Go Back   Forums @ The Digital Fix > Entertainment Discussion Forums > Sports Forum

Closed Thread

Old 28-11-2011, 19:52   #101
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBrunt View Post
My argument would be you make it sound like he is the only player in the league who does it - which is clearly not the case and he is definitely not the worst one.

Not saying it makes it right but let's start seeing other players getting ripped to shreads about it. As I said, Suarez's actions have barely warranted a mention until Ferguson outright called him a "diver".
Sounds like you're making excuses for him. I am against all players diving and I hate when they feign injury even more......and I criticise every one of them I see, no matter what team they play for.
It makes it worse that its one of our players, because I think we have been historically very good in that regard.
Old 28-11-2011, 20:15   #102
LouBarlow
Retired Member

Quote:
My argument would be you make it sound like he is the only player in the league who does it - which is clearly not the case and he is definitely not the worst one.
He's by far the worst player I've seen for it, including Ronaldo, Drogba and even Klinsmann
Old 28-11-2011, 20:20   #103
stu_69
prohibido

One thing in Saurez's favour (and it's clutching here) is he normally just gets up and walks it off if he gets nothing. He's not one for rolling round holding his face when he gets a knock on the foot, calling for the physio etc and having to go off for a few minutes. Also he stays on his feet in the box but He tries it on too much elsewhere.

He does seems to get a hiding from defenders (something Torres got as well) but doesn't get much from refs.

Kompany went in a few times with studs showing yesterday but the ref did nothing. As much as Suarez' diving and messing about needs to be cut out, flying in on tackles should be punished.

Also all the **** from Mancini about Liverpool players getting Baloteli sent off is ******. Both cards were stupid but warranted. He got himself sent off.
Old 28-11-2011, 21:04   #104
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBarlow View Post
He's by far the worst player I've seen for it, including Ronaldo, Drogba and even Klinsmann
Lets not go overboard
Old 28-11-2011, 22:28   #105
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_69 View Post
He does seems to get a hiding from defenders (something Torres got as well) but doesn't get much from refs.

Kompany went in a few times with studs showing yesterday but the ref did nothing. As much as Suarez' diving and messing about needs to be cut out, flying in on tackles should be punished.
That's exactly the point and the refs need to be good enough to spot the difference. Sadly most of them aren't and it makes it worse when the media lead them into a witchhunt.

It could quite easily be argued that, having already been booked, Kompany was extremely lucky to play the full 90 minutes yesterday.
Old 28-11-2011, 22:41   #106
MaxNutter

Thanked 1,025 Times in 596 Posts
Quote:
Not saying it makes it right but let's start seeing other players getting ripped to shreads about it. As I said, Suarez's actions have barely warranted a mention until Ferguson outright called him a "diver".
what, and now he's living up to it?
Old 28-11-2011, 22:53   #107
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

No - cos he is no more a diver than plenty of other players in the league. If you don't watch Liverpool all the time then you don't know that he gets fouled a hell of a lot more times than he, aleegedly, 'dives' but highlights will never show that.

It means refs are now interpreting actual fouls as him diving. Suarez has barely been given anything since Fergie said what he did which means either (a) he was very good at diving and was conning refs all the time before Ferguson said anything but the refs have now, somehow, wised up or (b) he is not playing any differently and yet is getting less decisions now because a seed of doubt, so to speak has been planted.

As I've said before is that what makes it worse is that it was Fergie who said it - you know the guy who manages/ed Berbatov, Rooney, Young, Evra and Ronaldo. It doesn't take much to wonder what would happen if Dalglish was to claim on live TV that Rooney and Young were divers.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-11-2011 at 22:54.
Old 28-11-2011, 22:59   #108
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

Did Mark Lawrenson say Suarez was a diver before or after Fergie?

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2011/10...a-need-to.html
Old 28-11-2011, 23:00   #109
MaxNutter

Quote:
As I've said before is that what makes it worse is that it was Fergie who said it - you know the guy who manages/ed Berbatov, Rooney, Young, Evra and Ronaldo. It doesn't take much to wonder what would happen if Dalglish was to claim on live TV that Rooney and Young were divers.
I think you might be putting too much credence into Fergie's opinion, but there you go...

Show me a team that doesn't have the odd diver in it? it's been going on for years... i seem to remember Barnes being a little 'top-heavy'...

I think Daglish should come out with something like that, see where it gets him. He's certainly got the gravitas to pull it off...
Old 28-11-2011, 23:03   #110
d2000s
Trusted User

If he was honest, he could complain about refs, but he's not. Not all fouls are clear cut and when it comes giving the benefit of the doubt to one side, its natural to go against the player shown to go down easy and feign injury.
"Other players do it too" is a pretty rubbish defence if you ask me. And its irrelevant what ferguson said, if people didn't have examples of him up to his antics like above, it wouldn't be an issue.
He's a great player and i hope he gets us plenty of goals this season, but he needs to stop doing this.... would you not agree?
Old 28-11-2011, 23:10   #111
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
Did Mark Lawrenson say Suarez was a diver before or after Fergie?

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2011/10...a-need-to.html
That will be after seeing as Fergie mentioned it in his post-match interview after the LFC v Man U game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxNutter View Post
I think you might be putting too much credence into Fergie's opinion, but there you go...
I don't. How many times have you seen the press round on Ferguson ? They cow tail to him every time.

Quote:
I think Daglish should come out with something like that, see where it gets him. He's certainly got the gravitas to pull it off...
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2000s View Post
He's a great player and i hope he gets us plenty of goals this season, but he needs to stop doing this.... would you not agree?
Maybe he'll stop doing once refs start giving him freekicks wheneve stuff like this happens:

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-11-2011 at 23:15.
Old 28-11-2011, 23:14   #112
rustybin
Xbox/PSN Tag: Rustybin69

You are insane Adam. Fergie refused to give interviews to the BBC for half a generation because of a falling out over unflattering reporting about Ferguson's family.
Old 28-11-2011, 23:15   #113
MaxNutter

Quote:
See above
for what?

you think the press would or wouldn't listen to Daglish?

it's not about the press, it's about the referees. are you saying that they are influenced by Fergie's words, even in the games not involving United?

I think you give him too much credit.
Old 28-11-2011, 23:28   #114
d2000s
Trusted User

Quote:
Maybe he'll stop doing once refs start giving him freekicks wheneve stuff like this happens:

You can't be that deluded
Old 28-11-2011, 23:29   #115
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybin View Post
You are insane Adam. Fergie refused to give interviews to the BBC for half a generation because of a falling out over unflattering reporting about Ferguson's family.
6 years is hardly "half a generation". And don't be surprised to see a lifetime award at this year's Sports Personality to 'welcome him back' But how many other media outlets have stood up against him ? Nonr (if any) - they are all too keen to keep their OT press passes.

Quote:
you think the press would or wouldn't listen to Daglish?
They might do but IMHO they'd pay more attention to Ferguson

Quote:
it's not about the press, it's about the referees. are you saying that they are influenced by Fergie's words, even in the games not involving United?
Poll and Winter have already admitted they were. Hardly the greatest refs of all time but ...
Old 28-11-2011, 23:38   #116
d2000s
Trusted User

Oh ffs! I give up
Old 28-11-2011, 23:45   #117
Guest 12934
Trusted User

Quote:
he isn't getting the decisions he deserves because Fergie has already called him a "diver" and the refs just listen to everything Fergie says [ our very next game against Norwich being a case in point ]

And I am the only person seeing clear contact between Kompany's and Suarez's boots ? Doesn't mean it's a foul but there is definitely contact.
Quote:
Possibly a foul on Suarez, possibly not, possibly a foul by Suarez.......... but not really the point. The issue is that Suarez is not going to be hurt from that, more likely Kompany would, yet Suarez goes down as if he's been set on fire.......no need to behave like that and not what I want to see from Liverpool players.
Yes there was "contact", football is still a contact sport. Suarez made an absolute meal of that challenge and looked foolish because it was so blatant.
In fact, looking at that clip again it could very easily be argued that Suarez goes in with studs showing and if anything he committed the offence.

Quote:

You really should get over your Fersuson infatuation. He's not Sauron, just another grumpy Scot.

Quote:
One thing in Saurez's favour (and it's clutching here) is he normally just gets up and walks it off if he gets nothing. He's not one for rolling round holding his face when he gets a knock on the foot, calling for the physio etc and having to go off for a few minutes. Also he stays on his feet in the box but He tries it on too much elsewhere.
In that little clip on the previous page he's holding his head as he's sitting on the ground after the challenge.

Quote:
That's exactly the point and the refs need to be good enough to spot the difference. Sadly most of them aren't and it makes it worse when the media lead them into a witchhunt.

It could quite easily be argued that, having already been booked, Kompany was extremely lucky to play the full 90 minutes yesterday.
You have a point about Kompany, but that doesn't mean that Suarez didn't spend half the game diving

Quote:
If he was honest, he could complain about refs, but he's not. Not all fouls are clear cut and when it comes giving the benefit of the doubt to one side, its natural to go against the player shown to go down easy and feign injury.
"Other players do it too" is a pretty rubbish defence if you ask me. And its irrelevant what ferguson said, if people didn't have examples of him up to his antics like above, it wouldn't be an issue.
Well said.
The frustrating thing is he is a great player so he shouldn't need to resort to the theatrics. All the talent he has will be tarnished if he continues like this, which would be a shame.

Quote:

From that angle that does indeed look like a foul (I genuinely can't remember it from the game), but again Suarez makes an absolute meal of it, you'd think his kneecaps had been shot off.
Old 28-11-2011, 23:50   #118
AdamBrunt
Trusted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post
From that angle that does indeed look like a foul (I genuinely can't remember it from the game), but again Suarez makes an absolute meal of it, you'd think his kneecaps had been shot off.
So what's a player to do in that scenario ? Barely react at all and 99% of the time get nothing ? Or 'over react' to make sure the ref notices ?

BTW, that clip was the foul that Kompany actually got booked for (which is surprising if you based your thoughts on how Kompany reacts to clearly fouling the player, just as bad as what Suarez does no ?) but that wasn't the only foul like it.

Last edited by AdamBrunt; 28-11-2011 at 23:52.
Old 29-11-2011, 00:00   #119
stu_69
prohibido

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseflesh View Post

In that little clip on the previous page he's holding his head as he's sitting on the ground after the challenge.
From what I remember from the game he hit himself in the head when he threw himself to the ground. He got up straight away.

He's not the worst diver ever or even in the league but he needs to cut it out.
Old 29-11-2011, 00:06   #120
MaxNutter

Quote:
From what I remember from the game he hit himself in the head when he threw himself to the ground. He got up straight away.

He's not the worst diver ever or even in the league but he needs to cut it out.
i'm not saying he is, but who do you think is worse?
Closed Thread