Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 29-11-2008, 18:58   #121
charlie angel
Trusted Schmoozer

I had an email from Euk on Friday (I'm a trade customer with them) saying that they were hoping to be back up & running this coming week, so who knows.
charlie angel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2008, 21:09   #122
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
Rumours of hardware/CD/DVD shortages from now until xmas because of Woolies wholesale arm being in trouble. Truly is the end of days...but according t'paper, there's about 200 parties interested in taking over the high street shops and they'll be open well into the new year, so end of the road sale hopes might be dashed.
Lots of DVDs out of stock in Woolies today. The place was heaving, lots of frantic buying going on.

I picked up the Godfather BD set for 26.77
Old 29-11-2008, 23:06   #123
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Just been on the telly about Wilkinsons 'possibly' shedding 1,500 jobs.
Old 29-11-2008, 23:35   #124
Mr Majestik
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Just been on the telly about Wilkinsons 'possibly' shedding 1,500 jobs.
That's because their bringing in a new distribution system rather than poor sales.
Mr Majestik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 12:30   #125
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie angel View Post
I had an email from Euk on Friday (I'm a trade customer with them) saying that they were hoping to be back up & running this coming week, so who knows.
Well Woolies & Zavvi had no games new releases on Friday & I've been informed that Woolies stores won't have any new release product for the rest of the year. I guess we'll find out tomorrow morning if they don't have the two Circus albums on their shelves, Take That & Britney Spears.
Mr M0by is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 13:38   #126
Guest 7255
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Majestik View Post
That's because their bringing in a new distribution system rather than poor sales.
Yeah they got a new guy in who is keen on changing the stock replenishment system as they currently have around Ł10m worth of stock in distribution centers. My wife is likely to be affected by this

Last edited by mne2; 30-11-2008 at 13:54.
Guest 7255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 13:45   #127
Guest 40923
Trusted User

well when they shut down on monday i bet the bins around the back of woolworths are gonna be packed with goodies

( ive know people in the past to walk away from woolwoths bins with bags of cd's)
Guest 40923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 15:15   #128
Adge
PSN: adge_uk XBL: adgeuk

We had a parcel delivered today, which were toys for my 3 year old this Christmas.

The very friendly delivery person was telling me they had been asked to return any Woolworths orders, I guess for the receivers, but she was checking dispatch notes on the boxes and any that contained toys was delivering them anyway as she had a 2 year old and was suffering the credit crunch and wouldn't want to see kids loose their Christmas presents.

Very noble of her, very sad state of affairs with Woolies, many a childhood time spent getting excited about pick and mix...
Old 30-11-2008, 21:09   #129
Jason
Trusted User

I purchased a mobile phone from the Woolworths website on the 26th. i checked my order the following morning and it said "ready for dispatch" later that day the website went down and has been down ever since.

My credit card has been debited, so what are my chances of actually getting the phone?

Jason
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2008, 23:28   #130
Guest 14131
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I purchased a mobile phone from the Woolworths website on the 26th. i checked my order the following morning and it said "ready for dispatch" later that day the website went down and has been down ever since.

My credit card has been debited, so what are my chances of actually getting the phone?

Jason
if you paid by credit card, then you should be able to claim via your credit card company and get them to credit your account. You just need to ring customer services for your CC. Thats if Woolies do go belly up.
Guest 14131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 00:12   #131
Guest 22713
Bronze Trader

Spoke to a cashier at the Music desk in a local store today and she had said that according to her boss EUK would be supplying them new releases on Monday again and they should be receiving new releases again by Tuesday! Now I know it could just be her boss reassuring her but she seemed to believe what she was telling me! Who know!
Guest 22713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 20:52   #132
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Woolies had no new release today. Zavvi/WHSmiths had no new release cd product and only a little amount of new release dvd (Warner i think). Whilst Smiths were telling customers that their deliveries were running late, Zavvi were informing them that the Spears/Take That albums were delayed nationwide and wouldn't be released until Tuesday at the earliest.
Supposedly, EUK are ready to function as normal & have their vans ready with the stock, however the administrators are insisting that nothing is delivered unless they're paid upfront. Could be a mis-informed rumour though.
Old 01-12-2008, 21:20   #133
Guest 2728
Trusted User

Local branches of Mozzies had no new releases on DVD (Hancock, Mummy etc) today. Presumably they've fallen victim to the EUK travails as well. Not bothered about this week's releases but next week is TDK - that better reach the shops safe and sound or else!
Guest 2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27   #134
Ste7en
Goin' Home to Satan

Zavvi
Old 02-12-2008, 11:40   #135
KennyVader
Insomniac

Wow, what a weird move to make. You'd think they would just email everyone to explain that orders might take a couple of weeks to fulfil, give people the option to cancel, and I'm sure everyone would understand and make other arrangements if required. To just throw all orders away, particularly when we're told that EUK is profitable and supposedly back in business any day now, is basically to hand all those customers to Amazon etc on a plate - and they may very well not come back to Zavvi.

I'm wondering if Zavvi themselves are about to go under as well, but their management are spying an opportunity to blame supply issues.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 15:50   #136
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

Not sure what else they could do really, seems like good customer service to me.

If they were deffo going bust themselves surely they'd just continue taking everyone's money and let the administrators sort it out...
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 17:07   #137
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
The mail they sent us..

Quote:
Hi,

As you may know, Woolworths Group plc is in administration. Entertainment UK (part of The Woolworths Group) is Zavvi.co.uk's main supplier of DVDs, music and games. As a result, Zavvi have decided to suspend taking orders for these products while they work to resolve the situation.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 21:12   #138
Mr M0by
[DVDF] Gedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyVader View Post
Wow, what a weird move to make. You'd think they would just email everyone to explain that orders might take a couple of weeks to fulfil, give people the option to cancel, and I'm sure everyone would understand and make other arrangements if required. To just throw all orders away, particularly when we're told that EUK is profitable and supposedly back in business any day now, is basically to hand all those customers to Amazon etc on a plate - and they may very well not come back to Zavvi.

I wonder if Guy Meisl will still be planning to make his Feb 3rd Keynote speech!

http://www.wbresearch.com/logiconeurope/full.asp
Old 02-12-2008, 21:28   #139
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
Discover How To Drive Down Costs By Outsourcing Your Entire Supply Chain
Guy Meisl,
Head of Logistics,
zavvi

The need to reduce costs and streamline supply chain operations is causing many organisations, like zavvi, to completely overhaul their supply chain strategy. Learn from zavvi’s decision to outsource everything, including product purchasing to EUK and the impact of this on their business in the highly competitive world of entertainment retailing.
Discover why and how zavvi made the decision to outsource everything to E-UK and evaluate whether this strategic move could work for your business
Uncover the key factors to success in this project and how you can achieve the same level of success by outsourcing your supply chain
Evaluating the strategic and implementation plan that zavvi used to successfully deliver this project and learn how you can deliver the same results in your organisation by following their blueprint
lol. He'll have to change his speech title to "Discover How To Royally **** Your Entire Company By Outsourcing Your Entire Supply Chain"
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 22:04   #140
Guest 151
[XBL] Retronana

The Zavvi web update today was not unexpected, given that EUK are not able to ship most of the product they have not paid for.

We were party to a group injunction against them last week, basically any goods not paid for can't be sold or returned by them, so this is the reason that the supply chain has dried up so quickly.

The losses on EUK for suppliers will be massive, given the size of the releases in the last few weeks, we have limited our exposure to EUK although its still not an insignificant sum we are still owed.

Once the dust has settled expect a few major studios to have very large holes in their turnovers, and fair few mini majors to be out of business.

Any studio/publisher in the UK that has a large amount of VC cash backing it up could be in trouble in the next week or so.

Zavvi have started the process of circumventing EUK, although given the deal they had via EUK was a good one I think the new trading terms they are likely to be offered for direct supply won't help their cash flow.

Some major players at risk on the retail side and therefore IMHO worth avoiding buying any sort of Gift Vouchers-Gift Cards for in this festive season:

Woolworths, Zavvi, Borders.

A few websites to be carefull of:

Online Commerce Sites: CD101, DVD.co.uk, Blah.com, Base.com

The lack of credit insurance is proving very difficult to overcome and those with low credit cover are really going to struggle between now and the end of Jan.
Guest 151 is offline   Reply With Quote