Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 18-10-2020, 19:35   #121
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Lazy Sunday post-apocalyptic 80's double bill...

#28 - Night of the Comet (1984)
The world celebrates the passing of a long awaited comet. Unfortunately everyone in direct sight of it gets turned to dust and those partially exposed become rage zombies. Two Valley girls and Star Trek Voyager's Chakotay survive and have to fight the cannibals, sinister scientists & varied losers that want to harsh their mellow. Another classic I used to watch repeatedly on VHS as a child. It's camp, low budget, last (wo)man on earth type, neon-tinged fantasy fun. Lots of familiar genre faces including Geoffrey Lewis and Mary Woronov. It drags a bit in the latter half but this one really captured my imagination back in the day and anything that can bring a nostalgic smile to my miserable mug in these end days of civilization can be forgiven for a little padding. Not the Girls Just Wanna Have Fun mall makeover montage of course, that was integral to the structure of the flick

#29 - DEFCON-4 (1985)
Nukes fly as WWIII breaks out while a 3 man crew aboard an orbiting space station watch in horror. 50 days later they crash back down to Earth only to find a desperate radiation sickened populace reverting to cannibalism and poor hygiene. Now this I hadn't seen since maybe the early 90's but it stuck with me as a semi-scary thriller. I now find it to be a sleazy, darkly funny, Canuxploitation, wannabe Mad Max cash-in/parody - so yeah I'm still loving it! Maury Chaykin steals the show as Vinny Mackinnon: a kilt wearing, porridge eating, tank driving nutjob with a schoolgirl locked in his basement. Astonishing how well this works despite it's obvious budget limitations and cast of nobodies freezing their asses off in Nova Scotia. Written/Directed by Paul Donovan who would go on to co-create twisted syfy-sploitation TV series Lexx

Quote:
Vinny points his shotgun at Commander Howe...
Commander Howe: You think you're gonna keep all the food for yourself? My partner's in there and she's not gonna let you in.
Vinny: Who's she?
Commander Howe: She's an astronaut. A doctor.
Vinny: What's she like?
Commander Howe: Errr...she's got brown hair...
Vinny: What kind of areolas does she have? Pink, brown, or red?
Commander Howe: ...red...
Vinny: Pointed or rounded?
Commander Howe: ...pointed...
Vinny: So if uh, say I give you a knife and let you go, you give me two thirds of the food and this woman?
aprout (19-10-2020), captaineyecatch (19-10-2020), eye__writ (18-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 04:29   #122
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

Got round to writing something up from my notes
Very slow/behind this year as I'm struggling to find the time to watch much.

Child’s play 2(1990).

Good guys dolls, really aren’t good guys.

After watching the first film last year I thought I’d try and go through the rest of the Chucky films this year, so started with number 2.

The film starts off not too long after the events of the previous one, where the manufacturers are trying to rebuild Chucky to see what went wrong, and things quickly start to go wrong..
Little Andy has been put into care and when he gets moved to his new foster home the death toll rises rapidly as dear little chucky tries to play with his best friend.

To be honest I found this a little slow for much of the first half, whilst there were some fun deaths it wasn’t until the last act that things really got going and the deaths got more imaginative.
The effects were pretty good and Chucky was suitably impressive, especially towards the end when the factory deaths started up.

Child’s Play 3 (1991).

Fast forward 6 years from the events of the second film and the factory is back in action after a bunch of legal issues and they’ve decided to restart production of the Good Guys line by melting down all the old dolls and parts they had no matter how mangled for raw materials to make the new ones, and guess who is first off the production line.

Andy is now a young adult who is sent to a military school where the authorities hope he’ll forget about his fantasies involving Chucky and grow up.

The main characters are fairly stereotypical for 80/s and 90’s films set in/around military establishments, although there is also a barber who keeps pictures of the kids on the wall with locks of their hair (not creepy at all).

It’s a bit of Platoon meets Chucky, enjoyable performances, some “did not see that coming” twists to a couple of deaths and generally mindless fun, murder and mayhem
The third act (again) has the most outright action, this time they’re having fun at the fair.

3:
Bride of Chucky (1998).

Now this one I know I’ve seen in full before, if just because I’ve got the original DVD release, but I don’t think I’ve seen it since then, and my first thought was “how did I forget Jennifer Tilly was that hot” (shallow I know, but I had a big crush on her since Key West when I was younger).

I really like the opening where the evidence locker is full of nods to other horror films (I suspect I missed a lot of references, but caught the obvious ones), Tilly’s Tiffany definitely seemed to have a lot of the better lines and jokes, although the humour in general seemed to be more prominent in this film compared to the previous ones.
The dolls seem to be more articulated than the previous films, although they’ve always been well done.

Seed of Chucky (2004).

They’re back, and multiplying.

This was fun, with a suitably creepy son and Jennifer Tilly was fun as Tiffany/herself and some nice set pieces.

Cult of chucky (2017).

A paralyzed women living with her mother receives an unexpected package that contains a doll

It’s generally more of the same, a throwback to the earlier films I think.
Whilst it was ok it wasn’t really anything particularly special
Nice nod to bride of chucky, and surprise appearance of Jennifer.

As you might notice, at this point I’m burning out a bit of murderous dolls

In the immortal words of the Monty Python announcer, And now for something completely different.

Bram Stokers Dracula (1992).

My first impression was that this looks very theatrical in presentation, and feels somewhat older than it’s 28 years, but that might just be because I’ve been spoiled.

The cast were (as could be expected) pretty good, and it feels very close to what I remember of the book (which I’ve been meaning to read again for years, and even bought the audio book).

Definitely not scary by anything like modern standards, but really well filmed, and whilst some of the visual effects are definitely dated, the sets and creature effects hold up well, and it’s one of the better versions of Dracula I’ve seen.

Halloween (2018).

Having watched the original a couple of years back I decided that as this was on Netflix I’d give it a go (I was going to try and go through the lot, but I couldn’t see a blu-ray set cheap and didn’t want to have to sub to another service).

Laurie Strode after her previous encounters with Michael Myers is now living alone in a fortified house, whilst Michael is in a secure institute with the biggest comedy weight on the chess board, when two journalists decide to visit him for their story, complete with mask in their car, and get shown around by a creepy doctor. What could go wrong.

zombieavers (2014).

2 careless delivery men lose a barrel of something into a lake when they hit Bambi, with unexpected results (who am I kidding, we’ve all seen Return of the Living Dead) when a bunch of teens go to the lake for some fun and games.

First impressions, low budget teen movie with the beaver puppets looking slightly less realistic than the gophers in Caddy Shack, and whilst I can’t remember watching it before, I’m sure I’ve seen it.
As it goes on it gets a bit better with a few laughs, and it works well for what it is, but it’s not exactly a massively scary, or funny film, and the best effects are probably some of the later injuries.

Overall it’s fun, but utterly silly, and reminds me one day I need to watch try and watch Zombie Ass toilet of the dead.

Zombie Night (2013).

A film whose horror credentials are apparent from the moment you see “A SyFi Film” and feel that chill go down your spine, but I was [s]foolish[/s] brave enough to push on.

This is one of those films that I know nothing about, but bought on a whim from poundland a few years back (a few of them have turned out ok…), and it’s been sat in a box ever since.

A father, her Daughter and her friend are driving home when they get caught up in traffic at an accident and there is a call, but something’s not right with the dead body in the road…

Not exactly off to an original start, and it doesn’t seem to get much better, it’s like someone went through TV tropes for every overused Zombie set scene and character and threw them together.
I think the last film I saw that I’d bought as was this bad was Spring Breakers – and this didn’t even come in a double blu-ray case I could reuse.

I’m going to try for a palate cleanser tonight and go with the new Babysitter sequel on Netflix, the first one was really fun so hopefully it’ll make up for this one.

I'm also going to try and catch The Happiness of the Katikuris (2001) this week, as I bought the Blu-ray a year or more back, but haven't got round to it and I remember it being quite a funny/odd comedy horror from when it was on the Sci-Fi channel back in around 2002.
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 8 times by:
aprout (19-10-2020), captaineyecatch (20-10-2020), driver8 (20-10-2020), eye__writ (19-10-2020), GPR79 (19-10-2020), Jon B (07-11-2020), sleep4ever (24-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 08:07   #123
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
#28 - Night of the Comet (1984)
Another classic I used to watch repeatedly on VHS as a child.
My VHS came courtesy of Moviedrome on BBC2

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (19-10-2020), GPR79 (19-10-2020), KeyserSoze (19-10-2020), sleep4ever (24-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 09:17   #124
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Man I loved Moviedrome. Discovered all sorts of weird & wonderful flicks.

Is GPR79 the Alex Cox of the forums?
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (19-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 10:14   #125
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
#26 - Love and Monsters (2020)
7 years after the monsterpocalypse only 5% of the earth's population remains and they're all living underground in bunkers because of the slavering mutant CGI beasts roaming the surface. Young Joel however feels compelled to travel 80 miles to another colony to see his pre-pocalypse girlfriend, a journey made all the more difficult by his tendency to freeze up under pressure. Now this was fun! Plenty of action, humour, a cute Aussie dog, Michael Rooker and minimal YA melodrama. Just found out it was written by Brian Duffield who penned The Babysitter from a few years back, guess he was doing this instead of McG's sequel, here's hoping if they make another of these he'll stay with it. Recommended

Quite enjoyed this myself. From the trailer it looked like a Zombieland clone but ended up enjoying it a lot more than I anticipated. I was kind of hoping that
I would definitely like to see some sequels.

Another worth checking out is The Mortuary Collection. I'm a sucker for horror anthology movies and this one isn't bad (bot nowhere near as good as its RT score of 95% suggests). You can never go wrong with Clancy Brown hamming it up as a spooky undertaker.
joconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (19-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 11:09   #126
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaineyecatch View Post
After Doom asylum watch The Chill factor if you can, again no idea about the film but the title has a pentagram squeezed in so must be great
Got about 10 mins into this and realised I'd seen it before, on VHS and under a different title back in Halloween 2016: https://forums.thedigitalfix.com/for...6&postcount=24

Also this one slipped thru the cracks, watched it over a week ago, reccie from this thread:

#30 - Vampires vs. the Bronx (2020)
Solid Netflix vampire fun & family friendly with it
captaineyecatch (19-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 11:21   #127
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
My VHS came courtesy of Moviedrome on BBC2

Loved Moviedrome of course, there was a CH4 equivalent as well wasn't there? Don't think I saw Comet on there tho, my VHS was a scruffy, last legs, ex-rental from my uncle's video shop.

Watching Catherine Mary Stewart and an arcade machine in Comet has awakened my annual appetite for that other 80's flick featuring Catherine Mary Stewart and an arcade machine...

November 1st will be Ko-dan Armada day at my house
aprout (19-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 13:14   #128
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

I recall Jonathon Ross doing some entertaining runs of cult films (as well as introducing me to Jackie Chan movies ) on C4 back in the day.

Bud Abbott Lou Costello Meet the Killer Boris Karloff (1949)
When criminal attorney Nicholas Joy is murdered in The Lost Caverns Hotel, bellboy Lou Costello inadvertently finds himself top of a healthy pile of suspects staying in the hotel. Helped by his pal Budd Abbott - the hotel dick, the pair struggle to avoid various murder attempts and frame ups in their bid to uncover the real culprit. Despite the title, Boris Karloff has little to do in this whodunnit but it's another entertaining murder-mystery romp from the pair with plenty of gags throughout.
Quote:
Casey Edwards: Now we've got to find someone who's willing to pay $5000 for that handkerchief.
Freddie Phillips: Now, wait a minute, Casey. Suppose the murderer hasn't got the money?
Casey Edwards: Well then, they're apt to murder you to get it back. Either way, they'll show their hand.
Freddie Phillips: Well, if they murder me, I'm apt to be killed.
Casey Edwards: That's right. But at least you've proven your innocence.
Freddie Phillips: That's true…
Casey Edwards: Sure.
Freddie Phillips: One way or another, I can't lose.
Casey Edwards: That's right.
Freddie Phillips: Ain't I a lucky stiff?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 3 times by:
aprout (21-10-2020), GPR79 (19-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 19:23   #129
GPR79

Quote:
I recall Jonathon Ross doing some entertaining runs of cult films (as well as introducing me to Jackie Chan movies ) on C4 back in the day.
I remember the Jackie Chan one and Armour of God specifically. I might also be thinking of The Incredibly Strange Film Show which he presented...

#31 - TerrorVision (1986)
An affluent California family installs a massive hi-tech satellite dish that malfunctions and connects their TV's to the mutant disposal department of the planet Pluton which has just flushed a large amorphous creature down the digital highway. I hadn't seen or thought about this one in decades until a mate mentioned it recently. It's 80's Charles Band via writer/director Ted (Subspecies) Nicolaou so a little rubber and slime was to be expected but this gloriously bizarre sci-fi/horror/comedy mash-up takes even their usual schtick up a notch. It's like an episode of Married With Children if the writer's were smoking crack while suffering from septic shock psychosis. All filmed on a colorful, beautiful sound stage (in Italy, same place they filmed From Beyond I'm guessing) which gives the whole thing a unique surreal stagey sitcom feeling. The characters are uniformly peculiar and OTT from the pervy swinger parents (Gerrit Graham & Mary Woronov) to their live-in war vet gun nut grandpa, teenage punk daughter and all american blonde pre-pubescent son. The humour can be a little hit and miss but I laughed plenty especially at the sordid antics of the parents and their hideous decor; including dodgy deviant paintings in every room of the house that nobody seems to notice! Some great one liners as well. Highly recommended

aprout (21-10-2020), captaineyecatch (20-10-2020), eye__writ (19-10-2020), Jon B (07-11-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020)
Old 19-10-2020, 19:26   #130
eye__writ
Trusted User

Not something I've watched this month but a recommendation would be the TV series Slasher on Netflix.

It takes the American Horror Story format of having the same actors play different roles across multiple seasons but with hugely gory murders rolled into each episode for good measure.

With it being Canadian I'd assumed it would be too safe but it's properly violent and impressive in between the slightly boring main storylines.

I got through all 3 seasons in a week though, so well worth a watch.

Last edited by eye__writ; 19-10-2020 at 19:28.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
captaineyecatch (20-10-2020), GPR79 (20-10-2020), WeaselFierce (19-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 13:10   #131
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Ready or Not (2019)
Catching up on some of last years' recommendations . Samara Weaving's wedding night turns out not to be the fun and games she envisaged when she becomes the victim in the family's hide and seek to the death ritual. An entertaining mix of gothic horror stylings with a lavish dollop of darkly comic splatter. Weaving once again steals the show with her charm and personality. Adam Brody is also very good as the **** up brother-in-law and it's nice to see Andie MacDowell again. I feel the need to watch Groundhog day…
Quote:
Grace: What the **** is wrong with you, you ******* asshole piece of **** little tiny dick licker ******* asshole ******* die!
On the subject of Weaving, has anyone seen the TV miniseries remake of Picnic at Hanging Rock she was in a couple of years ago, and is it worth checking out?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (20-10-2020), captaineyecatch (20-10-2020), GPR79 (20-10-2020), werewolf (20-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 13:29   #132
GPR79

Quote:
On the subject of Weaving, has anyone seen the TV miniseries remake of Picnic at Hanging Rock she was in a couple of years ago, and is it worth checking out?
I liked it, but it was marmite [or should that be vegemite] in that people I talked to either loved it or hated it. If you're familiar with the original film (and enjoyed it) then the pace and mystery of this TV version shouldn't bother you at all. I think this was one of those Stan originals? Like the Wolf Creek mini-series, Romper Stomper continuation, Bloom, The Commons, The Gloaming - some quality stuff comes off that Aussie streaming service.
WeaselFierce (20-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 14:04   #133
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,300 Posts
Wolf Creek ... *shudder* ... I've only seen the first one ... grim and nasty, and right at the limit of my horror/torture tolerance level!
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (20-10-2020), WeaselFierce (20-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 14:42   #134
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
I liked it, but it was marmite [or should that be vegemite] in that people I talked to either loved it or hated it. If you're familiar with the original film (and enjoyed it) then the pace and mystery of this TV version shouldn't bother you at all. I think this was one of those Stan originals? Like the Wolf Creek mini-series, Romper Stomper continuation, Bloom, The Commons, The Gloaming - some quality stuff comes off that Aussie streaming service.
Cheers. Looked up some of the other series you mentioned and they sound interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Wolf Creek ... *shudder* ... I've only seen the first one ... grim and nasty, and right at the limit of my horror/torture tolerance level!
Me too. Although I've heard Wolf Creek 2 and the series have a more blackly comic tone, I still haven't psyched myself to watch them.

Coincidentally, Wolf Creek's Mick (John Jarratt) also starred in the original Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) as well as two of my creature feature watches this year, Dark Age (1987) and Rogue (2007) - also written/directed by Wolf Creek's Greg McLean! It's all connected, man!

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 2 times by:
driver8 (20-10-2020), GPR79 (20-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 15:37   #135
Shingster
Trusted User

The Hanging Rock TV series is good but very different to the film, just don't go in expecting the same kind of slow burn, ominous approach to the material, it's more of a lavish costume drama/character study than a mystery.

Finished Haunting of Bly Manor last night and just like Hill House I thought it was good, but could have been great had they opted to stick to a shorter format of around 6eps, as both seasons have significant pacing issues for me. This series doesn't get going until episode 5, which is pretty unforgivable really, but once it does it's quite an affecting character piece. It's not scary in the slightest though, like not even a teeny bit, cheifly because Mike Flanagan only directs the first episode and then hands things other to a bunch of directors who clearly know **** all about horror. I mean, the show is just completely flat from a visual and atmospheric perspective, they've opted for this weird diffuse filter cinematography that I assume is an attempt to recreate the look of an 80s production, but it just makes the entire thing look like a bland watercolor painting, it is well written though, so that helps make up for the wibbly direction.

I'd never seen or heard of Rahul Kohli before this but I hope he goes on to be a very popular star as he has bags of charisma. He and T'nia Miller are the best of the adult cast and make their roles seem completely effortless, whereas on the oppostie end of that spectrum, leading player Victoria Pedretti's overacting can be extremely annoying at times. Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Amelia Eve, Henry Thomas, and Carla Gugino all deserve to be locked away in bad-accent prison for a five year stretch. I really wish Flanagan would get over his obsession with Thomas, the man's wooden as hell and he keeps getting cast in roles that are clearly too young for him. He's 49 and he bloody looks it!

Last edited by Shingster; 20-10-2020 at 15:53.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Old 20-10-2020, 15:40   #136
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,993 Times in 1,300 Posts
It's weird how the style and context make such a *huge* difference.

I mean, compare similar extreme scenes in:

- Bad Taste/Evil Dead = outrageous and comical (recently, The Boys).
- High Tension = shocking but somehow thrilling.
- SAW/Final Destination = ingenious and somehow deserving.
- Wolf Creek = grim and nasty. The other one I remember like this is Frodo taking scalps ... here we are ... Maniac (2012)

Then I suppose you've got the jump scares, and the psychological tension/dread.

There should be different terminology and classifications for subcats of horror!
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
Old 20-10-2020, 18:32   #137
GPR79

^^ I'm guessing you weren't a fan of the noughties torture porn boom (Hostel, Martyrs, et al) me neither but Wolf Creek hooks me in thru John Jarratt's portrayal of Mick, he's just so happy doing what he loves, hunting tourists! His character gets fleshed out some in the mini-series as well, pardon the pun.

#32 - Unhinged (2020)
Russell Crowe sweats his way thru this short n nasty road rage thriller as the whack job on the loose after torching his unfaithful wife and her lover. All he wants is an apology from the rude woman who honked her horn at him at a green light, no matter how many people he has to kill to get it! 75 mins, some shocking violence, sweet car smashing action, what's not to like? Other than people in jeopardy consistently making dumb decisions of course, still

Oh and I'm 2 eps into Channel Zero: Candle Cove. That tooth creature thing is freaking me the **** out...

Last edited by GPR79; 20-10-2020 at 18:39.
GPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
aprout (21-10-2020), driver8 (21-10-2020), WeaselFierce (21-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 19:02   #138
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

2 more i watched in last few days...

House of Blood aka Chain reaction (2006) uncut dvd

Trailer...

Disppointing effort from Olaf ittenbach -
as usual some great gore and bad acting + script. But the films way too long (needs 20mins cut out of it) takes far too long to get to the fun stuff and its too spaced out. 5 out of 10.

Howl (2015) from amazon prime

Trailer...

Now this was better, nice british werewolf movie. Great werewolf design. Only complaint is most of the characters are really bloody annoying/useless and they dont die quick enough lol.
7 out of 10.

Last edited by captaineyecatch; 20-10-2020 at 19:08.
captaineyecatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
WeaselFierce (21-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)
Old 20-10-2020, 20:03   #139
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
I'd never seen or heard of Rahul Kohli before this but I hope he goes on to be a very popular star as he has bags of charisma. He and T'nia Miller are the best of the adult cast and make their roles seem completely effortless
Rahul is a great guy and was very good in 'iZombie' well worth watching and T'nia Miller was very good in 'Years and Years' which is a TV series which is a great watch even more so in the current climate of 'the worlds gone to ****'
Old 21-10-2020, 08:35   #140
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Possessor (2020) - Definitely recommend this one. Written and directed by David Cronenberg's son Brandon who has obviously been gifted with some of his father's talent. Not for the faint hearted but I'm sure you lot can handle it.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 7 times by:
aprout (21-10-2020), captaineyecatch (21-10-2020), eye__writ (21-10-2020), GPR79 (21-10-2020), sleep4ever (25-10-2020), WeaselFierce (21-10-2020), werewolf (21-10-2020)