Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 26-03-2010, 12:12   #41
Guest 17866
Babylon 5 Chief Engineer

Also here:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20100326...l-6323e80.html

Disappointing but not entirely surprising as it was way to high brow and 'intelligence' demanding for the average ITV1 viewer nowadays who seem to complain if they have not seen a Simon Cowell phone vote-a-thon 'talent' programme or Katie Price for at least ten minutes of air time.

I watched a few episodes of the revamped version recently and aside from the missing traditional theme tune I was actually reasonably impressed even if the episode I saw a couple of weeks ago I managed to spot who the gunman was right from the off unlike Sun Hill's finest!!
Guest 17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:17   #42
thescrounger
Trusted User

It was a mercy killing.
thescrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:23   #43
Alan b
Administrator

Thanked 1,285 Times in 581 Posts
I haven't watched it for years as it is far to soapy, it was much better in the old days with characters like Burnside, Ramsey, Roach et all.
Alan b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:37   #44
Alastair
Trusted User

End of an era. No more Sgt Cryer, Jean Ackland etc
Alastair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 12:38   #45

I didn't even know it was still on
Old 26-03-2010, 19:54   #46
mk.ten
The Truth Is Out Where???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan b View Post
I haven't watched it for years as it is far to soapy, it was much better in the old days with characters like Burnside, Ramsey, Roach et all.
Maybe to fill the gap that axing The Bill will leave, ITV should repeat it from the very beginning. It'll give those of us that prefer the old Bill to the new something to remember it by.
mk.ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 20:02   #47
alsemail
Bibble....

The best thing ITV could do is just show repeats of all their classic shows and completely give up on new programming. All they produce is crap drama, even worse reality TV and utterly dreadful family television.
alsemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2010, 21:40   #48
Alan b
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk.ten View Post
Maybe to fill the gap that axing The Bill will leave, ITV should repeat it from the very beginning. It'll give those of us that prefer the old Bill to the new something to remember it by.
They do show the old ones on UK Gold or something but I can't see them showing them on ITV 1 as they will probably show more x-factor type crap to fill in the gap.
Old 26-03-2010, 23:50   #49
Flap

Only saw this thread this time around. Want to echo what the first few posters to the thread said about 'classic' The Bill. Really good stuff replaced by dross.

Quote:
Just changing the subject slightly: I have to say that my all-time favourite stoyline "The Bill" has ever done is the love-triangle between Dave Quinnin, George Garlield and that nurse (Jenny) Dave met whilst in hospital after he got beat-up by thoses gang of hoodies. I believe THAT episode was called "Badlands". For me, this is when the show hit it's peak!

Anyone know the storyline I'm talking about?
Remember most of the stuff mentioned in the first few posts, including this bit
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 01:00   #50
mk.ten

Anyone gonna be watching the last ever episode on Tuesday? I'm currently on hols, but have Sky+'d the final two-parter. For anyone that's interested, ITV are also showing a documentary called "Farewell to The Bill" on the same night after the news.
Old 31-08-2010, 21:06   #51
Guest 17866
Babylon 5 Chief Engineer

Just watched the last episode. Some nods to the old days (the panning shot of two officers walking like the old closing titles, the original theme tune all be it rearranged over the end credits) and finally the rousing speech.

Shed a bit of a tear here... I grew up with The Bill and despite all the mucking around with the format over the years, it will still be missed.

Need to send the TSG Unit around to the house of the ITV Continuity announcer though... I thought we were going to get away without it but sure enough thirty seconds in she opened her ruddy gob!

Last edited by Fred2002; 31-08-2010 at 21:07.
Guest 17866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 21:09   #52
dvds2000
Trusted User

So thats it, finished.
Haven't watched it for years, but watched the finale double parter, and have to say thought it was a bit rubbish. If, as you would expect, they saved the best till last, the normal episodes must have been pretty bad and no wonder its gone.
Why do tv execs 'improve' shows that have been going for years, it never works
Quite sad IMO that what was once my favourite show, has slumped to the level of this and has now finished.
dvds2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 21:28   #53
Alan b
Administrator

I saw the last two minutes of it as I gave up on The Bill years ago when they started mucking around with it. It used to be a really good gritty drama but it started going down hill when they scrapped the 30 minute episodes and started this whole wobbly camera shots.
Old 31-08-2010, 22:20   #54
mk.ten

Assuming my Sky HD box hasn't had another breakdown like Lindsey Lohan, it should have recorded both episodes, which I won't get to see for another two weeks. But from what I've read about Jack Meadows speech at the end, I'm sure I will shed a slight tear.

As much as I hate what The Bill has become, I will always remember how good it used to be.

Only on DVD will I be able to hear THAT theme tune again!

So now it's over, what are people's favourite story lines? I've already mentioned Dave Quinnan getting beaten up but a gang of youths, but there are so many more;

June Ackland being hunted down by a gunman back in the day when The Bill was in it's 30-minute format is an early memory (it was a three-part story when The Bill went from showing twice weekly to three times a week).

JIm Carver and John Bolton (my personal fave officer) going up North and running into Frank Burnside, that resulted in a gun flight at a Central London train station when Carver & Bolton were brining a prisoner back to London.

John Bolton's death at the hands of Don Beech, which resulted in several officers quitting, and most of CID being replaced.

Jim Carver's drink problem, which came to a head when he and Tony Stamp where transferring criminals guns to a depot in Kent to be destroyed, but then the convoy they were travelling with got ambushed because Jim was throwing up on the side of the road.

Tony Stamp being charged with causing death by dangerous driving after he reversed his car and killed someone that walked out into the road without looking. He was responding to a call from Polly Page. That episode was called "Urgent Assistance."

Eddie Santini getting thrown in jail for trying to cover up the murder of a club owner, whom he was having an affair with. He also tried to rape Rosie Fox.

Luke Ashton on his first day and having to deal with the apparent suicide of a young girl that jumped of a roof. It was later proved that her father - played by Rik Mayal - threw her of the roof after finding out she was pregnant.

The lovely Vicky Hagan.

DI Sally Johnson (taking over from Frank Burnside after he failed to show up for work one day and just seemed to disappear) accidently killing a man whilst raiding his home. She shoved him, he fell backwards and hit the back of his head on the bedside cabinet, causing a fractured skull.

Luke Ashton quitting after he failed to rescue a girl from the hands of a man accused of drug dealing - played by Roger Daltry. He shot his daughter and then himself. Luck quit the force after this.

Terry Knowles - the PCSO that got partnered with Tony Stamp. He was stabbed in the neck by a woman whilst he was trying to chat her up, whilst Reg Hollis and Des Taviner went to Brighton so Reg could propose to his girlfriend.

Steve Loxton, who quit after assaulting a black youth. A great copper, but a bit of a moody git.

Mat Boyden and his troublesome daughter.

Chris Deakin, another CID officer caught in the Don Beech mess.

And finally, Viv Martella. Who was shot dead at point blank range by two bank robbers with a sawn-off shot gun.

Oh, how the memories are all flooding back!

Last edited by mk.ten; 31-08-2010 at 23:02.
Old 31-08-2010, 22:49   #55
dvds2000
Trusted User

thought the documentary was pretty **** poor too, they could have at least got a few more ex cast members onto the set, ones from the Burnside era for example. Thought they might have had some guest appearences in the final episodes too from the likes of Tony Stamp.
Was quite surprised there were only 17 cast members though.
Old 30-01-2012, 01:06   #56
mk.ten

So sad to read this: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s20/t...ies-at-59.html
Old 30-01-2012, 01:11   #57
dbilsborough
Having a mid-life crisis

Quote:
very

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-16779915

on BBC too
dbilsborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 16:28   #58
dvds2000
Trusted User

RIP
Old 30-01-2012, 18:38   #59
Guest 2241
Trusted User

Remember him from when The Bill was worth watching. Seemed like a nice guy too but who can tell
Guest 2241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 21:05   #60
Guest 34148
M0DDEH OF PIES

Quote:

JIm Carver and John Bolton (my personal fave officer) going up North and running into Frank Burnside, that resulted in a gun flight at a Central London train station when Carver & Bolton were brining a prisoner back to London.

John Bolton's death at the hands of Don Beech, which resulted in several officers quitting, and most of CID being replaced.

Jim Carver's drink problem, which came to a head when he and Tony Stamp where transferring criminals guns to a depot in Kent to be destroyed, but then the convoy they were travelling with got ambushed because Jim was throwing up on the side of the road.

Tony Stamp being charged with causing death by dangerous driving after he reversed his car and killed someone that walked out into the road without looking. He was responding to a call from Polly Page. That episode was called "Urgent Assistance."

Eddie Santini getting thrown in jail for trying to cover up the murder of a club owner, whom he was having an affair with. He also tried to rape Rosie Fox.

Steve Loxton, who quit after assaulting a black youth. A great copper, but a bit of a moody git.

Mat Boyden and his troublesome daughter.

Chris Deakin, another CID officer caught in the Don Beech mess.

And finally, Viv Martella. Who was shot dead at point blank range by two bank robbers with a sawn-off shot gun.

Oh, how the memories are all flooding back!
Remember all of them. Great show in its peak. Bolton and Santini were my favourite characters - just a shame The Bill started killing the decent characters every few weeks it seemed

Didn't realise that Monroe left in 2002. How time flies. RIP

Last edited by RESSEH; 03-02-2012 at 21:05.
Guest 34148 is offline   Reply With Quote