Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 21:52   #41
Disappearer
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Speaking of our lead, nice fella aint he. His new mrs would have told him where to go after the first meeting as well, is he ever nice to her!?
I thought it was pretty obvious she's using him for (among other things) the vicarious thrill of his dangerous predicament.
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38   #42
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Another brilliant episode this week with a kick-in-the-nads ending.

Has the guy playing Spengler been in anything else? ... Such a fascinating character & he plays him to perfection.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:02   #43
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez View Post
Its enjoyable enough but there are far too many plot holes to take it seriously
Could you point out some of those plotholes, as I can't remember that many! One that stands out for me was the bug placed inside Will's fire alarm, which had me questioning if americans have to change the battery inside them like we do over here. (I guess they could have put a fresh battery in when they bugged it and planned to remove the bug longg before the battery would run out).

Another fan of Breaking Bad and Mad Men here but I would rate this opening season of Rubicon higher than the latest seasons of either. I've never understood why people on these boards laud both shows as these great bastions of high-brow TV drama when they're just as guilty of heavy contrivances and soapy plotlines as most shows. Breaking Bad in particular is one of the most contrived shows on the box when you consider that a bone-headed idiot like Jesse Pinkman is still living and breathing and outside of prison after all the crazy nonsense he's done. I'd also claim that Will Travers is a far more sympathetic character than the likes of Pinkman and Don Draper as well.

Rubicon on the otherhand I find to be deliberately vague and understated, has little to no melodrama and isn't afraid to be frustratingly, methodically paced. Arliss Howard and Michael Cristofer have given probably my favourite supporting performances all year as well.

Last edited by Shingster; 11-10-2010 at 10:07.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 10:28   #44
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Could you point out some of those plotholes, as I can't remember that many!
Sneaking round the back of someones house they were warned about seeing each other.

Sneaking round the back and wasn't noticed, by a conspiracy thats been running for years. We're meant to believe that they have run this conspiracy all over the world, but cannot spot someone hopping round the back of a house? Or for that matter meeting his boss on the roof for a chat, when they are both being watched outside of work?

Breaking Bad is full of heavy contrivances and soapy plotlines your right, but at least its fun the characters and interesting, funny, likeable; same with Mad Men

A couple of characters are likeable but thats it, making the lead a muppet does not make the program mysterious.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:20   #45
Shingster
Trusted User

Ah, that's the one example that you've already made in this thread and I don't think it's a plothole at all when you consider Spengler is clearly only working with the 2 shady operatives in an obvious attempt to keep things under the radar of his Fisher Island colleagues. Notice they threatened Katherine Rhumer directly, not Will, because she's very much the type to be effected deeply by a blatant threat (which is what we saw this episode).

Also bear in mind that just because we didn't see someone surveilling Katherine Rhumer doesn't mean it wasn't happening, at the time Spengler was discovering Will knew about his childhood buddies and he put a death sentence into motion because of that so we never got to find out if the meeting between Rhumer/Travers would have actually seen them carry out their threat (in fact again for all we know a big part of the reason for Spengler's kill order may have been their impromptu afternoon meeting).

Another important plot point is that although Rhumer was threatened directly, Spengler can't make a move on her without alerting his colleagues. That's the thing about Rubicon, everyone has someone looking over their shoulders forcing them to be very low-key and deliberate in their actions, even the puppet masters.

As for Will meeting his boss on the roof for a chat, well he's his boss! Will's a notably insular and guarded analyst with high level clearance and Kale's ex CIA Black Ops, so I don't think it would be unusual for them to be percieved as acting a little cloak and dagger - nor would it be massively suspicious for them to take a step outside/above the building to discuss sensitive information.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:05   #46
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Far too convenient, you could come out with them excuses for any plot hole in any film/program.

Doesn't mean they are not surveilling them? Well there is 2 episodes left and i doubt we'll discover they were infact watching him go round the back all along, plot hole.

The characters are un-interesting and poorly written, you dont care about anyone but i'm sure thats the point right?

Do you really give a monkeys about Rhumer and her plot line is boring, the only interesting thing about her is they have 'queens' right after her name in the title sequence?

I care about characters in other conspiracy films, they are still good; making them soulless people who care about nobody but themselves doesn't make it good.

Rubicon is enjoyable nonsense that thinks its far more serious and important than it actually is.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:09   #47
Shingster
Trusted User

So you're basically not going to offer up any more than 2 so-called "plot holes"?

Last edited by Shingster; 11-10-2010 at 12:12.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:19   #48
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
So you're basically not going to offer up any more than 2 so-called "plot holes"?

I said it has plot holes and pointed them out, does there have to be more than 2?

By the way, Will was being watched on the roof early in the series, suddenly when he is up there with his boss they seemed to have stopped.... or have they? Handy that.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:29   #49
Shingster
Trusted User

Well I'd hardly say two highly debatable plot holes constitute as "far too many plot holes to take it seriously."

All they can do is watch them on the roof so what's the point in constantly reminding us that they are there and simply watching? Unless you expect the spies to be world-class lip readers too! Guess that's another plot hole!

Last edited by Shingster; 11-10-2010 at 12:45.
Old 11-10-2010, 13:15   #50
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Well I'd hardly say two highly debatable plot holes constitute as "far too many plot holes to take it seriously."

All they can do is watch them on the roof so what's the point in constantly reminding us that they are there and simply watching? Unless you expect the spies to be world-class lip readers too! Guess that's another plot hole!
For all you know they've bugged the roof!

Infact its not a plot hole they bugged the roof, bugged all the rooms of her house so heard them meeting in the back room.

Sorted.
Old 11-10-2010, 15:07   #51
Disappearer
Trusted User

It's been pointed out already, but Truxton Spengler (awesome name!) isn't employing legions of operatives, only a couple of guys completely off the radar, and they can't be everywhere at once. And what's a more effective deterent? Sitting in a car 24 hours a day outside someone's apartment or 'gently' threatening their lives if they're spotted commuincating with certain people.
Disappearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 18:56   #52
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
I'd also claim that Will Travers is a far more sympathetic character than the likes of Pinkman and Don Draper as well.
That's not hard, Don's an absolute arse. I thought that was the point?
Old 11-10-2010, 19:51   #53
statto
Jedi Master

I actually thought season one of Breaking Bad was phenomenal TV.

I've really enjoyed this, and the whole atmosphere of the show is great. I hope it gets renewed, but the whole issue is far murkier with a cable show when it comes to viewers. It seems to be hovering between 1m-1.3m viewers, but I have no idea whether that's good enough for a renewal on AMC.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:33   #54
Jez
Ellis Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disappearer View Post
It's been pointed out already, but Truxton Spengler (awesome name!) isn't employing legions of operatives, only a couple of guys completely off the radar, and they can't be everywhere at once. And what's a more effective deterent? Sitting in a car 24 hours a day outside someone's apartment or 'gently' threatening their lives if they're spotted commuincating with certain people.
Yeah thats true.

I still enjoy it, i dont think Shingster gets that.

I'm just pointing out its not as clever as it think it is, it wont win any awards for itself or performances like Breaking Bad or Mad Men did imo.

Also whats the point of the warning last episode?
Old 12-10-2010, 17:22   #55
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
That's not hard, Don's an absolute arse. I thought that was the point?
Yeah definitely, I just found it odd that Jez was using a sympathetic lead as one of the criteria that makes an intelligent drama when his two examples of shows that get it right both have rather unsympathetic leads!

Last edited by Shingster; 12-10-2010 at 17:23.
Old 12-10-2010, 17:25   #56
anephric
Kidney Thief

I have to say, this is my favourite show at the mo. I haven't looked forward to a new episode so much each week since Spartacus.
Old 12-10-2010, 18:18   #57
Richie
Trusted User

For the uninitiated, could someone give a quick spoiler free rundown of what Rubicon is about? Merci!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:19   #58
Quincunx
Dr Sexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anephric View Post
I have to say, this is my favourite show at the mo. I haven't looked forward to a new episode so much each week since Spartacus.
Same for me although I'd prefer it even more detached, complex etc.

Although he deserves some sort of retribution I'm kinda hoping
gets away with it as Rubicon wouldn't be the same without him.

Last edited by Quincunx; 12-10-2010 at 18:20.
Quincunx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 18:35   #59
anephric
Kidney Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
For the uninitiated, could someone give a quick spoiler free rundown of what Rubicon is about? Merci!
Imagine Three Days of Condor in a modern-day setting as a TV series. With slightly less killing. And without Faye Dunaway getting forced into sex.
Old 12-10-2010, 18:36   #60
Richie
Trusted User

Well that sold it!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote