Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gaming Forums > Video Games Forum

Old 19-02-2014, 22:28   #341
RichB
XBL Gamertag: FiniteRich

I've come to terms with having the weaker console in the same way i came to terms with turning into a miserable middle aged git

Denial. Anger. Sadness. Acceptance
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:28   #342
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelius View Post
Seriously? Is this what this forum is going to be now?

I can certainly understand the satisfaction of playing a game at its best. For some, that means expensive PC's, for others, selecting the best console version.

It's also true that, last gen, it meant 360 owners would generally enjoy the best game and, this gen, PS4 owners will.

But it shouldn't be satisfying to the point that you feel the immature need to point it out every post you can.

I think you will find that most of the people on this forum haven't spent last gen just counting pixels. We've enjoyed lots of games over the last generation. And those of us with only one console mostly enjoyed games fine whether it was the best version or not. When I got FFXIII on my 360, I didn't lose any sleep over the fact the PS3 version was better. So what?

But now people are feeling very clever with their: "Another game has more pixels on the PS4!" and then the killer follow up: "Of course, now people who (are silly enough to) play on an XBox are going to say resolution doesn't matter". It's like there is a lot of pent up angst and "butthurtness" around.

Is this still a gaming forum? Do we want it to be a gaming community which enjoys games together rather than spend all its time trying to belittle or provoke those who own another system?

I know it's the norm on "the internet". And yes, I remember the fanboy wars between C64 owners (I was one) and those owning a Speccy, or between Atari and Amiga. The question is, is this place like the rest of the net then? If so, I don't think it is that compelling to visit...

Now you can shoot me down for being a sanctimonious old fart.

Wendelius
Old 19-02-2014, 22:30   #343
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I've come to terms with having the weaker console in the same way i came to terms with turning into a miserable middle aged git

The only ones that don't seem to have come to terms with it are the PS4 owners
Old 19-02-2014, 22:31   #344
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by platty View Post
The only ones that don't seem to have come to terms with it are the PS4 owners
...and they're off again!
Guest 23929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:33   #345
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRW View Post
...and they're off again!
Eh , I was merely pointing out that nobody gives a toss
Old 19-02-2014, 22:34   #346
lentini
now with added cymbals

Quote:

I can certainly understand the satisfaction of playing a game at its best. For some, that means expensive PC's, for others, selecting the best console version.

It's also true that, last gen, it meant 360 owners would generally enjoy the best game and, this gen, PS4 owners will.

But it shouldn't be satisfying to the point that you feel the immature need to point it out every post you can.

I think you will find that most of the people on this forum haven't spent last gen just counting pixels. We've enjoyed lots of games over the last generation. And those of us with only one console mostly enjoyed games fine whether it was the best version or not. When I got FFXIII on my 360, I didn't lose any sleep over the fact the PS3 version was better. So what?

But now people are feeling very clever with their: "Another game has more pixels on the PS4!" and then the killer follow up: "Of course, now people who (are silly enough to) play on an XBox are going to say resolution doesn't matter". It's like there is a lot of pent up angst and "butthurtness" around.

Is this still a gaming forum? Do we want it to be a gaming community which enjoys games together rather than spend all its time trying to belittle or provoke those who own another system?

I know it's the norm on "the internet". And yes, I remember the fanboy wars between C64 owners (I was one) and those owning a Speccy, or between Atari and Amiga. The question is, is this place like the rest of the net then? If so, I don't think it is that compelling to visit...

Wendelius
lentini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:39   #347
platty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentini View Post
Old 19-02-2014, 22:47   #348
toffee
GBV

Re: The XBox One Thread Pt3 - discuss!

Quote:
Yeah quite right. Bang on.

Oh.....hang on. C64 owner? **** YOU!
toffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:48   #349
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Quote:

Wendelius
great post
fivebyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:52   #350
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

If we can't bicker about games consoles with strangers on the Internet then we're the worst geeks in the world. The only thing more fun than playing on them is talking / arguing about them.

And it's not belittling... Lots of us own consoles and PCs and have options. All things being equal in price I'll buy the game which performs best, so I'm interested in which version has the most pixels / frame rate.

Last edited by rustybin; 19-02-2014 at 22:54.
rustybin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 23:01   #351
RichB

Won't somebody think of the children!?
Old 19-02-2014, 23:01   #352
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:

Wendelius
To me, that would have read a lot better if you hadn't accused everyone you don't agree with of 'butthurtness' (whatever that is) and 'pent up angst'. You could have made your point without being passive aggressive and so, at the same time, completely undermining your main point. Nice one

Last edited by KRW; 19-02-2014 at 23:08.
Old 19-02-2014, 23:04   #353
T4V
PSN=The4thViewer XBL=t4v

Quote:
**** the children, this is war!

.....Actually can I re-word that?
T4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 23:08   #354
Wendelius
XBox Live: Wendelius

Well, that didn't go down as bad as I expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
And for those who want to get into the 'wars' side of it, there is always the Next Gen Console thread... http://forums.thedigitalfix.com/foru...09#post9965709
Yep. That's a pretty good thread to specifically compare the consoles. The endless chrous in this one is a bit tiresome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
If we can't bicker about games consoles with strangers on the Internet then we're the worst geeks in the world. The only thing more fun than playing on them is talking / arguing about them.
Ha! You might have a point there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
And it's not belittling... Lots of us own consoles and PCs and have options. All things being equal in price I'll buy the game which performs best, so I'm interested in which version has the most pixels / frame rate.
Ah, but see. I'm totally with you there. I think it's fine to know which version is the best (I read the DF head to heads. I just don't wade into the comment ****storms afterwards). As I said, if you have a choice, why not play the best version? A bit of ribbing is also fair game. I think it's just gone beyond that and now. And... well, see my post.

Quote:
And Poor Microsoft! A company is at steak!

Wendelius

Last edited by Wendelius; 19-02-2014 at 23:12.
Wendelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 23:09   #355
Wendelius

Quote:

I know how that feels. On both counts.

Wendelius
Old 19-02-2014, 23:11   #356
Wendelius

Quote:
To me, that would have read a lot better if you hadn't accused everyone you don't agree with of 'butthurtness' (whatever that is) and 'pent up angst'. You could have made your point without being passive aggressive and so, at the same time, completely undermining your main point. Nice one
Ah, fair point. I don't know how else to express how the attitude of those who post this kind of stuff again and again feels though.

But I hope it doesn't completely undermine the "Can't we all just get along" hippie message.

Wendelius
Old 19-02-2014, 23:20   #357
Guest 23929
Xbox - KaRW/ PSN KaRW1

Quote:
Ah, fair point. I don't know how else to express how the attitude of those who post this kind of stuff again and again feels though.

But I hope it doesn't completely undermine the "Can't we all just get along" hippie message.

Wendelius
It works both ways though. I sometimes think I'll go mad if I read one more post moaning about the DS4 and the 'stick being in the wrong place' and the battery life etc, but I don't think they've got any other agenda asides from expressing an opinion which we're all allowed to do. That some people express it more than others, well, it's a forum for it. Better here than on the street to strangers, I suppose.

I think we all do get along. No-one should take any of this stuff seriously. If there was any nastiness intended by anyone, I'd have stopped coming here a long time ago. Let's all have a nice hug.

Last edited by KRW; 19-02-2014 at 23:21.
Old 19-02-2014, 23:23   #358
reecie
Gamertag: Reecie

Quote:
Let's all have a nice hug.
You can all party up. Oh wait they don't work properly on XB1 and there's more of you in higher resolution on PS4
reecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 00:03   #359
RichB

1080p gamerpics on xbox one beatch!

And achievement tiles too when i think about it!
Old 20-02-2014, 05:30   #360
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I feel so warm inside right now I might just buy an X1 with my back pay due tomorrow

You're right though Wend, let's resolve the resolution issue right now. Let it not be mentioned again.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote