Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 27-01-2021, 18:50   #21
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Just a rumour at the minute.

$29.99 as well. No thanks!
They are having a laugh aren't they ??
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 19:09   #22
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
They are having a laugh aren't they ??
Yep. At that price it'll be the most pirated film in history.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 20:34   #23
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I would probably pay as I don’t want the film to bomb and hey people don’t like women in the leads.

Interesting both big movies sent to hone viewing all all women led (this. Wonder Woman, even Mulan)

Which maybe tactical As women like me happy to pay and watch it in tv. Or may be more sinister!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 20:37   #24
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,114 Times in 476 Posts
Is that £20 over here? I might pay that.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2021, 21:09   #25
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanderson View Post
Interesting both big movies sent to hone viewing all all women led (this. Wonder Woman, even Mulan)

Which maybe tactical As women like me happy to pay and watch it in tv. Or may be more sinister!
Pretty sure Jamie Foxx isn't a woman or are we saying Soul wasn't a big movie ?
Old 27-01-2021, 21:50   #26
Shingster
Trusted User

I think the argument that people don't like women in lead roles is about 90yrs out of date. If you buy this film at this price all you are doing is sending the message that it's OK to charge this completely outrageous price for the viewing of one film. It's not a healthy message to send out in the name of feminine solidarity.

Quote:

More like there's a bigger drive towards female-led action films going into 2020 and they've had the bad luck of being slapped in the face by a global pandemic. Just a horrible coincidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
Is that £20 over here? I might pay that.
I wish the pound was that strong against the dollar, it's closer to £25 so that will probably be the UK price if you are lucky.

Ultimately hollywood are just hurting themselves, charge £20+ for a single film and people are gonna be pushed towards pirating. They need to realise that this is not a theatrical release, the exact same film in the exact same presentation without the extortionate price tag is just a click away once you release anything to streaming.

Last edited by Shingster; 27-01-2021 at 21:59.
Shingster is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
driver8 (29-01-2021), eye__writ (28-01-2021), fivebyfive (28-01-2021), The Bear (28-01-2021)
Old 28-01-2021, 08:20   #27
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

The thing is - for a medium sized household - it could be argued that £20/25 for unlimited viewings by multiple people isn't actually that bad.

If I didn't have a Limitless card, it would cost at least that much, at my local Odeon, for me and my son to see it just once.
Old 28-01-2021, 11:38   #28
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Quote:
people don’t like women in the leads.
That seems to be an argument pushed by people with an agenda and the stats don't back it up.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46539473
Old 28-01-2021, 16:00   #29
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
The thing is - for a medium sized household - it could be argued that £20/25 for unlimited viewings by multiple people isn't actually that bad.

If I didn't have a Limitless card, it would cost at least that much, at my local Odeon, for me and my son to see it just once.
This is the problem with the current streaming PPV model because they are quite blatantly charging a family price when they are not selling to a family, they are selling to the individual who is purchasing the film, who is going to be royally ****** off if he's paying for a wife and kids he doesn't have!

I get that the studios are faced with a bit of a dilemma because they are going to lose money on the streaming model, which will absorb 3-4 potential cinema tickets on average into a single purchase from a "household", but imo that is a hit they have got to take. For years they have been thoughtlessly just throwing money at their films, bloating movie after movie with VFX sequence after VFX sequence - remember when action films used to have just a couple of kickass setpieces? - and the cost of that has been passed on to the viewer and cinema chain with studios demanding a larger percentage of the ticket, making it as hard as possible for cinemas to make money, leading to increasingly absurd ticket prices.

They can get away with that under the umbrella of the "big screen night out" experience, but they cannot get away with that by offering us something that we usually get for free in the comfort of our own homes, and that we can get for free if we either pirate or just wait a couple of months for the inevitable move towards the free platforms. Hollywood need to learn a very harsh lesson: You need to stop making so many films that are well in excess of $150million dollars and start being more creative and more efficient, because film watchers are not a bottomless pit of money! We have our limits.

When the pandemic dies down the cinema chains more than ever are going to need help from Hollywood and a relaxing of the outrageous percentages of the first week sales they take, but that won't come because the worst offenders like Disney will be interested in buying up failing cinema chains (like they were sniffing around AMC late last year). I dread to think what the industry would look like with cinema chains owned by studios rather than pushing against them. Ticket prices would go through the roof, especially if they're getting away with charging £20-£30 a film via "premier access" on streaming platforms!

Last edited by Shingster; 28-01-2021 at 16:12.
Thanked 2 times by:
driver8 (29-01-2021), eye__writ (28-01-2021)
Old 28-01-2021, 17:08   #30
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

That logic doesn't follow ... if the film company, Disney, owned the cinema chain, AMC, then - in theory - it should cost Joe Bloggs LESS to see a Disney film at what was an AMC cinema. Unless they don't pass on the cost saving.

There is no way they would be able to justify using stream prices for a cinema release - as there is no need to recover lost cinema ticket revenue.

Similarly, if the streaming mechanism guaranteed that the film could only be watched ONCE per subscription then the streaming fee wouldn't be anywhere near £25 either IMHO.

The streaming fee takes multiple viewings by multiple people into account; a cinema ticket is a one viewing per person
Old 28-01-2021, 20:37   #31
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Simultaneous Cinema and Home Viewing releases are going to become the norm, and to a certain extent they attract different audiences.

To use a cliche it’s not if but when.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2021, 22:00   #32
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
That logic doesn't follow ... if the film company, Disney, owned the cinema chain, AMC, then - in theory - it should cost Joe Bloggs LESS to see a Disney film at what was an AMC cinema. Unless they don't pass on the cost saving.
I think you've answered your own question there: Do you trust the the studios to pass the savings on to the customer? I mean, I'd be confident that at first they might, but it really wouldn't be long until the prices start to rise. But I guess this all depends on how much you trust the studios, I'm very cynical and don't trust them an inch, especially when we're talking about Disney, who have been aggressively demanding more of the ticket price than any other studio for years now.

We can all blame the pandemic for being the death of cinema, but the reality is the pandemic is just the straw, it's the film studios that have been loading the crap out of that camel's back for years.

Quote:
There is no way they would be able to justify using stream prices for a cinema release - as there is no need to recover lost cinema ticket revenue.
You bought a ticket in the City of London recently? I'm willing to bet it's not far off the £20 asking price for Mulan! I think here in Birmingham the most expensive cinemas are asking around £14-£15 a ticket for standard 2D movies already.

Quote:
Similarly, if the streaming mechanism guaranteed that the film could only be watched ONCE per subscription then the streaming fee wouldn't be anywhere near £25 either IMHO.
I assumed this would be the case, how are they doing it then? You pay for a pass that allows you to watch however many times in what kind of timeframe? 24hrs, a week, a month, or permanently? I mean, if it's permanent or if it's for a period of time long enough that you are covered until it moves to free streaming then £20 isn't so insane I guess. I mean, I'd never pay it because I'd rather own a film on disc because that will be a better quality presentation every time, plus I have the patience not to have to watch any film NOW NOW NOW like a lot of fans these days are like.

Quote:
The streaming fee takes multiple viewings by multiple people into account; a cinema ticket is a one viewing per person
Again, what percentage of the audience actually does that? How many of us here can't wait to watch Black Widow five times opening week? The vast majority of us watch a film once then move on to the next and may revisit a film within a year if they really enjoyed it. Hardcore film nerds should not be inspiring the cost of cinema, because their tolerance level is going to be mega high. Some Marvel fans will be willing to spend $200 to watch Black Widow the instant it's available.

Hollywood needs to find the right price to strike a balance between being appealing to both nerds and casuals without pushing casuals towards piracy - and that's the crucial point for me, they need to find a pricepoint that doesn't make people think "you know what? I'll just download it elsewhere for free". There's got to be a pricepoint that does that, and personally I feel £20 for one viewing or unlimited viewing over a short time is gonna push people to do that. I accept that a lot of people will pirate it anyway and you're always gona have that problem, but I do feel that a lot of people want to pay for their films fair and square, but they'll have a limit. We've seen Mulan bomb already and I feel the price point was a part of the reason the film tanked as hard as it did.
Old 28-01-2021, 22:57   #33
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Firgot to mention as well that I'm not sure there are significant costs to be passed on to customers to start with, multiplexes are already understaffed and fudging the projection of films as it is, and we all know by now that the industry is propped up by the sale of concessions. You think Disney want to buy a cinema chain and run it at cost to maximise their film grosses? I suppose that would good for the marketing of huge blockbusters where they can brag about them being a $1billion smash and whatnot, but I think in reality Disney would want that chain to at least generate the same revenue after they buy it as before.

At the very least the buying up of chains by studios would probably .be the death knell of viewer choice on the big screen in multiplexes. That's something that does worry me about where the industry is heading.

Last edited by Shingster; 28-01-2021 at 23:00.
Old 29-01-2021, 06:12   #34
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
I was automatically assuming that the $29.99 price would be for a rental. So 48hrs from first starting the film.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:21   #35
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,114 Times in 476 Posts
I think Mulan was a pay once and keep forever, as long as you still have a Disney + subscription.
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 09:29   #36
Xeon007
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
I think Mulan was a pay once and keep forever, as long as you still have a Disney + subscription.
And then eventually everyone with Disney+ got it.

What happens if you haven't got Disney+ - would Black Widow mean you'd have to sign up for it first?

I'm wondering how many people don't have access to PVOD? My parents for example don't have Disney+ or Netflix etc. but (pre-COVID) easily go to the cinema to see a film.
Xeon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 11:42   #37
malcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeon007 View Post
And then eventually everyone with Disney+ got it.

What happens if you haven't got Disney+ - would Black Widow mean you'd have to sign up for it first?

I'm wondering how many people don't have access to PVOD? My parents for example don't have Disney+ or Netflix etc. but (pre-COVID) easily go to the cinema to see a film.

Yes with Disney PVOD you need to be paying the monthly Disney+ subscription of £5.99 going up to £7.99pm next month when Star added. It’s then a one-off £20 per film.

Other studios like Warner with Wonder Woman 84 put it on the regular digital rental sites so you don’t need to be paying a monthly subscription only a one-off fee. Makes the Disney PVOD look even worse value for money.

So they are on the likes of
iTunes
Amazon Video
Google Play
Sky Store

Some of these have apps on recent TVs or TV recorders otherwise you need to buy a streaming stick or box or something like Chromecast.

All this content though plays as a webstream.

What type of films did your parents watch. Hollywood stuff available on all above or more art house in which case the VOD via Curzon Home Cinema or BFI Player apps may be more appealing.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 12:25   #38
Xeon007
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy View Post
Yes with Disney PVOD you need to be paying the monthly Disney+ subscription of £5.99 going up to £7.99pm next month when Star added. It’s then a one-off £20 per film.

Other studios like Warner with Wonder Woman 84 put it on the regular digital rental sites so you don’t need to be paying a monthly subscription only a one-off fee. Makes the Disney PVOD look even worse value for money.

So they are on the likes of
iTunes
Amazon Video
Google Play
Sky Store

Some of these have apps on recent TVs or TV recorders otherwise you need to buy a streaming stick or box or something like Chromecast.

All this content though plays as a webstream.

What type of films did your parents watch. Hollywood stuff available on all above or more art house in which case the VOD via Curzon Home Cinema or BFI Player apps may be more appealing.
More Hollywood stuff really - Harry Potter movies etc. My Dad would love to see the new Bond film for example but he's not got any of those options unless he wants to watch on his laptop. Guess I could walk him through trying to hook it up to his TV.

For me not a problem - I've got a few options (e.g. Disney+ on my Firestick). Do I want to pay £20 to see one big release movie every week/month? I was paying less than that per month for my Unlimited Card.
Xeon007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 16:36   #39
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:
I would probably pay as I don’t want the film to bomb and hey people don’t like women in the leads.
that isn't true at all, people say that when garbage like charlie angels reboot flops. (people like Black widow character btw)

also don't even slightly criticise Carey Mulligan

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...sm-accusations

Quote:
Speaking to the Guardian, Harvey said he was ill at ease with the way in which Mulligan’s words to the New York Times describing her anger at the review had become received wisdom as to what his review actually said. “I did not say or even mean to imply Mulligan is ‘not hot enough’ for the role,” Harvey said.

“I’m a 60-year-old gay man. I don’t actually go around dwelling on the comparative hotnesses of young actresses, let alone writing about that.”

Harvey added that he had been “appalled to be tarred as misogynist, which is something very alien to my personal beliefs or politics. This whole thing could not be more horrifying to me than if someone had claimed I was a gung-ho Trump supporter.”
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...sm-accusations
Old 29-01-2021, 16:38   #40
malcy

I guess it depends with what’s near you and if you are lucky enough to have subscriptions for Cineworld or Odeon and their cheap deal.

For us our locals are an independent and Everyman. With Everyman you can buy various membership tiers which give a certain number of inclusive tickets, but it’s not unlimited and prices more than the other chains. It’s a gamble what tier you buy as our Everyman is only 5 screens and 3 of those are very small. It doesn’t have a great choice and film rotation either.

Regarding PVOD where you save is the family with 2.4 children and a kids films as miles less than all going to the cinema.

Probably pricing outside Disney where it’s £16 on iTunes, Amazon etc. is a good deal as a couple. Works for us. But that’s a one-off rental whereas with Disney you buy so it’s unlimited viewings.

Where PVOD doesn’t work price wise vs Odeon Unlimited is if your single.
But then single people are screwed everywhere as 2 for 1 offers are available at loads of places but you never see a 50% of 1 discount.

Also those offers also tend to screw single parents, as most family deals assume two adults, it’s never a discount off 1 adult plus children.
malcy is offline   Reply With Quote