Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Television Discussion

Old 12-02-2021, 15:57   #301
shteve
[o]EvilTwinkle

Yeah, I well I doubt the Uighur's watch many Disney films.
Old 12-02-2021, 16:16   #302
Shingster
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hood View Post
It was not the exact same thing at all. His post was basically asking why is 2020 America doing things like caging children in awful conditions like they were in 1944 Nazi Germany. Her post was suggesting that Republicans are being treated like Jews in pre-war Germany.
Let's take a look at the actual post statto's referring to, not the one you've got in your mind:

Pedro Pascal folks, November 2020.
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 16:58   #303
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Yes wasn't aware of that one. It's not great. Perhaps that is why he was keen to defend her around the same time.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 17:03   #304
Hood
HipHopPotamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
I can't see anything in that Nazi post that mentions treatment of Republicans? Did you read it? Shingster's even posted it further up this thread. Again, nobody is saying that her anti-mask, pro-Trump nuttiness is something we agree with, just that the Nazi comment which seems to be the final nail is not what it's being purported to be.
Perhaps not but I suppose if you **** off your employer numerous times, the final nail in the coffin doesn't need to be a big thing. Even more so if you are not under contract.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 17:37   #305
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Maybe it's the way I'm interpreting it but the official line, "Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future." Sounds like she was employed on a contract per season basis.
Technically she may of been in limbo between contacts so Lucasfilm have no need to fire her.

Sent from my SM-T500 using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2021, 19:19   #306
Shingster
Trusted User

Yup, apparently they’ve just decided not to renew her contract rather than fire her, so legally they should be well within their rights to do so. However to announce this decision and claiming it was reached on her comments denigrating people for their religious and cultural beliefs? Not so sure they were within their legal rights to do that.
Old 12-02-2021, 22:07   #307
Jabbitt
Quick Stop Clerk

Well that didn't take long. Corano is teaming up with the website The Daily Wire to produce, develop and star in her own film. She said,
"I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”

This is all taken from Dark Horizons which reports, Daily Wire co-founder Ben Shapiro says: “We could not be more excited to be working with Gina Carano, an incredible talent dumped by Disney and Lucasfilm for offending the authoritarian Hollywood Left. This is what Daily Wire exists to do: provide an alternative not just for consumers, but for creators who refuse to bow to the mob.”

THR did a deep dive and apparently Corano was due to get her own series announced back in December but the Election fraud tweets made Disney pull the series announcement and they've been waiting two months for a reason to let her go.

Old 12-02-2021, 22:14   #308
statto
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Yup, apparently they’ve just decided not to renew her contract rather than fire her, so legally they should be well within their rights to do so. However to announce this decision and claiming it was reached on her comments denigrating people for their religious and cultural beliefs? Not so sure they were within their legal rights to do that.
Absolutely this. I really hope that she does take legal action over the "denigrating minorities" comment. Obviously she can't get the Mandalorian gig back (nor would she want to, I'd venture) but she could get enough of a payout to make Disney pause before pulling something like this again.

EDIT: To get it back onto actual Mandalorian chat, saw this a few weeks ago and thought it was pretty cool. They could have done even better if they actually got someone who had a face that mapped to Mark Hamill's a bit better and shelled out for a half decent wig.

Last edited by statto; 12-02-2021 at 22:17.
statto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 09:20   #309
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabbitt View Post
Well that didn't take long. Corano is teaming up with the website The Daily Wire to produce, develop and star in her own film. She said,
"I am sending out a direct message of hope to everyone living in fear of cancellation by the totalitarian mob. I have only just begun using my voice which is now freer than ever before, and I hope it inspires others to do the same. They can’t cancel us if we don’t let them.”

This is all taken from Dark Horizons which reports, Daily Wire co-founder Ben Shapiro says: “We could not be more excited to be working with Gina Carano, an incredible talent dumped by Disney and Lucasfilm for offending the authoritarian Hollywood Left. This is what Daily Wire exists to do: provide an alternative not just for consumers, but for creators who refuse to bow to the mob.”

THR did a deep dive and apparently Corano was due to get her own series announced back in December but the Election fraud tweets made Disney pull the series announcement and they've been waiting two months for a reason to let her go.

Of course she would team up with Ben Shapiro's company, he is ****** person
Old 13-02-2021, 09:41   #310
Jedibitch
XBL - groovephil

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivebyfive View Post
Of course she would team up with Ben Shapiro's company, he is ****** person
A lovely little hard right film company. What could go wrong?

Have Jon Voight and Kirstie Alley signed on as well?

I didn't like you very much when I met you and now I like you even less.

The Wonder Stuff
Jedibitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 10:16   #311
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibitch View Post
A lovely little hard right film company. What could go wrong?

Have Jon Voight and Kirstie Alley signed on as well?
Maybe Dean cain and kevin sorbo can join them for Gravy team 6
Old 13-02-2021, 13:20   #312
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
When you're looking to renew a contract, I'd imagine it would be the same in any vocation, you shouldn't make yourself more trouble than you are worth.

For this series to work, you need a man in a helmet and someone to put there hand up a green baby yoda puppet (if that is how it is done).

Beyond that I imagine they can take or leave anyone in the cast.

If they really wanted to troll her, keep her character in it, "hello, I have also taken a vow to never take off my helmet."
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 14:26   #313
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,936 Times in 1,279 Posts
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 11:34   #314
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

or replace her with Don Cheadle and first line is

Look it’s me, I’m here, deal with it. Let’s move on
Old 14-02-2021, 16:30   #315
Shingster
Trusted User

I hope they replace her and keep the character going, coz let's face it she's not exactly the best actress out there and imo is easily replaced. It's crazy how over the top YouTube commentaters are going in praising her as a performer and completely essential component of The Mandalorian's success now that Disney's essentially made her a martyr for the anti-woke cause.
Old 14-02-2021, 20:01   #316
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
Yep, apparently Disney are trying to silence conservative voices. I'm old fashioned, I remember when conservative voices called for lower taxes and more spending on the military.
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 20:52   #317
Shingster
Trusted User

Yeah this is what's ****** up about the entire thing. Disney essentially dropped her from their company by calling her out as a bigot, and that has had immediate further consequences for her career with her agency dropping her as well. That's a pretty serious accusation when you think about it and Carano is completely innocent of those claims, but she's not innocent when it comes to spreading the worst kind of anti-mask, anti-COVID ******** on social media (I'm not sure how deep she went into election fraud consipiracy speak as the only tweet of hers I saw was just a generic one about the need to make sure elections are run fairly with no fraud), and because she's been heavily criticised for sharing these opinions (rightly imo), this whole affair has been entrenched in her mind and much of the anti-woke brigade as an issue of personal politics, right vs left, and Disney trying to silence her political outlook.

Disney may have reached their decision based mainly on all the anti-mask/covid/election/democrats rhetoric, I do not know, but it's certainly not the reason they gave for dropping her, so IF this was their original intent then they have effectively been heavily influenced by the twitter progressive mob and "silenced" her by weaponising the movement towards trans-rights and racial equality. This is only going to embolden the ultra-woke campaigners who will double their efforts ten fold now that they've gotten their first real high-profile scalp. If things continue to go in this direction then you have to wonder who's gonna be next? Carano was an easy target, Rowling probably not so easy but also an easy-ish target to criticise at least (but like Joe Rogan she's got "**** you" money so hard to properly take down). Will they go after a Chris Pratt at some point I wonder? (And by they I mean the twitterati, not Disney, but obviously Disney will be the ultimate end point).

Articles like this are a pretty fascinating and a teeny bit scary indicator of things to come and how the focus will be fully on Disney going forward! If you felt that Star Wars was too woke before (and I personally never have tbh), then strap yourself in! (hopefully Disney will just ride this out and hope the attention will go away after a few weeks of dust settling has occurred)

Last edited by Shingster; 14-02-2021 at 22:22.