Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Music Discussion

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 10:45   #181
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The cancelled Queen + Adam Lambert shows are now back on at the Hammersmith Apollo, but much more interesting is this bit of info hidden at the bottom of the press release:

Quote:
the Christmas show has become one of the most heavily bootlegged in the band's career, and an edited version of the show has been recently shown by the BBC. But a high quality official release DVD is now planned, unedited, which will include the audio of all of the songs which were not originally transmitted on TV.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:55   #182
jpig
Trusted User

Sounds interesting (the 1975 gig, not Brian's Got Talent). Always thought it was odd that they remastered it and only broadcast it on the BBC. Will it be packaged up in an 'Adam Lambert Double Disc Special Edition' though.

From setlist.fm
Quote:
Now I'm Here
Ogre Battle
White Queen (As It Began)
Bohemian Rhapsody
(Ballad section with guitar solo)
Killer Queen
The March of the Black Queen
Bohemian Rhapsody
(Reprise)
Bring Back That Leroy Brown
Brighton Rock
Son and Daughter
(Reprise)
Keep Yourself Alive
Liar
In the Lap of the Gods... Revisited
Encore:
Big Spender
(Shirley Bassey cover)
Jailhouse Rock
(Elvis Presley cover)
Stupid Cupid
(Connie Francis cover) (Partial)
Be-Bop-A-Lula
(Gene Vincent cover) (Partial)
Jailhouse Rock
(Elvis Presley cover) (Reprise)
Encore 2:
Seven Seas of Rhye
See What a Fool I've Been
jpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 20:05   #183
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

The reality band for the queen extravaganza show made their debut on the American idol results show this week and it's pretty good

http://youtu.be/AQxjEBwi_X8
Old 28-04-2012, 20:43   #184
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I thought Queen Extravaganza was meant to be a tribute act. To me, that just a cover group ie a groupd doing covers of songs. A tribute act is supposed to look and sound like the band they're a tribute to
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 22:07   #185
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

AdamBrunt's right (for once ) they don't seem much like of a tribute act, but as someone who has completely ignored this project, that performance was better than I expected. Bonus points for avoiding the easy song choice of WWRY/WATC; always good to hear an attempt at Somebody To Love
Old 28-04-2012, 23:03   #186
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I thought they sounded good and the singer is absolutely brilliant. I don't think the idea was ever to try and imitate Queen, though, and I don't think that would have been a good idea. The bad point came when the guitarists started backflipping and playing behind his head, made them look like idiots.

I've gone back and forth on the whole idea of this tribute project. To be honest, if they ever did a UK version I'd probably be tempted to audition!

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 28-04-2012 at 23:04.
Old 29-04-2012, 08:41   #187
jpig
Trusted User

I like the fact they've reinterpreted the song. I love the original but a fresh look at it is always welcome. From what I hear, that's what the Queen + Adam Lambert thing will be like too. Nice to see them trying something a bit different.

Still not sure on the tribute thing. But I'd probably go and see it if it was local.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:56   #188
jpig
Trusted User

Love the idea or hate it (and I'm STILL not sure about it) but these videos show that they are tight as a band and playing authentic versions of the songs.

Also going a bit beyond the 'obvious' songs. Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon indeed!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07   #189
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

They played March of the Black Queen! That earns instant respect no matter who is performing. After seeing what they are like I'm fairly impressed, as it feels more authentic than Brian, Roger and whatever uninteresting singer they have with them. I hope they start touring internationally (or they start creating bands for different countries, so I can audition!)

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 02-06-2012 at 09:21.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:03   #190
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

I might take it all back about them apart from ... the beginning of their Lazing On A Sunday Afternoon sounds like it is the Freddie original (and judging by the comments on the You Take My Breath Away youtube clip) I am wondering just how much original material they are using ??
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2012, 23:14   #191
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

Queen + Adam Lambert played a full setlist in Kiev tonight - I found-out too late that a local TV channel there was streaming it live, so I only saw the last three songs; full credit to the boy, Lambert sounded brilliant to me even that late on in the set.

The full concert has already made it to YouTube so I'm watching from the beginning. I know a lot of people don't like the Queen + concept and I understand their views, but I get a thrill watching these shows (mostly ), particularly when Brian and Roger on form and clearly enjoying themselves.

Here's the uploader for anyone interested:

http://www.youtube.com/user/gnosbt
Old 02-07-2012, 12:28   #192
jpig
Trusted User

Pretty good. The band sound awesome - some of Brian May's solo work is the best he's been for ages there.

Nice to see a few 'oldies' in there too.
Old 04-07-2012, 21:08   #193
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Just watched the full concert, Lambert can certainly sing well. I would definitely say the whole thing is a massive improvement on Queen + Paul Rodgers. Adam seemed to be still be learning the ropes as he made loads of mistakes, but they were all obviously having some fun with it.

Downsides are that it's just a big old greatest hits setlist which bores the pants of me now, and there are far too many keyboards (kind of spoiled Love Of My Life). I did like the use of Freddie's voice, very nice - although it unfortunately highlighted that even Adam's vocals are nowhere near the quality of Freddie's.

I do wonder why Brian and Rog never include any material from Made In Heaven in what they do - is it because it's too emotional for them, or too associated with Freddie?
Old 05-07-2012, 11:22   #194
jpig
Trusted User

Roger sang I Was Born To Love You on the Japanese leg of the Q+PR tour as an acoustic track.

Agree about the 'Greatest Hits' thing but they did play Dragon Attack and in Russia a couple of nights ago Brian played Life Is Real with a local singer on vocals so maybe they're working on a few things like that for the London gigs?

edit: Plus the bass solo included a little nod to Son And Daughter - clutching at straws a bit there, I admit!

Last edited by jpig; 05-07-2012 at 11:24.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46   #195
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Nice, never heard that. Oh, something awesome I'd never seen before - Brian has a double-necked custom 12-string/6-string Red Special guitar!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:57   #196
Dxfatass
Now with reduced fat

I remember the first Q+PR set list had a pretty good representation of albums (though they were represented by the hits more than anything else) but the first two or three albums and Made in Heaven didn't feature at all in the set-list. As Jpig says, IWBTLY featured in a stripped-down form in Japan, but that was because of how wildly popular the song (the Made in Heaven cover) became in, I think, 2004. I thought at the time that it was odd they didn't play anything from that album as it had been I think their biggest selling studio album, and songs like Heaven For Everyone, Too Much Love, A Winter's Tale, Let Me Live and You Don't Fool Me had done so well only a decade before.

I sympathise with them in trying to put together a set-list from a back-catalogue as rich as theirs is. I imagine they view the people attending the shows as more casual fans, who wouldn't know The Prophet's Song from Track 13 - and would leave a show with a more adventurous set-list disappointed, saying "Good show, but why didn't they do Radio Ga Ga instead of singing about fairies and ogres?".

Now a fan-club concert would a completely different matter; I'd love them to dig-out some rarities for a set-list tailored towards more knowledgable/obsessive fans, but I guess the work needed to prepare those songs would be too much for a one-off.

Last edited by Dxfatass; 05-07-2012 at 13:00.
Dxfatass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 13:19   #197
jpig
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
Nice, never heard that. Oh, something awesome I'd never seen before - Brian has a double-necked custom 12-string/6-string Red Special guitar!
There's an edited version of that concert "available" - it's called "Super Live In Japan" and I think they gave it away with The Cosmos Rocks in Japan. Features a Brian / Roger / Paul Rodgers version of Teo Toriatte and a '"Queen" version of Fire and Water too. Nice little addition to the QPR era.

I would love to see a 'rarities' kind of show too but agree that it's unlikely to happen. The workload and the fact that Queen 'are' their own cover-band these days means that we'll always get mostly the Greatest Hits (and even then, skewed too much towards the 80's and the May / Taylor tracks). But if they can tease a few album tracks into the Hammersmith shows then that's fine by me (not that I'm going, sadly - banking on a DVD of it though).
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51   #198
douglasb
Suedehead.

News on all kinds of Freddie releases:

http://music.thedigitalfix.com/conte...ts-revamp.html
douglasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 17:26   #199
ian turner
Trusted User

So this is the new improved version and the original will only be available as an import or second hand ?
Crass.
ian turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 22:33   #200
jpig
Trusted User

The original has been deleted now (I think) as they've moved record companies. So expect a 'ORIGINAL AND BEST' release five years from now!

For me personally, this is the most exciting release in a long time: the whole album was always too 'big' for the synth orchestra that accompanied it. Just a shame they haven't used the original production team to do this version.

Still, it's a day one purchase for me and it's been a LONG time since I said that about something Queen related.