Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 17:52   #41
MICON
Trusted User

Yessssssssssssssssssssss
Old 03-12-2011, 18:30   #42
HenryKrinkle
Clean, like my conscience

We might be one up but what worries me, and has done for the last few matches, is the lack of goal attempt by us...shoot at their goal FFS!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 19:14   #43
MICON
Trusted User

This must be one of the worst United teams I have ever watched. Can't pass, can't score from corners, struggle to even score.
Old 03-12-2011, 19:57   #44
HenryKrinkle

Well, we did the main thing and got the 3 points... ...however, we are awful to watch and virtually unrecognisable as a 'United' team! What's happened to Rooney's goal threat, he had one shot near the end but apart from that just seemed interesting in passing...you're a striker FFS...start scoring you muppet (...probably all that hair weighing him down).

...I really fear for us in Basel next week...second in the table and not happy, typical United fan eh?!
Old 03-12-2011, 20:47   #45
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...typical United fan eh?!
To be fair, you are pretty unique...
Old 03-12-2011, 21:17   #46
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Big win that. Next couple of weeks is going to be crucial - City have some massive games and we need to capitalise if they slip up!
Old 03-12-2011, 22:30   #47
HenryKrinkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalgubbins View Post
To be fair, you are pretty unique...
...I take it you're quite happy with our current form then, limping to a one nil win against a very poor Villa team whilst the other title contenders are hitting their stride nicely?
Old 03-12-2011, 23:16   #48
pivotalgubbins
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKrinkle View Post
...I take it you're quite happy with our current form then, limping to a one nil win against a very poor Villa team whilst the other title contenders are hitting their stride nicely?
I'm far from happy, frankly we are playing like tripe. However, it is pretty much the same tripe we've been playing at this stage of the season for the five previous seasons, four of which we ended as Champions. It is all about result pre-Christmas and if you take away the fantasy football team that is City, we aren't doing too badly at all. Sadly, they have an unlimited budget, therefore a better team and an infinitely better squad. I'm honestly not sure how we can compete but you can be damn sure Fergie will try.

You talk of teams hitting their stride - who exactly? Spurs? Since they City demolition (where they were more woeful that us bar the freak injury time period when United went nuts) they've had a tidy run of games - Arsenal were beaten at their lowest point and after the drubbing against us, Liverpool were down to ten in less than half an hour so whilst it is a good result they are hardly world beaters. They are doing very well but they haven't got the experience so no-one knows how they will respond to pressure, King will get injured at some point that'll harm them greatly and losing Modric, Parker or Ade for a long period will do similar. I love the football they are playing though so wouldn't wish too many ills on them (provided they stay behind us).

Arsenal? They've done extremely well but they've had a good run of fixtures too, we still lead them by 7 points too. Chelsea? You have to be kidding me, they are a disaster and a win at an over-achieving Newcastle side isn't going to change my opinion. If Luiz had walked today that could of easily been another defeat. Liverpool? Lucas is a huge loss, they look weak at the back, over-reliant on Suarez and will drop points. Even if they win tomorrow, we still have a 7 point gap over them.

Our form has to improve, we have to get the midfield sorted (in the short-term, all we can hope for is that Cleverly gets fit and quickly), get a regular and fit defence and sort Evra's head out (he should be sold in the summer), creep past Basle and take maximum advantage of the kind festive fixture list - then take stock in January.

I can't see how the constant, non-stop criticism of Fergie and the team by some posters on here is warranted - they are open to criticism like anybody else, but who else do you want in charge? How would you wave that magic wand and change things? You'd genuinely think Fergie deserves the sack and the entire team should be sold by some of the comments - it is crazy. I think most people realise that we don't have the cash for a midfielder, or at least not the player of the quality Fergie desires and therefore he defends the owners by using the 'no value' card - that may be a mistake in itself (or so I believe) but the idea that he doesn't see the teams shortcomings is nonsense. We have some of the most exciting talent coming through too - Jones, Smalling, Welbeck - all brilliant addition and they will get better.

Frankly, calling Rooney a muppet is beyond belief, he always scores his goals in bursts (bar one season) yet he is integral to the side - another poster claiming this is the 'worst United side he has watched' - ******* mental. This team has had unprecedented success in the PL-era, won 4 our of the last 5 PL titles, has crushed rivals already this season and will, without doubt, come out the other side of this blip. As we have done before. When we do though, the worst thing will be that it won't be appreciated, but simply expected and that is sad. Football goes in cycles and I can't imagine another man that could have manipulated ours to last as long as it has.

Last edited by pivotalgubbins; 03-12-2011 at 23:17.
Old 04-12-2011, 00:38   #49
Pisces Iscariot
The Pumpkin Smasher

Current form is hardly inspiring and last week demonstrated the fragility of these 1-0 leads where all it takes is a mistake or bad decision to cost us 3 points. It's unfortunate that Rooney, Nani and Young have all lost form recently but if we can keep grinding out wins then it's just a matter of time before at least one hits form and that will make things a lot easier. This United team isn't even the worst of the last decade.

Worrying about City is futile - if they keep earning points at the current rate they'll end up with over 100 and that's not something United can compete with. No team Fergie has put together would be capable of matching that.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:30   #50
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pivotalgubbins View Post

Frankly, calling Rooney a muppet is beyond belief, he always scores his goals in bursts (bar one season) yet he is integral to the side - another poster claiming this is the 'worst United side he has watched' - ******* mental.
Rooney is a good player but nowhere near as good as his Ł250,000 a week pay is. Here you go, calling people childish names, there's a whole load of people on Red Cafe with the same thoughts as me, my quote is nothing to what many people over there think. Take your Red tinged glasses off & come into the real united world. I will agree with you that we do seem to play like this at this time of the season, lets hope we come out the other side this time.

PS. While we are talking about glasses try to quote me correctly.
"This must be one of the worst United teams I have ever watched. Can't pass, can't score from corners, struggle to even score."
Perhaps you can tell me what is wrong with the whole statement, as recent results & play back it up fully.

Oh! Did you actually watch the game?

Last edited by MICON; 04-12-2011 at 09:43.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:23   #51
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Some things never change. Heskey's shot that went for a throw-in in the last minute

Click
Old 04-12-2011, 10:26   #52
Guest 1724
XBL: pennepacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pisces Iscariot View Post
Worrying about City is futile - if they keep earning points at the current rate they'll end up with over 100 and that's not something United can compete with. No team Fergie has put together would be capable of matching that.
Very good point. Our points total for the time of the season is excellent. City have just been freakishly good so far and unless they start to slip up it is a battle for second IMHO, as just hanging on to their coat tails is tricky at the moment.

Doesn't change the fact that we have been distinctly uninspiring in a lot of games, but as has been mentioned that is pretty much par for the course.

Still want a new midfielder in January or next summer, though

Last edited by Art Vanderlay; 04-12-2011 at 10:27.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:27   #53
platty
XBL Gamertag: PlattyStu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dawg View Post
Some things never change. Heskey's shot that went for a throw-in in the last minute

Click
I thought he'd retired ....well perhaps he should after that anyway
Old 04-12-2011, 12:09   #54
joconnor
(,O'.')-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
This must be one of the worst United teams I have ever watched. Can't pass, can't score from corners, struggle to even score.
You must not be watching Utd very long then.
Old 04-12-2011, 14:46   #55
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

City away in the fa cup. Fix!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 14:54   #56
madstu
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
City away in the fa cup. Fix!!!
Time to get some revenge, hopefully we will have some of the injured back by then?
Old 04-12-2011, 14:55   #57
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Easy.
Old 04-12-2011, 15:01   #58
MICON
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joconnor View Post
You must not be watching Utd very long then.
I endured about 90 minutes of it.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31   #59
SteM
Just Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MICON View Post
I endured about 90 minutes of it.
Be serious for a second, do you really think this is one of the worst United teams you've ever watched? I know we're all been spoiled over the last few years but there is no way this is the one of the worst sides over the last 30 years.

It's one that seems to be desperately short of confidence and is certainly being made to look mediocre by a rampant and very expensive City side in the league and by Barca in Europe. That is all.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22   #60
Fever Dawg
Genetically different

Struggling to think of poorer set of first choice midfielders over the last 30 tbh.
Closed Thread