Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 14-04-2008, 11:44   #1
Richie
Trusted User

Dead Set (working title) Charlie Brooker writes E4's first scripted horror series!

source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...el4.television
Quote:
E4 has commissioned Guardian columnist Charlie Brooker to write the channel's first scripted horror series.

The six-part thriller, with the working title Dead Set, will be produced by Zeppotron, the independent owned by Endemol UK. Dead Set will be both E4's and Zeppotron's first move into the horror genre.

Casting details had not been finalised but Brooker told MediaGuardian.co.uk he expected it to comprise a "mixture of known and less well known faces".

Brooker said of his new series: "Dead Set is very different to anything I've done before, and I hope the end result will surprise, entertain and appal people in equal measure."

He added that he has long been a fan of horror films and that his new series "could not be described as a comedy".

"I couldn't really describe what it is but it will probably surprise people," Brooker said, adding that he plans to "continue as normal" with his print journalism.

Due to broadcast on the digital channel in late 2008, the series has been commissioned by the head of E4, Angela Jain, and the commissioning editor, Shane Allen.

Jain said of Dead Set: "It's enormously exciting that Charlie Brooker has penned this thriller for E4. He is an exceptional writer and this promises to be something special and unusual for E4."

Brooker will executive produce the series alongside Zeppotron's managing director, Annabel Jones.

The series is being produced by Chrissy Skinns and directed by Yann Demange, whose recent credits include ITV2's Diary of a Call Girl starring Billie Piper.

Brooker writes a weekly TV preview piece, Screen Burn, for the Guardian's Saturday supplement The Guide and a Monday column for the paper's G2 features section.

He also fronts BBC4 show Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe, in which he takes a coruscating look at the television industry and onscreen content.

Brooker also co-wrote the Channel 4 comedy series Nathan Barley with Chris Morris, which satirised the pretensions of the Hoxton-dwelling eponymous antihero.

Nathan Barley first appeared on the cult website TV Go Home, which Brooker created as a weekly spoof version of the Radio Times.

Zeppotron is the producer of both Nathan Barley and Screenwipe and also a shortlived attempt to make a television version of TV Go Home for E4 in 2001.

Brooker said that neither he nor Morris had given up on the idea of bringing back Nathan Barley. But he added that a return was on hold because of their current commitments.

Morris is currently working on a film satirising terrorism and suicide bombers for Channel 4.
Well, this could be very interesting! I just hope it's not about tv (the title doesn't fill me confidence tbh). Time will tell I guess.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 13:29   #2
chillster76
Yeah!

Quote:
"Morris is currently working on a film satirising terrorism and suicide bombers for Channel 4."
Crickey.