Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 11-10-2020, 20:44   #81
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
[*]7. Ready or Not [/LIST]
That is one of my fave horror films of the last few years, even watched the extras on the making of it which I dont normally do, its super fun and I well recommend it
driver8 (12-10-2020), eye__writ (11-10-2020), sleep4ever (13-10-2020), WeaselFierce (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:04   #82
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

The Blackcoat's Daughter aka February (2015)
Well this was a disturbing little slow burn of a film. Two girls (Kiernan Shipka and Lucy Boynton) are left behind at their boarding school during a snowbound February half term. Meanwhile Emma Roberts is picked up by James Remar and wife en route to the same town. I don't want to say anything more about the plot, and I suggest you avoid reading the imdb description and just go in blind. From the opening disturbing dream sequence Oz Perkins sets a sense of doom that pervades everything that follows. The narrative plays around with sequence and time in a way that reshapes the context of what you've previously seen, but the true tragedy and nature of the story doesn't start to reveal itself until quite late in the game. Despite the elusively slow pace, this really hooked me and left me pondering what I'd seen long into the night.
Quote:
Kat: You smell pretty.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 12-10-2020 at 13:24.
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (12-10-2020), GPR79 (12-10-2020), Out for Justice (12-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 12:19   #83
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Well this was disturbing little slow burn of a film. Two girls (Kiernan Shipka and Lucy Boynton) are left behind at the boarding school during a snowbound February half term. Meanwhile Emma Roberts is picked up by James Remar and wife en route to the same town. I don't want to say anything more about the plot, and I suggest you avoid reading the imdb description and just go in blind. From the opening disturbing dream sequence Oz Perkins sets a sense of doom that pervades everything that follows. The narrative plays around with sequence and time in a way that reshapes the context of what you've previously seen, but the true tragedy and nature of the story doesn't start to reveal itself until quite late in the game. Despite the elusively slow pace, this really hooked me and left me pondering what I'd seen long into the night.
Oz Perkins (son of Anthony by the by) gives good horror as writer/director but it's as an actor that he was involved in his most terrifying screen outing...

WeaselFierce (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 13:42   #84
GPR79

OK on to the "lost" sequel to Ringu. Filmed and released back to back with Nakata's original but knocked over the head and chucked down a well like poor Sadako when it was clear Ringu was a massive international hit and this one wasn't.

#18 - Spiral (1998)
Ando, a medical school chum of Ringu's Ryuji, performs the autopsy of his now deceased pal which leads him to investigate WTF happened with all that crazy video tape curse stuff. This is a poorly directed flick, visually speaking it's not a patch on Ringu, it's all very TV movie and dated looking. The entire first half of the movie is Ando playing catch-up to what we already know and as a protagonist his pathologist with a tragic past (dead son) moping around just grates. It is fun seeing some of the actors from the original reprising their roles, specifically Hiroyuki Sanada (Ryuji) and Miki Nakatani (Mai). So far, so what, but then things got interesting...[better use spoiler tags just in case somebody gets mad even tho it's a 22 year old film]

So after all that I was sad I wouldn't get to see where this alternate story takes us, I mean yes it's a bad movie but a fascinating experience. Then I noticed they actually did make a sequel to this forgotten sequel in 2012; Sadako 3D, followed by Sadako 3D 2 in 2013 and Sadako vs. Kayako in 2016 (yes that's Ring vs. The Grudge) so all is right with the world. Carry on.
captaineyecatch (12-10-2020), eye__writ (12-10-2020), WeaselFierce (12-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 13:56   #85
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
So after all that I was sad I wouldn't get to see where this alternate story takes us, I mean yes it's a bad movie but a fascinating experience. Then I noticed they actually did make a sequel to this forgotten sequel in 2012; Sadako 3D, followed by Sadako 3D 2 in 2013 and Sadako vs. Kayako in 2016 (yes that's Ring vs. The Grudge) so all is right with the world. Carry on.
I thought I'd posted this in one of the previous Halloween threads but it turns out it was in the general what'r ya watchin' thread.

Quote:
Sadako v Kayako (2016) - Well, I like The Ring and I like The Grudge. But which is better? There's only one way to find out... FIGHT! And, as dumb as this may sound, that is the exact concept for the this film! A bit of early pre-amble set the scene with a pair of teenage girls falling foul of Sadako's cursed VHS tape while another teenage girl moves next door to the Ju-on house. We get to revisit some classic haunting scenes from both ghosts before anime-style spiritual expert Masanobu Andô enters the picture and decides the best way to sort things is get doubly cursed and let the ghosts fight it out. Falling somewhere between parody and nostalgic homage don't expect anything near the quality of those original films. That said, it has moments. Masanobu is ridiculously over the top and an exorcism sequence early in the film is pretty terrific.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 3 times by:
eye__writ (12-10-2020), GPR79 (12-10-2020), sleep4ever (13-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 14:13   #86
GPR79

Oooooh I want to see that

Dear Santa, for Xmas I would like a special edition boxset containing all the Ringu & Ju-On flicks, spin-offs, TV series and short films. You can stick the US remakes on a bonus disc with no extras if you like.

I'd spend few weeks watching the **** out of that and then I'd sell it on and never think of them again
Old 12-10-2020, 20:36   #87
eye__writ
Trusted User

Had myself a slasher double-bill last night…

#11 - Laid To Rest (2009)

I’d seen this before but was planning to watch the sequel so figured I’d double up. Chromeskull remains my favourite horror icon of the late noughts – the fu**er isn’t messing around and everything he does is delivered with maximum impact, while looking stylish as heck into the bargain.

He’s stalking an amnesiac young woman in a small town for mysterious reasons and he wears a shoulder mounted camera to capture his handiwork as he hacks his way through anyone who tries to protect her.

Make sure you swerve the R-rated version which loses lots of the fun lingering shots of the excellent practical effects. Moments that include guts being held in unsuccessfully, throats being furiously sawn open and a truly memorable shotgun to the head.

It’s also nice to see Lena Headey and Thomas Dekker working together again after The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

#12 - Chromeskull: Laid To Rest 2 (2011)

Not sure why it’s taken me so long to catch the sequel but it succeeded in whetting my appetite for the oft delayed but supposedly now on course third instalment.

This one isn’t as gloriously lean and efficient as the original, mainly because they decided to add an elaborate Chromeskull back story involving him financing an evil lair full of staff, who help with building his weapons and whatnot. It’s really stupid but does end up paying off towards the end.

Again the practical effects are mostly stellar with more of the same crunchy knife work, alongside some more Saw-like mechanical moments. There's a definite glee in Mr Chrome's work.

Maybe my favourite part though was a quick glimpse of a police report which says something about someone being “heinously murdered”. Real bummer, dude!

driver8 (13-10-2020), GPR79 (13-10-2020), sleep4ever (13-10-2020), WeaselFierce (12-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 21:15   #88
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Quote:
Well this was a disturbing little slow burn of a film. Two girls (Kiernan Shipka and Lucy Boynton) are left behind at their boarding school during a snowbound February half term. Meanwhile Emma Roberts is picked up by James Remar and wife en route to the same town. I don't want to say anything more about the plot, and I suggest you avoid reading the imdb description and just go in blind. From the opening disturbing dream sequence Oz Perkins sets a sense of doom that pervades everything that follows. The narrative plays around with sequence and time in a way that reshapes the context of what you've previously seen, but the true tragedy and nature of the story doesn't start to reveal itself until quite late in the game. Despite the elusively slow pace, this really hooked me and left me pondering what I'd seen long into the night.
Really enjoyed this one too - Emma roberts and Kienan shipka are doing some great work in the horror genre.
Old 12-10-2020, 21:27   #89
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Next movie...

Scary stories to tell in the dark (2019) from amazon prime

trailer...

Hmmmm! This one was disappointing. Its shot really nice with some lovely sweeping shots, nice atmosphere. The Jangly man is superb. But the other stories are poorly done, scarecrow story is dull, nice design of the scarecrow but he does hardly anything. Pale lady story is utter crap again great design on her but what i was hoping she would do
doesnt happen and its such an anti climax. Tame teen hollywood fare. 5 out of 10
eye__writ (12-10-2020), GPR79 (13-10-2020), WeaselFierce (12-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 09:28   #90
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)
Kim Darby and workaholic hubby Jim Hutton move into their inherited old mansion and things start to go bump in the night. The things in question being little prune headed gremlin-things intent of grievous bodily harm. At a little over 70 minutes, this TV special is a neat, but slight, creepy piece. The lighting and oppressive use of shadows in the poorly lit building is beautifully shot. I just wish I liked the characters more - Darby is a bit wet, her husband is a narky, shouty asshole and old man Harris is frustratingly vague in his constant warnings. The best character is friend Joan (Barbara Anderson) who gets to display some of her no nonsense spunk during the film's finale.
Quote:
Sally Farnham: I've always dreamed of having a room like this. Someplace I could sit in front of a roaring fire, do something very romantic… Like make out my grocery list.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (13-10-2020), eye__writ (13-10-2020), GPR79 (13-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 15:57   #91
sleep4ever
Trusted User

I had Spiral on dvd but have no recollection of it at all. Or Ring 0.

#9 - Hubie Halloween - Adam Sandlers revenge flick for not winning an oscar. Sometimes it made me laugh only for it to be followed by a really crappy joke undoing the good work. Still, made me laugh more than i was expecting inbetween the cringey awful stuff. The cat joke a highlight.

10 - Scanners. The original on the horror channel the other night. Put it on to watch the start and just carried on. Michael Ironside acting rings around the wooden lead. Patrick Mcgoohan adding some class.

11 - Frightfest Documentary - Documentary about the London and Glasgow horror film festival. A bit niche and seemed more of a puff piece, but was interesting to see behind the scenes. Even more so given whats happened this year.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
aprout (13-10-2020), eye__writ (13-10-2020), GPR79 (13-10-2020), WeaselFierce (13-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 18:45   #92
GPR79

"Friend" of mine chose these for me. Seen them before back when they were released but could barely remember them, which is always a warning sign. Apparently it's a complete filmmaker retrospective, in that the director only made these two films...

#19 - Ghost Ship (2002)
Salvage crew come across a massive luxury cruise ship lost in the 1960s which now prowls the ocean hungry for souls. Looks great, cast are solid (Gabriel Byrne, Julianna Margulies, Karl Urban), FX are very nice; especially the opening scene with everyone getting sliced in half by the metal cable...but it just sucks. I mean it's not awful, it's competently made. It's just soulless action trash dressed up as a horror flick with no bite. Forgetting it already...again.

#20 - Thir13en Ghosts (2001)
F. Murray Abraham builds the ultimate Grand Designs folly; all windows and clockwork moving structures complete with bonus 12 deadly ghosts in the basement. He then promptly dies and leaves it to his nephew (Tony Shalhoub) and his family. Again this looks amazing - the production design, the sets, FX, etc. The actors are doing their best, even poor Matthew Lillard froths, spits, throws himself around like a madman and generally ratchets it up past 11. How can something so loud and frenetic be so booooooring? I'm ashamed to say I was fiddling with my phone by the end and I NEVER do that when I'm watching a flick.

Bad night. Better get back to The Ring flicks...
aprout (13-10-2020), captaineyecatch (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (13-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 19:35   #93
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
I have a soft spot for those Dark Castle Entertainment flicks of the late 90s/early2000s, mainly because they came at a time when nobody else seemed to be putting any effort into releasing horror films theatrically & even if most of them sucked, they all had a bit of style & actors who elevated the material somewhat.

1999's House on Haunted Hill freaked me out when I saw it in the cinema & also contains one of my favourite lines from a horror film:

"I lied. The house is alive. We're all going to die."

Haven't seen any of them for years, but I recall the House of Wax remake & The Reaping being quite creepy too.

Might have to dig out my DVDs...
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
captaineyecatch (14-10-2020), eye__writ (13-10-2020), GPR79 (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (13-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 19:56   #94
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

I have to agree with aprout, those Dark Castle films are great fun, Ghost Ship. Thir13en Ghosts and House on haunted hill are a trilogy of fun 00's horror, and I watch my DVD's of them every few years when nostalgia tugs at my horror itch.

Also not watched much horror of late but I am going to watch 'Brain Dead' tonight, the totally over the top Peter Jackson splatterfest, I own 3 different DVD's of it and love to watch it now and again, maybe with a bowl of custard instead of popcorn
eye__writ (13-10-2020), GPR79 (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (13-10-2020)
Old 13-10-2020, 21:52   #95
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

I'm with aprout and wasted too on those Dark Castle flicks. All are flawed films to be sure, they each manage to drop the ball completely in their final acts yet they're a comfort food I keep returning to.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked once by:
GPR79 (14-10-2020)
Old 14-10-2020, 09:04   #96
Out for Justice
XBL: ShookusDaBookus

Not a fan of the aforementioned Dark Castle films but it's been a long time since I watched them.

Slaughterhouse Rulez (2018) is on Netflix. Enjoyable comedy horror. Hit and miss with the jokes but the monster effects are good. Nothing special but worth a watch.

Wer - Whoops, ordered the German blu-ray which had English audio but no subtitles so the small sections in French were a struggle. Still a fun watch. Is there a reason behind Talan's fondness of face touching?

Sputnik (2020) - Another fun little monster movie I watched a while ago. Recommended.
Out for Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (15-10-2020), GPR79 (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (14-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 14-10-2020, 09:46   #97
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out for Justice View Post
Sputnik (2020) - Another fun little monster movie I watched a while ago. Recommended.
Not heard of this one before. Sounds up my alley.

Sole Survivor (1984)
Anita Skinner is the sole survivor of a plane crash but return to normal life is rudely interrupted with several new near misses and constant harrassment from the recently dead. I've heard this frequently referred to as the original Final Destination but it has more in common with the 1980 novel Death Walkers by Gary "The Howling" Brandner (of which there was a TV version in 1989 starring Lindsay Wagner, Bruce Boxleitner - also worth watching, IMO). Both stories feature the concept of 'death' inhabiting the bodies of the recently killed to reclaim the one who escaped. Writer/Director Thom Eberhardt's entertaining film stands on its own merits. The dialogue is really good with some great exchanges between Skinner and love interest Kurt Johnson. The characters are also very likeable which makes the dark events even more tragic. Also, turns out this is set over Christmas, so, if like me you enjoy some alternately dark Chrimbo viewing, add this to the list!
Quote:
Brian Richardson: Don't take it so hard on yourself. Think about the dress you bought. They didn't charge you for it.
Denise Watson: Yes, they did. It's those damn computers. They made a mistake. But sooner or later, they'll find you.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (14-10-2020), eye__writ (14-10-2020), GPR79 (14-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 14-10-2020, 18:48   #98
GPR79

Quote:
Dark Castle Films
I have fond memories of House On Haunted Hill but then Jeffrey Combs makes everything better. For the most part tho that genre of late 90's/early 00's, CGI heavy, flashy, frenetic, music video type, action/horror flicks just rubbed me up the wrong way and still does apparently.

#21 - Books of Blood (2020)
My first anthology of the month! A trio of tales from Barker's titular tomes. Really only two tales, with the third being the wraparound story. A girl with mental issues on the run from her parents ends up at a charming B&B [that never ends well] and Anna Friel as a scientist with a dead child who meets a sexy young psychic who may or may not be full of sheeit. Now, I've gotten to the point where when I see "Hulu" stamped on something I'm very wary because they've gone steeply downhill over the years especially with horror but I'm glad I gave this a go. Probably due in no small part to writer/director Brannon Braga this turned out to be a solid "straight to video" type bit of fun. It's not flashy, and it's not action-packed (I see the usual complaints on IMDB "boring" etc) and yes it ends up feeling like a set-up for a future anthology series (oh it was apparently, just looked it up) but don't let that put you off, suck it and see for yourself!
aprout (15-10-2020), captaineyecatch (14-10-2020), eye__writ (14-10-2020), wasted (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (14-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 14-10-2020, 19:05   #99
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasted View Post
I have to agree with aprout, those Dark Castle films are great fun, Ghost Ship. Thir13en Ghosts and House on haunted hill are a trilogy of fun 00's horror, and I watch my DVD's of them every few years when nostalgia tugs at my horror itch.

Also not watched much horror of late but I am going to watch 'Brain Dead' tonight, the totally over the top Peter Jackson splatterfest, I own 3 different DVD's of it and love to watch it now and again, maybe with a bowl of custard instead of popcorn
Another fan of those Dark castle films - just alot of fun especially for Hollywood studio type releases.
Brain dead - Peter jackson is working on 4k remasters on all his old films (Brain dead, Bad taste, Meet the feebles and Heavenly creatures).
wasted (14-10-2020), WeaselFierce (14-10-2020), werewolf (19-10-2020)
Old 14-10-2020, 20:02   #100
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
Books of Blood (2020)
My first anthology of the month! A trio of tales from Barker's titular tomes. Really only two tales, with the third being the wraparound story. A girl with mental issues on the run from her parents ends up at a charming B&B [that never ends well] and Anna Friel as a scientist with a dead child who meets a sexy young psychic who may or may not be full of sheeit. Now, I've gotten to the point where when I see "Hulu" stamped on something I'm very wary because they've gone steeply downhill over the years especially with horror but I'm glad I gave this a go. Probably due in no small part to writer/director Brannon Braga this turned out to be a solid "straight to video" type bit of fun. It's not flashy, and it's not action-packed (I see the usual complaints on IMDB "boring" etc) and yes it ends up feeling like a set-up for a future anthology series (oh it was apparently, just looked it up) but don't let that put you off, suck it and see for yourself!
I got this the other day and I am a huge fan of Books of Blood ... the books themselves, bought them 3 times now as I lent them to friends and never got them back, so looking forward to seeing how this one goes.
GPR79 (15-10-2020)