Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 03-10-2020, 10:43   #21
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
Wheel of Sleaze randomizer picked these...
#02 - Kolobos (1999)
I got through about half an hour of this last night. Oh boy, those actors!

I'll watch the rest when the nausea passes.
GPR79 (04-10-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 17:17   #22
sleep4ever
Trusted User

#3. #Alive on Netflix. Korean zombie film, nothing new or inspiring, but a good little film. Zombies attack an apartment block. Modern youth struggles to survive. From imdb its suggested its a remake of a french film so ill have a look at that too.

Best of the three ive seen so far.
sleep4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
captaineyecatch (05-10-2020), eye__writ (03-10-2020), GPR79 (04-10-2020), KeyserSoze (04-10-2020), WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 08:14   #23
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Tourist Trap (1979)
A collection of young folk stumble across Slausen's Lost Oasis - an idyllic vacation spot with a scenic waterfall, Chuck Connors' mannequin museum and, alas, a masked murderer. An early Charles Band production which indulges in his love of killer dolls, Psycho and why not throw in a little Carrie for good measure? The cast are likeable (especially Tanya Roberts in her short shorts and boob tube) despite their inexplicable habit of wandering off on their own. David Schmoeller delivers a fine looking flick with plenty of creepy atmosphere and genuinely unsettling mannequin sequences. It's just a shame the mystery part of the film never evolves past the 'is he or isn't he the killer' with regard to Connors.
Quote:
Girl: I was stopping for gas on the highway. I never even saw him coming. He's crazy. We're all going to die… we're all going to die.

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
aprout (04-10-2020), eye__writ (04-10-2020), GPR79 (04-10-2020), Nana (04-10-2020), sleep4ever (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:18   #24
eye__writ
Trusted User

#4 - Let's Scare Julie (2020)

This 83 minute offering’s main selling point is the ambitious decision to film it entirely in one take. Apparently they actually filmed it 4 times in its entirety over the course of 4 nights and then picked the best take but unfortunately they also made the decision near the end to cut in a couple of scenes, which detracts from the achievement they’d made and makes you think they didn’t actually do it in one take.

The tale revolves around a group of 4 female friends spending the night at one of their houses and introducing a 5th member to their group by pranking her with some scares. Things start to go wrong when they decide to escalate their love of pranks by using their neighbour’s spare key to go over the road and break into her house while wearing masks to terrify the poor girl. The neighbour being the titular Julie.

You may be wondering, "How could a plan to enter someone's home without permission while wearing masks possibly go wrong?" but things do indeed go very wrong.

In terms of action it’s very much held back by the choice to film it in a single take. It’s almost entirely a tell don’t show approach, with what’s being described intended to be more disturbing in your head than what they could show on screen with their small budget.

It doesn’t really work though and there’s an awful lot of build-up for not much payoff.

Probably worth a watch just for the interesting filming decisions but mileage will vary depending on how successfully it makes you engage your imagination.

Last edited by eye__writ; 04-10-2020 at 11:39.
eye__writ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (04-10-2020), driver8 (04-10-2020), GPR79 (04-10-2020), WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 09:44   #25
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleep4ever View Post
#3. #Alive on Netflix. Korean zombie film, nothing new or inspiring, but a good little film. Zombies attack an apartment block. Modern youth struggles to survive. From imdb its suggested its a remake of a french film so ill have a look at that too.

Best of the three ive seen so far.
I really liked this one, especially watching it after the somewhat disappointing Peninsula (Train to Busan sequel).

While I'm recommending horrors I watched earlier this year...

Outcast (2010), surprisingly good little low budget Scottish/Irish horror flick. Dark, grimy, visceral & claustrophobic with committed performances from the likes of James Nesbitt and Kate Dickie (& a blink and you'll miss it cameo from a young Karen Gillan).

I rewatched One Cut of The Dead (2017) because it's awesome (obviously).

Oh and Relic (2020) was grim and depressing as hell but very good.

I'm sure I'll remember others, will mention em when I do.
WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:07   #26
GPR79

#04 - Wer (2013)
Enjoyed this, thanks for the reccie! The docudrama/police procedural/horror mashup style was different and different is good during horror month. Oh and I guess that is actually Vik Sahay's hair, I always thought that was a comedy wig he used for Chuck

#05 - The Babysitter (2017)
Rewatch due to sequel that just came out recently. Still very enjoyable, still recommended, still the best thing McG's done (tho I guess that's faint praise). What with Rim of the World I think McG's found his Netflix niche.

#06 - Mountaintop Motel Massacre (1983)
Nutbar old lady accidentally kills her daughter then proceeds to torment the customers of her $7 a night motel. Barrel scraping 80's slasher with no good hook (just a sickle). The familiar nostalgic comforting atmosphere of classic hack n slash videos of old kept me watching but only just. I still marvel at how good these remastered oldies look in HD.

Right, gonna need some more randomness for tonight. Someone pick a number from 1-10 and another from 1-64 please
aprout (04-10-2020), eye__writ (04-10-2020), KeyserSoze (04-10-2020), WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 10:42   #27
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
7 & 42
aprout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:53   #28
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
7 & 42
Nice selection!

Old 04-10-2020, 18:33   #29
GPR79

#07 - The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)
It's two years later and Cole is still being called a pussy by the kids at school. Somehow nobody believes what happened to him in the first movie. And now he dresses all nerd chic. Yes, it's a complete flucking mess. So embarrassingly bad I literally cringed for the poor actors more than a couple times. Every shoe-horned in music cue and 80's song, every pointed callback to the first flick, every horror/slasher 'homage' is so ill judged it's beyond sad. Just looking up the IMDB credits; I see the original writer had nothing to do with this...
WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 19:40   #30
sleep4ever
Trusted User

#4 - Two Heads Creek - Daft but entertaining Australian horror with an immigration theme. Goes goretastic around the hour mark, but loses it a bit at the end. Both leads were good. Probably would've killed with a festival crowd.
Thanked 2 times by:
eye__writ (04-10-2020), WeaselFierce (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020, 22:56   #31
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
#07 - The Babysitter: Killer Queen (2020)
It's two years later and Cole is still being called a pussy by the kids at school. Somehow nobody believes what happened to him in the first movie. And now he dresses all nerd chic. Yes, it's a complete flucking mess. So embarrassingly bad I literally cringed for the poor actors more than a couple times. Every shoe-horned in music cue and 80's song, every pointed callback to the first flick, every horror/slasher 'homage' is so ill judged it's beyond sad. Just looking up the IMDB credits; I see the original writer had nothing to do with this...
I actually thought it was alright in a "straight to video" cash-in sequel kinda way, and it certainly still has the over the top cartoon kills from the original.

It's entirely unnecessary as a sequel though and nothing like as high quality as the original.
GPR79 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 08:14   #32
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Little Evil (2017)
Eli "Tucker and Dale vs Evil" Craig directs this Netflix original comedy horror. Adam Scott marries Evangeline Lilly and is all set to live the family dream except for one slight snag - her son is the Antichrist! While not going for the jugular in the same vein as Tucker and Dale, Craig mines plenty of comedy from the premise to deliver an enjoyable little flick with plenty of laughs.
Quote:
Reverend J.D. Gospel: Ahhhh, I just love the smell of an old fashioned nunnery, don't you?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 3 times by:
aprout (05-10-2020), eye__writ (05-10-2020), GPR79 (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 11:09   #33
eye__writ
Trusted User

#5 - Scare Package (2019)

“This weekend is about no rules, no clothes and no seltzers!”

Probably the best film I’ve watched so far this season and certainly the best Shudder Original by miles. It’s well acted, well shot, funny, gory, fast paced and just tremendously entertaining.

This is an anthology piece with 6 stories and unusually all of them are worthwhile, albeit a couple are very short, they’re still not throwaway entries. It’s from the horror comedy end of the anthology spectrum but there’s still blood, guts and fluids pouring out of the screen for at least 80% of the running time. And it’s the fun, chunky brand of viscera from something like Bad Taste or Terrifier. Good times!

The genres vary from creature feature, to standard slasher, to body possession shenanigans but they’re all amazingly consistent in tone despite the variety of writers and they all feel part of the same Halloween movie marathon party that I didn’t even know I’d been invited to.

Traditionally the wraparound portion of these anthologies is the weak link but even that’s fantastic here too. It’s set in Rad Chad’s Horror Emporium video store and the individual segments are generally VHS tapes that they’re playing to pass the time between their zero customers.

The final reel has a nice cameo for the horror nerds and there's a fun use of the Wilhelm Scream.

If you’re a fan of things like Tucker and Dale vs Evil or Peter Jackson’s early work, you’ll almost certainly get a kick out of this.

Last edited by eye__writ; 05-10-2020 at 12:58.
Thanked 4 times by:
aprout (05-10-2020), captaineyecatch (05-10-2020), GPR79 (05-10-2020), WeaselFierce (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 14:31   #34
GPR79

#08 - Amazonia: The Catherine Miles Story (aka Cannibal Holocaust 2: The Catherine Miles Story, aka White Slave, aka Schiave bianche - Violenza in Amazzonia) (1985)
18 year old carefree rich chick Cathy leaves boarding school in England for her family's rubber plantation in the Amazon where she gets kidnapped by a tribe of indigenous headhunters, after seeing her parents decapitated, naturally. We're at the latter less shocking end of the Italian cannibal flick cycle here, so there's really only a sprinkling of serious gore and a whole lot of soapy melodrama as our blonde heroine goes native and falls for her hunky Indio captor. Come to think of it there's no cannibalism in this cannibal flick and less sleaze than I thought would be possible in a film that has it's female protagonist topless for most of it's runtime. And I really enjoyed it! I know, surprised me too but I got caught up in the story. There's an interesting framing narrative with Cathy in court recounting her experiences while on trial for murder followed by a bit of a twist ending. Something a little different from the straightforward brutality of the Holocaust/Ferox classics was very welcome. Plus Franco Campanino's score, while never reaching the dreamy heights of Rizo Ortolani's Holocaust theme, was pretty good...

aprout (06-10-2020), driver8 (06-10-2020), eye__writ (05-10-2020), WeaselFierce (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 17:30   #35
sleep4ever
Trusted User

#5 - Vampires vs the bronx. Liked this a lot, but cant add anything to Eye-Writs well written review. Actually better than i thought it would be.

Debating goint to see Saint Maude at the cinema
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (05-10-2020), GPR79 (05-10-2020), Nana (05-10-2020), WeaselFierce (06-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 18:32   #36
GPR79

#09 - Dogs (1976)
The pet dogs in a small college town in California start to inexplicably turn on their owners. What a hoot! This was a bit of a crowd-pleaser frankly. David McCallum was great as a badass denim clad hippie physics professor. It starts off a little slow and of course there's not much terror in some of the canine attacks (hey that's the Dulux dog!) but it's still great fun, especially the dog show sequence. One eerily prescient scene involved an entire campus of college students being told to stay put after which they immediately head out to party and get f00ked. Plus you've got a pre-Dallas Linda Gray getting attacked by a Doberman in the shower and Colonel Sandurz from Spaceballs as McCallum's gun toting dog shooting nerdy sidekick

Quote:
Professor Fitzgerald [addressing gathered students]: That sound you've been hearing all night is dogs packing.
Random student: Are they going on a trip?
aprout (06-10-2020), eye__writ (05-10-2020), WeaselFierce (06-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 21:47   #37
eye__writ
Trusted User

#6 - Hosts (2020)

"Don't you want to be set free?"

Kinell, this one's a bit tense!

It's Christmas Eve and a young couple are getting ready to go out to have a nice family meal at a friend's house. While they're getting ready they notice some strange lights in the garden and end up becoming the hosts for some sort of supernatural entities.

Their friends welcome them into their home unaware of the evil lurking under the skin and proceed to regret that decision in a variety of brutal ways.

I won't go into any more detail as the constant wondering when the next jolt of violence will happen is what gives the film its very effective tension. Some of the middle does drag on a bit with the occasional bout of drawn-out theatrical chatter, but overall it's a pretty efficient little shocker.

Last edited by eye__writ; 07-10-2020 at 20:20.
Thanked 4 times by:
captaineyecatch (07-10-2020), GPR79 (06-10-2020), sleep4ever (07-10-2020), WeaselFierce (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 09:56   #38
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

It (2017)
I've never read the novel (despite the wife constantly nagging me to!) so my reference to IT is through the very nostalgia tinted view of the 80's miniseries, especially Tim Curry's Pennywise. After the somewhat gratuitous opening (shock tactics over mystery) and a somewhat slow, disjointed first hour, the Losers are finally assembled and the film kicks into gear and held my attention from thereon in. Excellent performances all round from the child actors. A mixed bag of effects and scares. Bill Skarsgård is good but no one can hold a candle to Curry. Part 2 a coming up…
Quote:
Richie Tozier: You punched me, made me walk through ****** water, dragged me through a crackhouse... and now I'm gonna have to kill this ******* clown.
On the related subject of Bill Skarsgard and Stephen King, I watched both seasons of Castle Rock earlier in the year as well as HBOs The Outsider.

Both seasons of Castle Rock were a mixed bag. There's some interesting ideas at work and occasionally outstanding moments or episodes but neither series is well paced or really hangs together as a satisfying whole. Part of the problem is the series doesn't seem to trust the viewer. Season 1 has a beautiful episode from the point of view of Sissy Spacek's character yet undermines it by telling the audience what's going on in the previous episode (recapped too in case you missed it!) instead of trusting the storytelling at work.

The Outsider is bloody brilliant though. Expertly crafted, sinister and addictive viewing from beginning to end. There was one big plot contrivance, crowbarred by a character towards the end which is so nonsensical other than forcing the finale to where the author wanted it, that left a black mark on an otherwise perfect experience.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 3 times by:
driver8 (06-10-2020), eye__writ (06-10-2020), GPR79 (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:05   #39
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
Both seasons of Castle Rock were a mixed bag. There's some interesting ideas at work and occasionally outstanding moments or episodes but neither series is well paced or really hangs together as a satisfying whole. Part of the problem is the series doesn't seem to trust the viewer. Season 1 has a beautiful episode from the point of view of Sissy Spacek's character yet undermines it by telling the audience what's going on in the previous episode (recapped too in case you missed it!) instead of trusting the storytelling at work.

The Outsider is bloody brilliant though. Expertly crafted, sinister and addictive viewing from beginning to end. There was one big plot contrivance, crowbarred by a character towards the end which is so nonsensical other than forcing the finale to where the author wanted it, that left a black mark on an otherwise perfect experience.
Watched S1 of Castle Rock, interesting but, yeah very unsatisfying, I will get round to S2 eventually, probably.

Agree Outsider was excellent. It led me to the Mr Mercedes TV show, which also features the character of Holly Gibney and turned out to be quality David E. Kelley stuff. Note S1 is the best; the plot starts to stretch a little thin over S2&3 but the Kelley dialogue and offbeat characters keeps it ticking along.

This month I'll be starting Servant & Lovecraft Country.
driver8 (06-10-2020), WeaselFierce (06-10-2020)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:59   #40
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Watched S1 of Castle Rock, interesting but, yeah very unsatisfying, I will get round to S2 eventually, probably.

Agree Outsider was excellent. It led me to the Mr Mercedes TV show, which also features the character of Holly Gibney and turned out to be quality David E. Kelley stuff. Note S1 is the best; the plot starts to stretch a little thin over S2&3 but the Kelley dialogue and offbeat characters keeps it ticking along.

This month I'll be starting Servant & Lovecraft Country.
I was ready to go onto Mr Mercedes after The Outsider but we went with Castle Rock instead.

Currently working through the last couple of seasons of Channel Zero. Haven't regained the highs of Candle Cove yet but they're still interesting with lots of WTF imagery.

Interested in Lovecraft Country too but not heard of Servant?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 06-10-2020 at 11:04.
Thanked once by:
GPR79 (06-10-2020)