Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Shopping and Money Forums > Suppliers and Shopping Forum

Notices

Old 22-07-2005, 18:07   #241
Guest 1661
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofbeans
its sitting in my local sorting office... and the card i got through the door says it'll get returned to sender if not collected in 3 weeks... is there any way i can get them to send it back quicker than that?
Sure, pop along to your sorting office and tell them to.

re the "gift" thing: "gift" status isn't defined by how good friends you are or aren't, it's defined by whether you paid for the goods or not.
Guest 1661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2005, 18:23   #242
wallofbeans
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Sure, pop along to your sorting office and tell them to.

re the "gift" thing: "gift" status isn't defined by how good friends you are or aren't, it's defined by whether you paid for the goods or not.
okay - ill do that.

and - he is actually gonna refund my money but we might figure something out after that... what if he sent me a gift and i sent him a gift as well? that's okay... right?

thanks for the advice.. we'll see what happens......
wallofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 11:59   #243
Guest 993
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallofbeans
but the sender could miscalculate the worth of the item? its not much over that £18 anyway....... and wierdly, i wouldnt be lying now... me and the guy in the states have actually become quite friendly trying to sort this out as neither of us have had to deal with this kind of thng before... so it may well end up that it gets returned to him and he resends it to me as my friend and therefore saying its a gift is absolutely true!
If you've paid for it, it's still in HM terms not a gift no matter if it's sent by an individual.

For it to be a true legal gift it must be something sent by a friend/relative that you have had no transaction in (e.g. granny sends you a sweater she knitted for you birthday ), and it has to be occasional in nature for things like birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

Of course there's no way to prove it, but HMC&E are wise to methods of bypassing the rules and they will frequently (almost always probably) ignore the 'gift' declaration because they know most of the time it's false.

If you want more chance of getting away without being hit however you may have more success if you get this guy to send the item to you declared as a repaired item with zero value (not marked as gift). If he makes it look like it's from a company it may add more weight to it.

Last edited by DeadKenny; 23-07-2005 at 12:01.
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 18:14   #244
wallofbeans
Trusted User

hey all

so it turns out the guy who send me sunglasses thinks he put they were worth $100 rather than $10 and that's why we think it got hit... i paid 20 something quid but half of that was p&p......

he's been really good and paypal'd me the cost of paying the customs charge but i want to try and get back the money and return it to him if i can... somebody mentioned there's a customs address that i can write to explaining the situation etc... can anyone give that address and let me know what i should include as proof of what happened etc. ?

thanks all

Last edited by wallofbeans; 23-07-2005 at 18:15.
wallofbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 08:28   #245
PaulaB
Trusted User

From the 2005 budget

"I have today written to the european commission proposing that the tax free limits on goods brought into the UK from outside the european union should rise from £135 to £1000.

Has anything been done about this?
PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 08:55   #246
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaB
From the 2005 budget

"I have today written to the european commission proposing that the tax free limits on goods brought into the UK from outside the european union should rise from £135 to £1000.

Has anything been done about this?
That relates to the limit on you going on holiday and bringing goods back yourself from outside the EU. The limit for our internet/mail order purchases remains at £18/£36 for gifts
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 08:56   #247
PaulaB
Trusted User

I know but has anything done about lifting what you can bring back on holiday yet.
PaulaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 15:13   #248
Guest 993
Trusted User

Thread here on it, but no news...

http://www.thedvdforums.com/forums/s...d.php?t=359095
Guest 993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 21:01   #249
Guest 45362
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_caygill
That relates to the limit on you going on holiday and bringing goods back yourself from outside the EU. The limit for our internet/mail order purchases remains at £18/£36 for gifts
Yep, which ludicrously have not even been increased in line with inflation. £18 is a ridiculously small allowance. Thankfully DVDs have dropped in price...even so.

BTW, it's worth noting what the Revenue have to say about "Customs Friendly" places:

Note: Some unscrupulous overseas suppliers openly advertise on the internet, or on their web-sites that they will deliberately either misdescribe items or underdeclare their value in order to evade customs charges that are legally due on importation. You should be aware that although the foreign sender may have completed the customs declaration form on the parcel you are regarded (in law) as the importer of the goods and responsible for the information on the declaration, and any customs charges that may be due. This means that if you purchase goods from these suppliers and the declaration is found to be false or misleading you may be liable to financial penalties or criminal prosecution. Furthermore the goods themselves will be liable to forfeiture. It is in your own interests to ensure Customs declarations are completed properly.
Guest 45362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 06:32   #250
Guest 41110
Frontier Psychiatrist

I received a package from Amazon Japan a couple of days ago containing an item worth „3000, which according to XE.com is £15.09 by the current exchange rate -- yet I've been hit by customs for £7.47.

The postage is also marked on the customs declaration for „900, which would take the total amount over the £18 limit. However, if the item itself is less than £18, then the postage shouldn't be taken into account, right?

Despite it being from a Japanese e-tailer, all of the customs labels are in English, including the „900 charge being clearly marked as 'Freight and Insurance'. So I'm pretty sure that someone has screwed up here and I've been wrongly charged.

How would I go about reclaiming this money from them? I remember there being advice posted on here about how to do it a while back, but my searches have proved unsuccessful. Thanks.
Guest 41110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 11:45   #251
Guest 45362
Trusted User

It depends what exchange rate Customs are using. They review rates every two weeks AFAIK, so they aren't always using the up-to-the-minute rates XE uses.

You are right, AFAIK the shipping charge is only counted once the value of the goods goes over £18, otherwise it is ignored.

You should be able to recover the customs charge. I think you'd need to produce evidence (a printout of the sales invoice or email confirmation etc) of the original transaction, plus the declaration on the box.

I think what you need to do is buried deep in the DVDSoon thread here, since so many people recovered the charges when DVDSoon didn't put iCard discounted prices on their declarations, but the pre-discount price.

AFAIK you can recover the £4 from the Royal Mail as well, but with more hassle. You'll probably spend a couple of quid on stamps for the letters to them etc!
Guest 45362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2005, 18:32   #252
Guest 3627
GamerTag: Caygs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretak
I received a package from Amazon Japan a couple of days ago containing an item worth „3000, which according to XE.com is £15.09 by the current exchange rate -- yet I've been hit by customs for £7.47.

The postage is also marked on the customs declaration for „900, which would take the total amount over the £18 limit. However, if the item itself is less than £18, then the postage shouldn't be taken into account, right?

Despite it being from a Japanese e-tailer, all of the customs labels are in English, including the „900 charge being clearly marked as 'Freight and Insurance'. So I'm pretty sure that someone has screwed up here and I've been wrongly charged.

How would I go about reclaiming this money from them? I remember there being advice posted on here about how to do it a while back, but my searches have proved unsuccessful. Thanks.
Fourth bullet of the first post:

Quote:
Postage and packing must be remembered. If the total value of goods in the package that are liable to duty and VAT is less than £18 WITHOUT P&P, you will not be liable for a charge. If the total value of goods in the package exceeds £18, the VAT and duty is charged on the total value of the goods INCLUDING P&P
As for how to recover it, you need to contact HMR&Cand they will advise on who you need to contact. Link to their website in the first post. The RM charge will have to come back through RM, so check their website for contact information.
Guest 3627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 19:00   #253
grimley
Apprentice Time Lord..

[RANT]I'm well narked with the Posties!!![/RANT]

I ordered a 10 metre HDMI lead from the USA a couple of weeks ago
I've been stung for £16- by HM Finest It said on the card I got through the door I could pay by putting stamps on the card & posting it & then they'd post the lead to me - so I've done that by going into the post office & paying for said stamps - Instead of the lead They've posted the card back to me WTF???

Bunch of
Old 19-08-2005, 09:23   #254
Paul Moran
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimley
I ordered a 10 metre HDMI lead from the USA a couple of weeks ago. I've been stung for £16- by HM Finest It said on the card I got through the door I could pay by putting stamps on the card & posting it & then they'd post the lead to me - so I've done that by going into the post office & paying for said stamps - Instead of the lead They've posted the card back to me
Plonkers! I think the postie used an old version of the card. The current version - I've had lots of them in recent months, but I don't have one right now - makes it clear that you can only pay by cash or cheque when collecting the article from the PDO.
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 11:40   #255
Guest 24319
Going Gold Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Moran
Plonkers! I think the postie used an old version of the card. The current version - I've had lots of them in recent months, but I don't have one right now - makes it clear that you can only pay by cash or cheque when collecting the article from the PDO.
I had three last month and all said that I could pay by stamps or franking impressions.
Guest 24319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2005, 13:02   #256
Paul Moran
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoMorse
I had three last month and all said that I could pay by stamps or franking impressions.
Disgraceful! And did you try to pay that way?
Paul Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 14:12   #257
Guest 30871
Trusted User

I want to buy a CD Player from the US for £250. It'll cost me £450 over here so I'm quite keen to take advantage of it, what are the chances I'll get away with bringing it back into the country? I mean what's to stop me saying I bought it second hand say for £100??
Guest 30871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005, 00:18   #258
Guest 48339
Trusted User

Has anyone here ordered from yesasia? Was looking to preorder a boxset.. X Japan Boxset

edit: affiliate link didnt work? http://global.yesasia.com/assocred.a...id-1004055004/ that is the direct link Affiliated now

but as you can see its a bit on the expensive side. $301.99. I know yesasia prepay VAT or something, does that mean I wouldnt get hit with a customs charge? I'm an idiot with all this stuff, and do not feel like ordering it if i'm going to pay an extra $100 for a customs charge.

Edit: I've searched through the forum and found some old posts, 1 stating "its why i order from yesasia so much, no chance of getting hit by customs no matter how large the order, yay !"

Can someone confirm this please?

Last edited by Alan b; 26-08-2005 at 06:12.
Guest 48339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2005, 14:07   #259

I think your best bet is to email them , and ask them directly.Before last Monday I thought there would be no problem but then I had my first customs charge from them on a large order.However , when I emailed them they said they would refund that charge - see my thread "Yesasia and UK Customs" a few threads down from this one ( sorry I don't know how to link it).
Old 30-08-2005, 23:38   #260
Guest 48339
Trusted User

Its okay, I got an email back saying that I wont be charged a customs fee. However I saw your thread too so I'll make a note to them to prepay the vat.. or if I get hit with a £100 customs charge, i'll get them to pay me back
Guest 48339 is offline   Reply With Quote