Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 20-02-2021, 22:15   #1
eye__writ
Trusted User

Wrong Turn (2021)

They've gone and rebooted what was a reasonably effective entry in the early 2000s slasher/backwoods horror genre and gosh darn it if they haven't done a pretty good job of it.

While the set-up remains the same, with a group of college kids vacationing in rural America, in this case on the Appalachian Trail, the story goes different places this time around.

I really enjoyed this take on the Wrong Turn story, with a good variety of backwater hicks, mountain men, douchebag yuppy kids and the great outdoors. It doesn't tread the exact same ground of "inbred family in the woods murder and eat aforementioned young adults" and while it still has its fair share of stupid, the plot is enjoyable and cohesive enough to serve the purpose of propping things up while the filmmakers get on with terrorising the protagonists.

It doesn't disappoint on the gnarly injury detail either, with various traps, arrow wounds and bludgeonings showing enough wet bloodiness to be wince inducing, without lingering too long and reducing the impact. Overall it's just a very well made genre film, which is a nice change after watching stuff like Jeepers Creepers 3 recently.

Oh, and I actually really liked the ending, which can often be when the ball gets dropped.

Old 20-02-2021, 22:34   #2
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Sounds interesting. Really struggling to find decent horror movies on streaming.

Is this on Netflix?
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 22:41   #3
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler View Post
Sounds interesting. Really struggling to find decent horror movies on streaming.

Is this on Netflix?
It is not sadly.

It's had a really weird release schedule, which is a shame for a decent horror title. It's on bluray for now and I think premium streaming services (ie. not included in your subscription) next week.
Arthur Fowler (20-02-2021)
Old 21-02-2021, 12:47   #4
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
My review from the Last 3 Films thread. I'm not quite as enthusiastic as you. :

Wrong Turn (2021)
The writer of the original Wrong Turn reboots the franchise that started well but got cheaper & more irritating as it went on. This time round, inbred cannibal hillbillies are out, replaced by an isolated civilisation that's been living in the mountains for centuries. When three hipster couples walking the Appalachian Trail ignore the warnings of the locals to stick to the path & decide to wander into the woods, things do not go well.

It's well made & generally well acted, but nothing that happens makes any sense if you think about it for more than a minute & the gore is oddly inconsistent, like they were only allowed to show a certain amount of blood & decided to spread it out across the movie rather than show it when it was warranted. Matthew Modine attempts to add a bit of class to the proceedings as a dad looking for his lost daughter, but even he couldn't stop me from shouting at the screen every ten minutes. Oh, & the potentially most interesting bit of the whole film takes place in a long shot under the end credits. WTF? Stupid, illogical, irritating, pointless.

ps. Bonus stupid points for the leader of the antagonists' look & hair - while his entire tribe is filthy & has rough, stringy birdnests on their heads, he looks like he's just been to the spa & had his hair & beard done by Vidal Sassoon that morning.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 14:33   #5
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Got to agree with aprout on this one.

Also the backwards community were nowhere near as fun or horrifying as the hillbilly mutants from the originals. Every time their leader spoke I kept expecting him to say "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!"
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 14:28   #6
oldskool
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
Every time their leader spoke I kept expecting him to say "Skyrim belongs to the Nords!"
Well....Skyrim does belong to the nords.

Also points for the "wokeism" of the hipster kids...we had

interracial gay couple
heroic black lad with white girlfriend
highly intelligent girl who is able to stick it to the man with her intelligence
douchebag white guy

It's like they had a box ticking exercise in the writing room

All in all, I was not a fan of the entire movie.....as you say, it wasn't fun...not much in the way of horror, much preferred the original back woods cannibals ....the only bit that I thought was slightly creepy was the

oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 16:08   #7
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Well....Skyrim does belong to the nords.

Also points for the "wokeism" of the hipster kids...we had

interracial gay couple
heroic black lad with white girlfriend
highly intelligent girl who is able to stick it to the man with her intelligence
douchebag white guy

It's like they had a box ticking exercise in the writing room
They killed a gay guy quite horribly though, so I guess they gave you one moment to cheer.
Old 10-03-2021, 22:08   #8
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
Got to agree with aprout on this one.
I've got to disagree with aprout on this... well a little bit anyway, I think referring to this a "well made" is actually being very generous!

It's just another empty collection of dumbass stereotypes that are not even remotely fleshed out (sans the lead character) despite the blatant virtue signalling inviting people to root for the cast, placed into the flimsiest of scenarios with no style, no panache, just flatly told in the most unimaginative way possible. The writer Alan McElroy is clearly more pleased about the subversion of expectations that goes on in the final act than he should be (I mean seriously, who the **** was he fooling? Look at the characters he's assembled and lead into the slaughter ffs!) and Mike Nelson only demonstrates any kind of filmmaking instinct during the final shot of the movie. This occurs after approximately 110mins of absolute tedium.

It says a lot that I had the choice of watching this or Monster Hunter tonight and am now regretting that I went for this as the "safer bet" based on the creation of this thread!

Last edited by Shingster; 10-03-2021 at 22:12.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote