Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 12-09-2013, 15:37   #141
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,846 Times in 643 Posts
Can you access the site via the server front-end? Creating backups via the server directly is a lot quicker than using FTP (as i've painfully found out recently...)
You wouldn't need to backup the wp-content directory (which I would assume accounts for 99% of the space) as that would be the photographs, I presume. You'd just need to backup the themes and plugins, and of course, the database. (and the core WP install, but so long as you know the version, you can always download a fresh copy, if needed).

I'd create a /test directory, 'test' database, then you can mirror the site and not worry about breaking anything - its its own sandbox.

Last edited by Chris Locke; 12-09-2013 at 15:38.
Chris Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Psycho (12-09-2013)
Old 12-09-2013, 16:03   #142
Psycho
Trusted User

I'm just about to go away for a week and I'm holding off touching it until I return, just in case it all goes wrong.

Once I get back and have a good look at what needs updating and sorting out, then I'll report back.

Cheers,

Psycho
Trader Feedback: Trader Feedback Thread
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 16:27   #143
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,846 Times in 643 Posts
Xampp is also useful in this situation - but could be a weird tool to crack a weird nut. Its a local php server, so you can work on the site locally. You wouldn't need to download the full 3 GB, as you'd just need a few photos to prove a point, etc, but 'could' work. I think working in a /test directory is the better option though.
Chris Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:26   #144
Scottola
Plok!tastic

I'm trying to make the links point to specific parts of my site if you were to search 'baypromoteam' on Google

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=su...-US%3Aofficial

At the moment, the index it shows is a mish mash of different places on my site, but I'd like to point it to specific places, but I'm really struggling to understand how to do it properly or indeed if you can.

Also I'm a bit stumped with my fancybox plugin, it seems to have stopped working when I'm using a mobile device and just sends you to a single image page when you click on an image. I've turned all my other plugins off, uninstalled, reinstalled, but no joy. Has anyone had this before? www.baypromoteam.co.uk is my site.

Cheers
Old 17-09-2013, 07:09   #145
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,292 Posts
Quote:
At the moment, the index it shows is a mish mash of different places on my site, but I'd like to point it to specific places, but I'm really struggling to understand how to do it properly or indeed if you can.
Yes - I've seen this happen on one of my own sites, and for a while there was even a dummy test page showing up ! I've not seen any articles discussing how to customise this, but will keep an eye out. You can however add your avatar/photo to the results - either manually or of course with a plugin - AuthorSure.
Quote:
fancybox plugin, it seems to have stopped working when I'm using a mobile device and just sends you to a single image page when you click on an image.
This is quite specific - are you uptodate ? Have you asked on the plugin's WP page support tab ? The fact that it only happens on mobiles suggests it might be a responsive feature of your theme ?

Good site, by the way. Did you develop your own mobile apps ?

One thing I did spot - the whole thumbnail gallery appears 4 times on this page - http://baypromoteam.co.uk/herne-bay-...52551894825918 . But I must add that the thumbnails/lightbox is really v.slick - I'm not usually a fan of these cos of the delays watching the spinner as images load, but none of that here - any tips ?
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 07:21   #146
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Good roundup of recent free themes - NOUpe

A premium theme now being given away free by its pro-developer - 'Unique' from ThemeHybrid

EDIT
Non-wordpress, but some amazing 'bleeding edge' examples of website design & page navigation - Creative Bloq

Last edited by driver8; 17-09-2013 at 07:29.
Old 17-09-2013, 13:47   #147
mikthe20
Trusted User

Been enjoying some of the tips on here and about time I contributed.

I'm pretty ropey with CSS and have been struggling to customise some themes. Discovered Microthemer last week, which is a plug-in and allows you to alter the design of a theme/plugin without coding, just with a visual interface.

Effectively, what you do is activate Microthemer and then it opens your web site. You then double click on whatever item you want to alter (eg. text, buttons, etc) and you can change colours, fonts, etc and it alters the CSS. I reckon it's saved me several days of work this month.

Downside is that it costs money (although it's British). There's a discount code for a developer license for $39 so not too bad considering the time it's saved me. Link: http://themeover.com/microthemer/

Hope this helps someone. (I have no connection to Microthemer BTW).
mikthe20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (17-09-2013)
Old 17-09-2013, 18:38   #148
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

interesting, mikthe20 - thanks. I've been reading a lot about WP these last 12 months and this really doesn't ring any bells - I don't think I've come across any articles about it at all. (Unless it's just the fact that it's not free ... !)

A quick google finds some discussion here (Artisteer) and apparently a similar-ish thing is avalable on CodeCanyon for $25 - Visual Composer - be v.interesting to see a side-by-side comparison review.
Old 18-09-2013, 07:46   #149
Scottola
Plok!tastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Yes - I've seen this happen on one of my own sites, and for a while there was even a dummy test page showing up ! I've not seen any articles discussing how to customise this, but will keep an eye out. You can however add your avatar/photo to the results - either manually or of course with a plugin - AuthorSure.
Thanks Driver8, I'll take a look at the avatar, anything to make it look more professional helps.

Quote:
This is quite specific - are you uptodate ? Have you asked on the plugin's WP page support tab ? The fact that it only happens on mobiles suggests it might be a responsive feature of your theme ?
I think you're right, I've now tried it on a few different Android tablets and ipads and it works okay, it's only when I go onto mobiles it happens. The wordpress theme I'm using is no longer supported and I don't really know enough yet to get in amongst it all, so it'll have to be a project for a minute. I think it can only be a responsive feature problem, as the plug in I use for the photo albums, uses a different photo viewer and does the same thing on mobiles.

Quote:
Good site, by the way. Did you develop your own mobile apps ?
Thank you It's been a little pet project, I was determined to make a website myself and learn as I go. The mobile app I made myself using Conduit Mobile, so no actual coding involved, but I've spent a lot of time trying to get it right and it comes with it's own headaches. They had an offer ages ago that was cheap enough for me to buy the diamond package, that lets you have unlimited installs on devices.

Quote:
One thing I did spot - the whole thumbnail gallery appears 4 times on this page - http://baypromoteam.co.uk/herne-bay-...52551894825918. But I must add that the thumbnails/lightbox is really v.slick - I'm not usually a fan of these cos of the delays watching the spinner as images load, but none of that here - any tips ?
I think that may be a strange little blip of the plugin I use, I'll have to email the author, it's from http://www.srizon.com/wordpress-plug...facebook-album, I bought the pro version. It hooks into your Facebook page and shows the gallery from there, which means I don't have to update everything twice and it auto updates as I add more photos on Facebook.

As you say, it works pretty flawlessly and very quickly, I was really pleased to find it, as it was just what I was looking for.

Last edited by Scottola; 18-09-2013 at 07:48.
Scottola is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
driver8 (20-09-2013)
Old 20-09-2013, 18:18   #150
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

I'm looking for a new theme, preferably free, but I have a few requirements.

The main one is that I need to have 3-4 widget style areas on the home page where I can display posts from just one category. Imagine a three column-design (under a slider?) where each column displays the posts from a different category.

Surprisingly hard to find in a lot of the free themes that I like, especially because i want a slider to show a "featured' category. Maybe there's a widget that would display posts from a category that I might use in themes with home page widgets?
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2013, 19:49   #151
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Hi Jon - yes, this confused me for a while, too - have you seen Responsive ? Hugely popular & with a great support forum, but minimal out of the box, or there's Clean Response (select Alternative-Home from the demo menu) for more content, but it's not as slick.

And then just use a widget for your post list - there are loads, eg: List category posts

Or you could use any theme, then play with a plugin like this - Sidebar & Widget Manager @ $20

EDIT
Just had a thought - depending on your desired layout, it could well work by using any theme with a decent 3-area footer, then just have a HEADER and an enlarged FOOTER !

Last edited by driver8; 20-09-2013 at 19:53.
Old 20-09-2013, 19:56   #152
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Serene - first ever free theme from the popular premium site Elegant Themes - it's very nice, but quite BIG and LOUD and maybe more suited for a personal site than for business. But it does seem nicely responsive (try resizing your browser).

5 Free Services To Build And Sell Your Mobile App - turn your site into an app ! I've not had chance to digest this yet, but looks interesting - one to bookmark.

Last edited by driver8; 20-09-2013 at 19:59.
Old 20-09-2013, 20:14   #153
JonLaidlow
Scoundrel

Quote:
Hi Jon - yes, this confused me for a while, too - have you seen Responsive ? Hugely popular & with a great support forum, but minimal out of the box, or there's Clean Response (select Alternative-Home from the demo menu) for more content, but it's not as slick.

And then just use a widget for your post list - there are loads, eg: List category posts

Or you could use any theme, then play with a plugin like this - Sidebar & Widget Manager @ $20

EDIT
Just had a thought - depending on your desired layout, it could well work by using any theme with a decent 3-area footer, then just have a HEADER and an enlarged FOOTER !
Yeah - looked at Responsive. Could work as I tried it with the Extended Post Plugin I just tried, but I'd have to add a slider. But I just think the design and typography is pretty fugly.... It's only popular because responsive is the new buzzword and they got in the name first.

I know the content features I want, and I know I want to move towards the "flat" designs that are coming out, but with great typography.... Getting there, however...

Edit: it's largely a text based site, so I don't know why I'm worrying, just need a magazine front-end....
JonLaidlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2013, 07:37   #154
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Jon - I just remembered about this great plugin too - Page Builder by SiteOrigin, or get it builtin to one of their themes, eg: Vantage
Thanked 2 times by:
JonLaidlow (20-11-2013), mikthe20 (22-09-2013)
Old 24-09-2013, 20:34   #155
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

If anyone is looking at buying 1 or more themes, there's a great comparison writeup here of some of the major players -

Theme Seller Reviews: Winners and Losers

Comprehensive reviews of 12 of the most popular WordPress theme sellers – Elegant Themes, WooThemes, Graph Paper Press, Organic Themes, Themes Kingdom, Theme Trust, ThemeZilla, Obox Designs, iThemes, Press75, StudioPress and WPZoom.
Old 01-10-2013, 20:27   #156
Psycho
Trusted User

Just picking up where I left off, I'm now doing some maintenance on a WordPress website that I build about a year ago and it hasn't really had any updates.

I've updated all of the standard ones: WordPress and Plugins... no problems so far... it does use NextGEN Gallery (v1.9.7) but it isn't saying that it needs updating. EDIT: It is now saying to update to 2.0.30 but I'm going to hold fire with that.

It is also saying that the theme needs updating. It currently uses v1.2.6 but there have been a lot of updates and the new versions is v4.3.0.

When I originally built the website I did have to make some changes to the following areas:

CSS, Javascripts, PHP

From memory the person on Theme Forest just emailed me the files and I uploaded them via my FTP to replace the originals.

I'm a bit worried that if I update the theme then I'm going to have the original issues with those things... I can't really remember why those changes were made, but I might be able to find the emails or Theme Forest posts.

Anyway, I was wondering if I could keep the current v1.2.6 and also the new v4.3.0 and switch between the two if I do find there are problems?

Or will uploading the new version override the old one?

Is it possible to have two versions of the same theme but two different versions?

Cheers,

Psycho

Last edited by Psycho; 01-10-2013 at 20:48.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09   #157
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Hi Psycho - If you upgrade normally you'll almost certainly have problems, and yes it will completely over-ride the old version & any customisations. The recommended route is to always set up a child theme and add your customisations there, to make tweaking & upgrading easier (maybe you did ?)

I guess though that you could download the latest version and simply rename it (*), and then to be safe try manually uploading it (rather than installing via WP-Admin) - if it then appears as a separate theme (as it should) you can then switch between the 2.

(*) Giving Your Theme a Unique Name - and - Renaming Your WordPress Theme
Thanked once by:
Psycho (02-10-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20   #158
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Design Wall - 2 decent free responsive themes here.

5 Free Services To Build And Sell Your Mobile App - Ever thought about a simple phone app for your site ? The App Builder offers an amazing level of free functionality.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:31   #159
Psycho
Trusted User

Quote:
Hi Psycho - If you upgrade normally you'll almost certainly have problems, and yes it will completely over-ride the old version & any customisations. The recommended route is to always set up a child theme and add your customisations there, to make tweaking & upgrading easier (maybe you did ?)

I guess though that you could download the latest version and simply rename it (*), and then to be safe try manually uploading it (rather than installing via WP-Admin) - if it then appears as a separate theme (as it should) you can then switch between the 2.

(*) Giving Your Theme a Unique Name - and - Renaming Your WordPress Theme
Thanks for that!

I'm only just starting to look into Child Themes, so I'm not that sure how to use them, yet.

What I was thinking of doing was to manually copy the current theme files to my computer via FTP. These will include any code that was changed and uploaded.

Then I can update to the new version of the theme but always have to original, just in case there any huge problems. If there are, then I can delete the new version and upload the original.

Does that sound possible?

I'll also look into renaming the new version and have the option of switch between both. That would be the better option.

Cheers,

Psycho
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04   #160
Psycho
Trusted User

I've just done a test with another WordPress website and have renamed the theme and uploaded it. I now have the option of swapping between the two different themes!

I'll still save a copy of the current theme files to my computer before uploading the renamed newer version, just in case.

Fingers crossed this will allow me to test out the new version but with the option of quickly switching back to the current version.

Cheers,

Psycho