Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > DVD and Blu-ray Discussion > Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix Comments

Notices

Old 14-11-2011, 13:26   #1
Guest 10924

[Blu-Ray Review] Silent Running

Comments attached to the Blu-Ray Review 'Silent Running' on Home Cinema @ The Digital Fix

We revisit one of the greatest Science Fiction movies of all time as it makes its debut on Blu-ray, care of Eureka Entertainment. ...

Click here to read!
Guest 10924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:26   #2
Gizmo
Gun? Shot.

As with a lot of the best hard science fiction movies, this manages to take a big message and distill it into a personal tale about humanity. It's no accident that the most human characters in the film are the three droids.

You can still see it's influence in films today - from the obvious in Duncan Jones' Moon, to the more subtle influence of that stunning beginning to Pixar's Wall-E. A masterpiece, and I'm glad it's got the release it deserved - the dvd release was shocking!
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 20:20   #3
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Great film, its not hard science fiction though, hard science fiction means hard science, and this was lambasted by the critics when it came out for its bad science from hwat I remember. It never addresses the issue how do people breathe back on earth without trees to provide oxygen, but the lack of covering psychobabble is no matter when you have such a great story, fairytale like scifi to use Stephen Moffats parlance.
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2011, 22:54   #4
Guest 29
Last Of The Independents

Indeed! Regardless of the quality or not of the film - I can't stand it myself - but the science throughout is nonsensical.
Guest 29 is offline   Reply With Quote