Member

I started to buy this on vhs from Season 4, and I remember being so disappointed with the episode Hippocratic Oath after the previous two!

I have most of the star trek series on DVD, but I will hold out for a long time before I upgrade anything like this to blu.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 20:53   #119
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

I don't know the live action shots on B5 still hold up very well compared to how fuzzy my DS9 DVDs looked.

There is no need to have this war both shows were superb, B5 was just better but it had a plan from the start. It is a shame that Paramount dumped B5 in order to do a Trek show as pointed out above it is amazing what the B5 team did on a shoe string budget.

When seen in it entity the first season of B5 is actually really good you go back and see all the little things that were foreshadowed and hinted at. There is really none of that in the first two seasons of DS9.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2013, 21:42   #120
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
When seen in it entity the first season of B5 is actually really good you go back and see all the little things that were foreshadowed and hinted at. There is really none of that in the first two seasons of DS9.
To be fair, the Dominion was first mentioned about 2/3's the way through season 2, to Quark.