Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 21-03-2015, 15:41   #121
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastlander View Post
Are you trying to say it wasn't a red card?
I'm not saying that, but the BBC thought it was dubious.
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 15:57   #122
Rob
Indie Author

Clear penalty, last man brought Bony down, but obviously the wrong man got sent off.

Expected the win and that was all important, regardless of performance. I'm yet to be convinced by Fernando, but he scored and set one up, so well done today.
Bony played well today, but yet again, Silva was the standout.

With West Brom's organised defence, it required a bit of quick movement in and around the box and Bony, Aguero and Navas provided a lot of that today - we need to play at that speed far more often.

Navas has taken a bit of stick this season, but if you watch, he gets the ball in the box more often that not - I think that generally, we don't have enough players (or in some cases none) attacking balls in the box - that's not the winger's fault.
Old 21-03-2015, 16:04   #123
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
I'm not saying that, but the BBC thought it was dubious.
There was nothing dubious about it. It was as clear a last man challenge as you will ever see - someone had to go, preferably the right man, but the referee had no option but to show the red card.

It completely ruined the game, but it wasn't wrong - even with video replay there'd be a red card in that situation.
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 16:09   #124
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Yeah I should point out I originally meant the ref's identity crisis - it was a definite red, but preferably for the right person. It seems to be happening more and more.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 16:11   #125
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Navas has taken a bit of stick this season, but if you watch, he gets the ball in the box more often that not - I think that generally, we don't have enough players (or in some cases none) attacking balls in the box - that's not the winger's fault.
Kind of agree with that, but he hits the first man with probably 7 out of 10 crosses - I think that affects the confidence of the strikers, who tend to hang back and wait for either a cutback or maybe a deflection on the cross.

I do like Navas but don't think he's quite good enough for us. Mancini famously didn't want to sign him remember as he said he had no end product, and I think over his City career so far that's been proven to be (largely) the case.

On another note, I am really disappointed with how we've treated Jovetic - he looks a real sparky player to me, and always seems to make something happen if we get him the ball...
Old 21-03-2015, 16:12   #126
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Yeah I should point out I originally meant the ref's identity crisis - it was a definite red, but preferably for the right person. It seems to be happening more and more.
I don't really remember it ever happening before until just recently, and now there seems to be one every couple of months...

Those two do look very similar though (is it racist to say that? )
Old 21-03-2015, 16:35   #127
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
I don't really remember it ever happening before until just recently, and now there seems to be one every couple of months...

Those two do look very similar though (is it racist to say that? )
Yeah and the Arsenal one last season. Twice in a season already is just ridiculous.
Old 21-03-2015, 17:47   #128
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Kind of agree with that, but he hits the first man with probably 7 out of 10 crosses - I think that affects the confidence of the strikers, who tend to hang back and wait for either a cutback or maybe a deflection on the cross.

I do like Navas but don't think he's quite good enough for us. Mancini famously didn't want to sign him remember as he said he had no end product, and I think over his City career so far that's been proven to be (largely) the case.

On another note, I am really disappointed with how we've treated Jovetic - he looks a real sparky player to me, and always seems to make something happen if we get him the ball...
Navas has 7 assists this season, which is better than any other City player.
I don't think he's a definite first team selection, but for the money we paid and because of his speed, he's a worthwhile squad member.

I agree about Jovetic - I think that he and Mangala are worth persevering with because they don't play enough and we certainly haven't seen the best of them. When he does play, Jovetic is always trying for something special - if the manager told him he was going to have a definite 4 or 5 game run, I reckon he'd settle and produce plenty of assists.
Old 21-03-2015, 17:55   #129
MICON
Trusted User

It was a red. the problem is they are not always given that early in the game. For some reason ref's often don't seem to give yellows out for the first 20 or so minutes. A perfect example was the United City game where at least one City player could have easily gone in the first 25 minutes. This is what I dislike, the inconsistency. Video replays should be in & decisions could be made in seconds. If for some reason it is not clear cut then the ref's decision is final.
Old 21-03-2015, 19:13   #130
Rob
Indie Author

What I don't understand is why the two West Brom players didn't get together with the ref and explain who made the foul.
Old 21-03-2015, 20:58   #131
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
It was a red. the problem is they are not always given that early in the game. For some reason ref's often don't seem to give yellows out for the first 20 or so minutes. A perfect example was the United City game where at least one City player could have easily gone in the first 25 minutes. This is what I dislike, the inconsistency. Video replays should be in & decisions could be made in seconds. If for some reason it is not clear cut then the ref's decision is final.
But in this case, a video replay would have still delivered a red card (albeit to the correct player admittedly), and I don't think anyone thinks it's a good idea to stop the play at every foul to see if someone should have got a yellow in the first 20 minutes? That's why we have referees.

Obviously the reason they sometimes go easy on yellows early on the is the ref is trying to manage the situation, and it should always be their goal to finish 11 v 11.

An incident like this, there's simply no leeway in the rules, and nor should there be.

I think that part of the game is fine the way it is, and I'd rather see the ref try and keep his cards in his pocket, seen too many games ruined.

That said, I think video replay for goals and penalties is viable, but not for red cards as an element of it is subjective. They can be reviewed after the game when there is more time and the pressure is off.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:21   #132
MICON
Trusted User

I disagree a yellow is a yellow at any stage of the game, if a player decides to go in with a dirty or cynical foul in the first 20 minutes, then they should get a yellow or red card. The reason their team went down to ten men or less would be their fault, & not the fault of the ref. As for the red yesterday, there has been games this season & last, where the last man foul did not get sent off, so by that reasoning you could say neither should the West Brom player.
Old 22-03-2015, 08:42   #133
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Obviously the reason they sometimes go easy on yellows early on the is the ref is trying to manage the situation, and it should always be their goal to finish 11 v 11.

An incident like this, there's simply no leeway in the rules, and nor should there be.

I think that part of the game is fine the way it is, and I'd rather see the ref try and keep his cards in his pocket, seen too many games ruined..
IMHO that is complete nonsense.

A ref's only job is to apply the rules of the game consistently. And if that means a game finishes 9 v 11 or whatever then that is fine by me. There is also NOTHING n the rules whichs says when you can / can't send players off or book them despite the likes of Sky implying there is.

The only shocking thing about yesterday ( other than the wrong player being sent off - which given how **** the refs have been for ages isn't that shocking ) is just how rare an early red is.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 22-03-2015 at 10:04.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 08:48   #134
LouBarlow
Retired Member

In agreement totally with Adam. Not said that for a while!
Old 08-04-2015, 09:58   #135
Grunge
Trusted User

I think I just saw some tumble weed!.

Well what can we say. We're really not doing to well at the moment. A lot of players under performing and the defence is shocking at the moment, while I think we dominated against CP we just couldn't convert it into a win.

While i've said all along its Chelsea's this year I can see them losing a few points with having to play United, Liverpool and Arsenal I just can see anyone catching them, And if someone does it wont be us. the Battle for 2nd/3rd/4th could be interesting though.
Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:09   #136
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,023 Times in 594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
I think I just saw some tumble weed!.

Well what can we say. We're really not doing to well at the moment. A lot of players under performing and the defence is shocking at the moment, while I think we dominated against CP we just couldn't convert it into a win.

While i've said all along its Chelsea's this year I can see them losing a few points with having to play United, Liverpool and Arsenal I just can see anyone catching them, And if someone does it wont be us. the Battle for 2nd/3rd/4th could be interesting though.
Weird goings on at City, it's almost like the players know they won't catch Chelsea so they've given up.

Having said that, I fully expect it to be different on Sunday...
Old 08-04-2015, 11:33   #137
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

It will be different on Sunday no doubt. Aguero is due a goal or two.
Fever Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 19:21   #138
Grunge
Trusted User

City under 18s are on itv4 at the moment.
Old 12-04-2015, 16:40   #139
Grunge
Trusted User

No surprises and dispite 2 off side goals United are deserving the win. Totally out playing us at the moment.

Last edited by Grunge; 12-04-2015 at 16:41.
Old 12-04-2015, 17:32   #140
saltysam
Trusted User

Where's Citysmith these days?
saltysam is offline   Reply With Quote