Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 14-12-2020, 18:10   #21
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

I watch quite a lot of films in 3D and find most are fairly decent even the average ones usually have a few pop out the screen moments. Animation lends itself better to 3D but Oz The Great and Powerful was really good in 3D (more for giving the film image more depth). Will be giving the Wizard of Oz 3D version a watch soon (been reviewed to be the definitive and best way of watching it now).

I do think the 3D effect is compounded further the bigger the screen you have (can't imagine it's all that good on an average size PC monitor). 55 inch minimum.
jmdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 23:50   #22
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,065 Times in 626 Posts
Might we feel that 3D whilst arguably either dead or struggling for breath right now.
May, indeed dare I say will come back once things like VR and AR become a practical and viable reality.

I cannot see a future where either or both VR and AR does not exist.
My views are, even if you don't want these things, like mobile/smart phones a point will come in time that even the least tech person will simply feel they need to get it as everyone else has.

And not for games only, but simply day to day stuff and information being overlaid onto the real world to replace your phone of today.

Your eyes naturally receiving individual images so 3D will simply be the standard.
Perhaps this could reinvigorate the concept of movies in 3D once more?

And yes, I'm wildly guessing 20 - 30 years from now.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 11:39   #23
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
I'm not sure there won't always be a place for some regular movies. Isn't the joy of the movies is you sit on a comfy chair, get a bucket of popcorn and do nothing else? Even sitting with uncomfortable glasses on was a bit too far.

Does your average person really want to spend the evening turning their head, walking around, waving their arms.

Really not sure I could ever be faffed with something like in Ready Player One. I'd have thought the fact that it is very easy and you can sit is the reason TV and movies are universally popular.
jockosjungle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 11:54   #24
Tempest
Trusted User

^ Oh yeah, totally agree. we're not there yet for 99.9% of people.
It's going to take glasses, or contacts that are so close to normal glasses worn by millions now before it's just typical stuff you wear every day.
Even old grannies now, who never touched a computer for the vast majority of their lives are using a smartphone now to talk to family.
It's taken, what, 15 years for this to happen from it being a nerdy thing to unusual not to have one.

May be wrong, but pretty sure, given enough time AR will be the same.

Things to yet be solved

Physical Size
User Interface
Battery Life
Display
Computing power

No reason to think with enough time and money thrown at these points, they will not be solved over the next, what shall we say? 15 - 30 years?
Like the iPhone 1 or pre-iPhone phones (Palm Treo) it's going to be basic at 1st.

IMHO they need something to replace the phone, and AR is already being tested out on phones.

The prospect is interesting.
Wearing glasses, look at a stranger, is used face recognition and puts a floating box over their head with the name, age etc instantly
Looking at shops and see AR signs outside.
Dots/Arrows on the ground in front of you leading you to where you want to go.

And when 50% of people have them, everyone else will be feeling left out so they will want them do

Of course, I'm sure we all hope it would not turn into the visual nightmare as depicted in this video below of such a future with AR

Old 30-12-2020, 11:57   #25
basegreen
neergesab

VR when it's almost as good as your normal vision will be very very successful.

There's controllerless hand recognition now in the Quest 2 and it feels amazing somehow.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 12:43   #26
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
VR when it's almost as good as your normal vision will be very very successful.

There's controllerless hand recognition now in the Quest 2 and it feels amazing somehow.
Indeed.
Ideally of course, we'll bypass the eye's altogether, and send electrical signals direct into your back of your brain (which is sitting in a dark box we call your skull) and magically? creates vision for us from these signals.

Still think that's mind-blowing that it feels like your eyes are like windows in a house letting in light, and yet, it's just signals coming into a sealed case.

Anyway..... That's a bit further off.
Perhaps a long distant version of Neuralink?

IMHO as much as I hate to say so, I'm pretty sure it's going to be Apple that makes a pair that (due to fan-boy-ish) get's more established than anything yet seen.
And that will actually set the basis for others to copy and hence we'll then be at the very very start of it actually making it into mainstream.

From the little I've heard Apple are working on 2 versions.
The 1st we shall see will be a very basic thing, I assume notifications and health info? and wild guess will need the iPhone to supply to processing power to the glasses wirelessly.

A bit like Gen 1 Apple Watch.
Old 04-01-2021, 13:56   #27
cliff homewood
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
^ Oh yeah, totally agree. we're not there yet for 99.9% of people.
It's going to take glasses, or contacts that are so close to normal glasses worn by millions now before it's just typical stuff you wear every day.
Even old grannies now, who never touched a computer for the vast majority of their lives are using a smartphone now to talk to family.
It's taken, what, 15 years for this to happen from it being a nerdy thing to unusual not to have one.

May be wrong, but pretty sure, given enough time AR will be the same.

Things to yet be solved

Physical Size
User Interface
Battery Life
Display
Computing power

No reason to think with enough time and money thrown at these points, they will not be solved over the next, what shall we say? 15 - 30 years?
Like the iPhone 1 or pre-iPhone phones (Palm Treo) it's going to be basic at 1st.

IMHO they need something to replace the phone, and AR is already being tested out on phones.

The prospect is interesting.
Wearing glasses, look at a stranger, is used face recognition and puts a floating box over their head with the name, age etc instantly
Looking at shops and see AR signs outside.
Dots/Arrows on the ground in front of you leading you to where you want to go.

And when 50% of people have them, everyone else will be feeling left out so they will want them do

Of course, I'm sure we all hope it would not turn into the visual nightmare as depicted in this video below of such a future with AR

Liked the video, reminds me of Zero Theorem, a Terry Gilliam movie set in such a future (although not quite as bad)
cliff homewood is offline   Reply With Quote