Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 01-01-2021, 16:15   #21
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
Personally I find using Karen as an insult a pretty offensive stereotype. Sexist and agist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it's just an easy term to use which people understand depicts a certain type of person.
I think there is a male term for someone of the opposite gender with a similar outlook.

Oddly enough it was a term I did not know till reasonably recently, and yet I work with someone called Karen, and Wow, it really does sum her up to a tee.
Oddly enough

Whatever these people are referred to, I wish society would officially decide to ignore them.
We all know things in the past were bad in certain areas, people treated badly etc, but it's swung so far the other way now it's crazy.
Now you can't have your hair done a certain way as there are people who say you are misappropriating their culture.

==================

Just to add, and no personal offence here
It's this exactly the problem?

You have chosen, yourself, to find the term Karen as offensive.
Ok, that's fine. But that's up to you and should not affect anyone else.

I as an individual can find something else offensive, but that does not mean others have to bow to my personal viewpoint.

Last edited by Tempest; 01-01-2021 at 16:24.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 16:41   #22
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

I think you've misunderstood the "Karen" stereotype. IMHO the biggest issue we have is the people being offended on behalf of someone else; "Karen" is all about herself.
Old 01-01-2021, 16:47   #23
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I think you've misunderstood the "Karen" stereotype. IMHO the biggest issue we have is the people being offended on behalf of someone else; "Karen" is all about herself.
Perhaps so.
But who care what "I" think ?
If I'm not being physically harmed or Discriminated against in the real world as in denied access to something or some place etc.
That fact "I" decide I don't like something is down to me, and no one else needs to alter their viewpoint to fall into line with my view.

At work I have things I don't like, or hate or think are wrong.
Does anyone take any notice? No.

I think they should, but they have different rules, and nothing is in any law that says my views over-ride their views.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 17:01   #24
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Indeed. One of the biggest issues (and benefits) with the internet is that people can share their thoughts globally. People just need to learn to filter the ****holes and stop looking for this hour's cause to get riled up about. And this discussion really shouldn't be in a film thread .
Old 01-01-2021, 18:07   #25
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45 View Post
Not at all, but this didn't appeal to the kids... or me. I'm currently watching Up, Pixar used to be balm for the soul, the studio has really lost its way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
I concur.

Pixar have lost the spark IMO.

It feels like a film made by committee.
If Inside Out, Toy Story 4 and Soul are Pixar losing their spark then I can't wait to see them when they are back on fire.

Arguably, Up is pretty poor after the wife dies.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 01-01-2021 at 18:08.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ascender (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 21:56   #26
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James45 View Post
Not at all, but this didn't appeal to the kids... or me. I'm currently watching Up, Pixar used to be balm for the soul, the studio has really lost its way.
I don't think they're losing their way, I think they've been in the game for almost 30yrs now and have been churning them out a little in recent years and just need to slow things down and focus a little better. The next Pixar film might turn out to be an instant classic. It's asking a lot of any studio to be consistent over a period of time like that imo, even Studio Ghibli have had dips (and with Isao Takahata gone and Miyazaki doing his hokey-cokey retirement dance, they could be in for more dips should they actually continue on much further as a production studio).

I've also got to agree with Adam that UP really isn't all that great. It's great for 40mins and then it descends into a pretty generic chase film. Pixar's biggest problem these days for me are too many sequels (despite Toy Story 4 being very good, the series absolutely didn't need it) and an over-reliance on over-familiar american narrative tropes.

Last edited by Shingster; 01-01-2021 at 22:10.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 06:40   #27
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,943 Times in 1,280 Posts
I'd say that Pixar were back on top again - I really didn't like Cars1/2/3/Planes* at all, and even the associated shorts were poor. (* OK, not 100% Pixar).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
ascender (03-01-2021)
Old 02-01-2021, 08:02   #28
nutter45
burninator

Quote:
Originally Posted by basegreen View Post
I concur.

Pixar have lost the spark IMO.

It feels like a film made by committee.

Have a read of Creativity, Inc by Ed Catsmull, for a peek into Pixar’s methods. Great book.

Spoiler, strong committee elements.
nutter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:55   #29
basegreen
neergesab

I’ll check it out.

Toy Story 4 was okay, but the rest of the recent output just seems over thought.

Compared to say, monsters inc or Ratatouille.
basegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 14:48   #30
Shingster
Trusted User

They had a good run between 2017-2019 where they did Coco, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4, but that run was bookended by a poor sequel (Cars 3) and a very mundane Dreamworks-esque orignal (Onwards).

To give a little perspective:

Pixar made seven originals in the noughties: Monsters, Inc, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Cars, Ratatouille. WALL-E, and Up.
They made ZERO sequels this decade

In the following decade they made four originals: Brave, Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Coco.
But they made SEVEN sequels: Toy Story 3, Cars 2, Monsters University, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Incredibles 2, and Toy Story 4

So far this decade they've already and only made two originals: Onwards and Soul

Now, looking at that IMO they started to run out of steam when they became over-reliant on making sequels, their orginals dropped off and they went from a studio that consistently created great films to a studio that consistently made good films.

The optimistic news is that I don't think they can mantain the insane rate of sequels they chruned out in the twenty-tens so we'll see more originals from them and IMO a greater potential for future classics, but if we absolutely brutal/honest about the truly great Pixar films, how many have they made in the last 10yrs that weren't Toy Story sequels? Inside Out? Coco? either way though, IMO even their weakest films like a Cars 3 is better than 90% of the soulless gag-fest cutesy animal-centric animated works that Dreamworks churns out.

Last edited by Shingster; 02-01-2021 at 14:50.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
ascender (03-01-2021), driver8 (02-01-2021)