Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Old 31-10-2018, 19:42   #41
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Its just a production test, no doubt he will have the cat eyes for the show

Just read on reddit, "the showrunner helmed The Defenders. Most of the writers worked on ****** CW dramas." Less hope for the show now.

I do need to read the books (although the writer is massive arse hat) heard the Metro 2033 author has been taking some pot shots at him.
Old 31-10-2018, 20:45   #42
ourmatetone
PSN/XBL/Steam: tone217

IIRC, the “cat eyes” thing was invented for the game. I’ve read four or five of the books and don’t recall it ever mentioned. They may still go down that route for the show purely for fan service though.
ourmatetone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44   #43
Shingster
Trusted User

The books regularly describe him narrowing his eyes to slits to help him see better against harsh light, plus in the third book (I think) in one of those pre-chapter information dumps there's an excerpt from a book on the Trial of Grasses that describes each day of the mutation process, which ends with this line: (I'm gonna spoiler this because you never know when someone will fly off the handle about even the most innocuous of spoilers here)

Plus there are a few instances where peasants and whatnot run into Geralt and are described as being scared of/disgusted by his eyes or that they consider his eyes to be inhuman, etc.

I don't think it's ever stated that his eyes look like those of a cat though, although cats hate him and a cat-loving character does ask him once: "Geralt, the reaction of my cats... is it because?" - "Yes". I always took that exchange as confirmation that cats don't like geralt because of his cat-like eyes.

Last edited by Shingster; 01-11-2018 at 05:22.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:34   #44
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
The books regularly describe him narrowing his eyes to slits to help him see better against harsh light, plus in the third book (I think) in one of those pre-chapter information dumps there's an excerpt from a book on the Trial of Grasses that describes each day of the mutation process, which ends with this line: (I'm gonna spoiler this because you never know when someone will fly off the handle about even the most innocuous of spoilers here)

Plus there are a few instances where peasants and whatnot run into Geralt and are described as being scared of/disgusted by his eyes or that they consider his eyes to be inhuman, etc.

I don't think it's ever stated that his eyes look like those of a cat though, although cats hate him and a cat-loving character does ask him once: "Geralt, the reaction of my cats... is it because?" - "Yes". I always took that exchange as confirmation that cats don't like geralt because of his cat-like eyes.

Ah, OK. Thank you. I only started reading them a couple of years ago, so it’s kinda shocking that I haven’t retained details like that.

I hope they do give him the cat eyes for the show. I expect they’ll go down the digital route rather than go old school with contact lenses, which would explain why his eyes were normal in the make up test.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:07   #45
Taq
Evil Scientist

Looks like Henry Cavill in a wig. The guy's just too good looking.
Old 05-11-2018, 13:28   #46
ourmatetone

Turns out Geralt had the cat eyes in the original Polish series, which pre-dated the games by several years.

Old 05-11-2018, 18:41   #47
Shingster
Trusted User

They look like £5 cat-eye contacts ordered from ebay as well!
Old 06-11-2018, 14:06   #48
ourmatetone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
They look like £5 cat-eye contacts ordered from ebay as well!
From what I've heard, the original show is ropey as hell. At least Netflix's attempt can't be much worse...
Old 06-11-2018, 17:51   #49
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourmatetone View Post
From what I've heard, the original show is ropey as hell. At least Netflix's attempt can't be much worse...
While the budget is higher (it should be as the polish version was very very low budget) More concerned by: its the show runner of Defenders and ex CW writers, also the writers and very toxic on social media.
Old 06-11-2018, 18:52   #50
Shingster
Trusted User

Lauren S. Hissrich wasn't a showrunner on The Defenders, she was one of the main writers (she co-write five of the episodes). Either way though, I have the same lack of confidence in her creative form.
Old 01-07-2019, 14:32   #51
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Logo and photos revealed:

Cavill looks better than I had expected. Yennefer and Ciri both look like good choices.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 01-07-2019 at 14:40.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 14:37   #52
JimDriver2
Trusted User

Generally ok, I feel like he should look more grizzled though.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 15:29   #53
oldskool
Trusted User

Am I missing why he's only carrying one sword?
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 16:02   #54
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

Been a while, but in the books he carries one sword. There is a second sword for rare monsters but he doesn't keep it on his back all the time.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 01-07-2019 at 16:03.
Old 01-07-2019, 16:14   #55
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

This is from the game, the silver sword is for monsters only, steel is for humans types

Henry looks ok (more christoper lambert in Mortal kombat)
yennifer looks bad, I would have no idea its suppose to be her
Ciri looks like LOTR elf character

I see the internet knob goblins on that twitter thread are already playing the race card a bunch of Jeremy hunts
Old 01-07-2019, 16:26   #56
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A lot of the Twitter comments are disgusting. I've enjoyed reporting a few for hate speech/racism. I don't know why people feel so entitled.
Old 01-07-2019, 16:32   #57
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A better pic (more grizzled!)

Old 01-07-2019, 21:51   #58
Shingster
Trusted User

Geralt looking much better now that he's grungy (and it looks like he does have funky eyes afterall), but did anyone expect Henry Cavill to not look the part? I mean, looking good is the one thing we know he does well!

Ciri looks much older than I expected from the original photos of the actress, guess they were from quite some time ago given she's 17 now! Not sure if this means we'll first meet her at the age she is in the books when she first appears, or much later. It would be a shame if its the latter as that probably means they'll largey ignore Sword of Destiny which is by far the best book in the series. I guess it depends on whether they've cast a younger Ciri on the sly maybe? Probably not.

Anya Chalotra looks nothing like Yennifer from the books and she never will, just completely different in every aspect other than dark hair and violet eyes. She's been plucked from obscurity and she's a local lass to me (I think she's from Wolverhampton?) so I'm rooting for her nonetheless. Supposedly she earned acclaim treading the boards so she might be a case of completely different look, but nails the character, whereas Cavill has the opposite problem: He looks right, but can he pull off a character like Geralt?

I've been waiting for a casting announcement for Dijkstra but there hasn't been one so it sounds like they're not gonna feature him in the first season (which makes sense, but then they've cast other characters that turn up much later in the story than Dijkstra, so who knows?). Does anyone feel that Greg Davies would be ideal casting in that role?

Last edited by Shingster; 01-07-2019 at 21:56.
Old 04-07-2019, 20:02   #59
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
A lot of the Twitter comments are disgusting. I've enjoyed reporting a few for hate speech/racism. I don't know why people feel so entitled.
Those people are going to lose their **** when they find out who the new Ariel in Disney's Little Mermaid is.
Old 04-07-2019, 23:45   #60
Shingster
Trusted User

I don't know why everyone's so shocked about The Little Mermaid casting, Zendaya's been rumoured as a hot favourite for about a year now so most people should have known that a black Ariel was a real possibility.