Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Film Discussion

Old 21-01-2021, 14:05   #2361
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,282 Posts
The Croods (2013) and (2020) - funny colouful slapstick silliness. Better than I expected, and surprisingly different beasts - first one is better. #2 is for slightly older kids with its 'boy meets girl' awkwardness and saggy middle. Thankfully, the celebs don't come to mind at all whilst watching - Nicolas Cage, Emma Stone, Ryan Reynolds. (7/10 and 6/10)

Abominable (2019) - a fairly standard story enriched by the female heroine, interesting culture and Chinese landscapes. Lots of LOLs for the kids, just don't think too hard about the science or the geography! 7/10
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:34   #2362
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

Wonder Woman 1984 - 4/10

Freaky - 5/10

Performance - 8/10

Last edited by jmdomain; 22-01-2021 at 18:36.
jmdomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2021, 11:56   #2363
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

lots of netflix exclusives

Outside the Wire 6/10 Liked the 2 main actors but generic story and quite "small"

Dredd the 2012 version which my OH insisted he'd not seen before but I was hardly have watched it on my own! I prefer stallone. this was just violence in a block of flats

The Prom
8/10
Finally I get to pick the Sat night movie! there was singing and campness and people being nice to each other and it all came together in the end. I enjoyed!
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 19:00   #2364
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World - 2/10

The Midnight Sky - 2/10

Greenland - 5/10
Old 08-02-2021, 14:38   #2365
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Locked Down
Anne Hathaway and Chiwetel Ejiofor are a couple on the verge of breaking up, stuck together in lockdown & both looking to change their lives. She's a corporate manager sick of her job, he's an ex-con with little in the way of prospects. Written by Steven Knight & directed by Doug Liman, it's been marketed as a romantic comedy heist movie. It's not. It's a relationship drama with a couple of laughs and a robbery tacked on at the end of its lengthy 2-hour running time. The two leads are very good & various famous faces (Ben Stiller, Stephen Merchant, Mark Gatiss, Dule Hill) pop up occasionally on zoom calls, but it's a bit of slog & the 'heist' is so easy & inconsequential you get the feeling it's only there because the filmmakers didn't know how to conclude the story properly. The most interesting thing about it is getting to look behind the scenes of Harrods during the pandemic (though why isn't ANYONE in there wearing a mask? ).

Horizon Line
An estranged couple on their way to a wedding find themselves in a world of trouble when the pilot of their light aircraft drops dead mid-flight. With no autopilot, no sign of land, a storm front approaching & no idea how to land a plane, will they survive? What starts off as a slightly tense, claustrophobic thriller just gets sillier as it goes on. I'm no expert on aviation, but I'm pretty sure climbing around on the outside of a small plane while it's still flying might have some effect on its stability. Apparently not. Oh, & for the love of Jebus, if you're going to go out there, tie your frickin' hair back! Allison Williams & Alexander Dreymon star, while Pearl Mackie & Keith David pop up in brief supporting roles. Not terrible, but not that good either.

The Taking of Beverly Hills
A chemical truck crashes in Beverly Hills, spilling its toxic load. The citizens are all evacuated for their own safety, but wait! It's all a big scam so evil Robert Davi can rob the entire neighbourhood! Only pro footballer Ken Wahl & his mighty mullet can stop him! Incredibly OTT early nineties action flick full of cheesy one-liners, explosions and car crashes. Matt Frewer adds some comic relief as a cowardly cop &, as always, Davi gives good villain. Bonus points for the 'where the **** did that come from?' SWAT tank that gets driven through at least five houses while shooting high explosives at our hero. Loved it.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 16:32   #2366
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
Greenland
It was ok, some really hate it. It was just average, like a MS style template auto generator did it

5/10

The rental
Another amazon video film, it was ****. Alison brie deserves better (maybe not do films because your husband is the director) The cast are fine but they can't fix a **** script and the ending was lazy and dumb

1/10
Old 12-02-2021, 17:34   #2367
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

News of the World - 7/10

Logan Lucky - 6/10

Walkabout - 8/10
Old 19-02-2021, 00:21   #2368
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

Sator - 6/10

Willy's Wonderland - 6/10

October Sky - 6/10
Old 19-02-2021, 11:17   #2369
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,282 Posts
It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine) ...

Annihilation (2018) - unrealistic even for scifi, and some of the CGI is off, but the acting is good and I enjoyed the ride. Classic Garland, 7/10

Bird Box (2018) - Sandra Bullock's face was distracting (plastic surgery, jungle make-up) but other than a daftly portrayed ending, it was tense and engaging, with that cool Reznor soundtrack. 7/10

Contagion (2011) - Amazing cast of A-list actors, and the film runs like an unstoppable steam-train. So many parallels with how Covid-19 was to unfold a decade later. A must-watch, interesting and compelling. 8/10

Last edited by driver8; 19-02-2021 at 11:19.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 14:49   #2370
Raigmore
Ambassador to Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
Contagion (2011)[/URL] - Amazing cast of A-list actors, and the film runs like an unstoppable steam-train. So many parallels with how Covid-19 was to unfold a decade later. A must-watch, interesting and compelling. 8/10
Agree to this. I am not normally a fan of "Soddy" but this one was very good. Especially the Jennifer Ehle's stand out character. Something very British about it even though it was set mainly in America.

Matt Damon, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet and Laurence Fishburne were also very good, as were most of the supporting cast. The film is especially relevant now, for obvious reasons.
Raigmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 14:58   #2371
aprout
worn to perfection

Location: Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs
Wrong Turn (2021)
The writer of the original Wrong Turn reboots the franchise that started well but got cheaper & more irritating as it went on. This time round, inbred cannibal hillbillies are out, replaced by an isolated civilisation that's been living in the mountains for centuries. When three hipster couples walking the Appalachian Trail ignore the warnings of the locals to stick to the path & decide to wander into the woods, things do not go well.

It's well made & generally well acted, but nothing that happens makes any sense if you think about it for more than a minute & the gore is oddly inconsistent, like they were only allowed to show a certain amount of blood & decided to spread it out across the movie rather than show it when it was warranted. Matthew Modine attempts to add a bit of class to the proceedings as a dad looking for his lost daughter, but even he couldn't stop me from shouting at the screen every ten minutes. Oh, & the potentially most interesting bit of the whole film takes place in a long shot under the end credits. WTF? Stupid, illogical, irritating, pointless.

ps. Bonus stupid points for the leader of the antagonists' look & hair - while his entire tribe is filthy & has rough, stringy birdnests on their heads, he looks like he's just been to the spa & had his hair & beard done by Vidal Sassoon that morning.

Monster Hunter
Director Paul WS Anderson & his muse Milla Jovovich return with another OTT actioner based on a videogame. Wait! Come back! Milla's the leader of a group of soldiers who are magically transported to another world. A world full of… Monsters! I've never played the game so I've no idea how faithful any of this is to it, but there's very much a case of different 'Levels' here: Caves, Desert, Jungle, Boss. Milla's watchable as ever, she's ably supported by Tony Jaa, the action is quite frenetic & the effects are generally top-notch. The bits with Ron Perlman as a pirate (?) seem to have wandered in from another movie, but I'm sure they'll be explained in the sequels they're clearly trying to set up at the end. Good fun overall, & I really liked the 80s synth score, which I assume is based on the game.

Life After The Navigator
Documentary from the makers of Life After Flash about the making of '80s kids classic Flight of the Navigator & the, erm, 'eventful' life of its star, Joey Cramer. Full of interviews with pretty much everyone you'd want to hear from about the film (the only major MIA is Sarah Jessica Parker) & lots of raw emotion from Cramer. Very well put together & surprisingly touching. Recommended for fans.
aprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked 3 times by:
cjanderson (20-02-2021), dvdphile (19-02-2021), Out for Justice (19-02-2021)
Old 19-02-2021, 16:51   #2372
fivebyfive
Leave means lies

Thanked 1,123 Times in 492 Posts
The complex: Lockdown

its actually the FMV choices from the game, was not bad. Better acted than some b-tier films

3.5/5

Bill and Ted: face the music

This was just sad, keanu and winter are too old for being bill and ted and felt like keanu had to do it. The daughters were terrible, Samara Weaving is better than this. Felt cheap (the robot looked like something from 90's power rangers) and terrible end for the films

1/5
Old 20-02-2021, 09:03   #2373
cjanderson
2 phalanxs and a catapult

I saw bill and ted at the cinema (cleaner coming, there was really nothing else) and i really hated it. Though I did like the 2 daughters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cjanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 19:36   #2374
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprout View Post
Monster Hunter
Director Paul WS Anderson & his muse Milla Jovovich return with another OTT actioner based on a videogame. Wait! Come back! Milla's the leader of a group of soldiers who are magically transported to another world. A world full of… Monsters! I've never played the game so I've no idea how faithful any of this is to it, but there's very much a case of different 'Levels' here: Caves, Desert, Jungle, Boss. Milla's watchable as ever, she's ably supported by Tony Jaa, the action is quite frenetic & the effects are generally top-notch. The bits with Ron Perlman as a pirate (?) seem to have wandered in from another movie, but I'm sure they'll be explained in the sequels they're clearly trying to set up at the end. Good fun overall, & I really liked the 80s synth score, which I assume is based on the game.
I've played the game a bit - not to a great extent mind - and I am not sure the game has any of the two worlds stuff; I am assuming the monster names/appearances are taken from the game though.

It certainly wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be and the effects, on the whole, are very good but the Avengers rip-off scene, at the end, looked pretty bad to me.
AdamBrunt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:31   #2375
jmdomain
The Postmaster General

The Dig - 6/10

Boss Level - 5/10

Coming 2 America - 4/10