Old 23-02-2021, 21:48   #182
Tempest
Trusted User

Thanked 1,065 Times in 626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
Let us know how it goes.
Oh yeah, for sure.
It's either going to be the best (not that much money) I've spent in years to save me typing to log into Windows, and remember Master Passwords, and will work like a dream.

Or it will be an utter pain in the rear end, struggling to get it to work, and/or is does not work as expected.

I'll soon see.
Oh, and if it does work I'll buy the exact same setup for my other PC

Will report back (fingers crossed)
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 22:42   #183
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Thanked 1,825 Times in 637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
fingers crossed
Don't cross your fingers - that'll confuse the reader.

Hope you have better luck than me. My fingerprint reader logs me into Windows, but that's where the fun ends.

Chris Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (24-02-2021)
Old 23-02-2021, 22:48   #184
zantarous
Xbox Live tag: wargame

So I got the finger print working with Bitwarden and you have to install the desktop app and unlock that first before you can use it to unlock you browser ext. Bit of a faff.
zantarous is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked once by:
Tempest (24-02-2021)
Old 24-02-2021, 06:18   #185
driver8
M0D2.0 (trainee)

Thanked 2,953 Times in 1,282 Posts
Bought a Sony laptop in 2007 that had a fingerprint reader, and it was "last years's model" at the time, albeit top end. I wonder why they didn't take off?

And I wonder why you can't buy a PC monitor/keyboard with one built in ... that would be really handy!

Now the fingerprint readers on phones are so good, there's no excuse.

EDIT - looks cool, but obviously didn't take off (at $129).

Microsoft EKZ-00001 Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID - and - PC Mag review

"... steps for registering your fingerprint with the PC. This includes pressing the fingerprint key several times so it can catch enough different angles of your unique fingerprint to identify you properly. Once that’s done, you just press the finger you scanned onto the dedicated key each time you want to unlock your computer. Though it's a modest creature comfort, I enjoy this feature. It makes me never want to type in a password again."

Last edited by driver8; 24-02-2021 at 06:19.
driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 20:08   #186
Tempest
Trusted User

Update time.

Fingerprint reader, attached to a 1.5m USB lead, which is attached to a powered hub, which is then connected to the PC

As it's more oblong, (like a tiny tiny sheet of A4 paper) I originally was going to have it in a more Portrait, but after a few tests, it seemed windows preferred it in a landscape mode.

Anyway..... Plugged it in, windows detected it, and said "setting up" then "it's ready"
I did not have to install any drivers.
Went to windows setting set it up, followed by a windows PIN as a backup (not sure why)
But yes, it appears to work perfect so far.

Got Bitwarden up and running, and yes, agree, it's a very clungy system.
Load up web browser, then click on the extension, it then says waiting for the desktop app, which you need to unlock, then it tells the extension to unlock.
Not quite perfected in what order, so it's a double fingerprint at the moment.

Anyway... Yes it seems to work perfect, and Yes Bitwarden need to fix? this as it's super clunky way of doing it.

A bit like your garage door won't unlock, unless you open your front door 1st, then the front door tells the garage door it can open.....

====UPDATE====

Can't seem to avoid having to do fingerprint twice with Bitwarden
(don't get me wrong, still way easier than password, but can I improve this?)

Load up web browser, and click on extension and then biometrics.
It says I need to load the desktop app.
I load the desktop app, and have to use my fingerprint to log in, then go back again to the extension click on biometrics, it then says speaking to the desktop app, which then asks a second time for my fingerprint, which then unlocks the extension.

Or:

I 1st load up the desktop app, and log in with fingerprint.
I then load up the web browser, click the extension, it then asks the desktop app to again ask for my fingerprint.

Either way it seems you need to do a double fingerprint.
Once to actually open the desktop app.
Then again when the extension needs to talk to the desktop app.

Again. better than remembering passwords, but still, what a painful way of doing it.
Perhaps extensions themselves can't ask for biometrics?

==edit again==

Looking online there are various user comments about this unlocking method, so no need to add my voice, as I'm sure they are well aware of what improvements could be made.
Seems odd you need to load the desktop app 1st which then talks to the browser plug-in which feels like they had to do it this way as no sane person would chose to

Last edited by Tempest; 24-02-2021 at 21:22.
Old 24-02-2021, 23:18   #187
Wooglie
Rurouni

Thanked 1,114 Times in 476 Posts
Which fingerprint reader did you get?
Wooglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 07:08   #188
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooglie View Post
Which fingerprint reader did you get?
This is the reader which I chose after reading the reviews on many of them, and to be fair this works perfect.
Detects fingerprint pretty much instantly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07VK71TST/

I also bought this USB extension which holds this fingerprint reader at a nice upright angle for use on your desktop.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001K9BFB8/

As I said, no drivers needed for me to find, and so far working perfect.
Thanked once by:
Wooglie (25-02-2021)
Old 26-02-2021, 10:25   #189
zantarous

Went ahead and deleted my LastPass account last night.

Anything able to get autofil to work on Android without using Accessibility?

Android 10/11 were supposed to allow you to set autofil at a system level but neither Bitwarden or LassPass ever worked. I always have to enable Accessibility.
Old 26-02-2021, 21:17   #190
Tempest
Trusted User

Funny you should say this.

I have Brave browser on my phone (and desktop actually)
And of course Bitwarden also.

I did wonder why I was not apparenty to me that Bitwarden was ever offering to fill in passwords.
Though on my phone it's not so obvious anyway, as most very important things fingerprint unlock anyway, and other things I'm already logged into.

Anyway, it turns out Bitwarden would never have offered anyway as I'm not turned on that feature (to be honest I never knew I had to turn it on) and did so this morning.
In the app settings on the phone at the very top:
"Autofill Services" ENABLED

As far as I can tell this seems to work as I logged out of these forums a moment ago on my phone, tapped on the username box to log back in, Bitwarden said I needed to use my fingerprint to unlock Bitwarden, and upon doing so it showed my my recorded details for these forums, which I tapped on and it filled out username/password fine.

As far as I know I don't have anything in Accessibility turned on, on my Pixel 3XL phone.

As an addition I just logged out of the mobile app from "hotukdeals"
Bitwarden was thrown a bit when I tried to log back in, as the app must link to a different website behind the scenes, so I went back into Bitwarden and created another entry for "hotukdeals - mobile app" saved this, gave it a few moments to be sure it's all synced across devices, and tried again, the bitwarden prompt came up and it was able to fill out the username/password fields in this app ok.

Not tried any others yet, but it looks to be working ok.
Old 26-02-2021, 23:53   #191
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Quote:
As an addition I just logged out of the mobile app from "hotukdeals"
In an entry, you can have multiple URLs. Android apps (for example) use weird URLs compared to websites, so Bitwarden won't be able to match.
Here's my Asda record for example.

This way, you don't create duplicate entries - no need for 'mobile app' records.

If you click 'edit' you can add extra URLs (OK, or URIs).

Doesn't seem to be a 'merge' option to handle this easier. Maybe in another version...

Last edited by Chris Locke; 26-02-2021 at 23:57.
Thanked once by:
Tempest (27-02-2021)
Old 28-02-2021, 08:50   #192
Tempest
Trusted User

Saw this interesting snippet whilst having a quick browse on Reddit about Bitwarden folders.
I'd had a try as using unicode values, but can't seem to duplicate what this person has shown here, the codes I enter just show as the code, not as the icon.
Any ideas how they did it, if it's true!

Full unicode list here:
https://www.unicode.org/emoji/charts...moji-list.html

If I put in: U+1F600 as a folder name, I just see that text and not a Unicode Smiley

Perhaps it needs to be between some special characters?
Perhaps I'm totally misunderstanding this?
Perhaps they are just making this up?

Last edited by Tempest; 28-02-2021 at 09:01.
Old 28-02-2021, 09:41   #193
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

If you're on Windows 10, just press [Windows Key] and [.]. This pops up a little window.

Type the word you want, and bang.

This is mainly used on Teams, where entering codes using : is useless, because as soon as you type :s for :smile, or :shopping, it changes it to a worried icon. Yeah, that's useful. [Win]+[.] is a lot quicker. Doesn't work in these forums, but does work on other sites like GitHub, etc.

Just checked, and yes, works in BitWarden.

Thanked once by:
Tempest (28-02-2021)
Old 28-02-2021, 10:42   #194
Tempest
Trusted User

^ Whooot.
Well done that Man
(or whatever personal sexual identity you have selected for this moment in time)

Next knew about this Win+. feature.
If I'm honest the only time I use these is in a text message or whatsapp on the phone.
And then it's generally a smile or thumbs up.

That's great, and something else for me to fiddle with in Bitwarden

Honestly this Fingerprint reader I recently bought, just for logging into Windows and Bitwarden has to be THE most useful thing I've bought for the PC in a long long time.
It's such a joy not to type passwords in.

It's a bit of a shame this can't be more integrated with website logins, like it's done on the phone apps.
Like you would go to your NatWest website, and log in with your fingerprint, and not even need a password manager anything like as much.

Perhaps there is a security issue doing as such, or it's hard to do, or they can't be arsed to make it happen
Old 28-02-2021, 11:18   #195
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

I'm guessing Android apps (using that as an example) know if you've a reader, and use that accordingly. A website can't really do that. Guess if you had a PC 'app' it could. A website can't really interrogate your PC to know what you've got, and even though the browser could do, it would be hard for the browser to send this information with each request, etc. Bit more 'modular' than an app on a phone.
Old 28-02-2021, 11:51   #196
Tempest
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Locke View Post
I'm guessing Android apps (using that as an example) know if you've a reader, and use that accordingly. A website can't really do that. Guess if you had a PC 'app' it could. A website can't really interrogate your PC to know what you've got, and even though the browser could do, it would be hard for the browser to send this information with each request, etc. Bit more 'modular' than an app on a phone.
Hmmm, yes I see your point.
Perhaps we could be in a world like this if that Windows RT had taken off, so you'd have an actual Natwest app on your PC etc....

But that never really got off the ground.
Perhaps it might one day some version of Windows that's more like a GIANT phone but with computer bits also will gain traction.

Anyway, Bitwarden still working well for me
A few UI changes perhaps could be nice, drag/drop Right click extra stuff, but that's more of a polish

Again thanks for all your tips so far
Old 28-02-2021, 17:55   #197
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

Quote:
Perhaps we could be in a world like this if that Windows RT had taken off
You don't even need that - you just need a desktop Windows application. Its funny how people hate the idea of installing more stuff on their desktop, yet are happy to install goodness knows what on their phone. Most apps are just wrappers around websites anyway. Well, the shoddy ones are, anyway.
You could easily have a banking application for Windows that used all biometric stuff, etc, so you didn't have to log in. But then a whole bunch of people would moan that it's not available on their Mac, or Linux box, etc. So from a development angle, far easier to just do a mobile version.
Old 11-03-2021, 18:51   #198
zantarous

So I enabled 2FA for my Bitwarden today and now I have a bit of a dilemma. How do people actually manage a recovery for when you lose your phone? I never have but I know the day will come whether accidentally or have it stolen and no doubt it will happen on holiday.

So I am using MS Authenticator for 2FA, I have a recovery code that I have put in a text file and then set a very complex password to access in a zip file (lets hope I don't forget that one).

That is all fine and dandy when I am at home but what happens when I am say abroad and lose my phone? What sort of solutions do people have?
Old 11-03-2021, 20:06   #199
Chris Locke
Making a 1% improvement

I've not set up 2FA on BitWarden, but is it mandatory - if you set it, you HAVE to use it? Is there a 'I don't have my phone with me' option where it'll use your email or something else instead?
Old 11-03-2021, 20:40   #200
Tempest
Trusted User

Hope this is not a silly question
Is there any real need for 2 factor with Bitwarden if you have set it to unlock with Biometrics?
What are the chances of someone cracking your fingerprint to gain access (for a normal user and normal hacker) eg: Not the worlds best team trying to crack the American Secret Service

You can use a Yubikey I understand with Bitwarden also. Not that I'm convinced about Yubikeys in general use, but sure they do have good uses in certain situations.