Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 13-09-2005, 16:22   #21
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondlin
I didn't see season 1, but seen season 2 ep 1-7. I am a little lost, if someone can clarify this for me it'll be great.

First, i take it the humans (47k odd) are drfiting in space, looking for Earth ? (how the hell do they not know where it is?). The Robots (Cylon) have evolved and it faught back against the humans and started to kill them all off i take it. How come some of them are human like? they obviously can breath, bleed and even have children, if they are clones, they are still humans are they not? How come they don't have lasers? Space tech age and still using good old projectile weapons?

p.s. who is that blonde who is in that guy's imagination?
1) They are looking for Earth, but they weren't too sure where it is because it's just mythical to them. Adama told the crew in the mini-series that he was priviledge to top secret info and knows where Earth is, so he's taking them there. He was of course lying, and President Roslin called him on it, but they are letting the crew think that they do know where it is for morale reasons. Of course in recent episodes, they found proof that Earth does exist and directions of a sort, so they are really on there way there now.

2) We don't know a lot about Cylons yet, but they are able to take on human form now and impersonate us perfectly, down to blood, organs, etc. Many of their mysteries are yet to be revealed, such as how they communicate and what exactly they are up to. They seem to be very religious though and have an interest in learning about human reproduction. Boomer is pregnant on the Galactica now, so the mystery deepens - if they can have babies, why are they trying to find out so much about it?

3) They don't use lasers and have some more "retro" technology for a couple of reasons: the producers decided to go for that look and feel, and as the Cylons are able to tap into and destroy any kind of advanced technology, the fact that Galactica is an old ship using very outdated technology is the reason they weren't destroyed in the beginning.

4) The blonde woman is only known as Six. She's a Cylon that knew Dr. Baltar before they attacked, and tricked him into giving her access to the defence mainframe. When Baltar survived the attack on Caprica and escaped, he started seeing her where no one else could. He originally thought he was hallucinating, but Six suggested that maybe she had implanted a chip in his brain and was transmitting her image. That's what we all assumed until recently when she suggested that maybe Baltar is just insane. So we really don't quite know how she's there, but a couple of episodes ago we discovered that there is no chip in his brain. Six has Baltar right under her thumb and she can hurt him if she wants too, and has converted him to her religious beliefs.

Hope that helps!
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 16:33   #22
Guest 17778
Alias

That does help a bit thanks, not a bad series but Stargate is a lot easier to get into in comparison.
Guest 17778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 17:08   #23
Refrenz
Phantom Raspberry Blower

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist
1) That's what we all assumed until recently when she suggested that maybe Baltar is just insane.
Naaa, he's not insane - remember, in episode 7 of series 1, number 6 actually 'becomes real' ... (text taken from official site episode guide) ...

"Baltar and the Number Six who lives in his head have a falling out, she abandons him, only to surface a short while later aboard the Galactica. But now she's called Shelley Godfrey, everyone can see her, and she's telling them that she has evidence, passed on by the late Dr. Amarak, that will prove Baltar sold out the human race to the Cylons."
Refrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2005, 17:13   #24
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Ah, of course, I had forgotten about that! That was one of the best episodes as well. That's why I love this show, everything is connected and things are becoming more complicated. Stargate may be easier to get into and while I still love that, this is more rewarding.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 19:36   #25
Guest 2295
Filmmaker

Wasn't too keen on this episode to be honest. Didn't really know who Lucy Lawless was, so that whole thing passed me by! (Yes I've never seen Xena)

In this episode I'm wondering if the Galactica represents "America" and the rest of the fleet is "the rest of the world". Watch it again with that in mind and you'll see the theory could hold up. Americans do like to think they're in charge of the world (generalisation I know) and that their military actions overseas (i.e. in the fleet) are often misunderstood and they're doing a great job really despite innocent people being killed... but don't worry, just play the national anthem (original theme music) and everyone feels ok.

Last edited by foilman; 16-09-2005 at 19:38.
Guest 2295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2005, 14:13   #26
Guest 20854
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refrenz
Naaa, he's not insane - remember, in episode 7 of series 1, number 6 actually 'becomes real' ... (text taken from official site episode guide) ...
I loved the 'Balter is really just insane' stuff from a few weeks back, as I'd been waiting for them to pull that one since the start. Even things like the Cylon baby are explicable in this context - Baltar is fabricating this stuff himself as a means of proving to himself that he's not culpable for the genocide, but is merely an instrument of God's plan - but you're right that the Shelly Godfrey episode is just *too* coincidental for this theory to continue to hold water.

In retrospect, it's a really weird episode that raises a lot more questions than it answers, especially as regards to what happens to Shelly Godfrey (she disappears without trace). The President flat out states that she doesn't trust Baltar and yet a couple of episodes later is happy to have him installed as VP (admittedly as a 'better the devil you know' alternative to Zarek), and basically no one ever seems to mention anything about it ever again.

To my mind at least it sticks out like a sore thumb in the 1st season's tight continuity. Can anyone remember if Starbuck has any contact with Shelly? She at least now would be able to ID her as a Cylon (as would Helo).

Mind you of course, Sharon must know what all 12 Cylon models look like!

ph

Last edited by pandaboy; 17-09-2005 at 14:14.
Guest 20854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 17:23   #27
James45
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deron
It shows that Boomer is disconnected from the hive as they don't know what's going on.
There is no 'hive', as the bloke from Due South said earlier, it' doesn't work like that.

Great episode, loved hearing the original theme, don't remember hearing it in the mini-series though.
James45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 17:32   #28
Spooky_uk
XBL/PSN : SPOOKYVILLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45
Great episode, loved hearing the original theme, don't remember hearing it in the mini-series though.
it was being played in the hanger deck by the band as the vipers flew past for the ceremony near the beginning.
Spooky_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2008, 22:41   #29
Professor Abronsius
Fearless Vampire Killer

Good episode.

Never seen the Xena Ending coming.

Nobody mentioned Starbuck's Workout! Not even TonyG.
Professor Abronsius is offline   Reply With Quote