Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 20-05-2015, 12:55   #221
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
Isn't that exactly what LVG did?
MICON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 14:11   #222
Flap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
This coming from the Read Admiral of arrogance is high praise indeed.

Milner's playing a major role at a top 4 club and has 2 league winners medals in the last 4 seasons.

Deal with it.
Rob, dunno how you keep responding to this guy
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 16:33   #223
Rob
Indie Author

I don't always, I just thought that this was a particularly inane comment even by his low standards.
Old 21-05-2015, 07:03   #224
Grunge
Trusted User

Well 2nd place is guaranteed, good going seeing as we were looking at dropping out of the top 4 the other week.
Grunge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 11:05   #225
Rob
Indie Author

We've had a good finish to the season where United, Arsenal and Liverpool have all faltered. 2nd place is not a bad result in itself, it's just disappointing that we were out of the title race as early as March.
Old 21-05-2015, 11:34   #226
Flap

Very happy with second considering the run we went on throughout January / February!
Flap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 15:47   #227
Eastlander
Trusted User

I cannot make up my mind about Pellegrini - was convinced he was done after our pathetic attempt at a derby, but since then he's changed the formation, allowed the defensive lineup to be more settled and stopped playing a quite so dangerously high line (all things the fans were screaming for) and the results have been great and performances improving.

If we continue down that path next season with two or three quality additions (made easier with no FFP restrictions) I'm leaning towards sticking with him?

Whatever went wrong from New Year's Day to April we may never know, but there are rumours it wasn't down to Pellegrini and was player related with personal issues affecting the squad... If that is the case I have more sympathy for him.

I would keep Yaya and Nasri and still think Milner stays. He has no legitimate reason to want to leave IMO - big money on offer, and he can have no complaints about his game time this year. I think we should buy a winger, a fullback and either Pogba or Koke and leave it at that. Let Aguero, Bony and Iheanacho be our strikers. Sell Jovetic and Dzeko. And maybe Fernando if we sign a decent centre midfielder.

Maybe we should also look at a young central defender to replace Demichelis in a year, but there seem to be high hopes around Denayer and Rekik so maybe even that is unnecessary? We seem to have some exciting talent almost ready for the first team, would be nice to see them have room to break through.

Oh, also sell Caballero and find an English back up for Hart.
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 20:56   #228
Rob
Indie Author

Can't understand why Milner and Fernandinho were not permanent fixtures, but like you say, whatever the reason, Pellegrini has now found the right combination and it's worked a treat. Playing Silva as a second striker and adding a bit more solidity in the midfield has been the way that we've got the best results all season - I just hope that we stick to this blueprint next August. If so, I'm happy to stick with Manuel.

Don't agree about Yaya and Nasri - I'd get rid of both. Neither have right attitude enough of the time and Nasri's performance away to Barcelona was nothing short of a disgrace and I've gone right off him ever since. He's scored some important goals and turned a few matches for us, but he doesn't do enough for me. Yaya's one of the best players we've ever had and as he showed last week, he can still do it when he wants to, but again, that's not very often these days.

If we keep them and they put in the shifts, great, but I don't see it happening.

A lot has been said about Denayer and Rekik, so you would think it was sensible to start playing at least one of them next season.

Last edited by Rob; 22-05-2015 at 21:04.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 22:38   #229
Grunge
Trusted User

Youth wise I would promote bredan barker too, fast tricky left winger which is something we don't have, pozo could also start getting some more game time as silvas understudy.

I honestly think we should do similar to arsenal and play the youth team in one of the cups.
Old 23-05-2015, 10:21   #230
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
I honestly think we should do similar to arsenal and play the youth team in one of the cups.
How about the Champions League - they couldn't do too much worse than the first team and we'd have Silva, Aguero etc fresh for the league matches
Old 23-05-2015, 15:36   #231
Eastlander
Trusted User

Quote:
How about the Champions League - they couldn't do too much worse than the first team and we'd have Silva, Aguero etc fresh for the league matches
Realize you are joking, but I agree with Pellegrini on this, our CL 'failures' have been completely overblown - we've lost to Barcelona twice in the knockout phase, that can happen to literally any team (except Barcelona )

Our group performance this year was alarming at times, but we got through it and that was all that mattered (thanks Nasri!) - CL is a difficult competition because the odds have literally been stacked against us due to the seeding rules (and some bad 'luck' in the random draws).

I've seen Juve used as a stick to beat us with - how did they make the final etc, but they had an easier draw playing a flailing Dortmund in the round of 16 and then Monaco in the quarters - we'd have had a real chance there.

And our recent history against Real Madrid has been okay... So who knows what could have happened under that scenario.
Eastlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 15:53   #232
Rob
Indie Author

Great performance to end the season.

In addition to Frank Lampard, early exits and standing ovations for Yaya and Milner, so I guess that's that then!
Old 27-05-2015, 17:42   #233
Rob
Indie Author

The BBC have a feature on the best 10 goals in FA Cup finals.
Glad to see that they've included the often overlooked stunner from Steve Mackenzie in the 1981 replay - the best goal that I've ever seen live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32834812
Old 04-06-2015, 19:43   #234
Rob
Indie Author

Sad to see Milner go - I wish him all the best at Liverpool. If half of the squad had shown the passion that he had last season, things might have turned out differently.
Also got our goal of the season I reckon with his last minute free kick against Hull.

Let's hope this is true: according to the Telegraph, Lopes, Denayer or Iheanacho are due to be promoted to the first team squad next season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Nigerian.html
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56   #235
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Sad to see Milner go - I wish him all the best at Liverpool. If half of the squad had shown the passion that he had last season, things might have turned out differently.
Also got our goal of the season I reckon with his last minute free kick against Hull.
Very much agree with this, While Im disappointed he has gone I wish him all the best, he obviously wants more game time over. Im sure he will do well at Liverpool and probably score a few against us next season!.

Quote:
Let's hope this is true: according to the Telegraph, Lopes, Denayer or Iheanacho are due to be promoted to the first team squad next season.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/foo...-Nigerian.html
This would be excellent if it happens. we really need to start getting the youth players through.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:32   #236
rooster
Pig Farm Owner

Denayer was superb this year at Celtic for a 19 yr old he has a lot of potential , really wanted to see him stay another year. Replaced him with Boyata who doesnt seem to have had much game time but hopefully decent enough player.
Old 05-06-2015, 20:05   #237
Rob
Indie Author

That's good to hear. I've heard a lot about Denayer but haven't seen him play, but you would think that our owners would want to start getting some academy lads in the first team squad.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:16   #238
Grunge
Trusted User

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/

Khaldoon's post season talk is now on the website, its a good and frank speech ( only half way through it so far) and he gives Milner a good goodbye.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:48   #239
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/

Khaldoon's post season talk is now on the website, its a good and frank speech ( only half way through it so far) and he gives Milner a good goodbye.
A good watch as usual. He did indeed give Milner a good sendoff, quoting that he'll never be forgotten at Manchester City plus some other kind words that went beyond what you'd expect of a man in his position.

I thought that he was more evasive on the progress of players through to academy, or should I say non-committal on whether we'd be seeing any in the first team next season. The point about identifying where there were gaps in the system, taking into account all of the age groups was enlightening, but he was quite frank when he said that he was not going to compromise the first team for the sake of bringing players in.

Finally, it does sound like he's warming up the proverbial war chest for some major signings this year. I think we might have to settle for 2nd or 3rd options in some of those positions, but as usual, it'll be an interesting watch this summer.
Old 15-06-2015, 18:50   #240
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Bloody nice article in the Daily Mail of all places

Well worth a few minutes of any Manchester City fans time

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...t-club-on.html

This summer is gonna be