Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 15-03-2019, 12:34   #101
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

funnily enough I just started re-watching this the other day, then the thread got bumped...
bumfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 15:57   #102
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,075 Times in 884 Posts
So what did you think, bumfrog ?

With so much good stuff around, personally I've never re-watched anything, although top of my list would be The Sopranos (which I watched weekly on airing) and then maybe a BCS/BB marathon and a GOT repeat in a few years.

So in this 'Age of TV', I'm very surprised that 'Rubicon' would be re-watchable by anyone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by statto View Post
I think it's an amazing show (admittedly having watched it at the old school pace of one a week when it originally aired). I wonder whether it isn't really a show that's designed to be binged?
Surprisingly, watching them back-to-back actually works quite well - there are very few of those obvious lines that the characters deliver to the audience, to remind them of who someone is, or an event that happened a while ago. A few repetitive things did jump out though -
- Spangler - smoking out of the window in his office, like a badass (OK, we get it!)
- Spangler - always looking for someone (Will, Ingram)
- Will - and the electronic bugs ! What was the big deal ... so dramatic ?! They treated it like bugs were a new invention ... and who was he supposed to be speaking with at home, anyway ? And at his desk ?
- taking (confidential) work home - would they really do this ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padwah View Post
Aw, got excited when I saw this thread bumped. Loved Rubicon, watched it again a couple of years ago. Don't understand the comparison to CSI or Bones?
Did it stand up on repeat viewing ? My comparison with 'Bones' was only the emotional attachment to the characters - they're quirky, but you don't feel anything for them (*). And what was the point of the Amanda Richardson character, and the retired black guy ?

The procedures they follow seem way too simplistic, and they hardly do any work at all !! All the overseas stuff was way too dumbed down. And what was with the (ethnic) IT guy in the basement ? Maybe I missed some explanation, but why were their offices so low tech, with reams of papers ? Was it supposed to be old-school for some reason ? (Wasn't it modern day, 2010 ?)

(*) exception - Will's girlfriends - there's an electric scene with the office girlfriend, and the arty neighbour (and the druggie female workmate) were unusual and well done.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:41   #103
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
So what did you think, bumfrog ?
I think it still stands up pretty well. Some great acting, none of the characters are perfect, in fact most of them are quite unlikable to a certain degree, which I like.

I think the whole low tech thing is on purpose. Computers are a big distraction if you are meant to be concentrating on one thing, plus to a certain degree they can be a bigger security risk than having things on paper that can then be shredded. Much easier to keep a locked room full of filing cabinets secure then a load of computers connected to the internet. I think that's also why they have their basement IT guy - ie, only one person can access certain things. At least that's my theory

Had they strung it on for more seasons, I feel as though it definitely would have not been as good as they would have had to stretch things out, fill in blanks on characters that make them lose their sense of mystique etc. I like that it's just one series - a brief glimpse in to the world of analysts, with a conspiracy plot that's not forever ongoing.
Old 08-04-2019, 16:09   #104
driver8
eviscerate your memory

Thanked 2,075 Times in 884 Posts
We'll have to agree to disagree, and I'm not one for arguing for the sake of it.

Low tech - yes, that's how I took it too, but I just wondered if it had been mentioned/discussed early on.

More seasons - if there had been more, I would have bailed by about ep4 as it just wasn't for me. I only stuck with it cos the end was near! (And I had a 6hr night 'duty' with 6hrs left to watch).

Two more things I remembered (cos all those hours is quite an investment!) -

1) Will is supposed to be such a genius, yet he does virtually nothing ! The figuring stuff out element (as hyped by the excellent credits) is almost non existent.

2) We are clearly shown a couple of times how Ingram has the key to get upstairs (uplift?!) to Spangler's office, all high-security and protocol, yet some time later, Will just pops up there ... how ? (Maybe I missed it, as it seems a terrible blooper).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:26   #105
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
1) Will is supposed to be such a genius, yet he does virtually nothing ! The figuring stuff out element (as hyped by the excellent credits) is almost non existent.
My take is I think that's more because he was being led around by various people as a pawn, showing that he wasn't anything special, and was showing his descent in to almost madness.

Quote:
2) We are clearly shown a couple of times how Ingram has the key to get upstairs (uplift?!) to Spangler's office, all high-security and protocol, yet some time later, Will just pops up there ... how ? (Maybe I missed it, as it seems a terrible blooper).
All the doors were open because of the FBI lockdown.