Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 10-09-2009, 14:59   #201
MetalGearAl
Trusted User

FWIW, there are proven techniques that you can develop for speed reading books very quickly, with high retention of the subject matter.
MetalGearAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 15:37   #202
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklipze View Post
Don't have a list of the books do you ? Only read the last DB book and fancy delving a little deeper.
The books by DB are called Absolute Magic and Pure Effect. Pure Effect is the one that deals more with techniques. It's out of print now, and picking up a secondhand copy is expensive, but you'll get your money back if you sell it on. There's also a lot of information freely available on the net which other authors have done. These are mainly aimed at practitioners, so unless (like me) you have a deep interest in the subject they're not really worth reading. They're certainly nothing like Trick of the Mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGearAl View Post
FWIW, there are proven techniques that you can develop for speed reading books very quickly, with high retention of the subject matter.
Those techniques get you to a reading speed of about 5-8000 WPM. Ten times faster than traditional speed-reading, but nowhere near the speed DB claims.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 16:57   #203
Guest 36766
Trusted User

You mean... it wasn't magic?

(You guys are anal.... Mr Speed has been watching this in slo-mo for 12 hours straight).
Guest 36766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:11   #204
dunkrag
Captain Sanctimonious

[QUOTE=MRS-Speed;8781336]

(You guys are anal.... QUOTE]

dunkrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 17:59   #205
Guest 9814
Banned

Between Derren saying the words 23 and 35 the camera is completely still for the only time, so I'm convinced it's a green screen trick.

However, I'm intrigued as to why he's done something so simplistic as he now has to make a 30 minute programme about it.

After seeing his live stuff, I still think he's a genius!
Guest 9814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:23   #206
Hoskas
Trusted User

dont they have motion control cameras that can record from a manual handheld camera and then reproduce this exactly.

Do run through earlier on with derren and old lottery show.(hence the stalling at the end.)

Use left side of this with motion control camera again filming real derren on right live. Plenty of time for woman helper minion(so isnt lying about camera men) watching screen to use her 49 ping pong collection to build a new rack and swap it in probobly the rack has pins on floor to make sure position is spot on. now the left half of the screen is turned live and as the lighting is controlled and can be made to match perfectly cut to live in the locked off section of film at 2:05 or so.

et voila.
Old 10-09-2009, 18:32   #207
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post

Mayyyybbbee.. though it seems unlikely. He moves them and they look solid. I thought the box they were in might have had a mirror on the front and the balls were actually below, so they could be moved.. but that doesn't look the case when he rotates the box. Maybe they are expensive wireless OLED displays! That'd do it.
Sorry about quoting such a big picture, but I think that there is a reason why the two "1"s in eleven are written differently. The opinions seem to be going towards the split camera, but I'm going with the other option of the laser etching or internal LEDs.

I think this because he had to write the first "1" differently, so that the software knew that it was the start of 11 rather than the first number being 21.

Just an opinion though. Oh yes, and I think he's a great showman and I never for one moment thought he would predict and announce the results beforehand!
Arthur Fowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:44   #208
Guest 3062
極めて平凡

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpr007 View Post
However, I'm intrigued as to why he's done something so simplistic as he now has to make a 30 minute programme about it.
He said something about the program being projected on to the side of a building and thanks for coming (seemed a bit strange for just a ~10 min segment).. they might show something to do with that I guess.
Guest 3062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 18:55   #209
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,046 Times in 519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoskas View Post
dont they have motion control cameras that can record from a manual handheld camera and then reproduce this exactly.

Do run through earlier on with derren and old lottery show.(hence the stalling at the end.)

Use left side of this with motion control camera again filming real derren on right live. Plenty of time for woman helper minion(so isnt lying about camera men) watching screen to use her 49 ping pong collection to build a new rack and swap it in probobly the rack has pins on floor to make sure position is spot on. now the left half of the screen is turned live and as the lighting is controlled and can be made to match perfectly cut to live in the locked off section of film at 2:05 or so.

et voila.
Good thinking, motion control would be the only way to do it. If it was just a camera which was split for the section where they switched the balls then it would be extremely difficult to line it up for zooming and when it pans slightly. The camera switches to a second camera once when he enters the room, it shows Derren waving in front of a man with a hand held camera. That would be easy to film earlier and the change would be plenty long enough to switch from the hand held (that filmed him walk into the room) to the pre-set motion control camera. Motion control would also allow the spec of dirt that moves correctly when the camera zooms to be in the same place on both takes. The shakiness would still be added over top digitally.
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 19:40   #210
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

Just watched this (the 4OD version sadly) and does anyone else notice the sudden shift in the image at 1.38 - this is the point where, for reasons 'unknown', DB walks the long way around the balls. I mean, he wants to get back to the TV, why not just turn back the way he came? But no.. he takes more steps to purposely walk in front of the balls - at that point, watch the colour / lighting of the floor, does it change?

Quite what is happening - I'm not sure - perhaps a rotating mirror to allow 'someone' to change the balls behind it? But I'm convinced it's that moment the switch is pulled.

I'm also pretty convinced that after Friday's show we'll be none the wiser how he did it
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:09   #211
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler View Post
Sorry about quoting such a big picture, but I think that there is a reason why the two "1"s in eleven are written differently. The opinions seem to be going towards the split camera, but I'm going with the other option of the laser etching or internal LEDs.

I think this because he had to write the first "1" differently, so that the software knew that it was the start of 11 rather than the first number being 21.
Why would he need to write anything? Someone else in the next room could just be watching the lottery and typing the numbers in.

If you look closely at the balls the numbers do seem to be in a panel that's whiter than the rest of the ball, which leads me to believe in magic techno-balls - BUT....

If he was going to do it that way why couldn't he make it REALLY impressive and reveal one ball at a time immediately after the number is announced?
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:13   #212
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
Why would he need to write anything? Someone else in the next room could just be watching the lottery and typing the numbers in.

If you look closely at the balls the numbers do seem to be in a panel that's whiter than the rest of the ball, which leads me to believe in magic techno-balls - BUT....

If he was going to do it that way why couldn't he make it REALLY impressive and reveal one ball at a time immediately after the number is announced?
I don't think he did it that way, but he said the numbers were in order of size. Also predicting the order they came out might have been a bridge too far.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 20:16   #213
Hoskas
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Good thinking, motion control would be the only way to do it. If it was just a camera which was split for the section where they switched the balls then it would be extremely difficult to line it up for zooming and when it pans slightly. The camera switches to a second camera once when he enters the room, it shows Derren waving in front of a man with a hand held camera. That would be easy to film earlier and the change would be plenty long enough to switch from the hand held (that filmed him walk into the room) to the pre-set motion control camera. Motion control would also allow the spec of dirt that moves correctly when the camera zooms to be in the same place on both takes. The shakiness would still be added over top digitally.
wouldnt the motion control rig capture the shakiness of the original human cameraman(person) and then replicate it when it does the automated (live with the draw) pass later?
Old 10-09-2009, 20:28   #214
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoskas View Post
wouldnt the motion control rig capture the shakiness of the original human cameraman(person) and then replicate it when it does the automated (live with the draw) pass later?
The motion control rig is a massive arm with big motors and it's bolted to the floor in some cases. Any movements are programmed in/recorded by an operator using wheels and joysticks. I'm sure they can do small shakes but it's not generally used for those movements, it's the big ultra smooth swoops instead. Small shakes are the enemy of motion control.
Old 10-09-2009, 20:57   #215
stephen
Trusted User

I don't understand why you'd need any motion control. Surely they would just use a fixed camera with software that would just freeze the left hand side of the screen for the relevant amount of time, and add the shakes and zooms in afterwards.
stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 21:09   #216
Fatbloke
PSN : Fatbloke-66

I like the possibility of using a laser to etch the numbers on the balls, as suggested by a commentator on the DB site

Certainly seems like something camera related (which is a shame). But I'm still consufed how the snowflake in the (Friday reveal) trailer might be connected. Six sided - six balls
Fatbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 21:10   #217
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
yes, you're right.
Arthur Fowler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 21:14   #218
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen View Post
I don't understand why you'd need any motion control. Surely they would just use a fixed camera with software that would just freeze the left hand side of the screen for the relevant amount of time, and add the shakes and zooms in afterwards.
The camera zooms and pans, you can see a small parallax shift when it does it. Then there's some dirt on the lens which moves in accordance with the zooming. There is no way they could line it up (in real-time/live) without motion control. The camera shake is a trivial digital effect to add on.
Old 10-09-2009, 21:26   #219
Guest 2241
Trusted User

The only question really is how did they switch the balls. My first thoughts were some sort of split screen camera trick. Derren doesn't seem to touch the balls themselves so it's unlikely he actually switched anything.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 21:31   #220
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinb View Post
That's pretty impressive to get that made this fast.
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote