Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 12:12   #21
mjb1975
Blandiblub

The Bear mentioned it a while back but I'd only recently seen the Milijas tackle against Arsenal which resulted in a red card - now THAT was a scandalous decision, including the rejection of the appeal!

It really needs to be seen to be believed IMO.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:42   #22
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greemie666 View Post
A dangerous tackle doesn't have to break a leg to be dangerous, Nani got out of the way to save his ankles, that doesn't make Kompany any less reckless.
ANY tackle can be dangerous. Trying to remove any element of danger from the game is making the referee's job even more difficult. Each tackle should be judged on it's own merits. Automatically labelling all two footed challenges as red cards is ridiculous.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:46   #23
TigaSefi
Xbox Live/PS3 : TigaSefi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
ANY tackle can be dangerous. Trying to remove any element of danger from the game is making the referee's job even more difficult. Each tackle should be judged on it's own merits. Automatically labelling all two footed challenges as red cards is ridiculous.
Would have liked to see how Ron "Chopper" Harris would have got on in these namby pamby times...
Old 09-01-2012, 13:06   #24
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Automatically labelling all two footed challenges as red cards is ridiculous.
Why is it ? If they are using the logic that two footed tackles means the player is no longer in control then I don't see any problem with saying that ALL tackles where the player has both feet off the ground, and studs showing, are a straight red card.

Winnng the ball, in such tackles, is also irrelevant ... for all we know, the player might only have won the ball cos the opponent was worried about having his leg(s) broken and so 'chickened' out of the challenge.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 09-01-2012 at 13:07.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:01   #25
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

As a United fan I'm mighty relieved at the result, but your lot deserve massive credit for making such a fight of it. I thought, probably like most City fans, that this would end in embarrassment for you (...like a certain match did for us), but fair play to you...I even thought you'd get the equaliser and probably go on and win it!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 14:03   #26
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
Why is it ? If they are using the logic that two footed tackles means the player is no longer in control then I don't see any problem with saying that ALL tackles where the player has both feet off the ground, and studs showing, are a straight red card.

Winnng the ball, in such tackles, is also irrelevant ... for all we know, the player might only have won the ball cos the opponent was worried about having his leg(s) broken and so 'chickened' out of the challenge.
The one thing that makes me chuckle about your post is Adam, I know as much as a Rafa fact that you would be fuming and letting the world know if Kompany was wearing a Liverpool shirt

For me it was harsh but that's the way it goes. I thought Foy was poor yesterday and not because of that, but because he's a poor ref in my eyes who booked players on both sides and dimissed bookable offences by both sides. Missed a blatant penalty for United and wasn't up to the task of reffing the game as a whole.

Cheers HK. Enjoyed the game to be honest and felt that we could of got the draw with a slice of luck at the end. But to be fair a lot of hard work went into pulling it back and the crowd were well up for it but alas it was not to be. A great advert for the FA Cup

Last edited by Citysmith; 09-01-2012 at 14:11.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:14   #27
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citysmith View Post
The one thing that makes me chuckle about your post is Adam, I know as much as a Rafa fact that you would be fuming and letting the world know if Kompany was wearing a Liverpool shirt
As I have said before, you just need to compare it to Spearing's tackle in the Fulham v LFC game. Spearing's was far less reckless and no one batted an eyelid when he got banned for 3 games.

Yes LFC fans were fuming about that tackle - but it made no difference. Everyone wants consistency which means, if Spearing was banned then Kompany needs to be banned.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:16   #28
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Quote:
As I have said before, you just need to compare it to Spearing's tackle in the Fulham v LFC game. Spearing's was far less reckless and no one batted an eyelid when he got banned for 3 games.

Yes LFC fans were fuming about that tackle - but it made no difference. Everyone wants consistency which means, if Spearing was banned then Kompany needs to be banned.
I've said it's harsh but that's the way it goes I'm not one to moan on and on about it. So by your thinking (not mine, as I've not seen the Spearing tackle) you want refs to be consistently bad
Old 09-01-2012, 14:33   #29
wisey
Injured

Quote:

You cant just compare any two tackles because they both resulted in red cards. Spearing clearly tried to 'do' dembele, if you think different then you have no idea how football works. He might have took the ball first, but had every intention of going through it and the player afterwards, i remember Rooney doing a couple of similar challenges in the past when he gets wound up.

Kompany simply won the ball, its a pathetic decision.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:35   #30
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Quote:
The Laws of the Game don't specify that all two-footed challenges are red cards. All it mentions is excessive force and nearly all referees seem to work on the idea that if a player leads with two feet in front of him then he has little control over the tackle and has exceeded the necessary force. It's very much a judgement call. Kompany's tackle didn't seem dangerous to me but the nature of the challenge was at least reckless so I'd have said a free-kick and a yellow was fair. If the referee is of the opinion that he used excessive force and isn't willing to change his mind after seeing a replay then there's absolutely no chance of the FA over-turning the card on appeal.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:37   #31
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:

I've just had a read of the rules.

http://ar.fifa.com/mm/document/affed...e_2011_12e.pdf

Page 34+, specifically page 37 for the rules for sending off. There is no mention of "2 footed challenge", no mention of "Reckless challenge".

This "2 Footed challenge is an instant red" is just not true.

the only clear reds are.

Quote:
* Serious Foul Play.
* Violent Conduct.
* Spitting at an opponent or other person.
* denying the opposition a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberatly handling the ball.
* Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the players goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick.
*Using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures.
*receiving a second yellow.

Edit: Pisces Iscariot beat me too it.

Last edited by Grunge; 09-01-2012 at 14:39.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:40   #32
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news...pany-dismissal

City are appealing the ban.

Adam just watched the Spearing tackle and thought that he 'did' him. Red? Not sure but he made sure the player got it
Old 09-01-2012, 14:46   #33
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news...pany-dismissal

City are appealing the ban.

Adam just watched the Spearing tackle and thought that he 'did' him. Red? Not sure but he made sure the player got it
Good!

although SAF has spoken so I doubt anything will be done about it.
Old 09-01-2012, 14:46   #34
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
Page 34+, specifically page 37 for the rules for sending off. There is no mention of "2 footed challenge", no mention of "Reckless challenge".
I'm sure reckless is mentioned in there but it's only a bookable offence.

Carless = free-kick
Reckless = free-kick + yellow card for unsporting behaviour
Excessive force = free kick + red card for serious foul play
Old 09-01-2012, 14:50   #35
Grunge
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot View Post
I'm sure reckless is mentioned in there but it's only a bookable offence.

Carless = free-kick
Reckless = free-kick + yellow card for unsporting behaviour
Excessive force = free kick + red card for serious foul play
Yep its in there are you mention, I only checked under the Red card section. That lots a lot further down.

Its a PDF so I cant cut and paste the exact wording, it's on page 111 for those who fancy looking

Edit: Just for clarity I'll post one section

Reckless: Means that the player has acted with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent
A player who plays in a reckless manner must be cautioned.

Last edited by Grunge; 09-01-2012 at 14:55.
Old 09-01-2012, 16:37   #36
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Still waiting for all these instances of players having legs broken by 2 footed challenges like Kompany's....
Old 09-01-2012, 16:49   #37
d2000s
Trusted User

You'll be waiting a while lou

Quote:
Disagree about the Spearing tackle, I thought he went after the ball and got the ball and wasn't that dangerous. It's one of those that looked worse in slow motion... but it's all opinion . What i know for sure, without even looking was that AdamBrunt was probably one of those who was complaining when he got sent off, but is now on here defending the Kompany decision...... unsurprising really.
Old 09-01-2012, 17:41   #38
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
Disagree about the Spearing tackle, I thought he went after the ball and got the ball and wasn't that dangerous. It's one of those that looked worse in slow motion... but it's all opinion . What i know for sure, without even looking was that AdamBrunt was probably one of those who was complaining when he got sent off, but is now on here defending the Kompany decision...... unsurprising really.
Not sure what you mean

I am all for consistency and always have been. If Spearing's was a red (regardless of whether you think it was or not but for me it wasn't) then IMHO Kompany's is a red. It's not difficult really is it ?
Old 09-01-2012, 19:00   #39
Rob
Indie Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunge View Post
I've just had a read of the rules.

the only clear reds are.

Quote:
* Serious Foul Play.
* Violent Conduct.
* Spitting at an opponent or other person.
* denying the opposition a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity by deliberatly handling the ball.
* Denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the players goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or penalty kick.
*Using offensive, insulting or abusive language or gestures.
*receiving a second yellow.
Are you sure that's an F.A. document? Isn't that the Liverpool Mission Statement?

Last edited by Rob; 09-01-2012 at 19:00.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44   #40
Citysmith
Feed the Goat..

Evra got away with this one at the weekend

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/lniix