Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 21-03-2008, 04:18   #1
KennyVader
Insomniac

LOST Season 4, Ep. 8: Meet Kevin Johnson ***SPOILERS***

So ... Lost merges with Groundhog Day now? Whatever Michael tries he cannot die!

Couple of possible plot holes/questions that I can think of
- which is easier, faking a plane wreckage by buying an old 777, filling it with Thai bodies, and dropping it in the ocean ... or Mr Very Friendly faking a dossier that says Widmore did all that. Even though they spelled out that Widmore faked it, I'm still a little skeptical.
- if Widmore DID fake the plane wreckage, then if he's rich enough to do that fakery, then surely if one freighter gets disabled en route to the island then surely he would just dig deeper in his pocket and send another one. And another one and another one until one succeeds. So Ben's plan to just disable that one freighter seems a little flawed.

Interesting that Libby can appear to people off-island just like Charlie appeared to Hurley. Wonder if you have to be dead to appear to people off-island.

Glad to see that Fisher Stevens got a decent appearance and wasn't restricted to his earlier deranged and then dead appearances. I feel totally cheated that the episode trailer's "someone WILL DIE next week" just turned out to be Danielle and Carl! Thought it was going to be a more principal cast member. But who killed them? Presumably that was Frank's mission from the other week, to inject some more people from the freighter on to the island?
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 07:46   #2
Taq
Evil Scientist

eeks wasn't expecting that ending!

Hope Danielle isn't actually dead - I was looking forward to her flashback episode!
Old 21-03-2008, 10:52   #3
Guest 28199
Trusted User

Yay Manchester got a mention !

Not a bad episode at all.

Dave
Guest 28199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 11:15   #4
Richie
Trusted User

Why am I SO disappointed with this episode? Probably because they missed out the crucial bit between the jetty and New York unless we are to believe that that little boat went all the way there?
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 11:24   #5
Guest 10177
the Doctor is in!

Ben said that the heading would take them 'to rescue' - presumably they met up with someone who got them back to the US. But who? I'd like to know the specifics too, but dramatically it might not be that interesting...

Quote:
Interesting that Libby can appear to people off-island just like Charlie appeared to Hurley. Wonder if you have to be dead to appear to people off-island.
I really don't think they are appearing off the island. Both of them are manifestations of the guilt of the person seeing them - Michael obviously feels guilty over Libby and Hurley over leaving or lying about the other castaways.

I liked the set up of the boat, Ben's plotting and Michael's utter despondency... And Sayid's decisive response.
Guest 10177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 12:34   #6
TonyG
Xbox Live: Tony Gster

Fantastic episode, probably one of my favourites of this season. I was worried that Michael's flashbacks would be predictable. We all expected that he met up with the freighter on his escape from the Island, no way did I think he got home first, and how did that happen? ... Is there some kind of "wormhole" on heading 325 that ejects you out somewhere close to civilisation? ... it certainly explains how Ben & friends can get on/off the island so quickly.

The "Island wont let you die" concept is cool, the revelation that Ben is not as cold-hearted as Widmore (or was that another sleight-of-hand?) with the fantastic "NOT YET" message on the bomb.

... and then the end! ... NOOOOO ... you cant kill Danielle! I've been eager to see her flashbacks since S1.
TonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 12:50   #7
Guest 1800
no, i dont have 3 nipples

Bah, we didnt even see a familiar face at the end!! I was certain we'd at least see who was doing the shooting. Agree, i would have loved to see Danielles flashbacks !! I still dont think they have built up danielle's and ben's relationship much... I got REALLY giddy when i head the rumor of Vincents flashback, how cool would that have been?

We have another new hatch/base; the temple. Sounds very interesting, maybe we will find out more about the foot? The possible natives/hostiles (pitates on the blackrock ) on the island?

The others arent so bad? They get leave from the island. The fat guy is gay?! Sure was friendly with that guy in his room...

So we have about 3-4 more eps now? April 24th for the next ep? Im interested to see how this season ends.

Last edited by scaramanga; 21-03-2008 at 13:00.
Guest 1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 13:00   #8
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaramanga View Post
So we have about 3-4 more eps now? Im interested to see how this season ends.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 13:44   #9
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

So all those years surviving on the island (the black smoke, the polar bears, the others, etc) and a wee sniper out in the woods gets Danielle.

And surely if there was a Libby appearance, there should have been an Anna Lucia one... ?

From the Trailer last week it looked like there was an assault team heading for the island, but it turned out to be clay pidgeon shooting.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:01   #10
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Wonder if Danielle is actually dead? They made it clear that Carl was, but killing her off is a bit of a convenient way around avoiding the questions about her past.
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:08   #11
robzinski
Not on the list

End of Episode Preview

Not a bad ep, but I wanted to see how he got from the Island back to NY.

Hmmm, you only die when the Island allows it?

Also like the LOTR style maps that Ben seemingly has pre-printed for any situation.
robzinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:09   #12
Richie
Trusted User

Quote:
The fat guy is gay?! Sure was friendly with that guy in his room...
Duh! It was obvious from the second he said to Kate (in the showers in the Season 3 prem) "Er, Kate, You're not my type!"
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 14:46   #13
LIGHTRAY
Vandelay Industries

Old-man smooching,

Last edited by LIGHTRAY; 21-03-2008 at 14:47.
LIGHTRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 15:18   #14
BlueDwarf
I MUST HEAR FIREWORKS

"It wouldn't be a Lemon party without Old Dick"
BlueDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 15:40   #15
KennyVader
Insomniac

Quote:
The fat guy is gay?! Sure was friendly with that guy in his room...
That seemed so forced to me. It was suspected when he told Kate she wasn't his type, but what does it add to the story to so heavy-handedly confirm it? It seems to be "drama law" that you must have at least one "unnecessarily gay" character these days - like Dumbledore in Potter.

What on earth did the stylish Arturo see in the fat, old, Matalan-jumper-wearing Tom anyway

It would be nice to know how Tom gets to and from New York, but I suppose the submarine hadn't been blown up at that point?

The timeline seemed a bit stretched, it seemed like there was a lot for Michael to fit in inside a month or less:
- get back to New York
- lose Walt
- try to kill himself a couple of times, spend time in hospital recovering
- go to see Walt again
- get himself to Fiji to join the freighter
- stand around on the freighter mopping things up for at least a couple of weeks while it got out into the ocean near the island and people start to go mad etc / engines sabotaged etc.
- compile details of Charlotte etc for Ben and relay them to him

Don't really understand why he wouldn't just have gone to the authorities the minute he saw the plane wreck on the TV and say "hey I was on that plane" and blow the whole thing wide open.

I thought the 777 had never crashed (BA's was the first one, no?) and was too young to be scrapped, so not sure how Widmore would manage to buy one without it being known?

edit: For ultimate easy mission-wrecking, surely Michael would have just needed to disable the helicopter, best of all arrange for it to accidentally fall off the back of the boat

Last edited by KennyVader; 21-03-2008 at 15:42.
KennyVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 16:37   #16
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

yeah - "I was on that plane and I shot 2 other passengers in cold blood" would make him a hero...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 17:34   #17

When Carl was shot and slumped over did anyone else see the ear piece in his ear?
Old 21-03-2008, 17:54   #18
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Had to double take when i saw this...

It's Alex in the current Maroon 5 Video.
Old 21-03-2008, 18:10   #19
Matt KB
Meow meow meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by robzinski View Post
End of Episode Preview

Does it? I am missing one
Old 21-03-2008, 18:17   #20
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer