Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Gadgets and Gizmos > Computing Forum

Old 15-08-2020, 14:42   #841
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
I set up a Health & Nutrition forum a few weeks ago ... please sign-up! Tips & suggestions welcomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
How pedantic are we allowed to be?
Nope - that's great Chris, thanks. Site updated.

It's my first real go with the standard WP Gutenberg editor after all this time (with the excellent Astra theme) ... sheesh, it's very frustrating and feels like it's still in beta! No wonder it got such poor reviews & feedback. Considering there are quite a few decent page-builders for free/freemium these days, it would have been better for the WP team to have stuck to what they know, and improved things like security and performance.

For the forum, I spent a day wrestling with bbPress/Buddypress but found it very cumbersome. After plenty research I narrowed replacements down to Asgaros or wpForo and finally went with the latter, mainly cos of the look out-of-the-box (but I've ended up using a ton of css!) and also the extra bells 'n' whistles (which I haven't really used!) Still, the support forum is good, and unusual in that users of the free version are allowed full access.

Last edited by driver8; 15-08-2020 at 14:50.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2020, 14:46   #842
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Last edited by driver8; 15-08-2020 at 14:48. Reason: dupe
Old 15-08-2020, 19:30   #843
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,825 Times in 637 Posts
> but I've ended up using a ton of css

Well, that's just pants. Not the look (it looks great!) but you having to do that work. Thats like buying a set of wheels for a car and having to buy an anvil and hammer first to get the shape right.
The forum looks good, and looks like it has the right admin tools - report a post, etc. The green is easy on the eyes and links are easy to identify, etc. The only thing I don't like is the 'secret menu' when you click under the posts and you see a couple of random icons, and you have to hover over them to hopefully identify what they are... but that's just a personal gripe. Eg, you have a bell icon on the right, which offers no tooltip, so you have to click it, hoping it doesn't set of a nuclear reaction or something.
Couldn't see a search option. I read something about soya milk, but without writing down its link, I have no idea where it is now. With nutrition and these sorts of things, you kind of 'research' and dig into topics.
Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2020, 07:49   #844
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Yeah, I know what you mean about the CSS, but I tend to start off down a rabbit hole, tweaking the site to how I want it to look (rather than bug-fixing). And it was pretty easy to find the specific css classes, which is a credit to the coders. Mainly I've toned things down from the defaults to make it look less busy >> https://wpforo.com/community/wpforo-showcase/

Search - yes, I'm not a fan, as hopefully the navigation should guide you to the correct place, so I did turn it off when there was hardly any content to see! But I understand what you mean, so I will add that back.

Yes, I agree about the bell - I will try to add a tooltip. But the other icons look like this for me -
Old 20-08-2020, 16:08   #845
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Envato 30% Sale - worth a look if you're after WP themes (62 on sale) & plugins (34 on sale).
Thanked once by:
Chris Locke (21-08-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:20   #846
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

3 surprisingly good themes being offered for free this month at Envato.

Meanwhile, I'm wrestling with Gutenberg for real, for the first time ... sheesh! Frustrating isn't the word ... it's (still) far from intuitive, and is often quirky and occasionally buggy.
Thanked once by:
Chris Locke (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:28   #847
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Which reminds me - Wordpress has been in the news recently due to zero-day exploits. If you have several old sites just sitting in the corner (like I do - my mates Wordpress install hasn't been updated in months) make sure they're updated. Make sure you have backups and remove old plugins you don't use...
Old 24-11-2020, 06:45   #848
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Big cyberMonday sale at Envato - themes, plugins, etc.

Too many to list, but you can search/sort by price and popularity, and of course you can buy a second license for one of your existing purchases.

This is one of the most popular plugins, and a bargain @ $14 (half price), although due to it's age and evolving/increasing functionality, it's quite complicated and has a steep learning curve -

The Grid - Responsive WordPress Grid Plugin
Thanked once by:
Chris Locke (24-11-2020)
Old 24-11-2020, 08:50   #849
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

I know this is the wrong thread, but anyone wanting to throw a quick site together, 8b.com was mentioned elsewhere. This has now dropped 'offline' into Mobirise. They do a limited free version for those that don't want the hassle of a Wordpress install, with the threats of being hacked every ten seconds (the emails I get on my sites is ridiculous!)
You still can't beat Wordpress for sheer number of plugins and themes, but for some smaller sites, it may not be what you need.
The downside of course is that it creates static HTML pages, so while nice 'n fast, if someone wants to update it, they have to use Mobirise again...
Thanked once by:
driver8 (24-11-2020)
Old 25-11-2020, 19:03   #850
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

What are people's recommendations for tutorials on how to administer/maintain WP sites from a content entry perspective rather than developr one ?

My other half is the PA/admin for a few clients, who have WP sites, and thinks it would be good to get some self learning in how to maintain them.

Bear in mind she very non-website savvy.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 26-11-2020 at 10:09.
AdamBrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2020, 19:20   #851
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Is this adding blog posts (normally OK) or amending content? (depending on the site, some HTML knowledge is helpful*)

*By this, I mean while most things are WYSIWYG, adding pictures might need an ALT tag, or linking to other pages needs a bit of knowhow, etc.

Do you have a Windows PC? Its easy to install WAMP (local webserver) so you can install a dummy copy of Wordpress and blow up something that doesn't matter.

Last edited by Chris Locke; 25-11-2020 at 19:22.
Old 26-11-2020, 07:27   #852
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

I'd say that 'admin/maintenance' was more updating the theme/plugins, fixing any errors, site backups, installing firewall, using Google Analytics, mailboxes, etc.

As Chris said, it sounds like you want to write new content, so you can search for tuts on how to write new WP blog posts. And then you'd need to make small edits like pricing, contact details, meet the team, etc.

Rather than faffing with WAMP, ensure you have daily host backups enabled, then just dive straight in to the live site with some small edits. Note that it's a very different environment to MS Office, with a very steep learning curve.

Alternatively, you could hire me at a very reasonable rate!
Old 26-11-2020, 07:36   #853
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Any Black Friday hosting offers around ? I can recommend these 3 - lockin for 3 years for the best price, but beware of the fullprice renewal cost.

Interestingly, A2 and WPX both offer their discounts to existing customers, which is not so common afaik. So I think I will upgrade my current A2 plan and lockin for 3 years.

Images are non-affiliate links.

Old 26-11-2020, 07:43   #854
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

PorkBun domain registration - some very cheap deals, but again beware of the renewal price (some of which are actually cheap, others less so).

Old 26-11-2020, 08:10   #855
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Quote:
Rather than faffing with WAMP, ensure you have daily host backups enabled
Agreed - WAMP is a huge wielding axe to lob around, just to crack a peanut, but backups and playing around is a doddle once installed.
Depending on the theme, silly things like adding pictures will either be easy or a nightmare. A user should be 'comfortable' with Office and computers - if they're really wobbly on their feet, then they can do more harm than good...

Also be aware if you do go down the 'play with the live site' route, it is a live site, and you don't know if anyone is using it.
I've spare hosting space if you do need a 'sandbox' to tinker with a Wordpress install. Alternatively, you can sign up at Wordpress.org and create a dummy account.
Old 26-11-2020, 11:32   #856
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Is this adding blog posts (normally OK) or amending content? (depending on the site, some HTML knowledge is helpful*)

*By this, I mean while most things are WYSIWYG, adding pictures might need an ALT tag, or linking to other pages needs a bit of knowhow, etc.

Do you have a Windows PC? Its easy to install WAMP (local webserver) so you can install a dummy copy of Wordpress and blow up something that doesn't matter.
Quote:
I'd say that 'admin/maintenance' was more updating the theme/plugins, fixing any errors, site backups, installing firewall, using Google Analytics, mailboxes, etc.

As Chris said, it sounds like you want to write new content, so you can search for tuts on how to write new WP blog posts. And then you'd need to make small edits like pricing, contact details, meet the team, etc.

Rather than faffing with WAMP, ensure you have daily host backups enabled, then just dive straight in to the live site with some small edits. Note that it's a very different environment to MS Office, with a very steep learning curve.

Alternatively, you could hire me at a very reasonable rate!
Ok, thanks for that.

The sites in question are more along the lines of how WP can now be used as a proper CMS driven site ( rather than just a load of blog posts ) if that makes sense ?

So we'd be talking 'admin' in the sense of adding/updating content and possibly checking if plugins exist for a new requirement, etc.

Maintenance of plugins/server is already done by someone else.

Oh, and driver8, if she was going to hire anybody to do it then you'd need to join the queue behind me but, as I say, I think she is thinking more along the content admin side rather than backend stuff

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 26-11-2020 at 11:38.
Thanked once by:
driver8 (26-11-2020)
Old 26-11-2020, 11:41   #857
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Any Black Friday hosting offers around ? I can recommend these 3 - lockin for 3 years for the best price, but beware of the fullprice renewal cost.

Interestingly, A2 and WPX both offer their discounts to existing customers, which is not so common afaik. So I think I will upgrade my current A2 plan and lockin for 3 years.

Images are non-affiliate links.

That's a very good base price for A2 - and, to think, I almost signed up with them last week. Glad I waited now
Old 26-11-2020, 11:53   #858
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

> That's a very good base price for A2

Just be aware that's an introductory price - next year it'll wang back up faster than a ding-dong at a ding-dong factory.
Old 26-11-2020, 11:57   #859
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
> That's a very good base price for A2

Just be aware that's an introductory price - next year it'll wang back up faster than a ding-dong at a ding-dong factory.
At those prices I would be locking in for 3 years
Old 27-11-2020, 07:44   #860
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Yes, and don't forget that this offer is also for current subscribers. I signed up with A2 on a special deal at £91 for 2 years; when that came up for renewal, I asked them if they would honour the same price ... and they did !

Now I'm up for renewal again after 4 years total, and this offer is openly available for existing subs too (they even emailed me about it). Good way for them to raise cash by paying for 3 years in advance, and cloud services are getting more competitive and cheaper.

Fingers-crossed that in 3 years time we'll see a similar deal, and if not I will be emailing them for sure!

(PS:this is not a fanboi endorsement; as said, I can also recommend SiteGround and WPX).