Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Mobile Phone and Satellite Navigation Forum

Old 28-01-2021, 00:37   #1
eye__writ
Trusted User

Any Good Mobiles Available?

Why are there so many **** mobile phones on the market?

I've had the same Nokia 8 since 2017 and there's chuff all available to replace it that's of any interest.

Google Pixel is *****. iPhone has a ridiculous notch. OnePlus is plastic garbage. Samsung Galaxy is Samsung, so automatically *****.

Am I missing anything excellent?
Old 28-01-2021, 06:13   #2
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
My next phone will be the Xioami Mi 11, assuming it isn't a daft price when it's released globally.

They have a lot of well priced high specced phones in their range.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 07:04   #3
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,951 Times in 1,281 Posts
I recently went from my OnePlus-3 (2016) which was excellent for 4.5 years (till it died; it had a metal body) to a Redmi Note 9S (6GB/128GB) which is good value for money.

Upcoming phones: The future smartphones of 2021

Phones at CES 2021: Rollable phones, Moto G series and more ahead of Samsung S21
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 08:04   #4
The Bear

Also it depends on your budget and what spec/features you must have. 5G? Wireless charging? OLED screen?

gsmarena has a good advanced Phone Finder search that let's you filter all that stuff to find ones which suit.

https://m.gsmarena.com/search.php3?
Old 28-01-2021, 08:15   #5
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Thanked 1,643 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye__writ View Post

Google Pixel is *****.
Is it?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
scoobyood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 12:46   #6
Mick Jones
Trusted User

Quote:
Google Pixel is *****.
Really? How do you know? My Pixel 4a 5G doesn't seem ***** to me, or to most of the reviewers.
Mick Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 12:59   #7
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,114 Times in 476 Posts
I have a OnePlus Nord which I think is great. I'm not sure what the problem with plastic is, I would have thought metal would interfere with signals more.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:09   #8
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Came from a Galaxy S8 to a Pixel 5.

- Basically 2 day battery. Have had amazing 10 hours of screen on time.
- Fast, don't give a stuff that's a '765G processor' or whatever. I don't play games. Everything loads immediately.
- Camera hardware hasn't been updated for a few years, but there's an ultra-wide. However software processing still keeps the photos up there with £1500 Samsungs and Apple's. I don't have a Pixel 3 or 4.. so I'm not 'missing out' that they've not changed from that hardware.
- Has been bulletproof reliable, native Android OS with no extra crap. I wouldn't touch a cheapo Chinese brand these days most seem to have terrible photo processing and lack of long term OS security updates.
- Screen has small hole-punch for the camera.. but it's flat! no curved edges thank god. And its 90hz.
- Cheaper price than other 'flagship' prospects... got a free set of Bose headphones, and some google credits and whatnot.
- It might be plastic, but it's actually quite nice in the hand, feels grippy and you know it won't shatter if you drop it.. and there's a metal frame in there so it's not going to flex or bend.
- Fingerprint reader on the back where it belongs. I had a Nexus 6P before the S8.. so am very comfortable with it being back there.
- 5G ready.. don't much care at the moment as perpetually on the wifi at the moment!
- Wireless and reverse wireless charging.. which is nice. My google pay credit from the phone saved me money on a charging dock...
- Nice Google software features, recording history of songs it hears. Records walking steps tracked as well as a fitbit for me.
- No gimmicky crap like face unlock or on the front to wave your hand around. Glad they removed that since the Pixel 4.. load of rubbish.

Best phone I've ever had and hopefully will easily last me at least 3 years like the S8 did.

Last edited by scoobyood; 28-01-2021 at 13:16.
Old 28-01-2021, 13:17   #9
cliff homewood
Trusted User

I am on xioami redmi 6.

Have not been impressed with phones for a fair few years now. Yes they are great as having a mini computer in your pocket, havent used my PC for years now.

However the primary purpose of a phone should be as a phone and here the bloat often gets in the way. Have a phone call comnig in and cant get the phone part of the mobile to the fore to answer it, its decided to hide away somewhere. Or its there on my screen but is not detecting my finger swiping up (the environment might be a factor here like rain).
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 13:35   #10
Boink!
2021 is the new 2020

Thanked 4,261 Times in 1,407 Posts
Also hated bloatware on mobiles (especially you, Samsung) so got a Pixel 3a XL about 18 months ago and it's a fab phone for the money. My other half bought the Pixel 4a on Black Friday and she loves it.

EDIT: Obviously, my requirements for a phone may differ greatly to yours.
Boink! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 15:06   #11
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Is it?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jones View Post
Really? How do you know? My Pixel 4a 5G doesn't seem ***** to me, or to most of the reviewers.

Haha, I might have been a little reductive in my summary.

I bought the Pixel 4a on Black Friday and sent it back a few days later. While it's not an expensive handset I was still surprised at how low quality the plastics they've used felt. The vibration was tuned to be super whiny as well which again made it feel cheap. I had a look at some forums and there's plenty of people who say the same about the vibration, so it wasn't a faulty handset.

Also didn't get along with Android 11 which seems to have reduced the customisability. There was a weather and date widget on the home screen that wasn't removable for instance.

Overall it just seems to get great reviews because of the amazing camera performance but I'm not interested in that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
I have a OnePlus Nord which I think is great. I'm not sure what the problem with plastic is, I would have thought metal would interfere with signals more.
I'm not against plastic completely, so long as it feels solid and not cheap. The OnePlus Nord was high on my list of options but I guess watching it fail Jerry Rig's durability test has biased me against it. But at least it's glass on the back, so should still feel premium in the hand, unlike the Pixel 4a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Also it depends on your budget and what spec/features you must have. 5G? Wireless charging? OLED screen?

gsmarena has a good advanced Phone Finder search that let's you filter all that stuff to find ones which suit.
I really like GSMarena - I've been visiting there for years and had a look through the latest offerings last night, which pretty much prompted this post

My budget's pretty flexible but wouldn't want to be spending Galaxy flagship money. Anything up to £600 would be doable for a perfect option but closer to £400 would be better.

I'm not interested in 5G as it feels like that technology isn't all the way there yet and won't be for a few years yet. AMOLED would be nice and a smaller screen - although that's a rare option these days.
Old 28-01-2021, 15:27   #12
scoobyood
Tony Danza

Quote:

I bought the Pixel 4a on Black Friday and sent it back a few days later. While it's not an expensive handset I was still surprised at how low quality the plastics they've used felt. The vibration was tuned to be super whiny as well which again made it feel cheap.
Pixel 5 =/= Pixel 4a
Old 28-01-2021, 16:06   #13
Wooglie
Rurouni

Quote:
I'm not against plastic completely, so long as it feels solid and not cheap. The OnePlus Nord was high on my list of options but I guess watching it fail Jerry Rig's durability test has biased me against it. But at least it's glass on the back, so should still feel premium in the hand, unlike the Pixel 4a.
I've always had my phones in a case, but that's to help against dropping them. I'm not sure how I could bend one like that. Mine feels very solid both in and out of the case.
Old 28-01-2021, 18:35   #14
Arthur Fowler
Trusted User

Quote:

I bought the Pixel 4a on Black Friday and sent it back.....

Overall it just seems to get great reviews because of the amazing camera performance but I'm not interested in that.

Oddly, my reason for not upgrading to a Pixel 4 or 5 is because of the relative weakness of the camera!
Arthur Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 18:43   #15
The Bear

LG Velvet?

https://m.gsmarena.com/lg_velvet_5g-10209.php
Old 28-01-2021, 22:48   #16
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobyood View Post
Pixel 5 =/= Pixel 4a
I've not handled the 5 so don't know. The 4a experience has put me off.

Shame I can't get into a Carphone Warehouse to give it a fiddle at the moment. As a former Google Nexus devotee I'd really like a Google handset, for the swift updates alone. But the Pixel range has never appealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Looks nice, but far too big at nearly 7-inches. My current Nokia is only 5.3"

Quote:
I've always had my phones in a case, but that's to help against dropping them. I'm not sure how I could bend one like that. Mine feels very solid both in and out of the case.
I think it's a test to imitate sitting on it but I never keep my phone in my back pocket and if I sat on it on the couch I doubt you'd see the same forces applied.

Definitely an irrational fear on my part.

How do you like yours overall? OxygenOS nice and clean? How's the support from OnePlus for security updates and whatnot?

Last edited by eye__writ; 28-01-2021 at 22:53.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 22:52   #17
overide
Trusted User

Quote:
Very happy with my Nord as well
overide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 00:00   #18
Wooglie
Rurouni

Quote:
How do you like yours overall? OxygenOS nice and clean? How's the support from OnePlus for security updates and whatnot?
OS is nice and clean although I went from a OnePlus 3T, so I might be biased. I've mostly had OnePlus or Google phones over the years for that reason. There have been frequent updates since I got it. According to my phone I'm on Android Security Patch 2020.12.
Old 29-01-2021, 06:10   #19
The Bear

You're going to struggle to get anything recent with the screen under 6.5 inches.

The Samsung S7 fits your bill but that was released in 2016.
Old 29-01-2021, 09:30   #20
Xeon007
Trusted User

iPhone SE?
Xeon007 is offline   Reply With Quote