Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 12-10-2019, 08:06   #61
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79 View Post
#15 - Poltergeist (1982)
Now this is one that I didn't watch until I was in my late teens and as such it never left the impression on me that it has done for others
This bit never left my psyche..

Xbox Live Tag - "Weaselfierce360"
PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
STEAM ID - "WeaselFierce"
WeaselFierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (12-10-2019), Jon B (13-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 08:26   #62
werewolf
Chicken Hunter

#9 Sleepaway camp (Nightmare vacation) 1983.

At a summer camp that looks a little dilapidated an idiot lets his girlfriend drive the speed boat with the inevitable result involving a sail boat
A few years later one of the children from sail boat returns to the camp, which is now complete with utter creeps as staff and things get bloody.

This is one of the films I’ve seen mentioned in here repeatedly over the years but never watched.
The effects were pretty good, although I was a little worried about the first few minutes, but apart from that blip right at the start it was very enjoyable, with a nice twist at the end that I didn’t see coming.

I’m going to try for #2 next

#10 Sleepaway camp II (1988)

Welcome back campers, we’re now at a new improved location but don’t worry things won’t change much.

This is pretty much more of the same, with the deaths starting early this summer.
Some more creative ways to kill, a lot more boobage, and the body count seems to be up.

Although this one didn’t have the same surprise the first one had, it was definitely enjoyable, although some of the ways to die were a little different.
The acting wasn’t anything special, and the story was pretty basic but definitely fun

#11 Sleepaway camp 3 (1989) – who would have thought building a camp on the grounds of a slaughter could go wrong.

More of the same, but again filled with fun, interesting and new ways to die/get killed.

#12 Return to sleepaway camp (2008)

Another trip to a summer camp, but remember kids if you misbehave you’ll die.

First impressions of this were that it was very different to the older films, right from the opening credits it was using far more, and louder music that felt out of place compared to how the originals used sound and music.
Second impressions were that it was like they’d tried to combine the story of the older films with a mid 00’s teen comedy – American Pie presents murder camp? ;-)
It’s reasonably enjoyable but lacks something from the older films, and whilst the budget was obviously higher they didn’t really seem to do much new (although the twist did catch me a little by surprise).
werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (12-10-2019), GPR79 (12-10-2019), Out for Justice (12-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 18:47   #63
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
#15 - Poltergeist (1982)
It fires on all cylinders; it's scary, exciting, funny, charming, well acted and beautifully shot. Basically a true classic, if you haven't seen it watch it and if you have, watch it again. Highly recommended.
I've said it before but, putting aside genres, Poltergeist is easily in my top 5 movies of all time. I won't bother adding it to my list here, but I absolutely adore it and it'll get a viewing this month, as it does every year.

Good to hear you rate Little Monsters too. I'd read a few reviews and they were super focused on Lupita Nyong'o being ace (which of course she is) rather than whether the film was any good.

Last night's viewing...

#9 - Supernatural Season 15 Premier (2019)

The longest running American live-action fantasy TV series in history will wrap up after this, its final season. I’ve watched it from the start and the quality of the stories, and likeability of its main cast, have remained reassuringly undimmed.

Sure, it’s had bad episodes and bad runs over the course of 307 installments, but they’ve generally found their feet again before too long, and I’ve loved being along for the ride in Dean’s Impala.

Episode 1 of the final season finds them in the position of having escalated the power of the respective baddies and goodies just about as far as they can go.
God has decided to move on from our Earthly struggles and left the Winchesters in a bit of a pickle. All of the souls of the monsters they've killed over the years have been returned to Earth and we're gearing up for a Supernatural greatest hits!

This episode focuses on one of my least liked enemies in the show's universe, which is ghosts. However they use them effectively here with some nice tearing of flesh, the usual high impact defence of rock-salt shotgun blasts and iron crowbars, and a main conceit of putting a mile-wide circle of salt around the town, to trap the ghosts inside.

That works for me, especially as it's still all shot with energy and imagination.

I'll miss it when it's done and I can’t resist doubling it up with another Jensen Ackles classic, for old times' sake...

#10 - My Bloody Valentine 3D (2009)

This was one of the first 3D films I saw at the cinema, back when filmmakers were still actually trying to use it creatively, and I remember it being mostly a great success.

I haven’t used the 3D functionality on my TV for ages, so it was surprising to see the technology still holds up, when done well. The opening credits, with the camera darting through a CGI cave as newspaper articles come towards the screen, look very believably 3D.

And of course, genre staple director Patrick Lussier wouldn’t miss the opportunity to pack the film with deaths that take advantage of the novelty. So we get pickaxes through heads, causing eyes to pop out the front towards the camera. We get cut in half heads sliding towards the camera. You get the idea.

It’s all good fun and pretty well made for what it is.

GPR79 (12-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 12-10-2019, 20:14   #64
GPR79
XBL: GozerTGozerian

Still got last season's Supernatural to catch up on but I like the sound of a greatest hits final season

Jared Padalecki's rebooting of Walker Texas Ranger? Not so much

#18 - Poltergeist II: The Other Side (1986)
"What's that? First flick was a hit you say? Make another one. What? I don't care if the story came to a 'satisfactory' conclusion. Make another one. I want that same goddamm charming family back doing charming family things while they get harrassed by spooks, people ate that crap up so more of the same. Also I want you to throw some kinda magical negro in there, y'know a wise old fella, people love that stuff. What? The Shining? Oh OK. Make it an injun then, we can have him do some native voodoo y'know, back to nature type crap, is the chief from Cuckoo's Nest still alive? Good, good. [Puts phone down, chomps on cigar, spits] Yes sir, we're gonna be rich, rich I tell ya. Hahahahaha. "

Yeah this was some totally unnecessary guff. Avoid.

#19 - In the Tall Grass (2019)
A couple driving thru middle America stop by a field of tall grass for a break and hear a boy calling for help. They go in and find themselves trapped with the boy and his parents. King adaptation for Netflix directed by Vincenzo Natali, who seems to be have been working in TV for the best part of a decade now, sadly. I liked his earlier flicks. This had me concerned it was just gonna be a bunch of people running aimlessly around a field and while it is just that, to some extent, after the first 20 mins or so I started getting into it. With the introduction of Patrick Wilson's character and some dimension/time shifting storytelling kicking in I thought it picked up nicely. It has the feel of an old King story, with the unknowable ancient evil and the temptations of the soul theme, which is kinda quaint these days. It gets terrible reviews on IMDB so I guess it's not to everyone's taste. I liked it. I also appreciated the ending in that so many flicks like this lead nowhere and often end on a "shock" downer that you almost expect it now. Not this one. Give it a try!
Jon B (13-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (15-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 08:32   #65
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,282 Posts
Some ideas from RottenTomatoes:

Best (And Worst) Horror Movies Of 2019
It’s a guide that includes new classics (Us), remakes (Pet Sematary, Child’s Play), sequels (Happy Death Day 2U), and – because they just can’t stay in their lane – superhero inversions (Brightburn). Meanwhile, we’re highlighting indie fare like The Wind and I Trapped The Devil.

150 Best Horror Movies Of All Time
There’s more mainstream maimers (Scream, The Ring), recent indies (You’re Next, Creep), Asian horror (Audition, Three…Extremes), and the ancient ones that haunt forever (Salo, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer). As for big-name directors, look out for Spielberg (Duel), De Palma (Sisters), and lots more Cronenberg (Scanners, Videodrome).
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
GPR79 (13-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 09:04   #66
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

I'm about midway through Season 14 of Supernatural at the moment. Highlight, so far, is Dean's gleeful confrontation with a Slasher villain.

I can never remember much about Poltergeist 2 apart from the amazing Tequila worm sequence.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 2 times by:
GPR79 (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 12:06   #67
eye__writ
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
I can never remember much about Poltergeist 2 apart from the amazing Tequila worm sequence.
That scene has given the film a lot of leeway in my mind over the years.

That and this fella...

GPR79 (13-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 12:12   #68
GPR79

^^ Guy was literally dying of cancer while he was filming that, no joke

Yeah the worm scene was good but it was buried in 90 mins of pure crud like...

...and the less said about the 70's Superman level flying angel finale the better.
WeaselFierce (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 13:41   #69
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 11

I watched...

Overlord (2018)

Trailer...

Really fun movie! my only disappointment was not enough zombie/horror scenes. Great gorey effects.
Game of thrones star Pilou Asbaek is great as the villian. 8 out of 10

GPR79 (13-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 14:02   #70
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 12

I watched...

Inbred (2011)

Trailer....

Good to see Alex chandon (i remember when his Drillbit and Bad karma shorts came out) still delivering good gory fun.
Yes its low budget, yes its very offensive and Yes its alot of fun! 7 out of 10

eye__writ (13-10-2019), GPR79 (13-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (13-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 19:32   #71
eye__writ
Trusted User

#11 - Haute Tension (2003)

This remains an absolute tour de force and easily Alexandre Aja’s best work, before Hollywood ruined him.

Girl friends (but not girlfriends) Alex and Marie are on a road trip through rural France and drop in to see Alex’s parents in their farmhouse. During their first night there a stranger rings the bell and all hell breaks loose.

A lot of people criticise the film for its twist and label it dishonest but I’ve never had a problem with it and think it makes sense within the logic of the film.

Even without that conceit though, this is a brutal, tense and mean spirited slasher, full of daring deaths that make the film’s killer a classic character of the genre.

I remember watching this 15 years ago in my bedroom with my brother, who would’ve been about 16 at the time, and he was hunched up in a ball, rocking himself for comfort. It’s that kind of movie and it’s unapologetic about it.

captaineyecatch (13-10-2019), GPR79 (13-10-2019), Out for Justice (14-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 20:00   #72
GPR79

Time for a Robert Forster double bill in memoriam...

#20 - Alligator (1980)
Little girl's father flushes her baby gator, 12 years later it's prowling the sewers of Chicago. Classic gatorsploitation here with semi-sleazeball cop Forster going head to head with a genetically enhanced supergator that's been eating the remains of dogs illegally experimented on by nefarious pharma researchers. Directed by Lewis Teague and scripted by John Sayles it's a step above the killer animal/Jaws ripoffs of the period. Forster is of course ace in this is a disgraced cop who takes time out from hunting the killer gator to romance the reptile expert lady, mind at this point in the flick the gator is out of the sewers causing public mayhem, but snake lady is hot so I get it. Also special mention has to go to Godfather II's Frankie Five Angels playing somewhat against type as your typical beleagured shouty police captain. The finale where the gator gatorcrashes a wedding is just outstanding. All that and Henry Silva turns up for an extended cameo as a big game hunter intent on bagging himself some new gator leather shoes. Recommended.

I heard Chicago was a dangerous city but daaaaaamn!

#21 - Supernova (2000)
Deep space paramedic ship answers a distress call from a mining operation on a rogue moon. Well turns out Forster was only in this for a bit but what the hell. I remember this being a disappointment back in the day with a troubled production history, lots of reshoots, couple of directors (Walter Hill mainly), kept on the shelf for 2 years post production, etc. It's aged well I think, I certainly enjoyed it this time. Tho I am a sucker for Event Horizon type space horror flicks and this has an interesting cast, which always helps; James Spader looking fit and muscled (damn, u seen him lately), Angela Bassett (looking fit and muscled, as always, she's 61 now y'know and still looks basically the same as she did in Critters 4 in 92!), Robin Tunney, Lou Diamond Phillips, etc. The story is somehow both basic and muddled but it's a glossy looking mess and the cast get naked at regular intervals to keep the viewers interest from waning as the "mystery" unfolds. Barely a horror, more of an action thriller. Not terrible!

Last edited by GPR79; 13-10-2019 at 20:02.
GPR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 5 times by:
eye__writ (13-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (15-10-2019), Out for Justice (14-10-2019), WeaselFierce (13-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 21:42   #73
captaineyecatch
Slatanic Wehrmacht Capt.

Day 13

I watched...

Anonymous 616 (2018)

Trailer...

Low budget indie. Not bad at all, some disturbing bits.
Lead actor is good for an indie. 6 out of 10.

eye__writ (13-10-2019), GPR79 (15-10-2019), WeaselFierce (14-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 13-10-2019, 22:03   #74
eye__writ
Trusted User

#12 - Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)

I’d heard this was like City of Men with a horror vibe and it kind of is that, but not nearly as interesting as that sounds.

I was hoping this would be the Under The Shadow for this year but it’s a super dull organised crime drama with non-committal supernatural undertones.

GPR79 (15-10-2019), WeaselFierce (14-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 14-10-2019, 09:56   #75
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

Pet Sematary (2019)
The Creed family move away from the city to the country but tragedy ensues due to the inability of the parents to heed repeated warnings regarding road safety and the use of ancient evil burial grounds in the back garden. Always been a bit 'meh' when it comes to Pet Sematary. The only thing I really recall from the original film is the fate of poor Herman Munster. This remake is a solid, well-made effort which really excels in the casting department. Jason Clarke, Amy Seimetz and John Lithgow deliver the goods as the adults but young Jeté Laurence as daughter Ellie really delivers the emotional backbone. I also found the scenes with Amy Seimetz's trauma regarding her sister Zelda particularly affecting too.
Quote:
Jud Crandall: She won't come back the same.

Quote:
#21 - Supernova (2000)
The Best Movies Never Made, mentioned above, have an episode with William Malone on his Dead Star script which branched off into Supernova. HR Giger Satan in space anyone?

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"

Last edited by WeaselFierce; 14-10-2019 at 09:57.
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (14-10-2019), GPR79 (15-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (15-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 15-10-2019, 10:11   #76
LeftHandedGuitarist
I liek Star Trek

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985)
Despite an opening sequence that promises some real creativity and fun, this first sequel in the Elm Street franchise ends up feeling cheap and ultimately boring. It's a shame that it doesn't all come together, because it is gets points for being quite different to the first film and is really a much more disturbing movie.

Freddy possessing and controlling teenager Jesse has the unfortunate effect of really diminishing Krueger himself as a menacing presence. The entire swimming pool sequence makes him look silly. The ending to Elm Street 1 isn't entirely resolved and the film feels super low budget even compared to the original, but does pull off some effective and ambitious horror sequences.

The biggest takeaway here is the impressive homosexual subtext which (whether intentional or not) dovetails so well with the plot and character arc for Jesse. It's also distracting how much Lisa looks like Meryl Streep.

The Haunting of Hill House (Netflix, 2019)
I'm a year behind on this show but better late than never. I'm glad I stuck with this after the really weak early episodes because it improves considerably. At first there were so many characters to get to grips with (in both their child and adult versions) and it took around 4 episodes for that to settle down.

Surprisingly less a horror show than it is a family drama, it did still manage to ratchet up the tension and pulled off one of the best jump scares I've ever seen (in the car, episode 8). I ended up feeling that the modern day storyline was nowhere near as interesting as the 1990s flashbacks and the show ended up going too far in the wrong direction to the detriment of the horror aspects, but it's a solid watch.
LeftHandedGuitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (15-10-2019), GPR79 (15-10-2019), WeaselFierce (15-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 15-10-2019, 10:26   #77
WeaselFierce
I am NOT an animal!!!!

The House with a Clock in Its Walls (2018)
Young orphan (Owen Vaccaro) enters into the care of his strange uncle (Jack Black) and strange companion (Cate Blanchett) in an even stranger house. Turns out they are a witch and warlock who inherited the enchanted household from their previous friend (Kyle MacLachlan) until he lost his way during WWII and set about trying to destroy the world. The child acting does fall somewhat short of the adults (Blanchett and Black bounce barbs at each other nicely) in this one but Eli Roth delivers a sumptuous, entertaining, creepy family film which managed to illicit an emotional response in me from the fate of an armchair with the stuffing ripped out of it.
Quote:
Jonathan Barnavelt: Have a look around, it's perfectly safe...
[a tentacled monster opens a door, Jonathan shoves it back]
Lewis Barnavelt: THAT's safe?
Jonathan Barnavelt: As long as it's fed.

PSN - "Weaselfierce72"
Wii-U - "Weaselfierce-U"
Thanked 4 times by:
eye__writ (15-10-2019), GPR79 (15-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (15-10-2019), werewolf (15-10-2019)
Old 15-10-2019, 16:15   #78
eye__writ
Trusted User

#13 - Hounds of Love (2016)

A tense and horrific cautionary tale against accepting lifts from strangers. This nasty little Australian horror passed me by on release but it packs a punch.

A couple in the most toxic of relationships feed off each other's anger, frustrations, insecurities and sexual perversions, with the result being that they abduct unsuspecting teenage girls in the neighbourhood.

Using the fact that people are more trusting if one of the strangers is a woman and there's a child-seat in the car, their victims get into the car willingly before being taken back to the antagonist's home, where they're drugged and abused.

For a film where nearly all of the nastiness happens off screen, this still manages to be incredibly tense and heartbreaking.

Give it a go, if you fancy a more downbeat October offering.

GPR79 (15-10-2019), LeftHandedGuitarist (15-10-2019), WeaselFierce (15-10-2019)
Old 15-10-2019, 19:43   #79
GPR79

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaselFierce View Post
The Best Movies Never Made, mentioned above, have an episode with William Malone on his Dead Star script which branched off into Supernova. HR Giger Satan in space anyone?
Cheers, gonna check this out for sure

#22 - Alligator II: The Mutation (1991)
11 years on from the original and Chicago's still got gator problems. I wasn't expecting anything at all from this but right off the bat I get Joseph Bologna as a world weary cop and Dee Wallace as his sexy scientist wife, is there a creature this woman hasn't fought on screen? Bologna wisecracks his way thru this comfortably and by the time I'm introduced to the wise guy, bad guy, land developer, mafia sleazeball played by Steve Railsback I'm in! And we've barely had any gator action at this point. The budget's been spent on hiring every character actor they can get their hands on from Toru Tanaka (impromptu wrestling bout anyone?) to Brock Peters (grouchy captain naturally) and that's fine with me. I just love watching these guys shoot the ****. But yeah there's still that big reptile problem so enter Richard Lynch!!! for the final act as the head of a specialist gator killing swamp team fresh outta the bayou. And who's he brought with him? Kane Hodder of course. That'll do, yes that'll do.
eye__writ (16-10-2019), WeaselFierce (15-10-2019)
Old 15-10-2019, 19:58   #80
wasted
Movie buff & Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPR79;10349150
[b
#22 - Alligator II: The Mutation (1991)[/b]
Watched Crawl yesterday was kinda ok if you need some more Alligator fun worth 90mins of your time.