Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-09-2017, 12:15   #1
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

The Orville - Seth MacFarlane's Star Trek homage/comedy

I thoroughly enjoyed this!

Your own enjoyment of this new show might depend on your own love for 1990s Star Trek, and whether or not you find Seth MacFarlane funny. Fortunately for me, I'm a big fan of both and the first episode of The Orville was delightful fun. It's an homage to The Next Generation's style and storytelling, with an added comedy element (which isn't as overpowering as the trailers made it seem). The jokes were all pretty funny, too, but I'd probably have laughed more if the trailer hadn't spoiled all of them beforehand.

Mostly, it's very evident that Seth LOVED Star Trek, and he's managed to pay tribute to a lot of the things that we loved about it.

I like pretty much all of the characters, and it seems well cast - at this point we don't really know much about anyone beyond the captain, his ex-wife and his helmsman friend (I'm still learning names!), but I can see a lot of potential. There's good chemistry between MacFarlane and Palecki.

It looks great, with some lovely special effects and an attention to visual details (views through windows, engine damage) that was never seen in Star Trek, most likely because the technical capabilities and budget wouldn't really have allowed for it back then.

It's even got the fade-to-black advert breaks at dramatic moments! It feels like years since I've seen that. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going, and I think it's got a lot of heart. Unfortunately, this is a Fox sci-fi show and I'm completely expecting it to be cancelled.

Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 11-09-2017 at 12:27.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote