Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Old 12-02-2012, 10:42   #21
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
it earns you sympathy
Never mind, thought it was one of those support your local team back-slap-a-thons.
campdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:45   #22
LouBarlow
Retired Member

I say that but I have no idea how well they are doing in their respective league.
LouBarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:48   #23
campdave
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
I say that but I have no idea how well they are doing in their respective league.
I can't remember the last time they won, so not so good. Did spank Crawley 6-0, but that feels like forever ago.
campdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:19   #24
dmb6473a
Trusted User

I've supported Wolves since I was about 8. The first game I remember is the FA Cup semi-final against Tottenham in 1981 (ironically our last major trophy win was 12 months earlier!). I used to go and stand on the old South Bank in the 80s with schoolmates when they were in the old fourth division.

When I started work, I bought a season ticket, which I kept until 2006. In September of that year, my dad passed away. I went to one game after that (a boring draw with Stoke), and sat there realising that I didn't want to be there any more without having him to talk to after the matches. I've only been to one game since.

I'll always support them, but it's not a significant part of my life anymore.
dmb6473a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:53   #25
escape_adil5
So fresh, So clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by campdave View Post
Never mind, thought it was one of those support your local team back-slap-a-thons.
Damn right it is!

People can support whoever they want. But to me, football is what it is when the minnows beat the big boys or do something special. I think there's nothing like it.

I just really enjoy the romanticism of all that!

I'm not disputing that you don't get that by supporting one of the bigger clubs at all. I think every city fan will remember the 6-1 in 20 years time still. Just like every Arsenal fan remembers winning the league at OT 10 years ago (or at least should if they were about then).

So yeh, support who you want, have a good time. But I'm just going to particularly enjoy hearing that people support their local teams always. Nothing wrong with that.
escape_adil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:51   #26
DeadYankee

Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,082 Posts
The romanticism of being owned by an Asian consortium must warm the cockles of your heart. Minnows
DeadYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:24   #27
escape_adil5
So fresh, So clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadYankee View Post
The romanticism of being owned by an Asian consortium must warm the cockles of your heart. Minnows
Didn't say we were minnows. We're probably not in the championship.

Our thai owners are pretty good so far - they've backed managers with the money and want premiership football. We never would have thought we'd be playing Real Madrid in a pre-season friendly. So yeh, it's been great. I got no problems with it. Loads of clubs are now owned by rich foreign investors.

When we play big teams, we're still underdogs. We were against Man City in the cup last season and took them to a replay. Wouldn't have dreamt of that happening when they announced the team-sheets that day.

Fan of the biggest clubs in the country and most prem clubs know that they would have had a chance. So yeh - romanticism.

And foreign owners or not, we didn't have them a few years ago and were at risk of administration. Fans of LCFC know what it's like for a lot of non-prem teams. So make no apologies for enjoying hearing that people are fans of smaller clubs.
escape_adil5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 15:35   #28
The 3 little pigs
Smashing.

Begrudgingly. **** off Glazers.
Old 12-02-2012, 15:53   #29
Hernster
Toon Army Member

I've followed NUFC since my first game at around the age of 6. I started going regularly under Jim Smith, and a few away games every season, until various work put a stop to that. Before emigrating to America in the Summer last year (timing was great, pre-season!), I had a season ticket for 18 years. Toon.
Hernster is offline   Reply With Quote