Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2021, 21:05   #21
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockosjungle View Post
Just went to see Mrs Doubtfire at the cinema.

Was it really that rude when it was originally released?

I'm not that old, as would have been a teenager when it originally came out and we saw it at the cinema. I don't recall...

A joke about Pakistanis in corner shops
Mrs Doubtfire flipping off Pierce Brosnan
Various casual swearing
A scene where Mrs Doubtfire is doing various phrases for sex acts

Was this all in the original version?? I note that the film is now a 12A which didn't exist at the time.

I also presume that when they show it on a Saturday afternoon, they must cut all these things out.

Likewise The Goonies. I remember it as a kids film, when I saw it at the cinema recently, all they did was swear.

I guess I was too young for the Goonies at the cinema, so would only have seen a badly cut version (I know this is the case).

Am I simply remembering them wrong?

Or do they cut these things out to get a PG rating?
I believe that this is the “original” version
Read a story recently however that a very non family friendly version of the film exists as Robin Williams was “rewarded” for his performance by also being allowed to do many scenes and takes of his choosing

I do think thought that those of us of an age just didn’t get some of the humour. Kinda like watching some of the Pixar movies as adults and laughing at jokes out kids never would get
Old 14-04-2021, 21:30   #22
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

It was always “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me” now it’s “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will offend me so much I will complain to the press and cry about it until everything funny gets banned!” 😂
Thanked once by:
Goooner1 (15-04-2021)
Old 14-04-2021, 21:32   #23
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodBlessTheUSA View Post
It was always “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me”
That might be true, but it's not that people were "more resilient" back then, it's that they were more tolerant of morons like you.

That tolerance has run out. And quite rightly so.
Old 14-04-2021, 22:04   #24
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post
That might be true, but it's not that people were "more resilient" back then, it's that they were more tolerant of morons like you.

Actually, it’s because we didn’t give a flying **** back then! We’d all call each other spastics, retards and gaylords, yet everyone would laugh about it and go on with our lives!

How dare you call me a moron, I am so offended I’m going to report you to the police and complain about you to the press... 😂😂😂
Old 14-04-2021, 23:56   #25
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post

It's gone further the other way though, hasn't it?
Nowadays people are offended on other people's behalf, which is is ridiculous, and the baying twitter mobs hound those that didn't actually say something offensive in the first place, which is just as toxic as things were in the "good old days".

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanked once by:
Goooner1 (15-04-2021)
Old 15-04-2021, 05:54   #26
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Actually, it’s because we didn’t give a flying **** back then! We’d all call each other spastics, retards and gaylords, yet everyone would laugh about it and go on with our lives!

How dare you call me a moron, I am so offended I’m going to report you to the police and complain about you to the press... 😂😂😂
As someone who grew up with a cousin, just days younger than myself, who was “spastic” I can assure you we would not all laugh about that term.
Old 15-04-2021, 06:47   #27
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I think this had probably got a bit out of hand.

Let’s not use these terms as they do offend people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanked 6 times by:
AndyWilson (15-04-2021), Arthur Fowler (15-04-2021), Boink! (15-04-2021), dunkle (15-04-2021), GregB (15-04-2021), Wooglie (15-04-2021)
Old 15-04-2021, 07:11   #28
dunkle
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post
Read a story recently however that a very non family friendly version of the film exists as Robin Williams was “rewarded” for his performance by also being allowed to do many scenes and takes of his choosing

I do think thought that those of us of an age just didn’t get some of the humour. Kinda like watching some of the Pixar movies as adults and laughing at jokes out kids never would get
https://www.thewrap.com/mrs-doubtfir...hris-columbus/

The article
Old 15-04-2021, 07:30   #29
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:

I called someone a "spastic" when I was younger because I thought it was funny. Turns out the person had a brother who had cerebral palsy who had recently died, something that had devastated his entire family. I honestly thought he was going to beat me to death given how upset he was. I've never felt so ashamed of myself in my life. Should he have just laughed it off and got on with his life?
Thanked 8 times by:
Arthur Fowler (15-04-2021), driver8 (15-04-2021), GregB (15-04-2021), Mevlock (15-04-2021), nutter45 (15-04-2021), scoobyood (16-04-2021), Tob (20-04-2021), Wooglie (15-04-2021)
Old 15-04-2021, 09:17   #30
Woz
Viva indifference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
I called someone a "spastic" when I was younger because I thought it was funny. Turns out the person had a brother who had cerebral palsy who had recently died, something that had devastated his entire family. I honestly thought he was going to beat me to death given how upset he was. I've never felt so ashamed of myself in my life. Should he have just laughed it off and got on with his life?
I was at school during the Joey Deacon years and still shudder at how cruel kids can be about someone who I now know was quite incredible.
Old 15-04-2021, 10:03   #31
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

I'd never call anyone a name like that now as there are too many people that would get all offended and butthurt over it, I still don't know what I'm meant to do if I want to go into a food shop to buy some faggots, I'd probably be murdered by a lynch mob! ��
Old 15-04-2021, 10:14   #32
GregB
Trusted User

Thanked 1,073 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woz View Post
I was at school during the Joey Deacon years and still shudder at how cruel kids can be about someone who I now know was quite incredible.

There is a real problem people who seem to think that because they got away with being aresholes when they were young that they can get away with it now.
Old 15-04-2021, 10:37   #33
MaxNutter

Kids are arseholes, unfortunately not everyone grows out of it

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thanked once by:
GregB (15-04-2021)
Old 15-04-2021, 11:16   #34
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkle View Post

Every time I have watched Mrs Doubtfire ( TV and DVD ) it has always had the bit where she flips the finger at Brosnan ( right after throwing the apple ) but I don't remember the other stuff.

I will have to rewatch it now to check
Old 15-04-2021, 11:20   #35
statto
Jedi Master

A lot of the language here is fairly charged but it should be remembered that language changes over time and it's absolutely ridiculous to judge films from the '80s and '90s through the prism of what is considered acceptable today. Scope was actually called The Spastics Society until the mid 1990s so clearly the intent of the person speaking has to be taken into consideration rather than simply condemning a word. Similarly we've seen a progression from half-caste to mixed-race to dual-heritage over a relatively short period of time.

It's the ridiculous over-reaction to this kind of thing that has Disney putting warnings on The Muppet Show.
Thanked once by:
Goooner1 (16-04-2021)
Old 15-04-2021, 11:35   #36
bumfrog
bum of the highest order

Quote:
I'd never call anyone a name like that now as there are too many people that would get all offended and butthurt over it, I still don't know what I'm meant to do if I want to go into a food shop to buy some faggots, I'd probably be murdered by a lynch mob! ��
Old 15-04-2021, 12:03   #37
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,292 Posts
Quote:
I'd never call anyone a name like that now ... I still don't know what I'm meant to do ...
Let me guess ... you're also scared to give the receptionist at work a playful slap on the arse in case she cries rape ... ?
Old 15-04-2021, 13:16   #38
GodBlessTheUSA
The Red, White And Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Let me guess ... you're also scared to give the receptionist at work a playful slap on the arse in case she cries rape ... ?
A girl I worked with a few years ago ended up with the nickname 'Cum Bucket' she didn't have a problem with it and referred to herself as that all the time, she would also slap our arses and we would slap her funbags... no one ever complained or got offended by that... it was playful fun and banter and everyone remains friends to this day!

But these days you can't even smile at someone without them claiming sexual harassment.
Old 15-04-2021, 13:35   #39
MaxNutter

Quote:
A girl I worked with a few years ago ended up with the nickname 'Cum Bucket' she didn't have a problem with it and referred to herself as that all the time, she would also slap our arses and we would slap her funbags... no one ever complained or got offended by that... it was playful fun and banter and everyone remains friends to this day!

But these days you can't even smile at someone without them claiming sexual harassment.
Where did you work, the Luxton and District Motor Traction Company?
Old 15-04-2021, 16:31   #40
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,131 Times in 481 Posts
Quote:

I don't think you can call the 60s a few years ago.
Closed Thread