Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 31-01-2008, 10:38   #61
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

I'm only up to series 3 in rewatching (when they were first shown I think I gave up following it after series 4 and just caught the odd episode).

I am trying to remember if this was an episode of the X-Files or the Outer Limits. Note - it is NOT Ghost in the Machine from the X-Files:-

There was a computer that did all sorts of nasty stuff (can't remember any of it), but eventually gets tracked down and blown up or destroyed somehow.

Then in a final twist, it is shown that the computer had somehow managed to build another smaller version of itself, I *think* in some kind of TV van, so that it could carry on what it was doing.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is it Outer Limits or X-Files?
sparkyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 10:48   #62
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I don't think it's the X-files no.

On a related note, I have rewatched the 'arc' episodes over the last week or so, i.e.

# Season 1: Pilot, Deep Throat, Fallen Angel, E.B.E., The Erlenmeyer Flask
# Season 2: Little Green Men, Duane Barry, Ascension, One Breath, Red Museum, Colony, End Game, Anasazi
# Season 3: The Blessing Way, Paper Clip, Nisei, 731, Piper Maru, Apocrypha, Talitha Cumi
# Season 4: Herrenvolk, Tunguska, Terma, Memento Mori, Tempus Fugit, Max, Zero Sum, Gethsemane
# Season 5: Redux, Redux II, Patient X, The Red and the Black, The End
# The X-Files: Fight the Future (feature film)
# Season 6: The Beginning, S.R. 819, Two Fathers, One Son, Biogenesis
# Season 7: The Sixth Extinction, The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati, Sein und Zeit, Closure, En Ami, Requiem
# Season 8: Within, Without, Per Manum, This is Not Happening, Deadalive, Three Words, Vienen, Essence, Existence
# Season 9: Nothing Important Happened Today, Nothing Important Happened Today II, Trust No 1, Provenance, Providence, William, The Truth

and truly cannot understand the hate. I think the 'monster of the week' episodes muddied the water somewhat, and confused the issue, as watching these episodes back on their own, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

Recommended little project when you have the time.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 11:07   #63
Guest 19054
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyrob View Post
I'm only up to series 3 in rewatching (when they were first shown I think I gave up following it after series 4 and just caught the odd episode).

I am trying to remember if this was an episode of the X-Files or the Outer Limits. Note - it is NOT Ghost in the Machine from the X-Files:-

There was a computer that did all sorts of nasty stuff (can't remember any of it), but eventually gets tracked down and blown up or destroyed somehow.

Then in a final twist, it is shown that the computer had somehow managed to build another smaller version of itself, I *think* in some kind of TV van, so that it could carry on what it was doing.

Does this ring a bell with anyone? Is it Outer Limits or X-Files?
'Kill Switch' from Season 5? If I remember correctly Mulder ends up strapped into a machine in a caravan and has virtual fantasies about nurses cutting his arms off!
Guest 19054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 11:12   #64
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Hmm...just read the blurb on it, but I don't think it is that one.
Old 31-01-2008, 13:00   #65
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post

On a related note, I have rewatched the 'arc' episodes over the last week or so, i.e.

# Season 2: Little Green Men, Duane Barry, Ascension, One Breath, Red Museum, Colony, End Game, Anasazi
# Season 3: The Blessing Way, Paper Clip, Nisei, 731, Piper Maru, Apocrypha, Talitha Cumi
# Season 4: Herrenvolk, Tunguska, Terma, Memento Mori, Tempus Fugit, Max, Zero Sum, Gethsemane
# Season 7: The Sixth Extinction, The Sixth Extinction II: Amor Fati, Sein und Zeit, Closure, En Ami, Requiem
# Season 8: Within, Without, Per Manum, This is Not Happening, Deadalive, Three Words, Vienen, Essence, Existence
# Season 9: Nothing Important Happened Today, Nothing Important Happened Today II, Trust No 1, Provenance, Providence, William, The Truth

and truly cannot understand the hate. I think the 'monster of the week' episodes muddied the water somewhat, and confused the issue, as watching these episodes back on their own, the whole thing makes a lot more sense.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with the Alien arc episodes if they are watched properly. It is a lot easier to watch them on DVD then once a week on TV. It's not like the arc is that complicated.
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 13:53   #66
Bapapapa
ᗧ。。。。。。ᗣᗣᗣᗣ

What always confused me is - when Mulder and Krychek were captured and both had the black oil put in them, how did Mulder expunge himself of it..?

I don't think it was ever explained..
Bapapapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 14:21   #67
nwgarratt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bapapapa View Post
What always confused me is - when Mulder and Krychek were captured and both had the black oil put in them, how did Mulder expunge himself of it..?

I don't think it was ever explained..
nwgarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 18:19   #68
Guest 32985
Gamertag: bumgut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post

I planned to do that aswell but never got round to it.

The conspiracy was good early on, with characters like X and the Bounty Hunter, but I thought it got tiresome in the end. And I couldn't help but cringe every time I heard 'Super Soldier'.
Guest 32985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 18:47   #69
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I agree it does get a bit more convoluted from season 6 on, especially concerning the cig-smoking-man and his role, but even so, it still makes sense, and taken as one/two series of a pure conspiracy-centred sci-fi show, is as brilliant as it comes.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 20:42   #70
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

I'm going through the complete box set at the moment and am nearing the end of season 2. 'Humbug' was one of the creepiest and funniest things I've ever seen.

Also, why does 'The Calusari' have an 18 certificate?
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 21:46   #71
sparkyrob
It was collateral damage

Because of the exorcism scene, I believe.
Old 18-04-2008, 21:56   #72
Guest 4124
Trusted User

Just came across these for those who are wanting to purchase the season DVD sets.
super-cheap Season 1-8 R4 versions (@$16.95 AUD per season!!):

http://chaos.com/onsale.asp?LOC=4000...=3635&start=21
Guest 4124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 22:59   #73
statto
Jedi Master

Or you can get all nine seasons and the movie for £78 at amazon

Works out at £8.67 per season, with the movie thrown in for free.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote