Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 29-04-2016, 19:01   #41
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showdon1975 View Post
I wonder if anyones views would change if it were The Directors Cuts of both movies?

Aliens DC fleshed out the story much more than the theatrical cut did. but was not impressed with the DC of Alien.
Good point and it does cause some swaying viewpoints. I also felt that the DC of Alien spoilt the original but because of one scene only - Ripley's awkward descent down the ladder into the cocoon chamber. Apart from being badly shot and unnecessary, it also varies from Cameron's version of the Aliens' lifecycle, which I much prefer.

But the few added scenes at the beginning of Alien - Lambert's explanation of LV426 for example, do fit in well.

I have mixed feelings about the brief glimpse of the Alien hanging high up on the chains as Brett enters the chamber. On the whole it should probably have been omitted.

Also, I would have preferred the DC-omitted additional lines of conversation between Ripley and Ash while the others were out exploring the derelict spaceship to have been left intact. Though brief, it gives the viewer a better insight into both characters.

All the included scenes in the SE of Aliens definitely fleshed-out that film. By showing the colonists in those brief scenes, it was easier for the viewer to imagine the carnage wrought by the Aliens. And I love those Robot Sentry Guns.

Comparing the DC of Alien with SE of Aliens only, IMO the former still edges it, but only just.

As for Alien3, all I can say is that the cow version is less crappy than the dog version.

Last edited by Raigmore; 29-04-2016 at 19:02.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 19:02   #42
The Bear
Old-gold and black member

Thanked 1,711 Times in 591 Posts
Just been having a discussion about horror films with a friend and this question came up:

Which would you say is more of a horror film, Alien or Aliens?

I'm assuming the former.

Last edited by The Bear; 29-04-2016 at 19:04.
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 19:10   #43
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Alien, without question. It is a genuine horror film with the feeling of "something very powerful and dangerous is around the corner". The cinematography with the eerie shadows and dark recesses matches it.

Aliens is not a horror film at all but an action-adventure one. First off, we know all about the Alien creature and its prowess. This is augmented by the fact that despite their cocky nonchalance, the Space Marines knew what to expect unlike the crew of Nostromo. Lastly, Vasquez et al proved in the first half of the film that the Aliens can be killed by hand held weapons.
Old 29-04-2016, 21:04   #44
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post
Just been having a discussion about horror films with a friend and this question came up:

I'm assuming the former.
Alien definitely a horror, not only is the Alien a problem but the crews surroundings also work against them. They cannot really hurt the creature for fear of damaging ship so that limits their options. Just look at one little cut to a face hugger leg did.

Aliens however, they went in tooled up with little to no knowledge about their surroundings. What worked against them was the stupidity/inexperience of their lieutenant.

I for one if stranded on LV426 and had to wait 17 days or so for a rescue, would have got into the nearest vehicle and headed away from Hadleys Hope putting as much distance between me and the aliens as possible. I know they mostly come at night... mostly; but I doubt they'd stray too far from the queen looking for people to chew on.

I certainly would not of held up in the same place as the last lot hoping 4 sentry guns with 500 rounds each would do the job
Spaceranger2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 19:08   #45
Soprano
Walking the line

I see them both very different, which is a little silly I know. But Alien is a horror and Aliens is an action movie.

Both are superb. I mean, two of the very best Hollywood has created and will be loved 30+ years from now.
Old 01-05-2016, 08:29   #46
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceranger2001 View Post
I for one if stranded on LV426 and had to wait 17 days or so for a rescue, would have got into the nearest vehicle and headed away from Hadleys Hope putting as much distance between me and the aliens as possible. I know they mostly come at night... mostly; but I doubt they'd stray too far from the queen looking for people to chew on.

I certainly would not of held up in the same place as the last lot hoping 4 sentry guns with 500 rounds each would do the job
Reading Alan Dean Foster's book on Aliens suggests that they probably had a few more options had they stopped to consider, including the one you suggest. Events thus far suggested that aliens usually did not stray too far from their habitat (but they did once, from the spaceship to the colony, following Russ Jorden's trail); also, in the book Hicks feels that the aliens did not seem to like fighting out in the open.

But on the flipside you have to remember that Ripley and the others were shell-shocked from the death of most of their colleagues and the sheer scale of the problem they faced. They would not be in any condition to think clearly and their instinct would have been to find as secure a shelter as soon as possible, in this case central operations within the colony itself. Furthermore, they would not be able to search for a serviceable, fully-fuelled vehicle in unfamiliar, ravaged surroundings with darkness closing in and the risk of another attack imminent.

In actuality all this speculation is purely academic. Since the crash of the dropship into the colony complex had overloaded the nuclear reactor, the eventual explosion (the size of Nebraska!) would have killed them anyway even if they were far away from the colony and spaceship.

Last edited by Raigmore; 01-05-2016 at 08:31.
Old 28-08-2020, 18:34   #47
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

It seems the woke horde; desperate to protect us from any independent thought or insult at the cost of our sanity has taken Aliens as its victim.

Question - What are the "Outdated attitudes, language and culteral depictions" that this film has which may cause offense?

The pontang line? maybe

FFS these people need to get a grip.
Old 28-08-2020, 18:49   #48
Shingster
Trusted User

Never heard such comments made about it, but I assume they're moaning about the hoo-rah macho marines? Is there a particular article or critic or Youtube commentator non-entity slagging it off?
Shingster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 20:24   #49
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingster View Post
Never heard such comments made about it, but I assume they're moaning about the hoo-rah macho marines? Is there a particular article or critic or Youtube commentator non-entity slagging it off?
Its on the sky movies thumbnail, Flash Gordon has a warning too and so does the Goonies
Old 28-08-2020, 20:55   #50
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

However alien 3 with its all male prison is all fine and dandy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 22:10   #51
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

Quote:
Its on the sky movies thumbnail, Flash Gordon has a warning too and so does the Goonies
So what? Why does it offend you that some people, normally of a different generation, might find things offensive that you don’t?

Our parents found it odd that my generation found Benny Hill or Mind Your Language offensive- attitudes change!

It’s not like anyone’s stopping you watching Aliens.

I recently tried to relive my childhood by watching Davey Crocket on Disney+ , that had a warning. Should I have written an angry letter?

Last edited by AndyWilson; 28-08-2020 at 22:11.
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
bronso (30-08-2020)
Old 28-08-2020, 22:16   #52
Wowbagger
Don't tell him, Pike

Quote:
Question - What are the "Outdated attitudes, language and culteral depictions" that this film has which may cause offense?
Apparently it's because Paxton's line 'Game over, man' is spoken in a scene that contains persons not assigned male genders at birth. And because Ripley refers to a female not of her own race as a bitch.

It was a time bomb waiting to explode.
Wowbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 22:57   #53
Spaceranger2001
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post
So what? Why does it offend you that some people, normally of a different generation, might find things offensive that you don’t?

Our parents found it odd that my generation found Benny Hill or Mind Your Language offensive- attitudes change!

I recently tried to relive my childhood by watching Davey Crocket on Disney+ , that had a warning. Should I have written an angry letter?
Of course they are not stopping me watching it, but the warning is so vague it could cover any movie.

If people think this sort of thing is going to make the world a better place; keep dreaming. They're solving problems that don't exist.
Old 29-08-2020, 07:16   #54
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
I guess someone writes a letter or tweets and they add a warning. I was thinking of doing it for a laugh, see what I can pull apart from the past.

Swallows and Amazons - Why does the Mother ask permission of the father to let the kids go camping?
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 07:17   #55
allan
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWilson View Post

No, but you could email them and tell them how ridiculous that is.
allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 08:57   #56
AndyWilson
--------old-geek

But just because you or I find it ridiculous doesn't mean other people aren't offended.

Like I said - lots of older (than me) people find suggestions that the Black and White Minstrels are racist ridiculous. How seriously should we take those views in 2020?

Attitudes change, and in 50 years time they're gong to be different to now, just as our attitudes are different to those in 1970.

Most of us here will be dead then anyway...
AndyWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 10:44   #57
allan
Trusted User

Then we might as well put a disclaimer in front of every single film ever made as no doubt someone somewhere will find something to get offended by.
Old 29-08-2020, 11:12   #58
jockosjungle
Alone in the Atlantic

Thanked 1,313 Times in 925 Posts
Yes probably, these newer generations can seem to find offence in anything. Getting a film disclaimer on netflix because Ripley calls the female alien a bitch or it is seen laying eggs and directly taking a shot at transgender women who cannot procreate, is far easier than doing something really constructive
jockosjungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:21   #59
allan
Trusted User

Maybe these snowflakes should just have signs everywhere saying "caution, offence ahead" and that way they can at least prepare themselves for the fact that in life they will find things they don't like or agree with.
Old 29-08-2020, 11:45   #60
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I am watching mannequin and they refer to a gay man as a fairy!
And that is 12pm on itv!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote